Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Ask an Apologist

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 26, '10, 3:55 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: catholic
Default Where is God?

I feel like my life has no purpose, I have tried to pray and go to church to figure it out. Maybe I'm to blinded but I see no answer. I have all this anger and sadness inside me and lately all I can do is cry. This overwhelming feeling of worthlessness comes over me and I can't function. My life was very hard growing up I had a father who broke me down so bad, and made me feel like I was never good enough. He was abusive to my mother and she was too scared to stand up to him. When I was 16 he kicked me out of my house. My dad told my brothers to throw all my things out. Ten years later it still kills me to remember that day, all my clothes and belongings were thrown outside like trash. The reason I was kicked out was because, I told him I was not afraid of him and I wouldn't let him treat all of us the way he did. I would always defend my mom and cry for him not to hit her. I was about 10 years old the first time I stood up to him and begged him not to hit my mom I hugged him as hard as I could and I didn't let go. He made a promise to change but he didn't. I still remember being 9 years old and telling my brothers and sisters to go hide out in the room until the arguing was over. I would stay out at the hall way to make sure my mom was ok, he would threaten to kill her and he would use guns and knives to intimidate her. All that is over and things are better between them, it's not perfect but he doesn't have that violent hold on my mom anymore. We are all grown up and only one brother and sister live at home. My two brothers and older sister have tried to move on and get our lives together but no matter how much time goes by we still have that feeling of not being good enough. It's been really hard I am always doubting myself I feel so worthless at times. I feel like I don't deserve anything good in life. I don't understand why God put me in this situation, I feel like I was not strong enough to handle it the right way I couldn't live my life and do what I needed to do. I didn't graduate from high school I just got my GED, I have a job that I dislike so much. I struggle to get up and go in to work some days but I try really hard to stay positive. I'm going to college part time but it's a struggle. I grew up with the idea that I was not meant to go to college, and it's so hard to change that thought. I feel like a failure and I don't understand why God gave me this kind of life, I don't want to pray anymore I don't want to believe in God anymore because I feel like imp let down all the time. I used to pray to God so much when I was young and ask for things to be different and hope we didn't have to suffer anymore, it didn't stop and nothing changed. I feel like everything I went through just tore me apart. I feel even worse when I see all these people I went to school with and their already graduated with their good career. And here I am stuck with all this pain and hurt I feel like God didn't listen to my prayers. I forgive my parents but it's so hard to forget. I guess I'm seeking some sign so I don't feel hopeless, but in all honesty I don't know that it will change how I feel. I am exausted and feel defeated from dealing with all these emotions I dont know what to do anymore.
Old Nov 1, '10, 9:39 pm
Catholic Answers Apologist

Default Re: Where is God?

Dear friend,
Sorry that it has taken so long for me to answer your question. I had to wait until I could try to give you the time you deserve. Your account of hugging your father until he promised to reform his ways is quite touching. Even though he didn’t reform at the time, your love for him did get through to him. The strength you had came from the Lord. And he still has his hand on you.

There is no doubt that you and your siblings suffer emotional scars from those days. But that is what they are. Because you feel defective, does not mean that you are defective. You could certainly benefit from psychological therapy.
But first let me assure you as a priest who has dealt with many people who have suffered serious rejection from the very people who should have affirmed them, you are basically good because God created you that way. He considered you worth suffering and dying for. I will leave you with an account of the rejection he suffered and has shared with you. Feel free to write me here privately by clicking on my name under my picture. I will offer Mass for you tomorrow, Tuesday.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

Reflection on the Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ +

The agony in the garden was really the agony in His mind. He suffered the passion in His mind before He suffered it in His body—to the point of actually affecting the latter by sweating blood. But from then on, it was His bodily suffering that affected His mental suffering.

At the base of all His suffering was the one thing that human beings dread the most: rejection. He was betrayed by Judas, denied by Peter and abandoned by all the rest of His Apostles; those He had hand picked as His closest intimates. He was most rejected by those who put Him to death. They not only wanted Him dead, they wanted Him to suffer. They not only considered Him to be worth nothing, they considered Him to be worth minus nothing! This significance was not lost on Him. He felt fully the rejection as each physical agony reminded Him.

So we thank Him for joining us on our human journey and actually choosing to experience what we fear the most.

We thank Him for enduring the arrest and the cruelty of the guards and the Sanhedrin. We thank Him for enduring the cruelty of Pilot who allowed Him to be executed rather than risk his own political ruin—and for the cruelty of Herod who wanted to be entertained by having Him work a miracle. We thank Him for all the time He spent satisfying their preoccupation with themselves, just delaying His ultimate death. We thank Him for the anxiety of that night in a cell.

The next morning He was brutally scourged with such intensity and violence that He became as an aged man in a matter of minutes. His multiple wounds bloodied His entire body. The loss of so much blood not only severely weakened Him; it also caused a severe, throbbing headache that remained with Him for the duration.

We thank Him for this and for the mockery He received when they put a purple cloth on His shoulders and pushed a crown of thorns down into His head which intensified His headache. They blindfolded Him and slapped Him, insisting that He ‘prophesy’ who had hit Him. They spat on Him and beat Him.

He stood at the praetorium in utter disgrace according to the attitude of the crowd—while in reality, He stood in utter glory: almighty God, being present to every person who has ever suffered rejection, joining them in their
moment of pain. It was there that He was sentenced to death by crucifixion. As a further humiliation, He was forced to carry His instrument of execution. He revealed to St. Bernard that carrying the cross was His most painful agony. He was so weak, He could hardly walk. So the weight of the cross on His shoulder was unbearable. It most likely dislocated His shoulder. It is not surprising that He fell down on the stone streets that were filthy with animal dung—with the cross on top of Him. And He got up each time.

It was only with the help of Simon of Cyrene that He made it to the top of Calvary. There they drove the nails into the carpal tunnels of His hands, causing pain throughout His upper body. The nail in His feet registered great pain through all the sensitive nerves there. When the cross was righted, His up-stretched arms squeezed His lungs and He began to pant for lack of oxygen. So He had to push down on His crucified feet to push His body up in order to fill His lungs with air. This took great effort because He was so weak. Yet He managed to maintain such effort for three hours of agony which increased gradually as He became weaker moment by moment.

By the end of the third hour, His agony was at its peak and His self-gift was exquisite. He had come to the point where His strength simply gave out and He suffocated. In this eternal moment as He died, He gave us His life. Transcending time, this moment of divine love is present to us in the tabernacles of the world.

Thank you, Lord. We adore you O Christ and we praise you. By your holy cross, you have redeemed the world!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Ask an Apologist