Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 23, '10, 8:40 am
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic
Default regarding condom use

Firstly, I'ld like to ask whether the Holy Father ever stated that condoms do not in fact decrease the spread of AIDS and/or other sexually transmitted diseases.
Secondly, is there any data that supports this position?
Mykhailo
Old Nov 23, '10, 10:50 am
Forum Master

Default Re: regarding condom use

Try this for a start:

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/ne...oms_in_africa/
“Above all, the common outcry, which is justly made on behalf of human rights -- for example, the right to health, to home, to work, to family, to culture -- is false and illusory if the right to life, the most basic and fundamental right and the condition for all other personal rights, is not defended with maximum determination.” Saint John Paul II

"It is not “progressive” to try to resolve problems by eliminating a human life." Pope Francis
Old Nov 23, '10, 1:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykhailo View Post
Firstly, I'ld like to ask whether the Holy Father ever stated that condoms do not in fact decrease the spread of AIDS and/or other sexually transmitted diseases.
Mykhailo
Pope says condoms are not the solution to Aids - they make it worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Times
He said the "traditional teaching of the Church" on chastity outside marriage and fidelity within it had proved to be "the only sure way of preventing the spread of HIV and Aids".
Harvard Aids expert says Pope 'correct' on condoms and spread of HIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Times
The head of a Harvard-based AIDs prevention centre says the Pope is “correct” to claim that condom distribution risks aggravating the transmission of HIV.
Edward C. Green, director of the AIDS Prevention Center at the Harvard Center for Population and Development Studies said this week: “The best evidence we have supports the Pope’s comments."

Old Nov 26, '10, 1:01 am
Observing Member

As someone who is a fervant Catholic and well versed in the Church's teaching on contraceptive use, (NFP teacher), I was taken aback by the Pope's supposed comments re:condom use for gay prostitutes... the lesser of 2 evils? Does anyone think that gay prostitutes have any concern for the Church's teaching on this subject? What about the Faithful? If someone has aids and is in a marriage and their act of lovemaking is not open to life(by 100%use of condoms) is that pleasing to God? And would the one infected really want to risk giving aids to their beloved? What about transmitting aids through kissing? Is there a condom for that? What behavior got them aids in the first place? I don't think condoms are the answer. Self control and marital chastity are what is called for. I hope the Pope's comments have a further explanation; I am stumped!
Old Nov 26, '10, 5:29 am

Religion: Catholic. Never doubted. Jesus, I Trust in You!

Due to our Sins (what is evil is being called "good" on a grand scale), there's a Purification going on. There is and will be more "confusion." The Bride of Christ, the Church is following Christ-and going through Her Own Passion.

You may not understand this, I know. Pray to God the Holy Spirit for Wisdom-and enlightenment.

Pray the Rosary, especially-every day. Get under Mary's Mantle-your Mother will take care of you.

Mark Mallett, a Catholic, has a Spiritual Director (Catholic Priest) who reviews his Blog Posts before he makes them Public-to make sure there is nothing in contrast to Church Teaching. He is what's called a "Mystic," one who has mystical experiences. He backs everything up with Scripture, Church Documents, Saints' Words, etc.

His Latest Blog Post:
Click Here:The Pope, a Condom, and the Purification of the Church

More is coming.

After (above), you can scroll down this page and read more:

http://www.markmallett.com/blog/

Be the most holy, obedient, humble, and practicing Catholic you can be.

God Bless you.
+Jesus, I Trust In You!
Love, Dawn
"Say the Rosary every day...Pray, pray a lot and offer sacrifices for sinners...I'm Our Lady of the Rosary. Only I will be able to help you. ...In the end My Immaculate Heart will triumph." -Our Lady at Fatima

The Blue Army
Rosary Confraternity
Old Nov 26, '10, 6:54 am
Banned

Send a message via MSN to John21652

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykhailo View Post
Mykhailo
From this web site, which has advice and statistics pertaining to abortion, we learn that in relation to unintended pregnancies, "60 per cent of women were using at least one form of contraception, and one in five of those were using more than one method and that 43 per cent of women who were using contraception were on the pill and 22 per cent were using condoms." So, the obvious conclusion is that condoms fail.

This web site, which gives information about AIDS, states that "Studies show condoms are 80% to 97% effective in preventing HIV transmission if they are used correctly every time..." So even the AIDS experts say condoms can fail to protect against AIDS up to 20% of the time!!

Planned Parenhood says that "each year, 2 out of 100 women whose partners use condoms will become pregnant if they always use condoms correctly, and that each year, 15 out of 100 women whose partners use condoms will become pregnant if they don't always use condoms correctly."

When you consider the fatal nature of HIV/AIDS, these figures are scary.

This web site says "It is estimated that between 6 and 9 billion condoms are distributed around the world every year." So, if only 2% of them fail, there is a massive risk for the spread of sexually transmitted diseases, HIV included.

Even UNAIDSsays "apart from abstinence, no protective method is 100% effective, and condom
use cannot guarantee absolute protection against any STI"

Now swing across to Human Life International, which is a pro-life Catholic Missionary organisation. There you can read some fascinating information about condom usage and HIV/AIDS. If you read through their comprehensive figures, you would certainly not make your health/life reliant on condoms.

It tells us about Uganda.
Quote:
In 1986, President Yoweri Museveni took office and immediately started an intensive campaign to change the widespread incidence of risky sexual behavior in Uganda.

In 1991, Uganda had one of the highest adult HIV infection rates in the world. Fifteen percent of all adults in the country were infected. Ten years later, Uganda had cut its HIV infection rate by two-thirds, to only five percent. It was the only nation in Africa that cut its HIV infection rate during this time period, and its decline in HIV prevalence was the greatest of any country in the world.

The key to this tremendous decline was an approach that other nations declined to embrace: The ABC Program, or Abstain from sex until marriage, Be faithful to your partner, and use Condoms if you do not practice abstinence or fidelity. The entire focus of the message was not simply to "condomize" the population, but to reduce risky sexual behavior.

The consistent broadcasting of the ABC message through all governmental, educational, religious and communications networks, in time, built up what researchers called a "highly effective social vaccine against HIV," or a massive behavioral change among the people of the nation. The 2000-2001 Ugandan Demographic and Health Survey found that 93 percent of Ugandans had changed their sexual behavior to avoid HIV/AIDS....

In stark contrast to Uganda, the countries with the highest rate of condom availability still have the world's highest AIDS rates -- Zimbabwe, Botswana, South Africa and Kenya.

In contrast to the Ugandan experience, we get these figures -

Quote:
# In Botswana, HIV prevalence among pregnant urban women rose from 27 percent to a staggering 45 percent from 1993 to 2001 as condoms sales tripled. In Cameroon, adult HIV prevalence rose from 3 percent to 9 percent as condom sales rose from six million to 15 million during the same period [15].
# Cambodia instituted a "100% Condom Program" early on in its fight against AIDS. Condom use rocketed from 99,000 in 1994 to 16 million in 2001. Reported HIV infections more than kept pace, soaring from 14 in 1994 to more than 16,000 in 2001 [16].
# When United States Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders was Arkansas Health Director from 1987 to 1992, she pushed condoms by every means possible, including in 24 high schools. The results were predictable. The teen pregnancy rate in Arkansas rose 17 percent between 1989 to 1992, the syphilis rate among teenagers rose 130 percent, and the HIV rate rose 150 percent
In March 2009 the Pope, in reference to HIV/AIDS, said "You can't resolve it with the distribution of condoms," the pope told reporters aboard the Alitalia plane headed to Yaounde. "On the contrary, it increases the problem."

Very recently he said the use of a condom to prevent HIV infection can be a first step towards assuming moral responsibility and adopting a more human way of living sexuality, but he goes on to say that while condoms may reduce the risk of infection, the Church does not regard them as a real or moral solution.

On the available figures, he right!
Old Nov 26, '10, 7:50 am

Religion: Catholic. Never doubted. Jesus, I Trust in You!

An excerpt from the above-referenced Mark Mallett Blog Post:

...THE POPE AND THE CONDOM STORM

What does all this have to do with the Pope and his spontaneous remarks about the use of condoms?

First, Pope Benedict said nothing antithetical to Church teaching in the casual interview printed in a new book, Light of the World. He made a technical point that a male prostitute using a condom, so as to prevent infection, is making "a first step in the direction of a moralization." Think of an evil executioner choosing to use the guillotine instead of lethal torture to reduce the pain of his victim. The execution is still immoral, but represents "a first step in the direction of a moralization." Benedict’s remarks are not an approval of the use of contraception but a commentary on the progression of morality in a dulled conscience....

God Bless you.
+Jesus, I Trust In You!
Love, Dawn
"Say the Rosary every day...Pray, pray a lot and offer sacrifices for sinners...I'm Our Lady of the Rosary. Only I will be able to help you. ...In the end My Immaculate Heart will triumph." -Our Lady at Fatima

The Blue Army
Rosary Confraternity
Old Nov 26, '10, 3:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by naproedri View Post
As someone who is a fervant Catholic and well versed in the Church's teaching on contraceptive use, (NFP teacher), I was taken aback by the Pope's supposed comments re:condom use for gay prostitutes... the lesser of 2 evils? Does anyone think that gay prostitutes have any concern for the Church's teaching on this subject? What about the Faithful? If someone has aids and is in a marriage and their act of lovemaking is not open to life(by 100%use of condoms) is that pleasing to God? And would the one infected really want to risk giving aids to their beloved? What about transmitting aids through kissing? Is there a condom for that? What behavior got them aids in the first place? I don't think condoms are the answer. Self control and marital chastity are what is called for. I hope the Pope's comments have a further explanation; I am stumped!
Father Barron offers his commentary on the recent media coverage surrounding Pope Benedict XVI's comments on condoms in his interview with Peter Seewald.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINK
Benedict remarked that a male prostitute’s willingness to use a condom would signal a first step, on his part, toward a more mature and responsible moral attitude. Did this imply that the Pope was giving the green light to condom use? Absolutely not. Dr. Janet Smith, a respected Catholic moral theologian, provided an apt comparison. A bank robber would indeed be demonstrating a heightened moral consciousness should he resolve to pull off his next robbery using a gun with no bullets. But applauding such a move, she argues, would hardly be tantamount to “permitting” or “condoning” armed robbery.
Old Nov 26, '10, 8:13 pm
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter

So as I see the Popes comments, sex outside of marriage is wrong and intrinsically evil. Which is church teaching. I do not believe that any Dogma or teaching in the recent press has been changed by any statements regardless of some peoples claims that he is now saying it is ok for some people to use them to prevent HIV?

I also believe most Catholics believe that if an HIV positive rapist, homosexual or prostitute decides to wear a condom in order to protect the person that they are already violating or servicing that somewhere deep in their being they are at least acknowledging that the persons life they are morally violating, or corrupting, does have worth that needs to be valued? That is what I believe the Pope meant in his recent writing and through statements from the Vatican.

On the other hand some are trying to say that the Pope believes this TINY acknowledgment that a partners life by the condom wearing HIV partner is good, or that a condom would allow them enough grace to counter balance the inherent selfish and evil nature of their selfish sex act when the act, with or without a condom, is putting a partners physical life, as well as eternal life at risk, and they are flat out wrong and way off the mark.

IMHO an HIV homosexual person that is acting out his or her lifestyle, or prostitutes, are already leading a selfish lifestyle as they have accepted the twisted expression of creation or sold the expression God holds for a married Man and Wife. If these people claim to be Catholic then they fully understand that through their actions they are putting a supposed "Loved" one or customer's soul at risk by and through their actions. Wearing a condom or not only effects this mortal life as they may have already participated in the damnation of their "Loved" ones, or customers eternal soul. The HIV positive rapist is at least protecting a life, and although what he is doing is intrinsically evil his actions are not putting the eternal soul of his victim at risk. He is only putting his own soul at risk through his evil actions.

I would think that a married couple is no different and in some respects I actually think an HIV spouse wearing a condom is worse then a rapist wearing a condom. If an HIV man or woman puts their own pleasure above the life of their spouse and well being of their children are they showing love (Agape)? NO! they are showing selfish desire. Their spouse is showing love (Agape) by risking themselves for the simple pleasure that they would feel to satisfy their spouse. They may be guilty of risking their children's well being over that of their spouse and for that that they will then have to answer to God.

If a non infected spouse actually willingly participate in a sex act with a condom on and they have children how is that not selfish? One might argue that they are, or need to express with their spouse the unitive portion of sex by wearing a condom, and yet they put at risk the union? This act might leave children without parents? When balanced against the fact that it does not create life, but can potentially only end life and possibly make life worse on innocent children it is simply morally wrong. It is selfish and therefore IMHO evil. How can you defend an act that only puts innocent people at risk? What is the gain but selfish pleasure? The ONLY good that could come from an HIV positive union is the potential CHANCE of a new life not corrupted with the virus, but wearing a condom prevents that. If they are wearing a condom they obviously have no intent on participation in the creation of life? So it truly is ONLY for the pleasure of the HIV positive spouse or even both, but pleasure and maybe a temporary increase in the unitive portion of the marriage, but again it threatens to end the marriage through death and leave any children without parents. SELFISH!!. How selfish that a spouse would put their mate and children at such risk..... PATHETIC, SELFISH, and in my opinion evil they are. I believe that abstinence in the case of a married couple is showing TRUE love (agape) for that life and benefit of the spouse and children.

Some ignore the intrinsically selfish nature of a CONDOM when worn by a couple at ALL times. When one is HIV positive it only makes a condom more an expression of SELFISH love then before. When a condom is worn by two healthy people they are both being selfish by denying life. When worn when one is HIV positive it twists the marriage act into a bestial act of pure self pleasure and lust. I wonder if these people that advocate the use of CONDOMS for HIV couples have an agenda? Do you think they may be trying to make some greater good linkage that will ultimately lead to them saying that all condom usage in marriage is good and that then when the CONDOMS fail that abortion too is OK, especially if the unborn is tested and is HIV postivte, poor little baby should not have to be born with AIDS, tis better to kill it? I wonder where is Satan in these arguments? Which side of the fence do you think he is on? Which side does he profit more throwing his weight behind? Where does Planed Parenthood stand on this?

Since using a CONDOM for an HIV Couple is Morally Evil due to the selfish nature and threat to spouse and any children the person that is HIV positive should pleasure themselves that way they alone must atone for their selfish behavior without dragging their supposed loved ones down.

Gods World
Jeff
Always Remember 1st Peter 3:15

http://www.iraqichristianrelief.org/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxbFEHMQO7E
(Killing Catholics Graphic Images Of Haters)
Old Nov 26, '10, 8:18 pm
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John21652 View Post
.......Now swing across to Human Life International, which is a pro-life Catholic Missionary organisation. There you can read some fascinating information about condom usage and HIV/AIDS. If you read through their comprehensive figures, you would certainly not make your health/life reliant on condoms.

It tells us about Uganda.......
John, here is a report from a NON-Christain organizaton that backs up your report from HLI on Uganda......
http://www.usaid.gov/our_work/global...nda_report.pdf

Gods World
Jeff
Always Remember 1st Peter 3:15

http://www.iraqichristianrelief.org/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxbFEHMQO7E
(Killing Catholics Graphic Images Of Haters)

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence