Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Benedict XVI: 2005

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 19, '05, 11:54 am

Default Re: Name Benedict fulfillment of Malachy prophesy?

Taking the name Benedict however, does NOT mean he is a Benedictine. Ratzinger will have to be a member of that order, which I think someone on here has already confirmed that he is not. Just the name does not confer any meaning itself. Benedict may well be a recognition of the Father of Western monasticism, and a saint whose very doctrine called for balance and mediation between work, study, and prayer. I think this bit of information is what goes completely over the talking heads.
Old Apr 19, '05, 11:55 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnworthySoul
Keep in mind that Christ Himself tells us that no one except the Father knows the day and hour when the end will come.
Well put! That's what I keep saying, and that's why I never believe predictions of when the world will end.
Old Apr 19, '05, 11:56 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnworthySoul
[font=Verdana]
But you know what? Aside from all that, the last thing we need to do as Catholics is focus on a prophecy that may or may not be true. Christ is to be our focus, and if, in the end the prophecy is true indeed, then by focusing on CHrist we should hopefully be ready to meet our Judge.

God Bless Pope Benedict XVI!
I suppose that this edict should also apply to such things as the Shroud of Turin and the Apparitions/Secrets of Fatima?

I just heard Bill O'Reilly dis some Catholic callers because they dared to say that the Church teaches that using artificial birth control and homosexual acts are sins, and that Catholics who do these should not receive comminion.

Thank God we now have a Pope that won't long put up with such nonsense, relativist spin and confusion. I sure hope Mr. O'Reilly goes to confession regarding the "tool" incident before he takes communion.
Old Apr 19, '05, 12:04 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic in the Byzantine RIte of the Ruthenian tradition

All of this seems like a bad dream....

Ever since I was about 13, I felt deep down that I would be living in the 'end of days'. Yes, our faith teaches us about the 'end of days is our death. I belive both will happen at the same time for me.

Whether these prophcies are authenic or fake, the MOST important things we should do and have to do is Live Out the Message and Gospel of Jesus and His Church.

I am in fear within me at this time. That tells me that I have issues to still work out. I have no peace...My soul is deeply troubled.

Conversion due to fear is still conversion but hoping to have conversion of that only Jesus can give.

John Paul, the Great...'be not afraid.' I pray for courage. Was JPII prophetic in knowing that we needed to hear those words from him?
Old Apr 19, '05, 12:09 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicHoser
I also read the article. The writer claims to know the exact year that Christ comes again (2437 A.D.) . I believe that only God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) know when the day and hour is.

I also believe it best that we always live as if Christ could come again at any moment, so we are prepared for it always. He Himself teaches us that, does He not?
Who IS the author? WWIII around 2010????
Old Apr 19, '05, 12:12 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic under Benedict XVI
Send a message via Yahoo to Lovez4God

Ok, let's assume everything is true. Let's assume everything is according to plan. What if it is at hand? What if we don't have much time left? Humanity is on the breaking point of history; it can't get anymore authentic than this times that we are living. Everything is going so fast! To think soon everything will come to pass. Nothing can help us now. Only what's in your soul that counts.

What would you do if you knew the end was soon??
pray 24/7?
go to church 24/7?
give everything away?
Old Apr 19, '05, 12:18 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaGeek
The Benedictines are known as Olivetans, are they not?
1) He's not a Benedictine

2) The monks themselves are not known as Olivetans
Old Apr 19, '05, 12:31 pm

Religion: (Roman) Catholic

The "Olivetans" is an Order of priests/monks of a branch of the Benedictine family of religious/monastic Orders.

However, it should be distinguished from the "Olivetians," aka members of the "Church of the Nazarene," a protestant sect(?).

Amado
Old Apr 19, '05, 12:33 pm

Anyone who claims to know the exact day when Christ will return should be ignored, since Our Lord told us that "only the Father" knows this. I would avoid the website referred to above.

However, if anyone is interested in the list of popes foretold by St. Malachy, there is a book called "The Prophecies of St. Malachy" available for sale at tanbooks.com which was first printed in 1969. I have had a copy for years and found it fascinating. However, NO DATE is given for the return of Our Redeemer! I just checked Tan's website and the book is still available. (Although it may also be available elsewhere - this is in no way a sales pitch for this publisher - just a referral for those interested.)

Personally, I believe in the prophecies...but not in any "addendum" posted on any website.
Old Apr 19, '05, 12:44 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredgemate
I agree, he is so positive of what the new pope's name will be but can only guess what the second pope's name will be. Plus he discredits his predictions as being fallible. Is there anyway to tell when this web site was posted? I mean to say could it be something written and posted with just the name Benedict XVI added in.
I don't know if the name Benedict was added or not. But the idea that the pope will promote the building of a Temple and a Mosque in Jerusalem is just wild speculation. Also they speculate a small war in 2009 and a big war in 210. Where does all this come from? The whole article is off the wall statements.
Old Apr 19, '05, 12:57 pm

Does anyone know anything about this website? Here is part of what they have to say about the prophcies...

Quote:
The prevailing view today is that they are elaborate forgeries, probably perpretrated by a school of Jesuits in the 1600s. This is based on the clear relation of the mottos to the various popes until that period, and the need to find oblique references (such as the motto of the Pope's home diocese) to make the particular motto fit the particular pope. The inclusion of anti-popes would also appear to militate against the authenticity of the prophecies.
See http://www.catholic-pages.com/grabbag/malachy.asp for the whole article. I'm not sure how they substantiate what the "prevailing view today" is.
Old Apr 19, '05, 12:57 pm

What I would like to know is: Was Cardinal Ratzinger mindful of St. Malachy's prophecy when he chose the name "Benedict"? I will be scanning the net to try to answer this question (and appreciate your sharing the answer if any of you find it). However...

Whether or not the good Cardinal chose this name with the prophecy in mind (even if at the back of it), the choice DOES fulfill the prophecy of the Irish saint! May our new pope live and reign many years. But when, as is inevitable, his reign does also end, the whole world will hold its breath (or at least those knowing of the prophecies) to see if Benedict's successor will choose the papal title of "Peter II". For if THIS ALSO comes to be...I think we can be pretty certain that the end is very, very, near!
Old Apr 19, '05, 1:08 pm

As the St Malachy prophesies have not been approved by the Church, I don't even think about them.

I think they've been proven to be a hoax anyway. Haven't they?

Michelle
Old Apr 19, '05, 1:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimontice
I think they've been proven to be a hoax anyway. Haven't they?
That's what I was wondering about the quote I posted above...is it just their opinion, or generally accepted as fact that the prophecies were a 16th century joke?
Old Apr 19, '05, 1:24 pm

How can this be a hoax? How could anyone know that Pope John Paul II would be born and his funeral on a day of an eclipse. That cannot be coincidence. I beleive in the prophecy. I am sure they know things inside the Vatican that we don't know and would probably blow some of our minds if we knew. I think they know of this Prophecy and they obviously believe it to be true if Cardinal Ratzinger took the name Benedict. The whole Pope John Paul II birth and funeral on an eclipse seals it for me. It must be true. We will obviously see if they believe it inside the Vatican if the next Pope chooses Peter II. Then we will know for sure. However, i do not beleive in that website that says aboiut WWIII and they dates of things and the dates of the coming of Christ.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Benedict XVI: 2005