Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 7, '10, 11:34 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic, and proud of it
Default Blessed Sacramental

I wear a crucifix that was blessed by our parish priest. Later, I was wearing it at a conference with Fr Coropi, and he performed a blessing for any religious articles we may have had with us.

This got me thinking. If I was to wear this crucifix to Rome, and the Pope performed a general blessing for holy items like rosaries, crucifixes, etc, would my crucifix be "triply blessed"? Would it be legitimate for me to pass this on to my children and future grand children and tell them it was blessed by the Pope?

(full disclosure: I posted this under the Ask the Apologist section, but then decided it might be a good general post as well. No answer from the brain trust yet...)
Old Oct 8, '10, 3:39 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Blessed Sacramental

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSharkey View Post
I wear a crucifix that was blessed by our parish priest. Later, I was wearing it at a conference with Fr Coropi, and he performed a blessing for any religious articles we may have had with us.

This got me thinking. If I was to wear this crucifix to Rome, and the Pope performed a general blessing for holy items like rosaries, crucifixes, etc, would my crucifix be "triply blessed"? Would it be legitimate for me to pass this on to my children and future grand children and tell them it was blessed by the Pope?

(full disclosure: I posted this under the Ask the Apologist section, but then decided it might be a good general post as well. No answer from the brain trust yet...)
Hi Doc,

There are no degrees involved in a blessed sacramental. If your crucifix was blessed by your parish priest and then again by Fr. Coropi (one of my favorite priests ) then it is just as blessed as before Fr. Coropi blessed it. If the Holy Father were to bless another sacramental it would be no more blessed than your crucifix which was blessed by 2 priests nor my rosary which was blessed by 1 priest.

Having said that, I do have a rosary which I had blessed by Pope John Paul II when I went to Rome in 1984. I still prefer to use my "regular" rosary which was blessed by a parish priest many years ago though.

God bless.
Old Oct 8, '10, 6:34 am

During his Wednesday audience, the Holy Father will ask people to hold up any items they may have that they wish to be blessed, and he will bestow the Apostolic Blessing upon the crowd. However, once an item has been blessed, as noted by Tietjen, it remains blessed, and therefore needs no further blessing.

But yes, I do have a rosary (and some other items from my trip to Rome in 2000) blessed by Pope John Paul II, and a single decade rosary blessed by Pope Benedict XVI.

Old Oct 8, '10, 7:58 am

I have a beautiful cameo brooch of Our Mother of Perpetual Help that once belonged to my mother. Knowing my mother, I'm sure it must have been blessed. However, several years ago, I had it touched to a relic of the true cross that belonged to the late Fr. Luke Zimmer, a priest with the charismatic gift of healing. Later, I wore it on a pilgrimage to the Holy Land. When I look at it, It reminds me of all those places that I visited where Our Lord and our Blessed Mother walked and the special events in their lives. I know that it only needs to be blessed once, but it is special to me because it is an image of Our Mother of Perpetual Help, because it belonged to my mother, and for all of the above reasons.
Old Oct 8, '10, 8:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by zab View Post
I have a beautiful cameo brooch of Our Mother of Perpetual Help that once belonged to my mother. Knowing my mother, I'm sure it must have been blessed. However, several years ago, I had it touched to a relic of the true cross that belonged to the late Fr. Luke Zimmer, a priest with the charismatic gift of healing. Later, I wore it on a pilgrimage to the Holy Land. When I look at it, It reminds me of all those places that I visited where Our Lord and our Blessed Mother walked and the special events in their lives. I know that it only needs to be blessed once, but it is special to me because it is an image of Our Mother of Perpetual Help, because it belonged to my mother, and for all of the above reasons.
How wonderful that is and how blessed you are. Surely, if you aren't sure if something is blessed, than have it blessed. And there is no real 'harm' that comes from having something blessed twice, but it is the idea that the original blessing provides you with the same protections and blessings that you would receive on the second.

Old Oct 8, '10, 8:39 am
Banned

Quote:

This got me thinking. If I was to wear this crucifix to Rome, and the Pope performed a general blessing for holy items like rosaries, crucifixes, etc, would my crucifix be "triply blessed"?
Yes. If you put an item in front of three different priests and each one of them blesses it, then the item has been blessed three times. If you bring it to 1000 different priests and each one blesses it, then it's been blessed 1000 times. But what does that mean? What is a blessing? What does it do to the item?

It doesn't do anything to it, whether once or 1000 times. The item isn't changed in any way; a medal is not thereby "activated" somehow. A medal is an inanimate object and will never be "activated" no matter how many times a priest makes the sign of the Cross over it, or how much Holy Water he sprinkles on it. But then, of course, that isn't the point of a blessing, to act like the spark of electricity that brings Frankenstein to life. A blessing isn't magic; it isn't a Sacrament, either.

A blessing is an approbation, a sharing of favour, an expression of approval. When a girl wants to marry a boy, she asks her father for his blessing: his approval. If he verbally approves of the marriage three times, rather than just one time, is there a difference? No. The approval was expressed: the blessing was given, the fact that same approval was expressed three times doesn't make it more meaningful than an approval that had been expressed only once.

If you have a medal or a rosary blessed by a clergyman, basically you're asking him to ask God to smile down upon it. Does that do anything to it. No. That sort of a blessing is done to honor God more than to benefit the item.

Last edited by Pregustator; Oct 8, '10 at 8:51 am.
Old Oct 8, '10, 9:04 am

It is an honor to God because you are asking a priest to dedicate prayers through the sacred image/relic/item. However, it does have an effect to it as well, and you touched on it but I think somewhat lightly.

When an object is blessed, such as a rosary, the priest normally asks for special petitions and attention to the intentions of those praying the rosary. So in that sense, it is asking God to look favorably upon us, especially when using (praying with/in the presence of, wearing, etc) the blessed object. In my experiences with my Crucifix and Scapular, the priest has asked God to offer special protection and the Blessed Virgin Mary to pray for me when I wear those items. So every time I put on my Crucifix or scapular, I trust that God watches over me and the Virgin Mary intercedes for me. It isn't merely asking God to 'smile down on me', and it is certainly different than a future father-in-law granting approval to a wedding.

I'm not saying that because I had my Crucifix blessed, it will automatically save me from all sin, danger, injury, or temptation. However, I do feel that because that object has been dedicated to the service of God, if it be His Holy Will, God will watch over me. Again, not physically changed, but mentally and emotionally and spiritually strengthened. And that is more than merely a gesture.

Old Oct 8, '10, 9:31 am
Banned

Quote:
In my experiences with my Crucifix and Scapular, the priest has asked God to offer special protection and the Blessed Virgin Mary to pray for me when I wear those items.
Well, think about that. Do you think that God really offers you "special" protection when you wear those things, but less-special protection when you don't? Does God slack off or somehow become stingy and not protect you as well as He would if you were wearing the blessed medal? No, of course not.
Old Oct 8, '10, 9:40 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian! Catholic! Disciple of Jesus of Nazareth!

Quote:

Yes...if it would be blessed by the Pope (or other Bishop) and if it were a crucifix, cross, medal, scapular or rosary there IS a difference

In addition to the fact that it was blessed by the Pope....There would be a plenary indulgence attached to it to be gained on the solemnity of Sts Peter and Paul (see the handbook of indulgences) (one would use it that day and make a profession of faith with an approved creed (and the usual conditions)

If they are blessed by a Priest or Deacon (or Pope or Bishop..) there is also a partial indulgence that can be gained anytime via devote use and intention...

(Oh also as a side note...one could say too that it can be reseasonably said that if a Priest etc were particularly holy...his blessing can reflect such (and if he becomes a "Blessed or Saint" one will have a crucifix blessed by such...)...But of course remember it is not superstition..read the ccc on sacramentals..http://www.vatican.va/archive/catechism/p2s2c4a1.htm and one own Faith enters in...as I would assume the person who blesses the item would too..just as in any prayer...)
Old Oct 8, '10, 9:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pregustator View Post
Well, think about that. Do you think that God really offers you "special" protection when you wear those things, but less-special protection when you don't? Does God slack off or somehow become stingy and not protect you as well as He would if you were wearing the blessed medal? No, of course not.
If you pray for God to protect you, what happens? I have a prayer I say every night before bed (from the Angelus 1962 Roman Missal) that can be found here: http://aeternus.stblogs.com/?p=696

Now what happens if I don't say that prayer. It doesn't mean God will have someone break in and do my damage, but how can He answer what one doesn't ask for?

The way you are speaking, it seems like you either have obvious issues with prayer (because my point is that, by wearing a blessed object, that itself is offering a prayer to God) and what one 'receives' from it.

And think about the purely spiritual aspects. By engaging in prayer, or putting on these sacred objects, such as a blessed Crucifix, it is devoting both myself and the object to the service of God. This strengthens me against acts of temptation. Trust me - just imagine committing a mortal sin while wearing the depiction of True Love offering up Himself to the point of death on a Cross around your neck, and tell me that it doesn't have an effect on resisting temptation. I'm not saying prayer guarantees physical benefits, but it surely does provide spiritual ones.

Old Oct 8, '10, 9:56 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pregustator View Post
Yes...they be a further prayer and means of protection..same as when one person prays for protection and another does not...prayers are important..as are the use of sacramentals..which are a prayer of sorts..of the Church and the person...and perhaps the Saint who is asked to pray etc.

Of course of greatest importance is ones Baptism...one being in Christ and in a State of Grace...living a prayerful and sacramental life....

But yes sacramentals can be good means of seeking protection ...and demons do not like them....as in the case with a person who is possessed ...they react against them...and such are used by the Church in the exorcism etc

or when a house is infested demonically...they are part of the de-infesting..along with living a holy life and prayer in the place...

But again it comes from the intercession and blessing of the Church ...the faith of the person using them...the intercession of the Saint or Our Lady etc...

they are one means among others..but are very good means.
Old Oct 8, '10, 9:57 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:

I am not sure I understand the question
the article has been blessed by your priest, Father Corapi, and the Pope. Is it okay to tell your children this? yes. is there some reason you think not? there is nothing else you have to do with a blessed sacramental except put it to the use for which it was intended. Pray the rosary, wear the scapular etc. with all that is involved in those particular devotions.
Old Oct 8, '10, 10:02 am
Forum Elder

PS (of course other things too are "blessed by the Pope" and such is still special...just not in my understanding with the plenary indulgence unless it is one of those items listed above)
Old Oct 8, '10, 10:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie View Post
I am not sure I understand the question
the article has been blessed by your priest, Father Corapi, and the Pope. Is it okay to tell your children this? yes. is there some reason you think not? there is nothing else you have to do with a blessed sacramental except put it to the use for which it was intended. Pray the rosary, wear the scapular etc. with all that is involved in those particular devotions.
I think the OP was stating that an article was blessed by a priest, and then Father Corapi. So they began to wonder if the article could receive a third blessing from the Holy Father, and if it received such a blessing, would it be considered 'blessed by the Pope' or not, having been already blessed by a priest.

The main point of my argument (originally) was that it was unnecessary to have something blessed twice, but it does no 'harm' to do so. I guess it is like receiving the Eucharist as both Body and Blood of Christ. You get no additional graces from receiving it a second time, but it isn't a negative thing to do so.

Old Oct 8, '10, 10:50 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbles140 View Post
The main point of my argument (originally) was that it was unnecessary to have something blessed twice, but it does no 'harm' to do so. I guess it is like receiving the Eucharist as both Body and Blood of Christ. You get no additional graces from receiving it a second time, but it isn't a negative thing to do so.
But this is not the case...read my post above...a Popes Blessing is very different than an ordinary priest...(with certain articles there is even the plen indulgence attached!)

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments