Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 8, '10, 9:00 pm

Religion: Catholic - RCIA
Default Long Hair on Men?

Sorry if this seems flippant as a first real question on this forum, but it's the sort of thing that struck me this Friday evening...

I am attending RCIA classes and am excited about joining the Church (had been an Atheist for 8 years before converting to Christianity a month ago, then decided to join the Catholic Church).

I'm wondering if there is any sort of Church stance on how men wear their hair. I was used to having long hair, then cut it all off and am now growing it back. I don't want this to be a fashion discussion or opinions on guys with long hair, but does the Church actually care? I apologize if this seems like a stupid question but sometimes I'm shocked by what bothers the Church, so I'm just curious.

Thanks, and have a great evening!
Old Oct 8, '10, 9:09 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Long Hair on Men?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdGen View Post
Sorry if this seems flippant as a first real question on this forum, but it's the sort of thing that struck me this Friday evening...

I am attending RCIA classes and am excited about joining the Church (had been an Atheist for 8 years before converting to Christianity a month ago, then decided to join the Catholic Church).

I'm wondering if there is any sort of Church stance on how men wear their hair. I was used to having long hair, then cut it all off and am now growing it back. I don't want this to be a fashion discussion or opinions on guys with long hair, but does the Church actually care? I apologize if this seems like a stupid question but sometimes I'm shocked by what bothers the Church, so I'm just curious.

The Church doesn't have a "stance" on everything--she isn't out to micromanage us. Hair length is mostly a cultural norm. If you want to grow your hair out long, there's nothing wrong with that.

Congratulations on entering RCIA, and be assured of my prayers as you progress toward the Easter Sacraments!

-ACEGC

Lumen in Caelo
Old Oct 8, '10, 9:12 pm

Send a message via AIM to Gigglin4God Send a message via MSN to Gigglin4God Send a message via Yahoo to Gigglin4God

I have been Catholic since birth and have seen many men in my life come into the Church with long hair. To me it doesnt matter how you look. It is the fact that you are going. I know if you were to come into the church that I belong to, I would welcome you with a hug and invite you to sit with me. Remember that Jesus and Mary love you so much. If you need a friend to talk to I am always here. Welcome to the Catholic Church my Brother.
Old Oct 8, '10, 9:21 pm

My late fiancÚ was a very devout Catholic, and his (gorgeous) hair was mid-back length.

"Long hair" is a subjective term anyway. I don't consider hair to be long until you can sit on it.

Miz
Old Oct 8, '10, 10:00 pm

Thank you all for the responses, it is a misconception "from the outside looking in" that Catholics have rules for absolutely everything. I'm being pleasantly surprised by how accepting everyone is, I've met so many great people at my RCIA classes and am having a great time diving into my faith and learning as much as I can!
Old Oct 8, '10, 10:18 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Cradle Roman Catholic

Quote:

I would say you may never cut your hair for the rest of your life if you wish. You have to accept what bothers the Church, but don't worry about what bothers your fellow parishioners. If they take offense to your appearance, then they come to Mass for the wrong reasons.

Welcome home
Old Oct 8, '10, 10:53 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Thank you all for the responses, it is a misconception "from the outside looking in" that Catholics have rules for absolutely everything. I'm being pleasantly surprised by how accepting everyone is, I've met so many great people at my RCIA classes and am having a great time diving into my faith and learning as much as I can!
The state of your heart is all that matters. Oh, and this: You should always wear at least some clothing. Other than that, welcome! Ask questions. Lots of them.
Old Oct 8, '10, 11:59 pm

Quote:
It doesn't matter if men have long hair. Dressing/grooming oneself in certain ways with the intention of being offensive to others or rebellious against legitimate authority may be sinful though.

A nation that kills its own children is a nation without a future.- Pope John Paul II.
Old Oct 9, '10, 12:40 am

I had to laugh a bit at this column. Several years ago a woman joined the Church through our RCIA program. Her husband, a rather quiet, reticent person, was Catholic, and had a pony tail.

Two weeks ago I was at our local Trappist abbey, and saw a guy I thought looked vaguely familiar. Until I say his wife, I couldn't figure out why; then I realized: he had something close to a buzz cut! Without the pony tail, I didn't really recognize him.
Old Oct 9, '10, 4:00 am
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

I believe one of the factors contributing to various societies' denial of long hair on men is merely one of differentiation. We are not supposed to be like women, and women traditionally wear their hair long; therefore, we should not wear our hair long. Men are the responsible caretakers of a society, the protectors, and the lovers of women in safekeeping. The subject is the man; the object is the woman; the goal is children; the action is conjugal in nature, scholastically-speaking. All things being equal, it would be best for men to be as differentiated from women as possible: a duality of long hair/short hair, work/stay at home, and masculine/feminine ought to be the norm.

Men who wear their hair long lack a certain regularity of grooming, and discipline of spirit. There is a fussiness and femininity in wishing to have the hair long and beautiful. It is women who are naturally adorned by long hair and jewelry and such things, and they are meant to be ornamented in order to exaggerate the characteristics which God created in them. Remember that none of the images of Our Lord with long hair, for example, are actually based on the Bible or other recorded history, so let's not get into that. There are famous frescoes depicting Jesus in glory with short hair and clean-shaven face, both done in order to go head-to-head against Satan in battle. Males are predominantly short-haired because of Roman military tradition, which so influenced our society. Be clean, and be short... do not imitate the fickleness of women (our beloved sisters, regardless).

All that being said, if you are very much attached to it, just as the Gauls of the 6th century, do as you think God allows. For His own sake, though, please do it out of a logical will, and not because you feel like it. Everything should be done considering its proper object, which is God's glorification. If other men are likely to be scandalised by your long hair, it will detract from God's glory when they sin in anger or rumour against you. Why not just cut the hair short? Sorry if I seem to be somewhat of a devil's advocate, but long hair in Christianity was always associated with distant pagans and newcomer barbarians.
Old Oct 9, '10, 4:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloriousOrder View Post
I believe one of the factors contributing to various societies' denial of long hair on men is merely one of differentiation. We are not supposed to be like women, and women traditionally wear their hair long; therefore, we should not wear our hair long. Men are the responsible caretakers of a society, the protectors, and the lovers of women in safekeeping. The subject is the man; the object is the woman; the goal is children; the action is conjugal in nature, scholastically-speaking. All things being equal, it would be best for men to be as differentiated from women as possible: a duality of long hair/short hair, work/stay at home, and masculine/feminine ought to be the norm.

Men who wear their hair long lack a certain regularity of grooming, and discipline of spirit. There is a fussiness and femininity in wishing to have the hair long and beautiful. It is women who are naturally adorned by long hair and jewelry and such things, and they are meant to be ornamented in order to exaggerate the characteristics which God created in them. Remember that none of the images of Our Lord with long hair, for example, are actually based on the Bible or other recorded history, so let's not get into that. There are famous frescoes depicting Jesus in glory with short hair and clean-shaven face, both done in order to go head-to-head against Satan in battle. Males are predominantly short-haired because of Roman military tradition, which so influenced our society. Be clean, and be short... do not imitate the fickleness of women (our beloved sisters, regardless).

All that being said, if you are very much attached to it, just as the Gauls of the 6th century, do as you think God allows. For His own sake, though, please do it out of a logical will, and not because you feel like it. Everything should be done considering its proper object, which is God's glorification. If other men are likely to be scandalised by your long hair, it will detract from God's glory when they sin in anger or rumour against you. Why not just cut the hair short? Sorry if I seem to be somewhat of a devil's advocate, but long hair in Christianity was always associated with distant pagans and newcomer barbarians.
The "civilized" Pontious Pilate is always depicted as having short hair, while Jesus' hair is long. Who would you rather he emulate?

And men can be just as vain as women about their hair and appearance. Just look at the pictures of the powdered and poufed men of the 17th century and 18th centuries. The disadvantage to having long hair is that someone could grab you by your ponytail and drag you off in battle
Old Oct 9, '10, 4:41 am
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Catholic View Post
The "civilized" Pontious Pilate is always depicted as having short hair, while Jesus' hair is long. Who would you rather he emulate?
Depictions may not be reality, after all. The Roman Catholic Church is often depicted as a pagan revival of cannibalism and pure evil, but we know the reality is otherwise There are certain natural-law norms which pinch every man's conscience, anyway. We should follow them, for they are the commands of God's Voice. I'd rather Jesus acted like a man, not that He didn't emulate the Romans in following the natural law. I firmly believe Jesus had short hair, like all the Apostles and Pharisees and Romans. Universality transcends!

Quote:
And men can be just as vain as women about their hair and appearance. Just look at the pictures of the powdered and poufed men of the 17th century and 18th centuries. The disadvantage to having long hair is that someone could grab you by your ponytail and drag you off in battle
Men can be just as vain as women, yes! I never said women are the sex most vain; truly, I myself have been vain sometimes. The point is that men should try not to be vain, and women should try not to be vain; however, certain ways of adornment fit women, whereas not men. Relativism must be destroyed in all quarters, not just in morality and theology. It is a worldwide application, my dear fellow!

By the way, the 17th century wigs you see on men like Vauban and Louis XIV always covered extremely short hair. Even the manliest of ages (Baroque, Counter-Reformative) can spawn degenerate practices.
Old Oct 9, '10, 5:40 am

Quote:
...the object is the woman;
I'm an OBJECT???

Maybe in your wildest dreams and/or your rich fantasy life.

Miz
Old Oct 9, '10, 8:08 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:

So what do you say to Byzantine priests and monks who wear their hair long, along with long beards? Are you saying they "lack a certain regularity of grooming and discipline of spirit?" I've met plenty of folks with buzz-cuts and no discipline who would put the lie to this.

Lumen in Caelo
Old Oct 9, '10, 10:09 am

Quote:

Thank you for the response, but I have to disagree with you on this. I won't attend to your first paragraph because that may work for some people, and not others.

"Men who wear their hair long lack a certain regularity of grooming, and discipline of spirit. There is a fussiness and femininity in wishing to have the hair long and beautiful..." This seems to be a generalization based in opinion only. Any argument from aesthetics is a two way street for short/long hair because both men keep their hair a certain way because of the "look".

I don't believe other men being "scandalized" by my appearance would detract from God's glory in any way. That would be a fault on their part, not mine. If anything, they may learn a thing or two about judging someone based solely on their hair style.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism