Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 3, '10, 5:13 pm

Religion: A man hoping to join the Catholic Church (currently in RCIA)
Default Is calling someone a "fool" really a sin?

Let's be honest, not-too-bright people surround all of us. Is calling someone an "idiot" (or "fool" like Jesus said) a sin, in the context of "Why did you act so stupid?" or "She's an idiot for getting that question wrong"? Or was that just a response to Pharisee customs and not a universal law?

Keep in mind I'm not talking about calling someone with a disability an "idiot". That's obviously immoral.
Old Nov 3, '10, 6:43 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: joyfully Catholic
Default Re: Is calling someone a "fool" really a sin?

I think you will find that Jesus meant the contempt that can underlie condemning another as a fool...it does show a degree of judgement to call someone stupid and it can undermine their self image, if not our perception of another person.

It was the unloving contemptuous meaning held in the words sometimes that Jesus was censuring. He teaching is all about 'Love", "Charity"

It isn't charitable to call another person a fool, but you can acknowledge that the person has made a foolish mistake (in your perception, and in view of the consequences).

I've given judgement of others some thought and various times in my life and written a number of prayers relating to that e.g

Judge you, my brother?

God, eternity waits for those who live the gospel to truly share in Your delight in each person. With You, we will rejoice in everyone who accepts Christ’s invitation to follow Him with prayer, penance and generosity!

How profound is the giving required by that person, and this! What happiness, what anguish is known there! What temptation is encountered! What sensitivities enfeeble or enrich and sanctify that life! How great is Your glory in the strange or ordinary facts and struggles of their existence! Yet, how can we know?

We err in applying rules of private interpretation to another’s intention or act, except as feeble measure for our compassion and charity. Only by one’s private consciousness—unless enlightened by Your Spirit of love—can each see what lies in another’s soul.

Each person is a unique expression of Your love, an individual world, some great, and some miniature, separate in existence and consciousness, yet united in You. Yet how quickly do we judge each other! We offer You our hurt and theirs in prayer for healing and forgiveness.

Let us not belittle or betray, in thought, or by gossip—the seemingly sinful, the apparently misled or foolish, or those perceived to be ugly, or crippled in mind or spirit. Let us celebrate their preciousness in You. Let us no longer sin against Your sacred love and creation in anyone by our judgements however seemingly justified.

Let Your Holy Spirit know and love each other person through us, with sensitivity to their emerging needs. Give us compassion for each other, however perplexed or inaccurate our perception, so that we revere each other—and ourselves—as individuals sacred to You.

Through Your Spirit, we can offer appreciation, justice and love to each other as we wait humbly on the full vision of Your meaning, purpose, and love of each person, in the final translation that follows death. Let us serve and intercede for each other person as loved child of God, in glad, trusting welcome.
as if each person is the only loved one.
JESUS please welcome each person with love, healing, and great joy!
Thank You JESUS

Mother Mary at the wedding feast of Cana (John 2:1-12)
though JESUS protested it was not yet time for miracles
you successfully interceded with Him for a family's temporal need
please now intercede with your divine Son
for each person's temporal and spiritual needs.
Thank you Mother

JESUS please grant our prayer for this person

Catechism of the Catholic Church http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM
Old Nov 3, '10, 6:48 pm

Religion: Brethern In Christ

I figure you talking about this verse:

Matt. 522 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca( empty headed man), shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;

Doesn't look like something you want to call another brother or sister in Christ..
Old Nov 3, '10, 6:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiskid1973 View Post
I figure you talking about this verse:

Matt. 522 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca( empty headed man), shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;

Doesn't look like something you want to call another brother or sister in Christ..
But, of course, if someone can lose his salvation by calling his brother a fool, so much for salvation by faith alone/one saved always saved.
Old Nov 3, '10, 6:59 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianD View Post
Let's be honest, not-too-bright people surround all of us. Is calling someone an "idiot" (or "fool" like Jesus said) a sin, in the context of "Why did you act so stupid?" or "She's an idiot for getting that question wrong"? Or was that just a response to Pharisee customs and not a universal law?

Keep in mind I'm not talking about calling someone with a disability an "idiot". That's obviously immoral.
It is a sin against Charity.

'He is not saved, however, who, though part of the body of the Church, does not persevere in charity.' LG(14)
Old Nov 3, '10, 7:54 pm

An "idiot" is a person who is stupid.

A "fool" is a person who makes poor choices.

"Fool" is probably more charitable than "idiot." There has to be a way to show disapproval without sinning, because if you don't show your disapproval you are pretending like there is nothing wrong and that is bad, too. If someone doesn't know what they're doing is wrong, how will they ever change and grow closer to God?
Old Nov 3, '10, 8:11 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

There is a world of difference between telling someone that *they* are stupid and telling them that their *actions* are stupid. I've always thought that the murder Jesus refers to is a murder of the spirit...how many times does a person have to hear that he is stupid before he starts to believe it? We all fall now and again and being held accountable is definitely part of growth. However, we're called to build up rather than tear down and speak the truth in love.
Old Nov 3, '10, 8:15 pm

Religion: Learning about Catholicism

Well, I'd say that depends on the use.
Telling someone they're acting like an idiot?
I don't think there's anything wrong there.
Calling someone an idiot? That's harsher.
Old Nov 3, '10, 9:17 pm

It worked for Mr. T!

Old Nov 3, '10, 9:20 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Protestant

Yes, It is a sin to call someone else a fool by the bible reference to Jesus' teaching in the previous post.

The second most important commandment from Jesus ("Love your neighbor as yourself") comes only after loving God with all your heart and mind and soul.

Galatians 6:2 requires us to be gentle with believers:
"Brothers, is someone is caught in sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted."

Paul also says (1st Corinthians 9:19-23) to be all things to all people who do not believe in order to win them to Christ. Calling even a non-believer a fool is inconsistent with this teaching.
Old Nov 4, '10, 7:06 am

Religion: RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzbaby1 View Post
There is a world of difference between telling someone that *they* are stupid and telling them that their *actions* are stupid. I've always thought that the murder Jesus refers to is a murder of the spirit...how many times does a person have to hear that he is stupid before he starts to believe it? We all fall now and again and being held accountable is definitely part of growth. However, we're called to build up rather than tear down and speak the truth in love.

Bzzzt! We have a winner.

Good post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurneyhalleck1 View Post
It worked for Mr. T!

lol. He uses "Pity" a lot, too.
Old Nov 4, '10, 8:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurneyhalleck1 View Post
It worked for Mr. T!

He has a pretty cool testimony of his faith in Christ...He went through a tough bout with cancer..Couple related thoughts..It all starts in the mind... Bringing our thought life in obedience to Christ...The tongue, James speaks a lot about it...One thing I was learned over the years is that if it isn't encouraging or beneficial to the hearer best not to say it..Restore in love...
Old Nov 4, '10, 7:32 pm

Religion: Catholic

I've often wondered about thsi verse, thanks peeps for the clear up.

It was amusing once, I told a die hard anti-Catholic christian his actions were foolish [not him being a fool, just his actions being foolish. heh] He cited this verse, told me I was going to Hell and this is what was wrong with the RCC. He then preceeded to calling me a [rude word for intercourse]ing [rude word for a part of the female anatomy].
Old Nov 4, '10, 7:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vera dicere View Post
He then preceeded to calling me a [rude word for intercourse]ing [rude word for a part of the female anatomy].
..And you told him to get into the word so the Holy Spirit can use it to teach
him how to reflect Christ in all his word, deed , thoughts ,actions and attitudes.
Old Nov 4, '10, 8:04 pm

Religion: A man hoping to join the Catholic Church (currently in RCIA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vera dicere View Post
He then preceeded to calling me a [rude word for intercourse]ing [rude word for a part of the female anatomy].
That's disgusting. No one deserves that.

Let God deal with that "man".

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology