Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 18, '10, 8:58 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278
Exclamation I need some serious help finding charities that can help my mom with bills, car repair, etc

Hello everyone. I am looking for some websites where I can find information on various charities - national, regional, or local - that might be able to help my mom with bills, car repair, and such. The most urgent thing that she needs help with is getting her vehicle repaired so she can continue to make it back and forth to work. She works full time as a security guard at a business in the area but she is also in debt. I have no idea how much debt she has but I do know that she told me money is very tight and she mainly just needs to get her vehicle repaired for now.

So, what I am primarily looking for at this time is a charity that may be able to help her with either the bills to get the vehicle repaired or a charity/other organization that can repair the vehicle for free or something. I am basically finding charities and organizations that help her to get the vehicle repaired either for free or low(er) cost than what she can currently afford.

The vehicle is repairable but the repair may cost a couple of hundred dollars. She needs to lower the cost some before she can get it done. If she does not get her vehicle repaired, she won't be able to make it back and forth to her full time job which will put her in a far worse situation.

Also, she could really use some sort of charitable help with food and home repair costs as well. Her home recently had a fire that caused quite a bit of damage but is still capable of being repaired. It is in the process of being repaired at this time.

I know it probably sounds like I am rambling but I am kind of at a loss as to what to look for. I told her I'd find some charitable organizations and such that she could contact to try and get the help she needs. Does anyone have any ideas on this?
Old Dec 18, '10, 10:32 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: I need some serious help finding charities that can help my mom with bills, car repair, etc

vocational high schools sometimes have an auto shop with classes which are run by a mechanic-instructor. They could probably handle something like that. Alternately, try to make an arrangement with a shop to pay off a repair over time, or try to make an arrangement based on exchange, eg. babysitting time for a repair.
Old Dec 19, '10, 3:52 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278
Default Re: I need some serious help finding charities that can help my mom with bills, car repair, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpfrog View Post
vocational high schools sometimes have an auto shop with classes which are run by a mechanic-instructor. They could probably handle something like that. Alternately, try to make an arrangement with a shop to pay off a repair over time, or try to make an arrangement based on exchange, eg. babysitting time for a repair.
Thanks for the advice. I did finally find some charities in my area by searching online that may be able to help her. It took me an hour or so but I finally realized I could search the Yellow Pages online and find them.
Old Jan 27, '11, 2:58 pm

Thumbs up Re: I need some serious help finding charities that can help my mom with bills, car repair, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpfrog View Post
I agree on this!
Old Feb 6, '11, 7:11 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

first go local
call your parish and see if St Vincent or similar agency helps with emergency utility bills, cutoffs, prescription costs etc. If not try Catholic Social Services in your diocese for referrals.
Old Feb 9, '11, 2:53 pm

Sometimes the parish's pastor has some discretionary funds to use to help someone in an emergency. You might be able to get a couple of hundred for car repairs that way and work it off by helping out in the parish office or pay it back over time like a loan. If you don't ask, then no one can know you need help.

In our area there is a regional food bank where lots of churches and nonprofits help together, but in some places individual churches and groups give out food. Also check out the Angel Food network to see if a local church participates. The food is not free, but it can save you a lot of money buying their monthly food box which includes frozen meat, veggies, etc at a good price. They tell you in advance what the box includes and it is always one price. You can buy more than one box also. You have to pay in advance with cash or food stamps, then pick it up at the local church on a certain day or they will give it to charity. Sometimes they stick Christian booklets in the box from a Protestant church but who cares. You don't have to be "poor" or on food stamps to participate because it is kind of like a bulk discount.

It is wonderful that you are being helpful doing research for your mother! A family is a team and everyone can help out even when they are young. My cousins used to help their parents clean buildings early before school when they were really little. It was an "extra job" for everyone because the parents both had regular jobs and the kids had school and sports. All the kids could do at first was empty the little trash cans or ash trays, but the whole family went together and saved most of the money for the college fund for the kids after they paid off their bills. When the kids all earned scholarships it meant they had saved enough to use for a condo down payment which was awesome for college! Now they all have their own houses even though they are still young adults because they got roommates to help pay for the condos while they were still in school. Their parents started out poor, but everyone pitched in and the family did better every year.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014