Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 10, '10, 12:01 pm
Banned

Default What does the Bible say about Hell??

Where in the bible does it say that you will go to hell if you deny God? (give me verses)
Where does it say you will go to heaven if you follow God?

And..If someone born in Asia grew up there and never heard about Jesus, then died at a young age (say..20), would they go to hell?

Also, what happens if a baby is to past away, what happens to their soul?
Old Oct 10, '10, 3:20 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: What does the Bible say about Hell??

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunnyProtestant View Post
Where in the bible does it say that you will go to hell if you deny God? (give me verses)

And..If someone born in Asia grew up there and never heard about Jesus, then died at a young age (say..20), would they go to hell?

Also, what happens if a baby is to past away, what happens to their soul?
PunnyProtestant,

Welcome & God Bless you in your search for the Truth, which is Jesus Christ, our Lord & Savior!

Quick answer;

"On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?' 23 And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you evildoers.' " (MT 7:22-23)

HELL IS THE ABSENCE OF GOD!

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC);

This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church:

Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation. (CCC 847)

As regards children who have died without Baptism, the Church can only entrust them to the mercy of God, as she does in her funeral rites for them. Indeed, the great mercy of God who desires that all men should be saved, and Jesus' tenderness toward children which caused him to say: "Let the children come to me, do not hinder them," allow us to hope that there is a way of salvation for children who have died without Baptism. All the more urgent is the Church's call not to prevent little children coming to Christ through the gift of holy Baptism.(CCC 1261).

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Orra Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

(JOHN 6:35 & 48)

"For man has in his heart a law inscribed by God. . . . His conscience is man's most secret core and his sanctuary. There he is alone with God whose voice echoes in his depths." (CCC 1776).
Old Oct 10, '10, 7:43 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
=PunnyProtestant;7149775]Where in the bible does it say that you will go to hell if you deny God? (give me verses)
Mark 16:16 "....he who does not believe will be condemned"
2 TIm 2:12...if we deny him he will deny us"
Mat. 26:24 Concerning Judas "it would have been better for that man if he had not been born."
Quote:
Mark 16:16 "He who believes and is baptized will be saved"
Matt. 25:34 "Come o blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you..."
Luke 23:43 To the thief on the cross "Truly I say to you, today you will me with me in Paradise."
John 14:1-2 "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am."

Quote:
How will those be judged who have never heard of Christ? Paul tells us in Romans 2:14 “When Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law, since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accuse or excuse them. This will take place on the day when God will judge men's secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.”

Those who have never heard of Christ will be judged according to the natural law written on their hearts. The last line tells us when they will be judged “This will take place on the day when God will judge men's secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.”

Jesus tells us something very important. John 15:22 “If I had not come to them, they would not have sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin”
Jesus tells us that those to whom He has not come to will not have sin. Does this mean they go straight to heaven? No, we must take all of scripture. They will be judged by the natural law. written on their heart. Everyone is given the knowledge of right and wrong.. Jesus also tells us that when He does come to us , there is no excuse for sin and we will be judged accordingly if we reject Him.

Romans 10:14 “How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard?”
This means that we are all called to evangelize. How can someone believe in Christ if they have never heard of Christ? If someone who, through no fault of their own, has not heard of Christ their invincible ignorance may accuse or excuse them.

Quote:
Also, what happens if a baby is to pass away, what happens to their soul?
If they are baptized they go to heaven. If they are not baptized we leave that to the mercy of God.
Old Oct 11, '10, 8:37 pm

Hi puny
Go here for great information on this very subject

http://catholictreasury.info/books/e..._life/ev14.php
Old Oct 12, '10, 1:57 pm
Banned

Let me ask you this then, what about Gandhi? He was a very good, peaceful, kind and caring/loving man. He believed in Jesus, but not as the son of God. He agreed with christian teachings, but denied the bible and remained Hindu. Does this mean he will go to hell?
Old Oct 12, '10, 4:45 pm
Banned

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunnyProtestant View Post
Let me ask you this then, what about Gandhi? He was a very good, peaceful, kind and caring/loving man. He believed in Jesus, but not as the son of God. He agreed with christian teachings, but denied the bible and remained Hindu. Does this mean he will go to hell?

God only knows. However, Romans 10:13-15 "For 'everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved'. But how can they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how can they believe in him of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone to preach? And how can people preach unless they are sent."

We must remind ourselves to pray to the Lord of the harvest to send forth laborers into the harvest, for the harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few." May it be so, Lord God of the harvest... send forth your laborers into the fields that are white unto harvest in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ and in the power of your Holy Spirit. "For you are not desirous that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."
Old Oct 15, '10, 9:05 am

About Ghandi and whether or not he is in hell or will go to hell, I will give you my thoughts as a Catholic, but I am not an official word of the church, mind you.

Firstly man's ways are not God's ways. We may not be the judge of any man's soul, that is left to the Supreme Judge. And although the Church has been given the power to bind and loose, notice that she only declares those who are Saints in heaven, She never binds anyone to hell, that She leaves to the mercy of her Head, Jesus!

Remember Jesus the Truth, tells by His Word:
Not every one who says Lord, Lord will enter the Kingdom......
So this tells me that we will be surprised who we will see in heaven. Only those who are perfect as The Father is perfect, will be One in Him, and only God knows what that perfection is. In the eyes of the world, Ghandi "was a very good, peaceful, kind and caring/loving man", yes, but the world is not the one who judges in the final judgement.

Fact is we do not know the state of Ghandi's soul, or where he is right now. The only soul we should be putting our energy into would be our own. This is your journey, Puny! Not Ghandi's ... Just keep praying the Lord of the Harvest to set you free from anything that keeps you from entering His Kingdom, and then without your right hand knowing what your left hand is doing, keeping your heart on The Lord, listening to Him in prayer, Learning, and reflecting and praying, and I promise you, He will show you the straight path. keep the eyes of your soul on Him, and Trust in His mercy, ok?

Love in Christ,
.joan

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture