Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Benedict XVI: 2005

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 21, '05, 2:46 am
Observing Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Petrus Romanus

"Peter the Roman" means a curial cardinal who imposes his rock-solid beliefs on other people, hence a head of the Inquisition: he even took the name Benedict!

The cardinals chose the self-righteous path: the end is near - God save the Catholic Church!!
Old Apr 21, '05, 2:54 am
Forum Elder

Default Re: Petrus Romanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conde de Toledo
"Peter the Roman" means a curial cardinal who imposes his rock-solid beliefs on other people, hence a head of the Inquisition: he even took the name Benedict!

The cardinals chose the self-righteous path: the end is near - God save the Catholic Church!!
The conclave did not choose the pope. The Holy Spirit chooses the pope. The conclave merely discerns that choice. Take two valium and repost n the morning.
Old Apr 21, '05, 3:30 am
Banned

The conclave did not choose the pope. The Holy Spirit chooses the pope.

I disagree, history shows there have been a few Popes that the HOly Spirit could not have chosen. Alexander VI for one! Unless the Holy Spirit agrees with simony.

The grace of the Holy Spirit can be rejected by a conclave.
Old Apr 21, '05, 3:35 am

Religion: Catholic!

I think you are referring to the alleged prophecies of St. Malachy.

The prophecies allegedly predict that there would be 268 Popes altogether. The 267th Pope (that's Benedict XVI) was referred to as "Gloria Olivae." The 268th Pope was referred to as "Petrus Romanus." So even if the prophecies were true, Pope Benedict XVI is not Petrus Romanus.
Old Apr 21, '05, 3:46 am

Post Re: Petrus Romanus

Quote:
"
God save the Catholic Church!!
And He will, no doubt of that. I expect Benedict XVI will aid that effort as much as he can in the time God gives him.
Old Apr 21, '05, 3:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_19_59

I disagree, history shows there have been a few Popes that the HOly Spirit could not have chosen. Alexander VI for one! Unless the Holy Spirit agrees with simony.

I agree. Ideally the Holy Spirit would ALWAYS guide the Cardinals to the new Pope, but the cardinals still have free wills. The Holy Spirit guides all of the Cardinals which seek to discern, but the Cardinals are free to reject this guidance (which has led to some poor Popes as history attests.) But all the more remarkable is that with some of the individuals who have been Sumpreme Pontiffs, the Holy Spirit has kept the Popes from teaching Dogmatic error as Christ promised. Thank You Blessed Trinity for preservation through Grace. Thanks and God Bless.
Old Apr 21, '05, 5:38 am

Quote:

What makes you so sure "Peter the Roman" mean a curial cardinal? That's an interesting idea but what makes you think it is so? Could it not mean any of the Roman cardinals or bishops? If you're talking about St. Malachy's supposed prophesy of Peter the Roman, there is nothing in it that says he will "impose" anything. It says he will "feed his flock through many tribulations." That sounds to me like he will be there for the faithful, not impose anything on anyone. He's caring for those who already believe.
Old Apr 21, '05, 6:07 am

Vivi li Benedictum XVI!!!!

hope I got that right, mo no know latin.
Old Apr 21, '05, 6:19 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (from the cradle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnewton
The conclave did not choose the pope. The Holy Spirit chooses the pope. The conclave merely discerns that choice. Take two valium and repost n the morning.
Old Apr 21, '05, 6:22 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

I have a question since we are on the topic of St. Malachy's Prophecy.

Often Prophesies are cryptic and hard to decipher and only become apparent after they come true. "Gloria Olivae" could have something to do with the Benedictines and their offshoot the Olivetans. Hence the choice of Pope Benedict could be construed to fulfill this part of the prophesy.

Does anyone know what the prophesy said about the last 4 Popes? What was the prophesy's description John Paul the Great? How about the short lived John Paul I. Even Paul VI and John XXIII? Surely we should be able to find some correlation to the prophesy.

Does anyone know where to find or what the Prophesy said about the others????
Old Apr 21, '05, 6:46 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

They may as well drop "Catholic Answers" and call this site "Malachy's Musings!"
Old Apr 21, '05, 7:27 am
Forum Master
Book Club Member

Religion: Byzantine Ruthenian "Traditional" Catholic
Question Re: Petrus Romanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_19_59

So you claim to be able to discern the will of God and how He chooses to work though and in His Church?
Old Apr 21, '05, 7:29 am
Banned
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite
Send a message via AIM to dumspirospero Send a message via Yahoo to dumspirospero

ARe you wearing tin foil on your head right now and typing this from an underground bunker?

Quote:

Old Apr 21, '05, 7:33 am
Forum Master
Book Club Member

Religion: Byzantine Ruthenian "Traditional" Catholic
Question Re: Petrus Romanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsheeran
I think you are referring to the alleged prophecies of St. Malachy.

The prophecies allegedly predict that there would be 268 Popes altogether. The 267th Pope (that's Benedict XVI) was referred to as "Gloria Olivae." The 268th Pope was referred to as "Petrus Romanus." So even if the prophecies were true, Pope Benedict XVI is not Petrus Romanus.
I have seen this numbers for the popes but it seems that Pope John Paul II was the 264th pope, or the 263rd successor of St Peter , and Pope Benedict XVI is the 265th pope, or the 264th successor of St Peter.

So why is the "prophecy" off by two?
Old Apr 21, '05, 7:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanza27
I have a question since we are on the topic of St. Malachy's Prophecy.

Often Prophesies are cryptic and hard to decipher and only become apparent after they come true. "Gloria Olivae" could have something to do with the Benedictines and their offshoot the Olivetans. Hence the choice of Pope Benedict could be construed to fulfill this part of the prophesy.

Does anyone know what the prophesy said about the last 4 Popes? What was the prophesy's description John Paul the Great? How about the short lived John Paul I. Even Paul VI and John XXIII? Surely we should be able to find some correlation to the prophesy.

Does anyone know where to find or what the Prophesy said about the others????
Malachy's "Prophecies" are a 16th Century fabrication. Contemporary biographies of St. Malachy never mention the prophecies. They were not mentioned until about 1595. Interestingly, the prophacies for Popes before 1595 are fairly straightforward, while those after 1595 are very cryptic.

For example, JPII's supposed prophecy is "Labors of the Sun" -- OK, WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

The final "prophecy" is for Peter of Rome. That "prophecy" did not show up until about 1820.

My verdict -- they are a late 16th Century fabrication with a 19th Century gloss added on.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Benedict XVI: 2005