Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Oct 9, '10, 4:00 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic
Unhappy Fr Ignacio and the Rosary "Novena"

It's being circulated on the web to pray this "novena" (which consists of one Hail Mary, recited once and wait 4 days to see what happens!) Will these foolish emails ever stop!!!

A novena is a prayer or practice that is prayed for nine (9) consecutive days. The word "novena" means "9". At one time, November was the 9th month of the year, until the calendar was recalculated to include June and July.....but I digress! The novena was initiated by Jesus who told the apostles present at his Ascension to return to Jerusalem and pray until the coming of the Comforter....which they did! They stayed in seclusion, in prayer for 9 days. On the 10th day the Holy Spirit came upon them. (From our Bible Study on the Acts of the Apostles).

A novena is not a one time, one day prayer. And for heaven's sake, one must never tack on a magic formula of "wait 4 days and see what happens!" This is terrible! This is purely superstition.

I've also seen prayers attributed to Mother Teresa of Calcutta with Saint Therese's picture beside it! And they're always connected with some "magic forumula" that will guarantee success...or fortune...or some such nonsense.

How can we as Catholics stop this? I'm serious! It makes our faith seem so superficial and foolish.
Old Oct 9, '10, 5:47 pm

Default Re: Fr Ignacio and the Rosary "Novena"

The best thing to do is not forward it (of course) and then reply to the person who sent it to you with a link to, say, the OCE explaining what a proper Novena is.

Please make sure your correction of your neighbor is fraternal.
Old Oct 9, '10, 6:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodah View Post
It's being circulated on the web to pray this "novena" (which consists of one Hail Mary, recited once and wait 4 days to see what happens!) Will these foolish emails ever stop!!!

A novena is a prayer or practice that is prayed for nine (9) consecutive days. The word "novena" means "9". At one time, November was the 9th month of the year, until the calendar was recalculated to include June and July.....but I digress! The novena was initiated by Jesus who told the apostles present at his Ascension to return to Jerusalem and pray until the coming of the Comforter....which they did! They stayed in seclusion, in prayer for 9 days. On the 10th day the Holy Spirit came upon them. (From our Bible Study on the Acts of the Apostles).

A novena is not a one time, one day prayer. And for heaven's sake, one must never tack on a magic formula of "wait 4 days and see what happens!" This is terrible! This is purely superstition.

I've also seen prayers attributed to Mother Teresa of Calcutta with Saint Therese's picture beside it! And they're always connected with some "magic forumula" that will guarantee success...or fortune...or some such nonsense.

How can we as Catholics stop this? I'm serious! It makes our faith seem so superficial and foolish.
I'm afraid there is no stopping the onslaught of these "miracle" messages. I've tried to explain to relatives and friends alike that this is just superstition, and we can't make God our magic genie, but a day or two later I get another one from the same people. They aren't hard-core sinners. They just want to keep hope alive. I think the Lord understands. Just delete them when you get them.
Old Oct 10, '10, 5:43 am
Book Club Member

But if I delete them, it proves that I don't love God!
Old Oct 10, '10, 6:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren 1of6 View Post
But if I delete them, it proves that I don't love God!
Don't worry about what other people think of you for not forwarding an email.

There are better ways of showing that you love God, like living out a Christian life.
Old Jan 20, '11, 10:50 am
Observing Member

Religion: CATHOLIC

Who is this man , fr. Ignacio ?
Old Feb 6, '11, 11:09 am
Observing Member

First of all, I also want to know if we can ask for intervention for prayer aside from Our Lady the Virgin Mary and the saints. I thought unless you are sanctioned by the Church, novenas of this type are not only invalid but serve no purpose for intervention. Can someone expand on this?

Second of all, I have to agree with Doodah because the same thing happens to me, but at the same time, you have to leave them alone and perhaps sending them this link will better inform them of What a Novena Is because so many are cafeteria Catholics who want to reinvent the wheel by twisting the rules without too much sacrifice or none at all... sort of like being a little bit pregnant... Its like being offered a beautiful job you've been longing for and then telling your new boss, well I don't like this rule or that rule, but instead I FEEL we should do it this way, your way is JUST NOT ACCEPTABLE...how many would dare do that when you are offered a job in today's market??? ...or some that even continue to go to communion even if its been 15 years plus since their last confession... I'm not trying to scorn anyone... I am not the perfect Catholic, but I do try... the priest at my last Sunday's mass made a very significant point... it seems the line to the confessional is alot shorter than the long lines to the communion line as of late... hmmm... Think about that one.

Thanks.
Old Mar 13, '14, 8:52 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: catholic

What harm is this novena to Father Ignacio? It gives people hope, and encourages prayer.
And aren't ALL prayers heard by the Lord? I can only see good coming from these prayers (novenas).
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence