Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Dec 23, '10, 6:24 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Can extraordinary ministers of the Eucharist take the Blessed Sacrament out of the tabernacle before Communion?

Hi,
this is my first post, and I hope I am doing it correctly. My wonderful pastor has been so faithful to go to the tabernacle himself. Now, there is a man serves as an extraordinary minister of the Eucharist, and who is agitating to go the tabernacle and remove the Blessed Sacrament himself. He also returns the consecrated hosts to the tabernacle. I think it is highly irreverent, but my pastor (who has been searching the web on this subject and coming up with several sources that say this practice is just fine) is almost now convinced that this is okay.

HELP!

Thanks very much,
Kathie
Old Dec 23, '10, 6:46 pm

Religion: catholic
Default Re: Can extraordinary ministers of the Eucharist take the Blessed Sacrament out of the tabernacle before Communion?

I don't think the GIRM says anything about this since it does not envision hosts being removed from the tabernacle for communion.
Old Dec 23, '10, 7:35 pm

Default Re: Can extraordinary ministers of the Eucharist take the Blessed Sacrament out of the tabernacle before Communion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Hogan View Post
Hi,
this is my first post, and I hope I am doing it correctly. My wonderful pastor has been so faithful to go to the tabernacle himself. Now, there is a man serves as an extraordinary minister of the Eucharist, and who is agitating to go the tabernacle and remove the Blessed Sacrament himself. He also returns the consecrated hosts to the tabernacle. I think it is highly irreverent, but my pastor (who has been searching the web on this subject and coming up with several sources that say this practice is just fine) is almost now convinced that this is okay.

HELP!

Thanks very much,
Kathie
GIRM (US) States:

163. When the distribution of Communion is finished, the priest himself immediately and completely consumes at the altar any consecrated wine that happens to remain; as for any consecrated hosts that are left, he either consumes them at the altar or carries them to the place designated for the reservation of the Eucharist.

http://www.usccb.org/liturgy/current...4.shtml#sect1b

30. When Holy Communion is to be distributed under both species, careful planning should be undertaken so that:
  • enough bread and wine are made ready for the communication of the faithful at each Mass. (45) As a general rule, Holy Communion is given from hosts consecrated at the same Mass and not from those reserved in the tabernacle. Precious Blood may not be reserved at one Mass for use at another (46); ...
http://www.usccb.org/liturgy/current/norms.shtml

On Good Friday the hosts are consecrated the night before during the Holy Thursday mass, which is the only mass in which extras are allowed to be consecrated to be used the following day.

Old Dec 23, '10, 8:10 pm

No. Sorry no documents, but it simply should not be done. Not that there isn't documents backing me up, I just don't know where they are.
Old Dec 24, '10, 12:00 am
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦

Can only be done if the priest is impeded, like if you have an old priest. Some parishes would have steps going up to the tabernacle or its far off to the side. But a young and healthy priest shouldn't need such assistance.
Old Dec 24, '10, 12:27 am
Banned

Quote:
Hi,

HELP!

Thanks very much,
Kathie
Why? Particularly given the fact that under specific circumstances that this person is allowed to distribute communion?

There is no documented prohibition from the Church. But I would ask, what is your pastor doing when this man is accessing the tabernacle?
Old Dec 24, '10, 12:28 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMc View Post
No. Sorry no documents, but it simply should not be done. Not that there isn't documents backing me up, I just don't know where they are.
How come?
Old Dec 24, '10, 1:29 am
Banned

Re: Can extraordinary ministers of the Eucharist take the Blessed Sacrament out of the tabernacle before Communion?

Yes
Old Dec 24, '10, 1:39 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Hi,

HELP!

Thanks very much,
Kathie
I have seen this done at a Church where the Tabernacular is located in the Adoration Chapel which is quite a distance from the altar. I do not know if it is OK to do this or not.
Old Dec 24, '10, 3:36 am
Banned

Religion: Latin Catholic

I can't think of any documents off the top of my head however as I understand it EMHCs are not to take the sacred vessels directly off the altar but they must be given them by a sacred minister. Their role is to help distribute Communion if there's not enough sacred ministers available. At Mass I cannot see any need for an EMHC to take the Sacred Body out of the tabernacle when there's a priest present. Plus as they're not to take the sacred vessels directly off the altar I would wonder why they would be allowed to take the Sacrament out of the tabernacle.

Obviously, if an EMHC had been deputed to preside over a Communion Service outside Mass then obviously he/she would need to take the sacred species out of the tabernacle. However, at Mass there's no reason for a lay person to be doing it when there's at least one sacred minister there to do it.

May be on some occasions the priest may take some hosts out of the tabernacle because he didn't consecrate enough. That can happen from time to time but sounds like it's a regular occurrence in your parish. I can't even recall the last time our priest did that. I'm not trying to say we have the world's most wonderful priest, just that the need to resort to the reserved sacrament shouldn't be that common.
Old Dec 24, '10, 4:28 am

I forgot to say that I live in Canada. (so the US bishop's directions do no apply specifically).
Before Communions, my pastor is at the altar saying his private prayer before Communion when the extraordinary minister of the Eucharist goes to the tabernacle. After Communion, when the hosts are returned, my pastor is washing the chalice and tidying the altar.
It is interesting to note that my pastor is really struggling with this. He has been combing the internet for directions.
Also, he mentioned that there should not be any hosts reserved after Communion. Perhaps that is the best way to approach this?
Thanks for the advice. I still need concrete doctrine to get back to my pastor.
Old Dec 24, '10, 4:38 am

Traditionally (after the XIX Ecumenical council till the XXI Ecumenical Council) the Mass was considered as the affair of the priest in the name of Christ, and the essential parts of the Mass were the Offertory, the Consecration and the Communion of the priest. The communion of the faithful happend onl;y occasionally until the liturgical reform of the 20th century and it was a separate rite after the communion of the priest was completed.

The change started when St Pius X promoted the frequenbt communion of the faithful, and following the Lex Credendi => Lex orandi principle it resulted in changing the communion rite of the Mass, in 1967 the communion of faithful was incorporated into the communion of the priest as one unit.

If

- the tabernacle is not on the altar
- and lay Eucharistic extraordinary ministers are allowed

it is logical that the lay ministers bring the Eucharist to the altar from the tabernacle in process and also that they consume the remainder of the consecrated wine, and carry the Eucharist back to the tabernacle. The Church is not supposed to want inebriated priests in case of multiple celebration of masses, neither want to break the sequence of the Mass by the priest for an unregulated necessity.

The perfect resolution would be to bring back the tabernacle where is belongs: to the center, to the altar.

In my opinion you shall contact the Ecclesia Dei

Mailing Address: Palazzo della Congr. per la Dottrina della Fede, 00193 Roma, Piazza del S. Uffizio, 11

before confronting your pastor, or just ask him to make this contact.
Old Dec 24, '10, 6:20 am

[quote=Kathie Hogan;7395143]the internet for directions.
Also, he mentioned that there should not be any hosts reserved after Communion. /QUOTE]

Doesn't your parish reserve Hosts in the tabernacle to take to the sick and housebound, then?
Old Dec 24, '10, 8:37 am
Banned

Religion: Latin Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by laszlo View Post
In my opinion you shall contact the Ecclesia Dei
I believe that the Pontifical Commission Ecclesia Dei has responsibility for matters concerning the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite.

The matter could be addressed by sending a dubium to the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments -

Congregazione per il Culto Divino e la Disciplina dei Sacramenti
Palazzo delle Congregazioni
Piazza Pio XII 10
00120 Città del Vaticano

However, I'm sure this issue could be resolved locally, perhaps by contacting your diocese's liturgy office.
Old Dec 24, '10, 10:38 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Holford View Post
I can't think of any documents off the top of my head however as I understand it EMHCs are not to take the sacred vessels directly off the altar but they must be given them by a sacred minister. Their role is to help distribute Communion if there's not enough sacred ministers available. At Mass I cannot see any need for an EMHC to take the Sacred Body out of the tabernacle when there's a priest present. Plus as they're not to take the sacred vessels directly off the altar I would wonder why they would be allowed to take the Sacrament out of the tabernacle.
GIRM #160 – "The faithful are not permitted to take the consecrated bread or sacred chalice by themselves and, still less, to hand them from one to another."

As someone pointed out the tabernacle is often not located in the sanctuary and in such cases it makes a great deal of sense for someone other than the celebrant to access the tabernacle. Either way the question is whether an EMHC is prohibited from accessing the tabernacle (they are) and not whether you see a need for them to do so.

If an EMHC is allowed to take a ciborium and distribute Holy Communion, there can be no reason that they would not also be allowed to secure a ciborium containing the Blessed Sacrament in the tabernacle.

Quote:
Obviously, if an EMHC had been deputed to preside over a Communion Service outside Mass then obviously he/she would need to take the sacred species out of the tabernacle. However, at Mass there's no reason for a lay person to be doing it when there's at least one sacred minister there to do it.
See above.

Quote:
May be on some occasions the priest may take some hosts out of the tabernacle because he didn't consecrate enough. That can happen from time to time but sounds like it's a regular occurrence in your parish. I can't even recall the last time our priest did that. I'm not trying to say we have the world's most wonderful priest, just that the need to resort to the reserved sacrament shouldn't be that common.
It happens quite a lot. My parish has 7 Masses every Sunday. Even with judicious planning we sometimes set out too many hosts. The level of reposed hosts is then corrected by consuming some of the already consecrated hosts at the next Mass. That's a very valid reason.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments