Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 21, '10, 11:39 am

Religion: Christian
Default Does the Mas in Christmas Mean Death?

A Messianic Jew brought it to my attention that not only was the Christmas holiday an abomination because of it's Pagan roots but simply saying "Merry Christmas" was also an abomination.

She justified this by explaining to me that the "mas" part at the end of the word Christmas means death. So by saying "Merry Christmas" you're actually saying "Merry Christ's Death".

She also told me since Catholics call their worship service Mass, they were essentially worshiping Jesus' death weekly.

Come on guys, lay the truth on me
Old Dec 21, '10, 11:42 am
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦
Default Re: Does the Mas in Christmas Mean Death?

The term "Mass" is derived from the Late Latin word missa (dismissal), a word used in the concluding formula of Mass in Latin: "Ite, missa est" ("Go; it is the dismissal").[1][2] "In antiquity, missa simply meant 'dismissal'. In Christian usage, however, it gradually took on a deeper meaning. The word 'dismissal' has come to imply a 'mission'. These few words succinctly express the missionary nature of the Church" (Pope Benedict XVI, Sacramentum caritatis, 51)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_(liturgy)
Old Dec 21, '10, 11:44 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic

The "mas" in "Christmas" simply means "Mass." It is the Christ-Mass, the Mass of the Solemnity of the Nativity of Christ. Other days throughout the year have similar titles (Michaelmas on September 29, Candelmas on February 2).

Mass does not mean death. It comes from the ending of the Mass in Latin, "Ite, Missa est." This means "Go, you are sent." "Missa" is the root word meaning "sending" that forms the basis for our word "transmission" and other such words. I would be wary of what a Messianic Jew would say about the Church--they tend to be virulently anti-Catholic.

-ACEGC

Lumen in Caelo
Old Dec 21, '10, 12:51 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward_george View Post
I would be wary of what a Messianic Jew would say about the Church--they tend to be virulently anti-Catholic.

-ACEGC
It might be interesting to see what she says if you ask her for her source.
Old Dec 21, '10, 12:57 pm
Banned

Religion: Cradle Catholic - Revert

I've come to realize that "Messianic Jew" can also be relabeled as "Protestant Jew".
Old Dec 21, '10, 1:11 pm

Religion: Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnes therese View Post
It might be interesting to see what she says if you ask her for her source.
I did but I couldn't make much sense of it.

They want to destroy Christmas....All there is to it.
Old Dec 21, '10, 1:14 pm
Observing Member

Religion: catholic

Don't we celebrate Christ's death (and resurrection) in every mass?
Old Dec 21, '10, 1:15 pm

With the mass, do we celebrate death, or sacrifice?

"There is no greater love than this, to give up one's life for a friend." Is this a statement of death, or love?

"He became obedient unto death."Is this extolling the virture of death, or obedience?

Christmas is a celebration of the Saviors birth, not death. Even so, the reason his birth is joyful is because He would die for all mankind...a sacrifice born out of love and obedience.

Yes, "Merry Christmas" is appropriate. It's the most joyful time of the year. Christ saves us all from our sins! This is a celebration of life!!! The greatest gift of all.

"Dying he destroyed our death, rising he restored our life." It's hard to understand for people who don't really think about it.

"but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles"

Last edited by Garyjohn2; Dec 21, '10 at 1:29 pm.
Old Dec 21, '10, 1:23 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

GaryJohn

We remember the passion and death of Christ at Mass and also his resurrection. And that is why we receive Holy Communion in joy.
Old Dec 21, '10, 1:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKCT View Post
GaryJohn

We remember the passion and death of Christ at Mass and also his resurrection. And that is why we receive Holy Communion in joy.
Yes, well, I guess that's what I was trying to say.
Old Dec 21, '10, 1:58 pm

Also, just because Christmas was placed on the calendar to discourage celebration of an existing pagan holiday (winter solstice, etc.) and furthermore borrowed some of its symbolism does NOT make Christmas a pagan holiday. Worship requires intent. If we decide that a Christmas tree stands for the light of Christ in the world and a wreath is green and round to symbolize God's eternal life, then it DOES. You can't be tricked into worshiping another god.

The idea is no different than the effort to Christianize Halloween customs.
Old Dec 21, '10, 2:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem View Post
Also, just because Christmas was placed on the calendar to discourage celebration of an existing pagan holiday (winter solstice, etc.) and furthermore borrowed some of its symbolism does NOT make Christmas a pagan holiday. Worship requires intent. If we decide that a Christmas tree stands for the light of Christ in the world and a wreath is green and round to symbolize God's eternal life, then it DOES. You can't be tricked into worshiping another god.

I've actually heard that Christmas did NOT replace a pagan holiday...that's a topic for another thread though.
Old Dec 27, '10, 8:30 am

Thumbs up Re: Does the Mas in Christmas Mean Death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyjohn2 View Post
Yes, well, I guess that's what I was trying to say.
...yep, it's what the early Christians preached and practiced: 1 Corinthians 11:26
Old Dec 27, '10, 1:23 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic of the Latin Rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyjohn2 View Post
I've actually heard that Christmas did NOT replace a pagan holiday...that's a topic for another thread though.
That's correct. As I understand, the pagans (contrary to popular belief) had not calculated the solstice times correctly, and as a result it moved forward a couple days each year. By the time the Church set Dec 25th as the Feast of the Nativity, the pagans were celebrating the solstice in, I believe, late October. It wasn't until later that actual astronomers determined the solstice date exactly as occuring a few days before Christmas that the pagans later MOVED their solstice celebration BACK to Dec 22nd.

It was STILL later in history when the Church, having ALREADY established Dec 25th as the feast of the Nativity (and December 6th as the Feast of St Nicholaus of Myra) even came in contact with the pagans of England, who by then were back to celebrating the solstice on Dec 22nd anyway. Prior to that, there was not contact between these two people.

In other words, speculating that Christmas took the place of a pagan holiday on the solstice is disingeniouos, unless one is willing to admit that Catholic bishops could magically be aware of pagan celebrations which were, at that point, occuring a thousand miles from the farthest northern reaches of Catholicism.
Old Dec 27, '10, 1:33 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem View Post

The reason is that Christ died on a March 25th, which the people believed was the anniversary of His conception (because they believed that the true prophets die on the anniversary of being conceived) so they started celebrating the Annunciation every March 25th, and then about 80 years later began to celebrate Christmas exactly nine months later than March 25th, which happens to be December 25th.

Neither date has anything whatsoever to do with the timing of any pagan holidays.

And by the way, Hallowe'en is a Christian holiday that the pagans very recently adopted (within my lifetime), and paganized. The original Druids never celebrated Hallowe'en.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 2001

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics