Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 26, '10, 10:16 am
Banned

Unhappy Bones of 4 Newborns Found in Closet, Mom Charged

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/26...ns-kept-bones/

Quote:
READING, Pa. -- A woman who secretly conceived several children through an extramarital affair killed at least four of her newborns, then kept their remains in coolers or encased in concrete in her closet until family members found them this year, authorities said Monday.

Michele Kalina, 44, of Reading, hid at least six pregnancies from her husband and longtime boyfriend, according to officials in Berks County, where a homicide charge was filed against the home-health aide.

DNA tests show the bones found in a locked closet came from five babies, at least four of whom were born alive, authorities said. The boyfriend fathered three and possibly four of the victims. Tests on the fifth baby were inconclusive.
How could someone do this....those poor babies.
Old Oct 26, '10, 10:22 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Default Re: Bones of 4 Newborns Found in Closet, Mom Charged

I think something similar happened in France recently.

The woman was sentenced for killing 4-5 newborns and keeping them in her cupboard, but the Judge took into account her psychological state. When questioned, the woman stated that she did no considor the babies as individual human beings but as extensions of herself. She also hid the pregnancy, did not seek any medical help during those pregnancies, gave birth on her own, and never considored herself as pregnant and continued on as if everything was normal. She was married and her husband was cleared of any involvement.

Praying for those poor souls.
Old Oct 26, '10, 10:34 am

It all started with a lie...
Look at what us humans are doing to one another. May God have mercy on us all.
Old Oct 26, '10, 11:13 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonAndLime View Post
When questioned, the woman stated that she did no considor the babies as individual human beings but as extensions of herself.
Ah, very clever. So she can do what she wants with her body.
Old Oct 26, '10, 11:20 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollos View Post
Ah, very clever. So she can do what she wants with her body.
Don't try and bring a pro-life agenda into this, its disrespectful.

Just for you to know - in the case I was talking about, she wasn't the kind of woman who thought she had a right to do what she wanted with her body. She had a mental illness and actually did not considor them babies, human, existing. That is remarkedly different from a typical person having an abortion. Why? Because a woman having an abortion knows she is pregnant, knows that if she carries on with it she will have a baby, and knows that she is ending potential. The woman in this case had no concept of pregnancy or of having children - although strangely, she had 2 older daughters who were born way before the ones she killed. I think there was some suggestion that the woman suffered a traumatic event inbetween the birth of her older kids who she kept, and the babies that she birthed then killed.
Old Oct 26, '10, 11:57 am
Banned

Religion: Cradle Catholic - Revert

"... its disrespectful."

To whom?
Old Oct 26, '10, 12:36 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic (sympathizing with SSPX, ICKSP, & FSSP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarrick8383 View Post
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/26...ns-kept-bones/

How could someone do this....those poor babies.
im surprised that they care if she had abortions people would most probably laud her for exercising her sexual freedom and fulfillment
meanwhile i will pray for the poor little babies
Old Oct 26, '10, 12:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonAndLime View Post
She had a mental illness and actually did not considor them babies, human, existing. That is remarkedly different from a typical person having an abortion.
I beg to differ - "It's not really a baby, just a blob of cells", "it's not even human yet", "it can't feel pain so it's not really alive" - these are all arguments we hear from the "pro-choice" side all the time to debase the value of life. Aborting a prenatal human being versus killing a newborn infant is a matter of semantics. The only thing different is location - inside the womb versus outside the womb. A human being is a human being is a human being.
Old Oct 26, '10, 12:37 pm
Banned
Radio Club Member

Religion: Catholic. Loyal to the Holy See.

She should not be arrested these are nothing but late term abortions.

If you can have legalized baby killing mills in this country she has broken no law if she is to be charged with murder then all abortion doctors and mothers that have abortions should also be charged with murder.
Old Oct 26, '10, 12:41 pm
Forum Elder

Four decades of pro-abortion propaganda and misinformation have made such incidents more likely.
Old Oct 26, '10, 12:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbkw View Post
"... its disrespectful."

To whom?
Exactly.
Being pro-life is about protecting and preserving the dignity of every human life from natural conception to natural death. Catholics have an absolute obligation to support the "pro-life agenda."

However, I understand from your post LemonandLime, that the woman from France may have suffered from some sort of illness that possibly reduces her culpability in taking the lives of her children. Perhaps Apollos' comment reflects a misunderstanding on his part.

There are people out there without a recognizable mental illness, although they may be few right now, who do purport that it should be okay to take the lives of children as long as the children haven't reached a particular age or whatever. This kind of thing has happened before in the history of man. Lines have already been crossed greatly with abortion. If we aren't careful, sin can easily find a way to compound itself, as is evidenced in this terrible story.

May our Mother Mary hold these poor children in her arms and may the Mercy and Love of God shine upon people such as Michele Kalina, and the whole world, so that they may repent before Jesus comes again to judge us all. Amen
Old Oct 26, '10, 12:46 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic (sympathizing with SSPX, ICKSP, & FSSP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanmaxkolbe View Post
She should not be arrested these are nothing but late term abortions.

If you can have legalized baby killing mills in this country she has broken no law if she is to be charged with murder then all abortion doctors and mothers that have abortions should also be charged with murder.
i like this option
Old Oct 26, '10, 1:05 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljason View Post
I beg to differ - "It's not really a baby, just a blob of cells", "it's not even human yet", "it can't feel pain so it's not really alive" - these are all arguments we hear from the "pro-choice" side all the time to debase the value of life. Aborting a prenatal human being versus killing a newborn infant is a matter of semantics. The only thing different is location - inside the womb versus outside the womb. A human being is a human being is a human being.
Oh for goodness sake.

This woman was mentally ill as proven by medical experts.

She's not a pro-choice woman shouting from the rooftops that she had a right to abort the baby. Why can't you people understand the following concept is beyond me - she was in denial about being pregnant, denial about her having a baby, and had no concept of the baby being her child - therefore was mentally ill and was not in a fit state of mind

That is incredibly differnet from a woman who has an abortion a few weeks in because she thinks she has the right to do so. One has mental capacity, the other does not.

It does not excuse what she has done but for goodness sake stop suggesting that she's a typical woman thinking she has the right to abort. She did not even recognise the fact that was pregnant even when asked about her bump.

And it is disrespecful to the souls of the dead children to use this thread intended to mourn and discuss this terrible story by infecting it with a pro-life agenda. This was not abortion. It was a mentally disturbed woman who could not cope.

Perhaps some people on this thread should stop being so militant about pro-life and actually stop jumping down people's throats and think before they speak. This woman did not have an abortion. She was not a woman who did this for pro-choice reasons, unless you can prove that stop suggesting that she did. If you want to discuss pro-life issues go to another thread.
Old Oct 26, '10, 1:23 pm

LemonAndLime, I'm going to try to be as charitable as I possibly can. Forgive me if I fail on that.

That woman you are talking about, from France, is a completely separate issue. She might very well have been diagnosed as mentally ill - I'm going to take your word for it.

That being said, can you please provide me with a psychoanalysis of Michelle Kalina, the woman involved in THIS case from the original post? You seem fairly certain she's mentally ill, but what proof to do you have of that? The original article makes no allusions to that. She's had at least two children that she didn't kill, so she certainly knows & understands - or at least at one time did - what pregnancy is all about.

Quote:
She's not a pro-choice woman shouting from the rooftops that she had a right to abort the baby. Why can't you people understand the following concept is beyond me - she was in denial about being pregnant, denial about her having a baby, and had no concept of the baby being her child - therefore was mentally ill and was not in a fit state of mind
This is just speculation on your part, based on a similar case, which you said you think you remember hearing something about.

I'm very sorry that you feel that I have an agenda. If you truly feel that way, I ask that you please pray for me, and I will extend the same courtesy to you.

Thank you.
Old Oct 26, '10, 1:30 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljason View Post
LemonAndLime, I'm going to try to be as charitable as I possibly can. Forgive me if I fail on that.

That woman you are talking about, from France, is a completely separate issue. She might very well have been diagnosed as mentally ill - I'm going to take your word for it.

That being said, can you please provide me with a psychoanalysis of Michelle Kalina, the woman involved in THIS case from the original post? You seem fairly certain she's mentally ill, but what proof to do you have of that? The original article makes no allusions to that. She's had at least two children that she didn't kill, so she certainly knows & understands - or at least at one time did - what pregnancy is all about.

This is just speculation on your part, based on a similar case, which you said you think you remember hearing something about.

I'm very sorry that you feel that I have an agenda. If you truly feel that way, I ask that you please pray for me, and I will extend the same courtesy to you.

Thank you.
Thank you for being calm in your reply. I have been talking about the case in France for the entire duration of me posting on this thread, and has people have been responding to my posts I have continued to talk about the woman in France. By the way, its the woman in France who I know has two older children - not sure about the other woman. In the in-depth article I read about the case of this woman in France, there was no mention of any pro-life views etc. It happened many years ago, and I think she lived on a farm or was isolated to some extent. If there was a pro-choice element it was not mentioned in the article therefore until proven otherwise, there is none.

I apologise if I have offended over the accusation of having an agenda, I just felt that it was very insensitive for people to first respond to this by talking about the apparent "pro-choice" element to it. I will pray for you if you wish, but I think that pro-life campaigning is a very worthwhile cause. Just that there is a time and a place.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News