Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Oct 26, '10, 10:16 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Question Is Anne a Lay apostle a fraud?

Does anyone have an opinion?
I received Volume Two as a gift from our Perpetual Adoration chapel but I saw this on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwl4rQ-DkQc
I have my doubts and worry that many good and faithful people may eventually be led astray.
Old Oct 26, '10, 12:28 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is Anne a Lay apostle a fraud?

I don't know about her being a fraud but her locutions are in the category of unapproved private revelation. She seems to have the support of her Bishop to publish her letters but the volumes are not printed under a nihil obstat or imprimatur.

Personally, I stay away from private revelation until it is Church-approved. But that' just me.
“Above all, the common outcry, which is justly made on behalf of human rights -- for example, the right to health, to home, to work, to family, to culture -- is false and illusory if the right to life, the most basic and fundamental right and the condition for all other personal rights, is not defended with maximum determination.” Saint John Paul II

"It is not “progressive” to try to resolve problems by eliminating a human life." Pope Francis
Old Oct 26, '10, 12:29 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaOLS View Post
In my opinion, a fraud.
Old Oct 26, '10, 12:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollos View Post
In my opinion, a fraud.
I agree.

http://www.unitypublishing.com/Appar...a'name.htm

"I am a daughter of the Church." St. Teresa of Jesus

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

Magister adest et vocat te.
Old Oct 26, '10, 1:11 pm

Send a message via Yahoo to dconklin

I read some of her writings. It was good reading, but I do not stake my faith in it.

When someone asks you to think about 'what Jesus would do', remember he thought it was fitting to get fired up and turn tables over.
Old Oct 26, '10, 1:38 pm
Prayer Warrior

I have never read any of her writings, but I feel that private revelation is something to be suspicious of until it is proven by Church authorities. Since they are private revelations and have not been investigated, we are not obligated to agree with them. In fact, I think that such revelations should be disregarded. I have the same feeling about Medjugorge. A Carmelite Sister once told me that Anne is being scrutinized for very good reason. She told me to be cautious and to stick to approved revelations and apparitions only.

http://belatedvocations.weebly.com
Old Oct 26, '10, 2:23 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Irish Catholic

Perhaps less problematic than most other supposed apparitions and writings.That seems to be the general concensus.

I always ask someone that I know who has something like this why thy
havent read St Therese of Lisieux , or St Theresa Avilla, St John of the Cross, St Francis De Sales, St Thomas Acquinas....etc,etc.
All written by people with a close relationship to Christ that will help to move you deeper into your faith and understanding of Christ.

Why bother with some questionable book, written by a questionable author with questionable appartions of recent note that have no history within the church. Certainly, if you have read all or most of the above authors or other notables, then you'd be strong and discernable enough to read almost anything you'd like to include Ann the Lay Apostle.
However, most who have these questionable apparition related books are not well read within Catholicism and therefore not knowledgeable enough within the faith to realize a falsity or untrue statements concerning our faith and shouldnt be reading these kind of books to be moving deeper within the faith.

I suggest tossing it in the trashcan. Actually I have tossed two different vols. of this for just such reasons that a friend had. You shouldnt draw from recent and questionable writings when we have 2,000 years of approved writings by church approved Saints and Holy authors.
Old Oct 26, '10, 6:46 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
I received Volume Two as a gift from our Perpetual Adoration chapel but I saw this on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwl4rQ-DkQc
I have my doubts and worry that many good and faithful people may eventually be led astray.
Some years back I was given the 10 volumes as a gift.
I read them and I definitely consider her to be a fraud.
Old Oct 27, '10, 5:03 am

Thank you all so much for responding! That was my gut instinct on first picking up the book. I actually left my free copy there in the chapel. You see it was being given out as gift celebrating our 20th year of our Perpetual Adoration Chapel - I have been an adorer every week for twenty years - Thanks to God. It was my dad who secured my copy "incase I had missed it" and he was interested because of Dr. Mark Miraville's support and the reputation of Franciscan University of Steubenville, which of course cranks out some pretty awesome well-educated and faithful Catholics! Also the three women who founded our chapel, all named Mary (we call them the three Mary's) are three of the most sainly women I know. They also founded Mom's House in our area, Birthright, and the Right to Life Committee, and they ran a Marian Literature Center for years.

I am anxious now to reach them and explain the danger in this hoax. I did read about half of Volume 2, which seemed moving and fairly rich in meditations. But that's what scares me most. Satan is the expert deciever. He would have to load the books the books up with orthodox material, strong meditations and good sentiments - that would be the only way of trapping the elect, especially those who go to daily Mass, read the bible and attend Eucharistic Holy Hours. With 90-99% of the material good, he can not only assure the imprimatur etc. but gain the loyalty of the faithful Catholics reading the books. Then boom like Harry Potter gone mad - he can introduce ever so subtly the lies to lure the faithful away. This is my fear - I don't feel in the least worried about myself but for others who will accept it as good because of Miraville and in our local case the three unsuspecting Mary's.

Thank yo all again for responding - I hope each person reading will do what they can to spread the word of the danger that lies in Anne the Lay apostle( Kathryn Clarke) and her books.
Old Oct 27, '10, 6:08 am
Banned

Quote:
I am anxious now to reach them and explain the danger in this hoax.... Satan is the expert deciever....
Just a few words of advice:
  • It is the bishops' job, not yours, to explain the danger of hoaxes like this. Sure you can help, but the job is really theirs.
  • Not all frauds are necessarily Satanic. Don't jump to the opposite extreme, or you will find yourself seeing demons behind every corner. Some frauds are purely human in origin, and to attribute the fraud to Satan is to say far too much.
Doesn't it seem believable to you that, for example, some lonely person goes on a pilgrimage to some apparition site, and then after coming back home starts pretending he too is having visions? And none of this requires the devil.

I knew a kid once, must have been about 15-16yo at the time, whose family received a gift of a crystal sculpture of a horse's head from a friend. It didn't take long before the boy started claiming the horse's head was "speaking" to him. He got a certain amount of mileage out of this; this was the early 1980s and it was fashionable to receive messages from spirits from beyond this world; "channelers" were all over the daytime talk shows; Shirley Maclaine was a household name, etc. etc.

I knew it was a hoax from the start, for two reasons. First, the personality of the kid - he was the usual mama's boy whose daddy never hugged him, and so he was a prime candidate for this kind of attention-seeking behavior, you know, the chosen one, the humble servant of a great mystery, and everyone comes to seek him for spiritual guidance, that sort of thing. It's the fantasy of many people who just don't "fit in" in whatever way.

Second, the horse's head started foretelling the future, and guess what, the confirmations only came after the fact, surprise surprise. I don't remember the first prophecy, but I do remember that (a) it was about something that was all over the news when it happened and was therefore the sort of thing that would seem important to people whose lives are dominated by what they see on the boob tube (b) the kid said the horse's head had told him about this beforehand - but, of course, he didn't realize the significance of it at first because the prediction was worded in symbolic language.

It was only decades later that I learned from trustworthy spiritual authors that (a) God doesn't choose people with agendas or personality disorders to be his channelers and (b) God doesn't impress people with prophecies that juuust so happen to be of popular interest in the seer's circle.

So now, for example, if some nutty woman comes back from a pilgrimage to a water stain on a concrete wall in Hackensack and then starts claiming the Blessed Virgin appeared to her and is angry about altar girls, I immediately know it's a fraud just from the circumstantial evidence.

But it's not necessarily of the devil.
Old Oct 27, '10, 7:01 am
Banned

Religion: CAPITAL CEE CATHOLIC

For what it`s worth: Rick Salbato at Unity Piblishing has a lot to say about Anne; and none of it is good.
http://www.unitypublishing.com/Appar...a'name.htm

There must be some truth in what Rick says......otherwise you`d think he would`ve been sued for libel.

Also:
http://d-rium.blogspot.com/2010/09/a...-synopsis.html

Etc.
Old Oct 27, '10, 7:27 am
Banned

Religion: CAPITAL CEE CATHOLIC

PS

http://www.catholicculture.org/cultu...TOKEN=85983732
Old Oct 27, '10, 12:54 pm

On the flip side!

http://directionforourtimes.com/churchposition.html

Old Oct 27, '10, 1:37 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Irish Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSapphire View Post
Actually I dont think the Church has caught up with a recent phenomena of claimed spiritual apparations and associated writings arising from people who are more or less professionally motived in their writings and aspirations. For just such people a usual ruling of 'nothing contrary to the faith' is not really sufficient to some of the motivations behind these people. Distribution of tr writing through sale and profit only(no free internet distribution) and paid speaking tours.

Anne the Lay Apostle
For instance, upon looking at Anne the Lay Apostle she seems to come from a writing background....has either written a novel before or has been a professional within the field. Consequently, if one is not being directed by either devils or angels , then the possibility occurs that a writer has done their research , read other spiritual classics and has composed a portfolio of work in the spiritual realm for which great claims are made...from Jesus..and up for sale on the internet.

Our Lady of Emmitsburg-- Gianna Sullivan-Tallone

I tried searching for Our Lady of Emmitsburg on this forum, no one has ever posted anything about her. My searches return nothing. She Gianna Sullivan-Talone who also comes from a literary background and was producing these works before the days of the internet. Eventually friends and associates picked up on her weekly readings and noted whole paragraphs and segments lifted from those titles as messages from her/Jesus in the prayer group and making it to published works.

A city/region oriented site reporting on regional matters.
http://www.emmitsburg.net/cult_watch..._for_jesus.htm
http://www.emmitsburg.net/cult_watch/

Both Gianna Talone Sullivan-- Our Lady of Emmitsburg and Anne the Lay Apostle SELL their books and dont make the works freely available through their websites. In addition, each has or does enjoy a paid speaking tour.
Old Oct 27, '10, 8:33 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian! Catholic! Disciple of Jesus of Nazareth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSapphire View Post
I do not know much about her (only ran across her writings a few times...so I am not an advocate ..I do not really know and have not looked much into them)...but if such is the statement of her Bishop ...and if it continues to be...well.....that is something in her favor and I think one needs to be careful in what one says in any case (CCC 2477 and 2478)

...In the end it the Bishop's judgment what he approves if he ends up doing so..

...of we are not bound to private revelations...

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality