Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 26, '04, 5:45 pm

Default Patron Saint Of Quitting Smoking?

Does anyone know of a patron saint for people who are trying to quit smoking? There seems to be a patron saint for every addiction out there.I'm ( yet again) thinking of quitting and can use all the help I can get.

Thanks,

Don
Old Jun 26, '04, 5:53 pm

Religion: Byzantine Catholic
Default Re: Patron Saint Of Quitting Smoking?

Bl. Mary Teresa Ledochowska, the foundress of the Sodality of St. Peter Claver for the African Missions. While still a lay woman at the Polish court she wrote in her journal, "... Holy Communion offered for the new way of life. Very happy and serene.. gave up smoking."

Also Bl. John the XXIII was a smoker, I think a habit he picked up while in the army.
Old Jun 26, '04, 7:43 pm
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter

Send a message via AIM to tee_eff_em Send a message via Yahoo to tee_eff_em

You could probably invoke the patronage of any saint who was martyred by fire. St Lawrence of Rome, with his sense of humor about the whole affair, seems appropriate (to me, anyway).
Old Jun 28, '04, 6:21 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Try this website. Although nothing here specifically for smokers, there are lists of saints against temptation and the like. It lists over 1700 topics for patron saints. I pray to patron saints all the time and find they usually do intercede for me. It is a wonderful way to learn more about the saints. I consult this website frequently. I found it by Googling "Patron Saints." By the way, St. Anthony happens to live in my house with my two teenage daughters!

Good luck to you in trying to quit the habit. I just thought of another saint you could pray to: St. Peregrine is the patron saint of cancer patients. Perhaps you could pray to him in a preventive type of way.

http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints
Old Jul 2, '04, 8:02 am

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via ICQ to robertaf Send a message via AIM to robertaf Send a message via MSN to robertaf Send a message via Yahoo to robertaf

Good Morning Church,

St Martin dePorres was my prayer partner when I quit about 11 years ago. I smoked for 40 years and it was very hard for me to quit.

This past March, I lost part of my right lung to lung cancer and then went through 7 weeks of radiation therapy. Quitting smoking was a "walk in the park" compared to that.

Never the less, quitting is hard and needs every bit of support.

I will commit to praying for you and offering my Communions for you while you give up smoking.

During my cancer treatments, I asked the Blessed Mother, St Martin dePorres, St Jude, Mother Teresa, Padre Pio, as well as two not officially canonized saints, Pope John XXIII and Father Steven Barham (a saintly priest who died of cancer) to pray for me.
Old Feb 18, '09, 9:43 am

I quit 10 months ago and it is one of the hardest things I have ever done. I would ask St. Michael to help you, as you must now be a warrior. I used anger at being a slave to stop my habit of 40 years. My whole life revolved around how many cigarettes I needed to have on hand. Nicotene had enslaved me. It is now wonderful to come and go without worrying if I have my cigarettes with me or not. How about remembering those times you lit butts left in the ashtray when you ran out and needed to go to the store. How about all the taxes you pay when you buy a pack of smokes. Good luck and God Bless.
Old Feb 23, '09, 11:45 pm

I quit over 30 years ago after being a two to three pack a day smoker

I along with my sister and to a lesser extent our other siblings took care of our Dad while he died from lung cancer from smoking. There was nothing good about it. From coughing up blood to actually coughing up chunks of lung. To being so weak that he needed his kids to wipe him after the bathroom.
My mom is suffering from he effects of tobacco I go every day to the hospital and visit her. One of her main complaints is that she wishes she could breath better. ......Thanks Tobacco industry.
I will be your saint.....be it an unholy one.....I will pray you will quit. I HATE THE TOBACCO INDUSTRY.......THEY ARE KILLERS.
Old Feb 24, '09, 6:56 am
Radio Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donmar35 View Post
Does anyone know of a patron saint for people who are trying to quit smoking? There seems to be a patron saint for every addiction out there.I'm ( yet again) thinking of quitting and can use all the help I can get.

Thanks,

Don
Me to -- yet again. I'll pray for you if you pray for me

I read that St Maximilian Kolbe was patron of addicts, but that's because he was murdered with drugs, not because he was an addict himself.

Old Feb 24, '09, 10:37 am

I'm also giving up the nasty habit.

I was recently shown my chest X-ray and it was explained that my lungs are hyperinflated, which means I have a loss of elasticity in my lungs and they can't/don't push all the air I breathe out so some is trapped there.

I joined the smoking cessation plan at my healthcare provider. I began taking Wellbutrin a week ago and then after a week of Wellbutrin I will start using the Nicotene patch on the quit date which I've decided will be tomorrow, Ash Wednesday. The third part of the plan is a social support group which I can't participate in due to my work schedule, so I'm looking for online smoking cessation support groups.

Reading all the success stories here is very encouraging.
Old Jun 18, '13, 8:15 pm

Religion: Catholic Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelsAlumni View Post

Reading all the success stories here is very encouraging.
I couldn't agree more. Thank you all for posting here, it's very helpful to hear about people quitting after 30 or 40 years with the help of the Saints. I've only been smoking for about 10 years, and this is day 9 for me. Hardest thing I've ever done! But this time, I have the help of God, the Saints, and you all. I'll be praying for all of you that are in the process of quitting, or thinking about it. Please pray for me as well.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence