Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Benedict XVI: 2005
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

 
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Apr 19, '05, 3:21 pm
Mt19:26 Mt19:26 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: March 8, 2005
Posts: 451
Religion: Catholic
Default Vatican III?

Does anyone here think Pope Benedict XVI will call Vatican III? If so, what would you like to see addressed?
  #2  
Old Apr 19, '05, 3:22 pm
gilliam's Avatar
gilliam gilliam is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: June 11, 2004
Posts: 34,179
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Vatican III?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt19:26
Does anyone here think Pope Benedict XVI will call Vatican III?
I seriously doubt it. He would probably say that Vatican II hasn't been fully implemented yet.
__________________
  #3  
Old Apr 20, '05, 8:44 am
awalt awalt is offline
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: December 12, 2004
Posts: 1,782
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Vatican III?

That's exactly what he said in his morning speech --

"I too, as I start in the service that is proper to the Successor of Peter, wish to affirm with force my decided will to pursue the commitment to enact Vatican Council II, in the wake of my predecessors and in faithful continuity with the millennia-old tradition of the Church
__________________
I'm saved (Eph 2:58), being saved (1Cor 1:8), and hope I'll be saved (1Cor 3:1215). I'm working out my salvation in fear (Phil 2:12), with hopeful confidence in Christ (Rom 5:2).

  #4  
Old Apr 20, '05, 8:58 am
Ani Ibi's Avatar
Ani Ibi Ani Ibi is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: October 30, 2004
Posts: 15,285
Religion: Unreformed
Default Re: Vatican III?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilliam
I seriously doubt it. He would probably say that Vatican II hasn't been fully implemented yet.
There is no need for V3. V2 isn't over yet. It won't be over for another 100 years. B16 has said that V2 has been inaccurately applied.

My opinion is that much of what I have read and heard among Catholic writers and speakers bears no relation at all to V2. It is unbridled heterodoxy: a free-for-all for the kumbaya crowd and the gucci-shoe set.

What I think we will see from B16 is a long awaited clarity on V2 from someone who has studied it deeply and has much to contribute to its redemption. This will be a source of joy to many, even to those who think they oppose this Pope. Because, as this Pope has said, there is no Charity without Truth. They are inseparable.

Oh we are deeply blessed by this Pope. Oh and my first and foremost prayer is for long long long life for our beloved B16.
__________________
a song for you: O come, o come, Emmanuel
  #5  
Old Apr 20, '05, 9:02 am
AleGenoa AleGenoa is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: April 5, 2005
Posts: 18
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Vatican III?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt19:26
Does anyone here think Pope Benedict XVI will call Vatican III?
I remember for sure that when he was cardinal he has been reported as saying: "Vatican III? not during my life!!"


He knows pretty well how many semi-catholics, even among bishops, would try to hijack a council in order to destroy the catholicity and make our Holy Church become "just another denomination".
  #6  
Old Apr 20, '05, 10:35 am
Mt19:26 Mt19:26 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: March 8, 2005
Posts: 451
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Vatican III?

So how forcefull and swiftly do you think Pope Benedict XVI will act? For example, one of the things Vatican II did not say was that Mass should be celebrated facing the people. Do you think he could order that Altars be pushed back up against the wall?
  #7  
Old Apr 20, '05, 11:46 am
UnworthySoul UnworthySoul is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: June 8, 2004
Posts: 403
Default Re: Vatican III?

No Vatican III though I believe he has said that while Masses will remain in the vernacular he would like to implement more Latin into the Mass. Works for me! He has also made statements about a Vatican approved Indult not at the behest of the Bishops. This was said a while ago so we'll see. The fact remains it seems he DOES think too much tradition was done away with after VII and may well wish to reintroduce some of it. I think that can only work for the good of the Church.

Should we lose some nominal Catholics because of it, so be it, I would rather have a small, faithful church than a huge indifferent one.

God Bless His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI!
__________________
The times are out of step with the Catholic Church.
  #8  
Old Apr 20, '05, 11:51 am
mtr01 mtr01 is offline
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: August 13, 2004
Posts: 3,888
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Vatican III?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani Ibi
There is no need for V3. V2 isn't over yet. It won't be over for another 100 years. B16 has said that V2 has been inaccurately applied.

My opinion is that much of what I have read and heard among Catholic writers and speakers bears no relation at all to V2. It is unbridled heterodoxy: a free-for-all for the kumbaya crowd and the gucci-shoe set.

What I think we will see from B16 is a long awaited clarity on V2 from someone who has studied it deeply and has much to contribute to its redemption. This will be a source of joy to many, even to those who think they oppose this Pope. Because, as this Pope has said, there is no Charity without Truth. They are inseparable.

Oh we are deeply blessed by this Pope. Oh and my first and foremost prayer is for long long long life for our beloved B16.
Exactly, it'll take enough time to correct everyone's (especially the heterodox/dissenter) views on VII, and how it should be applied. I don't think there will be a VIII (or other ecumenical council) for quite a while
__________________
De profundis clamavi ad te, Domine; Domine, exaudi vocem meam.


  #9  
Old Apr 20, '05, 11:52 am
Marie Marie is offline
 
Join Date: May 16, 2004
Posts: 8,368
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Vatican III?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnworthySoul
No Vatican III though I believe he has said that while Masses will remain in the vernacular he would like to implement more Latin into the Mass. Works for me! He has also made statements about a Vatican approved Indult not at the behest of the Bishops. This was said a while ago so we'll see. The fact remains it seems he DOES think too much tradition was done away with after VII and may well wish to reintroduce some of it. I think that can only work for the good of the Church.

Should we lose some nominal Catholics because of it, so be it, I would rather have a small, faithful church than a huge indifferent one.

God Bless His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI!
Amen! Benedict XVI has pretty much said the same in a pre-election interview while he was still Cardinal. The springtime does not necessarily mean a larger church, but a more faithful one. And Vatican II is still being impemented. It will play a huge part in the Springtime. The Radical Left and the Radical right will fade away. Their loss. Not ours.
  #10  
Old Apr 20, '05, 12:06 pm
Amadeus Amadeus is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 16, 2004
Posts: 1,109
Religion: (Roman) Catholic
Default Re: Vatican III?

Not only did Cardinal Ratzinger, nka Pope Benedict XVI, studied the documents of V2, he was a participant as "consultor" to the council like Pope John Paul II during their younger days.

Remember also that after the Council in 1972, together with Hans Urs von Balthasar, Henry De Lubac and others, he launched the Catholic theological journal "Communio," a quarterly review of Catholic theology and culture.

It has been said that this was done in repsonse to the misinterpretation of the Second Vatican Council by Karl Rahner, Hans Kung and others, as represented by the theological journal "Concilium."

Instead of a 3rd Vatican Council, which is indeed premature, I agree that a re-reading of the 2nd Vatican Council documents should be undertaken in earnest as Pope Benedict XVI has signalled in his first homily yesterday.
__________________
AMDG

Amado
 

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Benedict XVI: 2005

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8458Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: GLam8833
5146CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: mountee
4424Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3863SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3740Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: DesertSister62
3322Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3284Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3224Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3111For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Kellyreneeomara



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:30 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.