Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 10, '10, 7:25 pm

Religion: A man hoping to join the Catholic Church (currently in RCIA)
Default Deja Vu...?

What are your views on deja vu? Do you think it's a spiritual thing, just someone going crazy for a couple of seconds, or what?

And does the Church have an "official" position on this, or has a Bishop and/or Cardinal spoken about this phenomenon?

I'm asking because I had deja vu a couple of minutes ago. I was doing something I know for a fact I had a dream of doing a couple of months ago. It was kind of freaky.
Old Oct 10, '10, 8:58 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Deja Vu...?

No official position of the Church on this one. In Acts, Peter fell into a trance/ had a dream about slaughtering and eating some 4 legged animals that were previously forbidden in Jewish Tradition. Then, the Holy Spirit told him some men were coming to see him and to do what they asked. Soon thereafter, the men came and asked Peter to accompany them to their master's house, so he obediently went with them. Their master was a gentile, and Jews were forbidden to go and associate or eat with them, however Peter did so as he had been instructed by the Holy Spirit.

So, possibly you had one of those types of experiences, however the power of suggestion - perhaps subconsciously thinking about something, then dreaming of doing it, then actually doing it could just as easily have occurred. I've had experiences like that, too. I don't think it would be anyting more than either a rare coincidence or something planted in your subconscious and then following through on it later.

Have you ever had a Vuja-De experience....where you are one hundred percent sure that nothing like this has ever happened to you before.
Old Oct 11, '10, 10:14 am

Religion: Catholic- Former Baptist

That used to happen to me all the time, especially as a child.
I would dream something very vivid and then the next day it would happen in exact detail. Used to freak me out but my mother told me it happened to her sometimes too.

I'm a psychologist and I think we haven't fully discovered everything regarding our brains. Sometimes it can be a neural glitch and others maybe supernatural. Who knows.

Tiber Swim Team 2008

Please Remember the Souls in Purgatory.

Old Oct 11, '10, 11:17 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaustinaClare View Post
That used to happen to me all the time, especially as a child.
I would dream something very vivid and then the next day it would happen in exact detail. Used to freak me out but my mother told me it happened to her sometimes too.

I'm a psychologist and I think we haven't fully discovered everything regarding our brains. Sometimes it can be a neural glitch and others maybe supernatural. Who knows.
I don't mean to derail the thread, but I wonder if you could answer this question.

My understanding is that It has become known that people who experience road rage, actually chemical imbalances in their brain which causes them to loose control when they experience another driver do something to them, like cut them off.

If this is true, then a person who did such a thing, would not have committed mortal sin, because they did not act will free will.

Would this be right?

Jim
Old Oct 11, '10, 12:54 pm

Religion: Catholic- Former Baptist

There are differing views on this

Some people think that there is a brain malformation, for instance the Frontal Lobe which controls impulses and other parts which control emotion are damaged and the person isn't able to control their anger. This can be helped with medications and therapy to calm the anger.

Others think that this is just an excuse like the "twinkie" defense to allow people to behave poorly without consequences. People can get angry but they should be able to control themselves and make a decision about their behavior.

I have heard a lot about rage disorders and I do think that there may be something to them and that these people need help. People with depression for instance will experience anger that comes out of no where. As with all disorders, I don't think the Catholic church views them as a sin, but people need to seek help once they realize they have a problem. If they realize they have a problem and refuse to seek available help then that might be leaning more towards the sin. Of course I'm not a theologian.

I hope that wasn't confusing. These things can get so complicated when it comes to disorders and emotions.

Tiber Swim Team 2008

Please Remember the Souls in Purgatory.

Old Oct 11, '10, 12:57 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
There are differing views on this

Some people think that there is a brain malformation, for instance the Frontal Lobe which controls impulses and other parts which control emotion are damaged and the person isn't able to control their anger. This can be helped with medications and therapy to calm the anger.

Others think that this is just an excuse like the "twinkie" defense to allow people to behave poorly without consequences. People can get angry but they should be able to control themselves and make a decision about their behavior.

I have heard a lot about rage disorders and I do think that there may be something to them and that these people need help. People with depression for instance will experience anger that comes out of no where. As with all disorders, I don't think the Catholic church views them as a sin, but people need to seek help once they realize they have a problem. If they realize they have a problem and refuse to seek available help then that might be leaning more towards the sin. Of course I'm not a theologian.

I hope that wasn't confusing. These things can get so complicated when it comes to disorders and emotions.
Thats exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks
Jim
Old Oct 11, '10, 2:03 pm

Hi Marian,
I used to experience deja-vu in my teens. I wonder is it, as has been pointed out by Faustina, a neural configurative?
These days, the closest I get is the same old guff on the radio - dee jay-vu!!
God Bless,
Colmcille.
Old Oct 11, '10, 2:45 pm

I was once told that deja-vu is a very mild form of epilepsy- but something which everyone has at some point. I also heard that when we stare, it is also a very mild form of epilepsy, but yet again, everyone has this.

I hope that made sense. I don't know if this is official.
Old Oct 11, '10, 3:44 pm

Religion: Catholic, Tiber Swim Team Class of 2005

The best explanation of deja vu that I have ever seen is that it is a function of neural cross-talk.

Back in the days when phone conversations were carried on copper wires, sometimes the magnetic impulses carried by one wire would be picked up on a neighboring wire, and the persons on the second phone line would hear the conversation being carried by the first.

The same thing happens when nerves lie close together--a signal carried by one nerve can be picked up by another. There are several places on my own body that if I scratch them, I feel the sensation there and in another part at the same time.

Now suppose that a sensation is being carried along a nerve to the brain. A neighboring nerve picks up the sensation, and now it is being carried in duplicate. One of the signals get there first and is filed away as a memory. Then the second version of the same signal arrives and is also filed as a memory, but the sensation has already been filed, a flag goes up that says, "I've lived thru this before." Because the time foot print that we live in is about 10-12 seconds long, that's also about how long a deja vu situation lasts.

There is nothing supernatural about it at all; it's only a matter of neural cross-talk.

DaveBj
Old Oct 12, '10, 4:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBj View Post
The best explanation of deja vu that I have ever seen is that it is a function of neural cross-talk.

DaveBj
That's a really good explanation. Thank you.
Old Oct 12, '10, 7:23 am

I'll try to keep this short. This happened many years ago.

I had a dream, I usually don't remember my dreams, but I remembered this one because there was a woman walking by in front of me giving me a weird look. She was a little shorter than I, long black hair, a little chubby, with a long loose red sweater.

I wake up that day, went to school, etc. Later on in the evening, out of the blue, I got offered tickets to go see an Ice Skating event and went.

When it was over, I was standing outside waiting for my ride when I realized I had dreamt that street and people etc. Then i thought "The woman with the red sweater!" and as I turned to my right side, she was there. I was in shock, I think I must have been staring with my mouth opened because that's when she gave a weird look like "What's up with her? Why is she staring at me?" as she was passing by. I was speechless for awhile. Just speechless.

I've had other experiences, but I usually try to find some sort of explanation, but sometimes I can't.

I think maybe events in time are set, you know, God already knows what is going to happen, so maybe sometimes our mind wanders a bit and takes a sneak peak.

Although I've had at least one other experience that was like a year into the future and made no sense until it actually happened.
Old Oct 12, '10, 7:26 am

Religion: Catholic Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianD View Post
What are your views on deja vu? Do you think it's a spiritual thing, just someone going crazy for a couple of seconds, or what?

And does the Church have an "official" position on this, or has a Bishop and/or Cardinal spoken about this phenomenon?

I'm asking because I had deja vu a couple of minutes ago. I was doing something I know for a fact I had a dream of doing a couple of months ago. It was kind of freaky.
I do this quite frequently myself. There are many many times that I do something, smell something, hear something and the memory of the dream I had pops back into my mind very vividly at that point.

I have always liked this explanation for it:

If you have Deja Vu, then your life is on the course that God intended all along.
Old Oct 13, '10, 7:55 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Sometimes it can be a neural glitch
A while back I read that temporal lobe epilepsy can cause a person to have the sensation of a "deja vu" experience.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality