Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Nov 28, '10, 8:26 pm
Banned

Religion: catholic
Default effect that Jesus of Nazareth The Movie Had On Me

Whenever I think of Jesus I think of Robert Powell, the actor who played Jesus in the movie "Jesus of Nazareth." He is portrayed with blonde hair and blue eyes and a thin frame. I don't know if this is accurate, but its the image that comes to mind. I truly enjoy this movie, and the depiction of St. Peter. Does anyone else think of this movie when they think of Jesus and the bible? Is this a bad thing that I have one particular image in my head of Jesus?
Old Nov 29, '10, 7:07 am

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to dconklin
Default Re: effect that Jesus of Nazareth The Movie Had On Me

Yes, this movie definitely comes to mind when I read the Bible or stories about Jesus. Interesting fact: Robert Powell trained himself not to blink to give Jesus a mightier presence.

Look here to see what Jesus probably looked like: The Real Face of Jesus

When someone asks you to think about 'what Jesus would do', remember he thought it was fitting to get fired up and turn tables over.
Old Nov 29, '10, 7:43 am

Religion: Catholicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by dconklin View Post
Yes, this movie definitely comes to mind when I read the Bible or stories about Jesus. Interesting fact: Robert Powell trained himself not to blink to give Jesus a mightier presence.

The article attached--aside from the first CG image and basic message: that Jesus' face reflected his Semitic background--isn't even fit to be printed out and used as toilet paper.

It states without evidence that the Shroud of Turin is a fake, and can't even get its own captions straight (in a gallery of the 'Changing Face of Jesus', it takes a 20th century painting of an African Jesus and labels it as 11th century). Sloppy, sloppy work.
Old Nov 29, '10, 10:54 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (proud of it!)

Back on subject here. I did want to add to this. I was thinking that it would be really cool if somehow Jesus of Nazareth and the Passion could be combined. How? I don't know. But just think of a combination of those two movies. Pretty cool, eh?

Anyway, there are a few scenes from Jesus of Nazareth that have stuck with me. One is when Jesus is walking back to Pilate after the whipping. He's sillouheted (sp.) by the door behind Him and He has a red robe on. Pretty neat. I also love Robert Powell's eyes. They're so blue and piercing. He has a great face to play Jesus- thin cheeks and piercing eyes. Nice hair too

The second scene is right after the Crucifixion when it's raining and Peter is underneath some underpass in Jerusalem somewhere. He's weeping and sits on some steps then shouts (quite loudly) "MY LORD! MY GOD! PLEASE HELP ME!!" Drawn out, of course, but it's very... eloquent I suppose. I like the way it was said. Unfortunately I can't find that scene on the Internet anywhere, which really stinks because it's my favorite of the entire movie

Well, that's my 2 cents.

http://www.fightfoca.com/

+JMJ+

GLORIA PATRI, et Filio, et Spiritui Sancto. Sicut erat in principio, et nunc, et semper, et in saecula saeculorum. Amen.
Old Nov 29, '10, 11:47 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dconklin View Post

I disagree with the whole article The Shroud of
Turin, I believe is more of what Jesus looked like.

I did very much like the movie of Jesus of Nazareth & the actor too, but the Passion of the Christ with Jim Caviezel as Christ looked more of what I would think Jesus might have looked like, IMHO!

True Marian devotion never obscures or diminishes faith and love for Jesus Christ Our Savior, the one Mediator between God and humankind.
Pope Benedict XVI
Old Nov 30, '10, 3:14 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by notredame_999 View Post
Whenever I think of Jesus I think of Robert Powell, the actor who played Jesus in the movie "Jesus of Nazareth." He is portrayed with blonde hair and blue eyes and a thin frame. I don't know if this is accurate, but its the image that comes to mind. I truly enjoy this movie, and the depiction of St. Peter.
First of all, nah, Robert Powell ain't really blond in the film (though the kid playing the child Jesus appears to be), but he does have the blue eyes, which never blinks when it is staring (as someone else already mentioned).

BTW, I think the award for the most blonde Jesus that has ever graced the screen belongs to Robert Elfstrom in Johnny Cash's The Gospel Road (1973).

Quote:
Does anyone else think of this movie when they think of Jesus and the bible?
I'll admit that having seen quite a lot of Jesus films in my lifetime, I could no longer think of a specific Jesus film when imaging the events of the Bible. And to be honest, after doing a bit of research on the period, I've been recently trying to steer clear of the frail, pretty-boy, freshly-bathed Anglo-Saxon Jesus of many folk religious art and some Jesus films.

But if I could describe it, my personal image would probably be a sort of cross between Bruce Marchiano (The Gospel of Matthew), Colin Powell's gruff, bellicose Jesus (from Dennis Potter's Son of Man), Joseph Mawle's portrayal (from BBC's The Passion), the ragged, quite haggardish Jesus of some of Russian painter Nikolai Ge's artworks, and a certain artist's depiction of a Jewish Jesus, with a dash of Jim Caviezel and the Christ of Byzantine and early medieval iconography.

Quote:
Is this a bad thing that I have one particular image in my head of Jesus?
One word: no. And you're not the only one: Jesus of Nazareth is actually quite popular and well-known (though there was some controversy during its first airing), that for many, Robert Powell is the default face of Jesus. Kinda like how there are people who imagine Charlton Heston in his red-and-brown clothes and big white beard when the subject is Moses.

Last edited by patrick457; Nov 30, '10 at 3:29 am.
Old Nov 30, '10, 3:21 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Like View Post
I disagree with the whole article The Shroud of
Turin, I believe is more of what Jesus looked like.

I did very much like the movie of Jesus of Nazareth & the actor too, but the Passion of the Christ with Jim Caviezel as Christ looked more of what I would think Jesus might have looked like, IMHO!
The History Channel (surprisingly) actually went out-of-character for a while earlier this year and made a pretty good documentary on reconstructing how the face of the Man of the Shroud looked like. The result?

Old Nov 30, '10, 9:53 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick457 View Post
The History Channel (surprisingly) actually went out-of-character for a while earlier this year and made a pretty good documentary on reconstructing how the face of the Man of the Shroud looked like. The result?

Patrick, Thanks for all the links. Yes, the surprisingly the History channels did do a pretty good documentary on reconstructing how the face of the Man of the Shroud looked like. I usually don't watch any of the History channel's religious programs as to their bias against the Catholic Church. But this one I did watch & is why I believe to be the what Jesus looked like.
Thanks again!

True Marian devotion never obscures or diminishes faith and love for Jesus Christ Our Savior, the one Mediator between God and humankind.
Pope Benedict XVI
Old Nov 30, '10, 10:18 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notredame_999 View Post
Whenever I think of Jesus I think of Robert Powell, the actor who played Jesus in the movie "Jesus of Nazareth." He is portrayed with blonde hair and blue eyes and a thin frame. I don't know if this is accurate, but its the image that comes to mind. I truly enjoy this movie, and the depiction of St. Peter. Does anyone else think of this movie when they think of Jesus and the bible? Is this a bad thing that I have one particular image in my head of Jesus?
I don't really like how Jesus is portrayed in that movie. I find he is portrayed as spaced out and strange. I think the real Jesus was more of a warm friendly person that people could relate to.
Old Dec 1, '10, 4:21 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil_Anthony View Post
I don't really like how Jesus is portrayed in that movie. I find he is portrayed as spaced out and strange. I think the real Jesus was more of a warm friendly person that people could relate to.
I think the main problem here is that Zeffirelli under orders from executive producer Sir Lew Grade made the film as such that it does not offend anyone. And we know how the whole subject of portraying the Son of God on film is a very touchy subject for a lot of people, ever since the cinema was invented. Zeffirelli probably just took the safe route and tried to avoid any conflict that delving too deep in Jesus' character or portraying Him as credibly human would have caused (TOO human, some might complain) by repeating the then-well established formula of the divine Christ who is too far removed from His surroundings, so exalted that He isn't even allowed to have credible emotions.
Old Apr 25, '13, 10:20 pm
Observing Member

I feel the same way about that movie. I think Powell was the very best Jesus. It wasn't just his acting and looks it was the entire movie, scenes, music, etc. It is a true classic. Whenever I want to reference a story about Jesus I go to that movie. I don't think that Jesus would be offended by this. I think he would be glad that you are thinking about him.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism