Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 12, '10, 10:26 am

Religion: Catholic. Gender: Female
Default Are the Nephilim Aliens?

I was watching a program on GOD TV the other day, and there was a program on the End Times and this man called Chuck Missler was on, he is an Evangelical, and he believes that the Nephilim mentioned in the Bible are aliens or fallen angels of some kind who intermixed with women and have created hybrids.

He also talked about some kind of giants?

I know for some conspiracy theorists, they use the Nephilim verses in the Bible as one of the proofs or evidences for the ''Reptilian'' conspiracy theory.

I beleive this is what Chuck Missler believes, the products of fallen angels who left their abode and came and bred with the daughters of men.

Is there any truth in the Nephilim meaning aliens? Or fallen angels intermixing with women to create hybrids?

Last edited by Abyssinia; Dec 12, '10 at 10:45 am.
Old Dec 12, '10, 11:47 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Are the Nephilim Aliens?

I'll ask next time I see one. I believe in some conspiracy theories but this one I don't although it does seem to be gathering momentum. When they start using buzzwords such as Merovingian Blood Line/George Bush/Race of Lizards/. The face changes from to .
Old Dec 12, '10, 8:30 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyssinia View Post
Are the Nephilim Aliens?
Maybe (though I doubt it). The Catholic Church does not teach anything definitively on who they were.
Old Dec 13, '10, 1:34 am

I watch "Ancient Aliens" and I heard the same argument, about how angels are actually misidentified aliens, and that they bred with humans to produce giants like Goliath. The Bible verse they're talking about is:

Quote:
"And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them, That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose. ...There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown," Genesis 6:1-2,4
It makes it sound like these "sons of God" could be something other than human men, but Adam was called the a son of God (Luke 3:38), Paul called us "sons of God" (Romans 8:14), and John identified as a son of God (1 John 3:2) .

I think that, like every interpretation of the Bible, translation has a lot to do with it. Nephilim was rendered as "fallen", but could also have been "feller" which meant tyrant or bully. Also, Nephilim was written as "gegantes" in Greek, which looks an aweful lot like giants, but would have been "Titan" in translation. (resource). I have do do some more looking into it, but when I hear talk of giants I always think of really big intimidating people (like the Vikings), and that would have fit with the bully/tyrant translation.

I like the show (and the topic) just because it makes me study my bible more, but I can't say I actually think Angels are the kind of aliens that fly around in UFO's (though, I s'pose they could be considered alien, since they aren't of this world?).

This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections.
Saint Augustine of Hippo
Old Dec 13, '10, 4:02 pm
Banned

Religion: No Elephant In The Living Room Catholic

St. John Cassian (ca. 360 – 435) addresses this here:

http://www.osb.org/lectio/cassian/co...onf8.html#8.20
Old Dec 14, '10, 8:08 am

Religion: Catholic of course!
Exclamation Re: Are the Nephilim Aliens?

Okay, several posts have been deleted and I would like to take this opportunity to refresh your minds as to how to deal with anything that violates the the rules and guidelines found in this link.

Notice please, that dragging the thread off topic with personal comments is not listed there.

Charity in all things guys...
Very sincerely,

Forum Rules and guidelines

Ecclesiastes 1:10 Nothing under the sun is new, neither is any man able to say:
Behold this is new: for it hath already gone before in the ages that were before us.

Old Dec 14, '10, 8:41 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Here is a link from EWTN that may be helpful.

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. Whoever is without love does not know God, for God is love. 1 John 4:7-8
Old Jan 13, '11, 10:12 am
Trial Membership

Religion: catholic

I agree that it is a misinterpretation of the word" Nephilim" . In Hebrew it has two spellings . You need to look at the root of the word ,which means " fallen ones " or "fallible ones ". In hebrew the phrase "those who fall upon" has nothing to do with falling from heaven or the sky. It is an expression for going to war or fighting in battle . So the Nephilim where warriors .Although they were probably larger in stature than the jews , the Nephilims were not giants ,demons ,angels or aliens .
Old Jan 13, '11, 8:30 pm
Trial Membership

Genesis 6 indicates that the "sons of God" (B'nai Elohim) took wives of the "daughters of men," which gave birth to the "Nephilim." What on earth was going on?

The B'nai Elohim is a term that refers to angels. It occurs four times in the Old Testament 2 and is rendered "Angels of God" in the ancient Septuagin translation.3 The intrusion of certain angels into the human family resulted in unnatural offspring termed Nephilim, which derives from the Hebrew naphal (to fall), or the Fallen Ones. (The Greek Septuagint renders this term gigantes, which actually means "earth-born." This is often misunderstood to mean "giants"--which they also happen to have been, incidentally.)

botox training
botox school
learn botox
Old Jan 14, '11, 12:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeinhorrics View Post
Genesis 6 indicates that the "sons of God" (B'nai Elohim) took wives of the "daughters of men," which gave birth to the "Nephilim." What on earth was going on?

The B'nai Elohim is a term that refers to angels. It occurs four times in the Old Testament 2 and is rendered "Angels of God" in the ancient Septuagin translation.3 The intrusion of certain angels into the human family resulted in unnatural offspring termed Nephilim, which derives from the Hebrew naphal (to fall), or the Fallen Ones. (The Greek Septuagint renders this term gigantes, which actually means "earth-born." This is often misunderstood to mean "giants"--which they also happen to have been, incidentally.)

botox training
botox school
learn botox
All that (except for the cosmetic medical training links) is what the television shows are saying. I guess it depends on what language, dialect, context, etc.. everything was actually written in.

This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections.
Saint Augustine of Hippo
Old Jan 15, '11, 12:34 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam070406 View Post
St. John Cassian (ca. 360 – 435) addresses this here:

http://www.osb.org/lectio/cassian/co...onf8.html#8.20
I couldn't find it. Where, exactly, does he refer to Nephilim? thanks.
Old Jan 15, '11, 1:15 am

Genesis
6:1 When men began to multiply on the face of the ground, and daughters were born to them, 6:2 the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were fair; and they took to wife such of them as they chose. 6:3 Then the LORD said, "My spirit shall not abide in man for ever, for he is flesh, but his days shall be a hundred and twenty years." 6:4 The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men that were of old, the men of renown.

St. Augustine, Chrysostom, and Cyril of Alexandria thought the “sons of God” might be the righteous descendants (men) of Seth who took descendants (women) of Cain as wives. So, “sons of God” associates the men with the goodness of God whereas “daughters of men” would be intended as a contrast to this.

This is was customary of the ancient Semitic expressions/language at that time. Knowing the background of Cain as a killer and the bad blood of his descendants, they could have been regarded in a negative light, which unions led to a situation in which humanity was corrupted and unacceptable to God. The word “Nephalim” literally means “fallen ones” which would be consistent with an interpretation that views this group as a corrupt mixture of good and bad blood.

There's a number of websites that try to prove that they're aliens due to these passages.... and there's also commentators that interpret the scripture as the fallen angels having sexual unions with women.
Old Jan 17, '11, 9:57 am
Trial Membership

Religion: catholic

Again, it's all in th interpretation and which bible your reading from. Be it the King James, Hebrew, or Catholic version's . Different bibles , different laungages,different times you are going to get different interpretation's. For example the verse " you shall not suffer a witch to live ", at the time it was written a " witch" was someone that poisened people . Today the word "witch" brings into mind all kinds of images .
I think each person has to read and reread the passages, ask God to help you to properly understand it and go with what you know in your heart to be true.
Old Jan 18, '11, 8:44 pm
Prayer Warrior

I read that some early Church Fathers agreed with the explanation that nHisLightnLove gave, and others thought the Nephilim came from demons and humans...

as for how this could possibly work, well there have been cases in the lives of the Saints where demons took on physical forms, maybe this would be similar ?

I've wondered the same thing...

"I know but one thing now - to love Thee, O Jesus!" St Therese
Old Jan 18, '11, 9:10 pm

I got into this subject with a friend of mine, and eventually found the statement below from the Summa. If Aquinas quoting Augustine is not authority enough, I doubt an answer can be found this side of heaven. As with Pelagianism and other supossedly modern heresies, this is an ancient discussion that is having another go around.

(Original text at http://www.newadvent.org/summa/1051.htm)

Reply to Objection 6. As Augustine says (De Civ. Dei xv): "Many persons affirm that they have had the experience, or have heard from such as have experienced it, that the Satyrs and Fauns, whom the common folk call incubi, have often presented themselves before women, and have sought and procured intercourse with them. Hence it is folly to deny it. But God's holy angels could not fall in such fashion before the deluge. Hence by the sons of God are to be understood the sons of Seth, who were good; while by the daughters of men the Scripture designates those who sprang from the race of Cain. Nor is it to be wondered at that giants should be born of them; for they were not all giants, albeit there were many more before than after the deluge." Still if some are occasionally begotten from demons, it is not from the seed of such demons, nor from their assumed bodies, but from the seed of men taken for the purpose; as when the demon assumes first the form of a woman, and afterwards of a man; just as they take the seed of other things for other generating purposes, as Augustine says (De Trin. ii.), so that the person born is not the child of a demon, but of a man.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics