Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 16, '10, 9:28 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Did Prince William's fiancée, Kate Middleton renounce her Roman Catholic faith?

All British monarchs, since James II must be Anglican. They can marry a person of any faith, except Roman Catholic. It is my understanding that Kate Middleton is Roman Catholic. She and Prince William are scheduled to marry, next year. Does this mean she has renounced her faith? I hope not! To gain a crown and lose your faith is SAD! What are your thoughts?
Old Nov 16, '10, 10:13 am

Religion: RC
Default Re: Did Prince William's fiancée, Kate Middleton renounce her Roman Catholic faith?

No, it does not mean she has to renounce her faith.
Old Nov 16, '10, 10:46 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Did Prince William's fiancée, Kate Middleton renounce her Roman Catholic faith?

Why would you think she's Catholic?

Her pedigree indicates her parents are Church of England (Anglican)
Old Nov 16, '10, 11:06 am

I don't think she has to renounce her faith, but it is quite possible that the Prince may have to give up his place in the line for the throne. If he would convert to Catholicism for the sake of family unity then he'd definitely have to give up his place.

Although not in line for the throne by any stretch of the imagination Tony Blair waited until after he left office as Prime Minister before officially converting since the fear was that many of the British would be scandalized to have a Catholic in No. 10 Downing Street.

ChadS
Old Nov 16, '10, 11:10 am

It is my understanding that she was raised Roman Catholic.
Old Nov 16, '10, 11:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by glencora View Post
It is my understanding that she was raised Roman Catholic.
So you have said twice now, but you don't offer any reasons for your 'understanding'.

Ms Middleton's pedigree doesn't show any link with Catholicism.
Old Nov 16, '10, 11:34 am

I always thought she was an Anglican.

The only person who married into the British Royal Family and was Catholic is Autumn Kelly, the wife of Peter Phillips. He is not in the line of succession, being he has no royal title (at the request of his mother, Princess Anne).

Oh, I forgot-the other Catholic in the family is Princess Michael of Kent. She was an Austrian countess.

There are British royals who converted to Catholicism from Anglicanism: the Duchess of Kent and her son Lord Nicholas. He was in fact married in St. Peter's in Rome and had his first child baptized there.

Anyway-congrats to Prince William and Kate! They look so happy together!

Nice to read some 'happy news' today!

Last edited by barb finnegan; Nov 16, '10 at 11:36 am. Reason: adding words
Old Nov 16, '10, 11:46 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb finnegan View Post
I always thought she was an Anglican.

The only person who married into the British Royal Family and was Catholic is Autumn Kelly, the wife of Peter Phillips. He is not in the line of succession, being he has no royal title (at the request of his mother, Princess Anne).

Oh, I forgot-the other Catholic in the family is Princess Michael of Kent. She was an Austrian countess.

Anyway-congrats to Prince William and Kate! They look so happy together!

Nice to read some 'happy news' today!
I'm afraid this is not entirely accurate:

A) Autumn Kelly converted to the Church of England, leaving the Roman Catholic Church, I'm sorry to say.
B) Peter Philips has no royal or noble title, but he is still in the line of succession (11th). He would only have lost his place had his wife been Catholic at the time of their marriage, but she had converted at that point (Act of Settlement 1701).
C) The Duchess of Kent converted to Catholicism in 1994. Her older son married a Catholic, thus removing himself from the line of succession. Her younger son and two grandchildren have also converted to the Faith.
Old Nov 16, '10, 1:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKirkLVNV View Post
I'm afraid this is not entirely accurate:

A) Autumn Kelly converted to the Church of England, leaving the Roman Catholic Church, I'm sorry to say.
B) Peter Philips has no royal or noble title, but he is still in the line of succession (11th). He would only have lost his place had his wife been Catholic at the time of their marriage, but she had converted at that point (Act of Settlement 1701).
C) The Duchess of Kent converted to Catholicism in 1994. Her older son married a Catholic, thus removing himself from the line of succession. Her younger son and two grandchildren have also converted to the Faith.
Oops-sorry about that. I thought I had my facts straight.

I knew about Autumn Kelly's conversion to the Church of England before her marriage to Peter Phillips.

I knew about the Duchess of Kent's conversion. I think the late Cardinal Hume received her into the Church. She was present at his funeral in 1999, I know that-I saw a photo of her at the Mass in Westminster Cathedral.

I didn't know about her older son marrying a Catholic.

Thanks for clearing things up.

Last edited by barb finnegan; Nov 16, '10 at 1:19 pm. Reason: deleting / adding words
Old Nov 17, '10, 9:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie2 View Post
No, it does not mean she has to renounce her faith.
British law states that a British monarch cannot become Catholic, marry a Catholic, or baptize his children in the Catholic faith. If he does this, he must renounce his place in line to the throne. Phillip, Princess Anne's son, married a woman who was raised Catholic. If she had remained Catholic, he would no longer be able to inheirit the throne. She converted to the Anglican Church so that he would not lose his place in the line of succession.

However, I have never heard anything that Kate Middleton is, or has ever been, a Catholic. Ever. This would have been a major topic of discussion if it was true. I'm fairly certain she's always been a member of the Church of England.
Old Nov 17, '10, 12:35 pm

Why are we debating whether Kate is Catholic or Anglican when, if she is like most British, she's probably atheist!?
Old Nov 17, '10, 12:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by valient Lucy View Post
British law states that a British monarch cannot become Catholic, marry a Catholic, or baptize his children in the Catholic faith. If he does this, he must renounce his place in line to the throne. Phillip, Princess Anne's son, married a woman who was raised Catholic. If she had remained Catholic, he would no longer be able to inheirit the throne. She converted to the Anglican Church so that he would not lose his place in the line of succession.

However, I have never heard anything that Kate Middleton is, or has ever been, a Catholic. Ever. This would have been a major topic of discussion if it was true. I'm fairly certain she's always been a member of the Church of England.
I think you're referring to 'Peter Phillips', right? 'Philip' is Prince Philip, the husband of Queen Elizabeth. Peter Phillips is Princess Anne's son, who married a Canadian, Autumn Kelly, who was born and raised Catholic. He is the Queen's first grandchild, born in 1974.

The law is called The Royal Marriages Act. It was enacted in 1717 (I think it's the year) after King James II, the last Catholic King of England, was exiled. There has been talk in Parliament of repealing this law.
Old Nov 17, '10, 1:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb finnegan View Post
I think you're referring to 'Peter Phillips', right? 'Philip' is Prince Philip, the husband of Queen Elizabeth. Peter Phillips is Princess Anne's son, who married a Canadian, Autumn Kelly, who was born and raised Catholic. He is the Queen's first grandchild, born in 1974.

The law is called The Royal Marriages Act. It was enacted in 1717 (I think it's the year) after King James II, the last Catholic King of England, was exiled. There has been talk in Parliament of repealing this law.
Yeah, I couldn't remember his name. Thanks.
Old Nov 17, '10, 9:11 pm

I have never read anything indicating she is Catholic. And yes she would have to renounce her faith to marry an heir to the throne. The thing is I don't think she would necessarily be Anglican just Protestant or perhaps I should say the right kind of Protestant denomination, say Lutheran or Presybeterian as opposed to some really odd sect.

I haven't been following them as a couple really but it would certainly have come up before, what with her already being a commoner and everything. For those of you that follow these things, what's this I hear that Kate's mother is a regular Hyacinth Bucket?

Oh, and congrats to Wills and Kate!
Old Nov 17, '10, 9:32 pm

I read that Princess Diana's mother is a convert to Catholicism. I don't know if this was before or after her daughter's tragic passing. If magazines are going to mention this about William's other grandmother I'm sure they would have mentioned Kate being Catholic a long time ago.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence