Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Benedict XVI: 2005

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 19, '05, 3:21 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Vatican III?

Does anyone here think Pope Benedict XVI will call Vatican III? If so, what would you like to see addressed?
Old Apr 19, '05, 3:22 pm
Forum Elder

Default Re: Vatican III?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt19:26
Does anyone here think Pope Benedict XVI will call Vatican III?
I seriously doubt it. He would probably say that Vatican II hasn't been fully implemented yet.
Old Apr 20, '05, 8:44 am
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

That's exactly what he said in his morning speech --

"I too, as I start in the service that is proper to the Successor of Peter, wish to affirm with force my decided will to pursue the commitment to enact Vatican Council II, in the wake of my predecessors and in faithful continuity with the millennia-old tradition of the Church
I'm saved (Eph 2:58), being saved (1Cor 1:8), and hope I'll be saved (1Cor 3:1215). I'm working out my salvation in fear (Phil 2:12), with hopeful confidence in Christ (Rom 5:2).

Old Apr 20, '05, 8:58 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Unreformed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilliam
I seriously doubt it. He would probably say that Vatican II hasn't been fully implemented yet.
There is no need for V3. V2 isn't over yet. It won't be over for another 100 years. B16 has said that V2 has been inaccurately applied.

My opinion is that much of what I have read and heard among Catholic writers and speakers bears no relation at all to V2. It is unbridled heterodoxy: a free-for-all for the kumbaya crowd and the gucci-shoe set.

What I think we will see from B16 is a long awaited clarity on V2 from someone who has studied it deeply and has much to contribute to its redemption. This will be a source of joy to many, even to those who think they oppose this Pope. Because, as this Pope has said, there is no Charity without Truth. They are inseparable.

Oh we are deeply blessed by this Pope. Oh and my first and foremost prayer is for long long long life for our beloved B16.
Old Apr 20, '05, 9:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt19:26
Does anyone here think Pope Benedict XVI will call Vatican III?
I remember for sure that when he was cardinal he has been reported as saying: "Vatican III? not during my life!!"

He knows pretty well how many semi-catholics, even among bishops, would try to hijack a council in order to destroy the catholicity and make our Holy Church become "just another denomination".
Old Apr 20, '05, 10:35 am

So how forcefull and swiftly do you think Pope Benedict XVI will act? For example, one of the things Vatican II did not say was that Mass should be celebrated facing the people. Do you think he could order that Altars be pushed back up against the wall?
Old Apr 20, '05, 11:46 am

No Vatican III though I believe he has said that while Masses will remain in the vernacular he would like to implement more Latin into the Mass. Works for me! He has also made statements about a Vatican approved Indult not at the behest of the Bishops. This was said a while ago so we'll see. The fact remains it seems he DOES think too much tradition was done away with after VII and may well wish to reintroduce some of it. I think that can only work for the good of the Church.

Should we lose some nominal Catholics because of it, so be it, I would rather have a small, faithful church than a huge indifferent one.

God Bless His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI!
Old Apr 20, '05, 11:51 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani Ibi
There is no need for V3. V2 isn't over yet. It won't be over for another 100 years. B16 has said that V2 has been inaccurately applied.

My opinion is that much of what I have read and heard among Catholic writers and speakers bears no relation at all to V2. It is unbridled heterodoxy: a free-for-all for the kumbaya crowd and the gucci-shoe set.

What I think we will see from B16 is a long awaited clarity on V2 from someone who has studied it deeply and has much to contribute to its redemption. This will be a source of joy to many, even to those who think they oppose this Pope. Because, as this Pope has said, there is no Charity without Truth. They are inseparable.

Oh we are deeply blessed by this Pope. Oh and my first and foremost prayer is for long long long life for our beloved B16.
Exactly, it'll take enough time to correct everyone's (especially the heterodox/dissenter) views on VII, and how it should be applied. I don't think there will be a VIII (or other ecumenical council) for quite a while

Old Apr 20, '05, 11:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnworthySoul
No Vatican III though I believe he has said that while Masses will remain in the vernacular he would like to implement more Latin into the Mass. Works for me! He has also made statements about a Vatican approved Indult not at the behest of the Bishops. This was said a while ago so we'll see. The fact remains it seems he DOES think too much tradition was done away with after VII and may well wish to reintroduce some of it. I think that can only work for the good of the Church.

Should we lose some nominal Catholics because of it, so be it, I would rather have a small, faithful church than a huge indifferent one.

God Bless His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI!
Amen! Benedict XVI has pretty much said the same in a pre-election interview while he was still Cardinal. The springtime does not necessarily mean a larger church, but a more faithful one. And Vatican II is still being impemented. It will play a huge part in the Springtime. The Radical Left and the Radical right will fade away. Their loss. Not ours.
Old Apr 20, '05, 12:06 pm

Religion: (Roman) Catholic

Not only did Cardinal Ratzinger, nka Pope Benedict XVI, studied the documents of V2, he was a participant as "consultor" to the council like Pope John Paul II during their younger days.

Remember also that after the Council in 1972, together with Hans Urs von Balthasar, Henry De Lubac and others, he launched the Catholic theological journal "Communio," a quarterly review of Catholic theology and culture.

It has been said that this was done in repsonse to the misinterpretation of the Second Vatican Council by Karl Rahner, Hans Kung and others, as represented by the theological journal "Concilium."

Instead of a 3rd Vatican Council, which is indeed premature, I agree that a re-reading of the 2nd Vatican Council documents should be undertaken in earnest as Pope Benedict XVI has signalled in his first homily yesterday.

Amado

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Benedict XVI: 2005