Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Nov 3, '10, 9:22 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Question Is kissing a sin?

Last Sunday at church a overheard a group of girls talking about their older sister's relationships. One girl mentioned her sister kisses her boyfriend and another girl said "Oh that's a sin, To kiss before your married." So I was wondering if it's a sin just to kiss a boy before your married?
Old Nov 3, '10, 9:56 pm

Default Re: Is kissing a sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna1430 View Post
Last Sunday at church a overheard a group of girls talking about their older sister's relationships. One girl mentioned her sister kisses her boyfriend and another girl said "Oh that's a sin, To kiss before your married." So I was wondering if it's a sin just to kiss a boy before your married?
I can't say that I know for sure, but my instincts tell me that this is a case of over-scrupulosity in action.

--James Chapel
Old Nov 3, '10, 10:00 pm
Book Club Member

Yes, unless it's a non-passionate peck.

There are a number of sermons on purity issues here that go into the details.
Old Nov 4, '10, 1:14 am

Religion: catholic

Great sermons. I wish I would have had that knowledge when I was a teenager.
Old Nov 4, '10, 1:19 am

Jesus,our Lords peace be with You.
Dear friend,and sorry for my bad english,if kissing is a sin,I have a lot to confess,because I had some girlfriends back in the 1970 to the begining of 1980,before I married. I think,and I have not look up a ansver from the Catechism,but I know it is not in The Bible,that kissing is not a sin,it will become one if things goes out of hands,but I confess that to. Believe it or not,but I did want to be a priest one day,well,I did not become one and I guess there is one happy Pope in the Vatican. All the best to You,and to be sure,ask Your priest,but I think his ansver will be the same.
Old Nov 4, '10, 1:35 am

This might be a shocker to some on this website, but not only is it not innately sinful to kiss, but in the Bible there are several cases of MEN KISSING MEN. Jesus even gets involved in it.
Old Nov 4, '10, 1:45 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer2 View Post
Yes they're great stuff.

Though we could've learned it from the natural law if only we were good enough, the corrupt world teaches a different story very fervently in its entertainment.

All sins of lust are mortal sins, when the usual conditions apply, consent and knowledge. Near occasions of sins we are also morally required to avoid.

'You have heard that it was said to them of old: Thou shalt not commit adultery. But I say to you, that whosoever shall look on a woman to lust after her, hath already committed adultery with her in his heart.'

Matthew 5:27-28

Condemned: "It is a probable opinion which states that a kiss is only venial when performed for the sake of the carnal and sensible delight which arises from the kiss, if danger of further consent and pollution is excluded."

Denzinger - Sources of Catholic Dogma, Various Errors on Moral Matters
Old Nov 4, '10, 4:04 am
Forum Master

Religion: Roman Catholic

Anna1430,

It depends on who you listen to.

There are some Christians who are extremely socially conservative and believe that kissing before marriage is a sin. Shin is someone like this. If you respect this kind of Catholicism, then you will believe that kissing is a sin.

The majority of Catholics are not as conservative. I put myself in this camp. Yes, we are still prolife to the core, and we accept all the official teachings of the Catholic Church as spelled out in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. But we are more likely to allow each individual to decide such matters as kissing according to their own conscience, provided that the conscience has been well-formed.

I'm a mother of two daughters who are now 24 and 27, who turned out good. I work with hundreds of teenagers in music and theater settings. I do NOT believe that kissing before marriage is wrong. When a man and woman love each other, it's appropriate to express that love through a kiss until they are married and can participate in the Act of Love without sinning.

I personally believe that teenagers can be in love; my husband and I started dating at age 15, and my daughter, who has been married for a few years now, started dating her husband when she was 14. Therefore, I believe it's permissible for teenagers to kiss.

I think that caution must be practiced, as a kiss can grow into more than a kiss. But I don't believe it is a sin to feel desire for someone that you love (or even think you love). The Bible does not forbid desire, it forbids acting upon that desire.

As for when desire is actually lust--that's difficult to say, especially when someone is inexperienced in matters of love. I do not believe that desire = lust. I know that others DO believe the two are the same.

Again, there is a certain point at which you will have to decide which teachers you will listen to. You don't know me or Shin or any of the people online at CAF. My suggestion is that you seek out an older wise woman in your parish. I hope it is your mother, grandmother, or another relative, but if for some reason it is difficult to communicate with these relatives, then with your mother or father's permission, find an older woman that you know, and that you love and respect, perhaps a teacher in the parish or your parish school. Ask this woman to be your spiritual mentor, and then discuss these issues with her. If you respect and love her, you will listen to her advice rather than someone online that you don't even know.
Old Nov 4, '10, 4:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer2 View Post
Ditto. I made a lot of mistakes that I feel sure I wouldn't have if I had had a good chastity education and if I were properly catechized.
Old Nov 4, '10, 4:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickSebast View Post
This might be a shocker to some on this website, but not only is it not innately sinful to kiss, but in the Bible there are several cases of MEN KISSING MEN. Jesus even gets involved in it.
Men kissing men in the Bible is no more than what happens in many countries to this day - it is a common greeting to kiss on each cheek. Your comment is just a distraction from the original question.

Kissing in a male/female relationship between those who are not married to each other can be innocent or it can be a mortal sin. Chaste kissing is fine. Deep kissing (known as french kissing) is a mortal sin. All sins against the 6th Commandment are mortal because of how sacred sex is.

It's not enough to be good; you need to show it. What would you say of a rose bush which produced only thorns?#735, Furrow - St. Josemaria Escriva
Old Nov 4, '10, 4:21 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

As far as I'm concerned if the Catechism doesn't list it as a mortal sin then it's not. Those who are saying it is a mortal sin are probably being too conservative. Yes its related to the adultary commandment, but it doesn't mean it comes under it. What's next? Looking at another member of the opposite sex? Holding hands? Hugging?

Kissing is a normal way of expression exclusive affection for someone you love. It's not being unchaste.

To the poster above me who said that only certain types of kissing is a sin; that's a certain flaw to your argument. If only certain types of kissing are bad, does not mean only certain types of stealing is bad? Only certain types of sexual intercourse? I wasn't aware we could pick and choose.
Old Nov 4, '10, 4:34 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonAndLime View Post
As far as I'm concerned if the Catechism doesn't list it as a mortal sin then it's not. Those who are saying it is a mortal sin are probably being too conservative. Yes its related to the adultary commandment, but it doesn't mean it comes under it. What's next? Looking at another member of the opposite sex? Holding hands? Hugging?

Kissing is a normal way of expression exclusive affection for someone you love. It's not being unchaste.

To the poster above me who said that only certain types of kissing is a sin; that's a certain flaw to your argument. If only certain types of kissing are bad, does not mean only certain types of stealing is bad? Only certain types of sexual intercourse? I wasn't aware we could pick and choose.
But didn't Jesus say that if you look at someone with lust in your heart you have commited adultery?
Old Nov 4, '10, 4:37 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InNeedOfPrayer View Post
But didn't Jesus say that if you look at someone with lust in your heart you have commited adultery?
My understanding though is that lust is different from having feelings for someone. Lust is the desire to commit a sin (or thinking about it), whereas looking at someone with the feeling of love or attraction is not a sin.
Old Nov 4, '10, 4:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonAndLime View Post
My understanding though is that lust is different from having feelings for someone. Lust is the desire to commit a sin (or thinking about it), whereas looking at someone with the feeling of love or attraction is not a sin.
But deep kissing (French kissing) generally leads one into lust rather than chaste love or attraction. I think that's the distinction previous posters are trying to make -- there is a kind of kissing that's absolutely fine for unmarried couples, and there is a kind of kissing that is not.
Old Nov 4, '10, 5:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totterman View Post
I have a lot to confess
Go for it!
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life