Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 12, '10, 3:46 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Lamaze vs. Bradley vs. Hypnobabies vs. ???

Hi everyone,

I want to have a natural childbirth, but I'm unsure about which birthing method is best for achieving one. I know Lamaze and Bradley are the classic birthing methods, but apparently there's a newer one called Hypnobabies, and maybe there are others I haven't even heard of.

Does anyone have experience with any of these? Research? Opinions?
Old Oct 12, '10, 6:25 pm

Default Re: Lamaze vs. Bradley vs. Hypnobabies vs. ???

I can't help with the different birthing methods but I can give you my experience. With my first pregnancyI took a birthing class that used Lamaze. I've had 3 children and all were different when it came to laboring and birthing. The most useful thing, for me, that I took out of the class was the how of birthing - the stages it goes through, what general things go on with each stage. Notice I said nothing about the relaxation methods! The second thing I can say, is to be open to what this particular situation needs. I love that you want a natural birth but don't let it dominate everything. For instance, with my first child, I too wanted that but I developed pre-eclampsia and had to be induced at 39 weeks. Of the three, that was the worst laboring experience and I ended up receiving an epidural. But I would not go back and change my decision. I've always imagined a water birth would feel nice. Best of luck!
Old Oct 12, '10, 6:28 pm
Banned

Religion: classical Anglican

Bradely depends a lot on having your husband want to get really involved as a coach. If he feels like he does not want to do this, it might not be a good fit.

Hypnobabies seems to work really well for some people, as long as you actually do the practice. Some finf the hypnosis scripts cheezy and annoying. I did it and although I wasn't able to practice as much as I hoped, it was helpful. It also has an excellent educational component. Hypnobabies is not the same as hypnobirthing.

But really, if you want a natural birth, I would say get a midwife and have the baby at home. I can't tell you how many times I have wished that is what I did. If that isn't possible, get a midwife in the birth center, and failing that a midwife in a hospital, or a doctor who really supports natural birth along with a doula too.

Don't accept just the doctors word - ask for statistics on how many give birth naturally under his or her care (whatever that means to you) and what the section rate is. Who would care for you if the doctor wasn't available. Also, find these things out at the hospital you will be at. If you go to a hospital with a high rate of epidurals, inductions, and sections, and other interventions, chances are they will make it very difficult for you to avoid these things. Don't take their word - look at the stats.

I know this sounds crazy, but the North American maternity system is crazy, and the biggest predictor of how the medical personnel you have will treat you is how they treat others. I had an OB tell me it was up to me how I had my birth, and I signed a waiver in her office with regard to a specific minor procedure 24 hous later I had her yelling at me that if I didn't get the same procedure I had a 10% chance of death and so they would send me an hour away strapped to a stretcher in an ambulance if I didn't comply. And this stuff happens all the time.
Old Oct 12, '10, 6:52 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

I can't speak to the particular methods you mentioned, but I can share my experiences. With my first two I had epidurals -- that was what I chose, and my experiences were wonderful. With my third I went all natural, and I did it by saying "Jesus, I trust in you" over and over and over. I had been dilating for several weeks (very slowly) so on the day she was born my labor was only about an hour or so (not typical).

Like others have said, make sure you know what you want and don't want, and that you have a strong advocate who can speak up for you during labor. With my third, I happened to hear the nurses saying to each other that my doctor said to put me on pitocin, despite the fact that I had already stated at a previous doctor's appointment that I didn't want pitocin at all. Since I overheard them I told them that I didn't want it so they didn't give it to me. Our daughter was born less than an hour later -- I obviously didn't NEED pitocin, it was just routine to give it without thought. Make sure you speak up for yourself and that your husband will speak up if you're unable to.
Old Oct 13, '10, 5:53 pm

Thanks for the replies!

Quote:
With my first pregnancyI took a birthing class that used Lamaze. I've had 3 children and all were different when it came to laboring and birthing. The most useful thing, for me, that I took out of the class was the how of birthing - the stages it goes through, what general things go on with each stage. Notice I said nothing about the relaxation methods!
I'm glad to hear the classes were informative! The hospital near my house offers Lamaze classes, so I'm particularly interested in that method. Do you feel the relaxation methods helped too, or just the information on labor itself?

Quote:
But really, if you want a natural birth, I would say get a midwife and have the baby at home. I can't tell you how many times I have wished that is what I did. If that isn't possible, get a midwife in the birth center, and failing that a midwife in a hospital, or a doctor who really supports natural birth along with a doula too.
I've seen a lot about home births in The Business of Being Born, but it's not an option for me. I have a medical condition that *might* require a C-section . . . it's only a slight possibility, which is why I'm not *planning* on it, but I do have to be at a hospital in case it's necessary.

Quote:
Hypnobabies seems to work really well for some people, as long as you actually do the practice. Some finf the hypnosis scripts cheezy and annoying. I did it and although I wasn't able to practice as much as I hoped, it was helpful. It also has an excellent educational component. Hypnobabies is not the same as hypnobirthing.
So you can just get tapes instead of attending an actual class? I wonder if they teach birth positions too, or just the hypnosis?

Quote:
I can't speak to the particular methods you mentioned, but I can share my experiences. With my first two I had epidurals -- that was what I chose, and my experiences were wonderful. With my third I went all natural, and I did it by saying "Jesus, I trust in you" over and over and over. I had been dilating for several weeks (very slowly) so on the day she was born my labor was only about an hour or so (not typical).
I'm glad all 3 of your experiences went well! So you didn't use any specific method? I guess trusting in Jesus can really help with a lot.
Old Oct 13, '10, 6:20 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diotima View Post
So you can just get tapes instead of attending an actual class? I wonder if they teach birth positions too, or just the hypnosis?
You can do it just at home, yes. They send you the CDs, and you have a script to listen to each day, usually while you are in bed, plus a birth affirmations cd to listen to, which you can do while you do chores or whatever. (My daughter loved this one, she'd say "mommy, childbirth is completely natural and normal".)

ITHe education componet is extensive - if you do it you won't need anything else. They talk a lot about nutrition, exersize, what happens during labour,medications, interventions, birth positions, and so on. It's one of the best programs I've seen that way, and I've looked at a lot.

However, the method is VERY different from Lamaze or Bradly, because if it works properly, you won't need a lot of the pain coping techniques that those classes are designed to teach you. Essentially, it teaches you how to go into a state of deep relaxation, and it trains you to do this in response to certain cues - almost like classical conditioning. There are a number of different ones to use in different kinds of situations.

But if there is a class with an instructor, I would take it.

Unless you have heard that they are good from someone you trust, I would tend to avoid hospital classes. The instructor is being paid by the hospital, and so has to deliver the message that the hospital, or its insurance company, wants to give.
Old Oct 13, '10, 6:39 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
I'm glad all 3 of your experiences went well! So you didn't use any specific method? I guess trusting in Jesus can really help with a lot.
I used the traditional Lamaze-type breathing method too each time. We took the hospital-offered class but didn't make it to the last two or three classes b/c our daughter was born early. Before having our first I hadn't ever heard of the other methods you've mentioned in this thread (me pre-CAF days) so I just kind of went with the flow and followed my instincts and thankfully things went great.

I have no issue with those methods -- I don't know lots about them -- but I think sometimes people can get overwhelmed with all the options. Don't get me wrong, options are great, and things have come so far.....but you don't have to follow one of the methods you find in a book to have a good labor experience. Educate yourself, listen to your body, do what works for you. I hope what I'm trying to say is making sense. For instance, there are so many parenting books out there, and all of them claim to be the best way to parent. I've read none of them. Instead, my husband and I go with our instincts and our experiences from growing up. I approached labor in basically the same way. Does that make sense? I'm just saying I hope you get all the information you need, but don't stress about what others tell you is the "best" way.

I hope no one misunderstands my post, I'm just saying that what works for some doesn't work for others and that each person has to go with what works for them in those actual moments of labor (which sometimes isn't what you spend researching and planning for prior to labor anyway).

Old Oct 14, '10, 5:47 am

Quote:
I'm glad to hear the classes were informative! The hospital near my house offers Lamaze classes, so I'm particularly interested in that method. Do you feel the relaxation methods helped too, or just the information on labor itself?
While pregnant and in class, the relaxation helped but not really through labor. Knowing what each stage looked like, on average, helped though, especially with baby #2 and 3. I like what Belle10 said. Everyone is different (each baby is different) and to go with your instincts. Like I said, with my first, I wanted to go natural but eventually felt sure I had to get an epidural. I was only dilated 5 and of all my babies, that was the worst pain, aside from a few moments with my second. But what made me get the epidural wasn't just the pain. I wasn't able to breath and I didn't want to hurt the baby or make my condition worse. I wasn't allowed to move around, just stay on my side (because of the high blood pressure). Really, you're not going to know what's going to feel good once you're there. During my second labor, my husband kept putting a cool rag on me. It felt great at first and then he kept doing it and it bugged me. I'm sure I swatted him away. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Old Oct 14, '10, 7:29 am

Religion: Cradle Catholic

I took a Lamaze type class at the hospital when preparing for the birth of our first. It was not very informative or helpful, but I didn't know that until I was giving birth! It basically taught us what different interventions we could expect. I ended up with a cesarean b/c my labor wasn't progressing.
With my 2nd, I wanted a VBAC and got the green light to try for one from my Doc. I was determined to avoid the interventions that occurred during my first pregnancy, terrified that they would just lead to the same results (breaking waters, leading to epidural, leading to pitocin, leading to nothing fast enough), so I found the Bradley method... but I didn't take any classes. I read "Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way" which I got from the library, and it was a wealth of real, practical information on what the woman's body does during labor, how to read signals, and how to relax the muscles to help labor along. I gleaned much from it, and my husband too. I've had 4 VBACs since.
So that's my mini-review of the Bradley method.
I will reiterate what others have stated... the important part is educating yourself. So hey, take the class at the hospital, but DON'T let that be the sum total of your education. Even if you decide to make your own way, I would still read what you can about Bradley, hypnobabies, etc.

Old Oct 14, '10, 10:11 am

Quote:
So you didn't use any specific method? I guess trusting in Jesus can really help with a lot.
I have never taken a birthing class. I don't do any specific method. I read as much as I possibly can on natural birth, every time I'm pregnant. I pray like crazy. I learn from my previous birthing mistakes. My first was a c-section due to malpresentation (she was stuck between breech and transverse, spending most of her time diagonal). My second was a vaginal birth (I was coerced into Pitocin and an epidural, though, after several hours of labor and no food/water, under threat of cesarean ). My third was completely natural and drug-free, the best birth I've ever had (I avoided the hospital as long as I possibly could).

Prayer gets me through. And my husband. Having him hold me was absolutely essential. I couldn't have done it without him.

Old Oct 14, '10, 2:12 pm

I just want to say that all the classes are great (we didn't actually do any, just read up and we prayed), but don't get caught up in "this is how it has to be". Because when you get in there, things might change. And don't be disappointed in yourself.

I wanted a natural labor and birth, I did not want drugs or anything else to induce. I was a week late and had already declined induction. However, I was progressing slowly so the doc ordered pitocin to help augment, which I thought would be OK. It wasn't! It was awful and that made contractions horrible and I couldn't handle them anymore, and in my 21st hour of labor I think I got an epidural. So wonderful. But it wore off, because I wasn't progressing and then I ended up with a c-section. It really, really made me sad. I cried and fought getting the epi and then cried and fought the c-section, but it was what was best for the baby and me.

In the end, what's important is "healthy baby, and healthy mom".

Loving life, being a new stay-at-home wife and mom!
Check out our blog! http://spanocomputers.com/kumquat/
Old Oct 14, '10, 5:41 pm
Banned

I'd really recommend Ina May's Guide to Childbirth if you are looking for something to read. Also, I would pay special attention to avoiding cesarean section. At the moment, in the US it can be almost impossible to get a VBAC - most doctors and hospitals will simply not allow them. That means repeat sections, or stay at home alone. In many cases, even moms with previous VBACs are being refused, because the insurance companies will not cover the hospitals or doctors who allow them. For Catholic moms, or anyone who might want more than two or three kids, that is a serious issue.
Old Oct 15, '10, 5:20 am

Religion: Catholic-Latin Rite
Send a message via AIM to queen_anne78

We did Bradley, which I loved, but I agree that the NUMBER ONE WAY to have a natural birth is to either do it at home, or if that is not an option (due to personal preference or circumstance) then it is IMPERATIVE that you choose a hospital and care provider who is supportive of natural birth. The standard, routine procedures in place at the majority of U.S hospitals work against normal birth....even something as simple as not allowing the laboring woman to eat or drink.

http://www.motherfriendly.org/pdf/Ha...by-English.pdf

these are a good start.

Having a doula, or a husband who is willing to advocate for you is also very important...this is where having taken a class or read a lot will help

Loving our little girl, Gianna Marie, born May 3 2007

Chillin' with my little man, Dominic Vianney, Jan. 10, 2010
Old Oct 15, '10, 11:10 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by queen_anne78 View Post
We did Bradley, which I loved, but I agree that the NUMBER ONE WAY to have a natural birth is to either do it at home, or if that is not an option (due to personal preference or circumstance) then it is IMPERATIVE that you choose a hospital and care provider who is supportive of natural birth. The standard, routine procedures in place at the majority of U.S hospitals work against normal birth....even something as simple as not allowing the laboring woman to eat or drink.

http://www.motherfriendly.org/pdf/Ha...by-English.pdf

these are a good start.

Having a doula, or a husband who is willing to advocate for you is also very important...this is where having taken a class or read a lot will help
Or just chatting with people: a remedy I heard for the food issue is pack it yourself, have your husband smuggle it into the toilet, and take frequent pee breaks. It keeps you off the monitors too.
Old Oct 15, '10, 12:51 pm

Religion: Cradle Catholic

Well, FWIW, I have to give birth in a hospital setting due to my VBAC status. And I have to say that, although they don't hand the natural birth to me on a plate, the staff at my baby center is very good about asking we what I want, and listening respectfully when I tell them. They give me food when I ask for it, although they all do say that it might not be a good idea! (I always throw up right as my labor starts getting intense... my bodies reaction to hormones, etc. Normal.) They can't let me off the external monitors, and they must start an IV, but those are procedures mandated by my VBAC status, and I'm more than willing to compromise on those. My doc is a good friend, pro-life, Catholic, and definitely all about intervention (hence my first c-section ) but also very willing to work with a healthy woman to give her a natural birth, VBAC, breech, you name it. They help me push when *I'm* ready, and they let me push how *I* want. They don't use forceps, epidurals, episiotomies, etc. b/c that is what I want, and it's reasonable for me.
So, hospital birthing the natural way can be ok!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting