Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Nov 8, '10, 7:40 am
brickwall brickwall is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: November 3, 2010
Posts: 30
Religion: Catholic
Default Is God's anger the same as human anger?

I was reading about Our Lady of Akita (one of the few weeping statues to be genuinely recognized by the Catholic Church) and I came across a quote that the Virgin Mary told to the Japanese nun who first discovered the divine attributes of the statue. The quote follows:

Quote:
It is very important...You will convey it to your superior. Many men in this world afflict the Lord. I desire souls to console Him to soften the anger of the Heavenly Father. I wish, with my Son, for souls who will repair by their suffering and their poverty for the sinners and ingrates. In order that the world might know His anger, the Heavenly Father is preparing to inflict a great chastisement on all mankind. With my Son I have intervened so many times to appease the wrath of the Father. I have prevented the coming of calamities by offering Him the sufferings of the Son on the Cross, His Precious Blood, and beloved souls who console Him forming a cohort of victim souls. Prayer, penance and courageous sacrifices can soften the Father's anger.
This came across strange to me because it makes it seem that God is imperfect because He is prone to anger and making rash decisions. I may be misunderstanding or missing the context of the quote.

I would appreciate it if someone could clarify.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Nov 8, '10, 8:57 am
Julian0404's Avatar
Julian0404 Julian0404 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 7, 2009
Posts: 1,549
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is God's anger the same as human anger?

No, it is "us" who are as you describe "...prone to anger and making rash decisions..." When men are angery, we have no love toward the object of our anger. When GOD is angery, HE still loves. When men inflict pain during anger it is inteded only to achieve what we perceive as our vengence, our "pound of flesh". When GOD inflicts HIS wrath on men it is intended to teach first, and bring souls back to HIM, not to collect any vengence or pound of flesh.
GOD gave the world 100 years to turn back to HIM before he unleashed the flood. Would we as men wait 100 years for those with whom we are angery?
GOD went to Sodom and Gomohraa personally to find "10" good people, which HE did not find.
GOD gave the Egyptians 10 times (plagues) to free the Isrealites without incurring HIS warth.
GOD has given the USA 20 + years with countless elections to turn back the holocaust of abortion that is taking 4,000 innocent lives each day.

GOD "...is slow to anger..." as the bible teaches us, but HE will evntually after a very long time and many opportunities, warnings and messages to turn back, justly bring HIS wrath upon HIS people that they may learn and return to HIM.

Prepare yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Nov 8, '10, 9:03 am
Barbkw Barbkw is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: August 18, 2010
Posts: 5,927
Religion: Cradle Catholic - Revert
Default Re: Is God's anger the same as human anger?

Depends on the person's closeness to and understanding of Gods' love. God is angry for love of us. A loving father, disciplines his child because he loves his children.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Nov 8, '10, 9:15 am
brickwall brickwall is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: November 3, 2010
Posts: 30
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is God's anger the same as human anger?

Thanks for shedding some light on that, it really helped.

If He's doing this for our own good, then why would the Virgin Mary try to stop it if She knows it would be beneficial to us?

More replies are welcome about this topic.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Nov 8, '10, 10:50 am
Barbkw Barbkw is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: August 18, 2010
Posts: 5,927
Religion: Cradle Catholic - Revert
Default Re: Is God's anger the same as human anger?

The way I see it, God always shields us from the full advances of evil.

We know that there are people who can walk unharmed of soul amoung great evil. It's a personal practice yes, but more importantly it's a cooperation with the grace of God.

The less willing we are to cooperate with the Holy Spirit, the more we become open to the full advance and strength of evil influences, compulsive negative behaviors and mortal sins.

As we know from history, there are mortal thoughts and actions that people take to their deaths, denying God and harming humanity. These people truely appear to be in league with Satan.

Last edited by Barbkw; Nov 8, '10 at 11:07 am.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Nov 8, '10, 11:10 am
Barbkw Barbkw is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: August 18, 2010
Posts: 5,927
Religion: Cradle Catholic - Revert
Default Re: Is God's anger the same as human anger?

"...Our Lady of Akita."

Catholics are not required to believe in these personal apparitions, whether or not the Church has ruled on them.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Nov 8, '10, 12:25 pm
Julian0404's Avatar
Julian0404 Julian0404 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 7, 2009
Posts: 1,549
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is God's anger the same as human anger?

Mary became our Co-Redemtrix when She said "Yes" to the angel Gabriel, when She was asked to become the Mother of the SON of GOD; which means She works to assist us toward our salvation. She cannot grant us salvation, but She can intercede for us - individually and/or in whole as a "humanity".
Mary became our Mother "individually and/or "humanity" from the cross when JESUS "gave her to John", and like any good Mother She desires that we learn "softly" and She attempts to stay the hand of the FATHER, WHO may be more prone to teaching with punishement.
Mary is "human" of the flesh. She understands the difficulty and tests we all face in our lives and how easy it is for us to fall into sin, although She Herself NEVER sinned.
Therefore the synergy of those three aspects of Mary, i.e. Co-Redemtrix, Mother, and "of the flesh" moves Her to continuosly request and beg before Her spouse THE HOLY SPIRIT to hold off and/or reduce the punishment due humanity for our terrible rejection of Her spouse, Her SON, and The FATHER.
Whatever GOD will chose to chastise us for the murder and our failure to stop the murder of abortion, it will be less than HE planned, because of HIS love for HIS spouse the Virgin Mary, and Her intercession for us.
From the above, I hope you can see the power and place of the Rosary in petitioning heaven. The TRINITY will always listen to Mary, and Mary will always listen to our petitions through the Rosary.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Nov 8, '10, 12:37 pm
mindlight mindlight is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: October 13, 2010
Posts: 41
Religion: Christian
Default Re: Is God's anger the same as human anger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickwall View Post
I was reading about Our Lady of Akita (one of the few weeping statues to be genuinely recognized by the Catholic Church) and I came across a quote that the Virgin Mary told to the Japanese nun who first discovered the divine attributes of the statue. The quote follows:



This came across strange to me because it makes it seem that God is imperfect because He is prone to anger and making rash decisions. I may be misunderstanding or missing the context of the quote.

I would appreciate it if someone could clarify.
It is quotes like this that make me doubt the later doctrines about Mary and to suspect the inclination of Catholics to pray through her rather than direct to Jesus. God acts out of love and is slow to anger longing to have mercy where that is possible. His actions are always just and true. Mary is not required to soften his heart, He stands alone and is self-sufficient. We can trust God to make the right decisions and to be angry only where His love has been rejected and the Divine efforts and terms for reconciliation ignored.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Nov 8, '10, 1:02 pm
fhansen fhansen is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 11, 2007
Posts: 6,878
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is God's anger the same as human anger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickwall View Post
I was reading about Our Lady of Akita (one of the few weeping statues to be genuinely recognized by the Catholic Church) and I came across a quote that the Virgin Mary told to the Japanese nun who first discovered the divine attributes of the statue. The quote follows:



This came across strange to me because it makes it seem that God is imperfect because He is prone to anger and making rash decisions. I may be misunderstanding or missing the context of the quote.

I would appreciate it if someone could clarify.
Gods' anger would be pure-as Jesus' anger was against the money-lenders in the temple. It's strictly directed against evil, which scripture tells us He hates. Our anger is generally tainted, often even contrived or manipulated, sort of motivated by our egos-our quest for power and feelings of righteousness, i.e. pride. Rarely, IMO do we experience a "clean" or innocent and controlled form of anger, the purpose of which is not to strike out at someone rather than to simply oppose evil we encounter.
__________________
"This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections." - Saint Augustine

"It is love alone that gives worth to all things." - St. Teresa of Avila
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Nov 8, '10, 1:59 pm
clmowry clmowry is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 24, 2004
Posts: 2,695
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is God's anger the same as human anger?

Sound's like the God of Abraham described in the Old Testament to me.

I don't suspect He's changed any.

He indicated He was ready to give up on the tribes of Israel and start over with Moses. Moses interceded and God did not go forward with the new plan, etc. [for example.]

Now of course He knew that Moses would intercede before He did so and He knew that He would not be starting over.

None of that was for His benefit or to satisfy His anger, it was about sending a message to His children.

It’s like dad saying "I brought you into the world and I can take you out" only on a Biblical scale.

Good news is mom keeps asking Dad not to kick us to the curb.

Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickwall View Post
This came across strange to me because it makes it seem that God is imperfect because He is prone to anger and making rash decisions. I may be misunderstanding or missing the context of the quote.
__________________
Take this love, therefore, as the end that is set before you, to which you are to refer all that you say, and, whatever you narrate, narrate it in such a manner that he to whom you are discoursing on hearing may believe, on believing may hope, on hoping may love. - St. Augustine
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Nov 8, '10, 2:04 pm
StrawberryJam StrawberryJam is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 1, 2009
Posts: 7,847
Religion: agnostic w/ catholic leanings
Default Re: Is God's anger the same as human anger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickwall View Post
I was reading about Our Lady of Akita (one of the few weeping statues to be genuinely recognized by the Catholic Church) and I came across a quote that the Virgin Mary told to the Japanese nun who first discovered the divine attributes of the statue. The quote follows:



This came across strange to me because it makes it seem that God is imperfect because He is prone to anger and making rash decisions. I may be misunderstanding or missing the context of the quote.

I would appreciate it if someone could clarify.
Your question is about God's anger and human anger.
The body of your post goes into some details about a bleeding statue.
I just would like to note that the question can be answered without adding bleeding statues.
__________________
It's nothing to get hung about.

Strawberry Fields Forever
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Nov 8, '10, 2:14 pm
MarianD's Avatar
MarianD MarianD is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: August 24, 2010
Posts: 664
Religion: A man hoping to join the Catholic Church (currently in RCIA)
Default Re: Is God's anger the same as human anger?

God is Just and Loving. God is Just and so He wishes to rightfully punish us for our sins, but He is also Loving and is willing to forgive should we request to be forgiven and show (through our faith, repentance, and penance) that we want to be forgiven.

It seems to me (and I'm not too sure about this) that the Father tends to be more Just while the Son tends to be more forgiving. Hence why, in order to restore our union with the Father, we needed a perfect sacrifice (the Son's sacrifice on the Cross) and, in order to be forgiven by the Son (who has been given the authority to forgive sins by the Father), all we need to do is ask.
__________________
Without love, deeds, even the most brilliant, count as nothing - St. Therese
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Nov 8, '10, 4:20 pm
John21652 John21652 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: December 1, 2009
Posts: 7,979
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via MSN to John21652
Default Re: Is God's anger the same as human anger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickwall View Post
I was reading about Our Lady of Akita (one of the few weeping statues to be genuinely recognized by the Catholic Church) and I came across a quote that the Virgin Mary told to the Japanese nun who first discovered the divine attributes of the statue. The quote follows:



This came across strange to me because it makes it seem that God is imperfect because He is prone to anger and making rash decisions. I may be misunderstanding or missing the context of the quote.

I would appreciate it if someone could clarify.
I have gotten really angry a few times, but no-one ever turned into pillars of salt, or drowned in a flood, or was consumed by fire, so I guess my anger isn't in the same league as God's anger. Then again, maybe my moral outrage isn't as great as the one who created those who offend Him.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Nov 8, '10, 10:10 pm
Holly3278's Avatar
Holly3278 Holly3278 is offline
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: April 21, 2005
Posts: 19,926
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278
Default Re: Is God's anger the same as human anger?

No, God's anger is a righteous anger while human anger often is not. A major exception would be the anger of Jesus in the Bible when He overthrew the tables in the temple.
__________________


"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX


Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Nov 9, '10, 2:11 am
AlanBOPraem AlanBOPraem is offline
Observing Member
 
Join Date: December 7, 2009
Posts: 2
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is God's anger the same as human anger?

WHENEVER we speak about God, we are never using terms in EXACTLY the same way that we use them with regard to creatures (we are using them in a SIMILAR way, but not in precisely the same way....that is, we are using terms, as St. Thomas Aquinas would say, in an "analogous" way, not in an "univocal" way). For, as St. Thomas Aquinas teaches, whenever we speak about God, we are using terms that come from our human experience in creation; but, God is so far beyond His creation that, likewise, He will be so far beyond those terms that we use which derive from His creation.

Thus, when we speak about "anger" with regard to God and "anger" with regard to man (or brute animals), we are not using the term "anger" in exactly the same way (again, we are using "anger" in an "analogous", not "univocal", way). The reason why we use the same term to describe men and God is that there are similarities in the way that angry men act, and the way that God acts in creation when He is said to be "angry". For, when a man is angry, he will tend to act in a way to correct what he perceives to be an injustice (perhaps resorting to violence, if necessary). Likewise, when God is said to be angry, He will tend to act in a way to correct an injustice that He knows is occurring, perhaps resorting to violence (eg., Sodom and Gomorrah; the Plagues in Egypt; the death of Ananias and Sapphira (Acts 5) for lying to Peter; etc.). But, there are differences between an "angry" man and God when He is "angry". For one thing, "anger" in a man is an emotion (stemming from the fact that man has a physical, bodily nature with emotions); but, God, in His divine nature, does not have a body, nor does He have emotions in the true sense (thus, He does not "feel" "anger" like we do). Likewise, for man to feel "angry" implies that there is some weakness in man (there is a real threat or injustice done to him which he seeks to avenge); but, with God, there are no weaknesses, no imperfections, and thus, no possibility of REALLY doing harm to God (for, God is all-powerful and all-perfect for all eternity). Thus, God could never really experience an "unjust" harm done to His Being; could never experience a lessening of His Being or His Perfect, Eternal Happiness. And, thus, God could never be "angry" like we could when we DO experience a real harm done to our person.

Thus, in short, God's "anger" is similar to man's "anger", but not exactly the same.

Having said that, God did become Man in the Person of Jesus Christ, who was clearly angry in certain circumstances (eg., Temple Cleansing in Jerusalem of John 2, et al.; the "Woes" to the Scribes and Pharisees of Matt. 23; etc.). And, so, in Christ, God has experienced the sort of anger that we experienced (with one very important difference: Jesus' anger was NEVER sinful, but always directed to true justice, to true ZEAL. While, our anger, often fueled more by pride than by righteous zeal, is often tainted with sin). May we look to Christ, Our Lord, who, while being "meek and humble of heart" (Matt. 11:28) was also, at the same time, filled with "zeal for His Father's House", and has given us some examples of righteous anger--- that is, anger that is concerned only for the Glory of God and His Church!

-Brother Alan
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8240Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: GLam8833
4997CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: James_OPL
4342Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: James_OPL
4029OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: B79
3830SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3551Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3219Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3203Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: memphian
3100Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3043For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Thomas Choe



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 8:28 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2013, Catholic Answers.