Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Apr 23, '05, 5:14 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Chicken Pox Vaccine?

I have recently heard that the chicken pox vaccine was derived from aborted fetal tissue -- I trust the person telling me, but can't seem to find much solid reference material and the church's stand on vaccination against such a "killer" (aren't they all these days?) disease...thanks!
Old Apr 23, '05, 5:49 pm

Default Re: Chicken Pox Vaccine?

Looks like it's true.
Old Apr 24, '05, 9:29 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic Convert 2008

I did not know that!
Old Apr 24, '05, 10:22 am

Religion: Latin Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaner
I have recently heard that the chicken pox vaccine was derived from aborted fetal tissue -- I trust the person telling me, but can't seem to find much solid reference material and the church's stand on vaccination against such a "killer" (aren't they all these days?) disease...thanks!
When my generation were children, our parents would send us to play with any child in the village who had chicken pox so that we could contract the virus ourselves.
Old Apr 24, '05, 11:04 am

For a really thorough examination of this issue visit www.cogforlife.org which stands for Children of God for Life. They have a tremendous amount of documentation to explain the situation and even offer a few alternatives.
Momsix
Old Apr 24, '05, 11:33 am

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilyofthevalley

Many vaccines are made in such a manner. I would still vaccinate my children as what is the alternative?
The chicken pox vaccine may prevent shingles so I had them vaccinated against chicken pox when they were 5.
Old Apr 24, '05, 12:03 pm
Book Club Member

We never had our children immunized for anything based only on the dangers of immunization 20+ years ago. I have never regretted it.
Old Apr 24, '05, 4:23 pm
Banned

Religion: traditional Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pious
When my generation were children, our parents would send us to play with any child in the village who had chicken pox so that we could contract the virus ourselves.
That's funny! I just heard about the chicken pox vaccine the other day and I think it's ridiculous. Children are supposed to get chicken pox!! I got shingles several years after I got chicken pox, but I healed from both of them. A friend's baby was given the chicken pox vaccine and he was so young that he got really sick. Why are doctors doing this to our children?!?
Old Apr 24, '05, 4:44 pm

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilyofthevalley

That's funny! I just heard about the chicken pox vaccine the other day and I think it's ridiculous. Children are supposed to get chicken pox!!
==========
Children with comprimised immune systems should not because it can be fatal in them. Also, not everyone who gets shingles recovers quickly from it and sometimes there are long term effects from it.
Old Apr 24, '05, 6:41 pm
Resigned

Religion: catholic

Here's the clincher, many school districts are now requiring that children have the chicken pox vaccine or will be soon. So what is a parent supposed to do?
Old Apr 24, '05, 6:56 pm
Banned

Religion: traditional Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AServantofGod
Here's the clincher, many school districts are now requiring that children have the chicken pox vaccine or will be soon. So what is a parent supposed to do?
homeschool
Old Apr 24, '05, 7:29 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: roman catholic, hasta mi muerte

shingles is baaaaad! some of the most intense pain i have felt in my life. the doctor said that if i ever get again, it might kill me
Old Apr 25, '05, 4:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AServantofGod

You can apply for religious exemption -- every state but WVa and one other (can't remember) offers religious exemptions and don't let any school person tell you differently; it's your constitutional right. There is a form, and most school officials don't even know about it (which is really sad, considering they're supposed to be teaching our kids the constitution, right?! -- another argument for hs'ing!!) and if they do, many wont tell you about it. And why do they do this? Because it's a MONEY MAKER PEOPLE!! Same with 1/2 the vaccines being developed now -- like the Prevnar shot for a low-risk baby...3 shots, $300 later my kid is protected should she come up against pneumococcal disease in my home...lol. It was imperitive that she receive all three, until they ran out, then the song changed...and two was "plenty" -- whatever!! Sorry to rant; I believe there is a need for some of it, but that much of it is just pure greed and FDA/big pharmacuetical bed-hopping...but I'm a bit of a skeptic...
Old Apr 25, '05, 5:45 am
Book Club Member

Send a message via Skype™ to MaryB23

I'm struggling with this issue as well. My younger son is supposed to get his CP vaccine in a couple of weeks. I'm thinking I'm going to skip it. He has all his other shots already (as does my 2 year old). He got them before I knew any of this. My dilemma is if we have any more children. I don't want to have them vax'ed with vaccines from aborted babies! It breaks my heart and makes me sick to think that I already did it to my first 2 kids. Plus, I had to get a MMR booster after my younger son was born. Ugh!

I plan to talk to a priest friend about this (and many other issues ) later this week. Why does the world have to be so ugly?
Old Apr 25, '05, 6:43 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic - Latin Rite

Does anyone know what the Church's position is on vaccines made from aborted fetuses.

We know that the Church is against embryonic stem cell research and this should fall into this category.

This may be a good one for Ask an Apologist.

PF
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life