Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 29, '10, 9:21 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default New Year's a holy day of obligation?

Just a quick question: Is New Year's day still a holy day of obligation? I've heard both recently and just want to be sure....

Thanks--
Old Dec 29, '10, 9:23 am
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: New Year's a holy day of obligation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkensinger View Post
Just a quick question: Is New Year's day still a holy day of obligation? I've heard both recently and just want to be sure....

Thanks--
Yes it is a holy day BUT

BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT:

In the U.S. per the decision of the USCCB in I believe 1996, on any day that the Feast of the Solemnity of Mary (January 1) falls on a

SATURDAY

or a

MONDAY

on those days the obligation to attend Mass on the holy day is ABROGATED.

So Yes it is a holy day but because it is a SATURDAY your obligation to attend Mass that day is ABROGATED.

I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful" (Ordinatio Sacerdotalis 4). Pope John Paul II.
Old Dec 29, '10, 10:28 am

On the Calendars it still says that it is a Holy Day of Obligation, so you must attend mass. But of course because people find it inconvienient to attend Mass two days in a row they will do what they can to avoid it. If the above were 100% true, then the obligation to attend Mass on Christmas would have been abrogated as well. People need to stop trying to find excuses to not go to Mass.
Of course if you live in my area, parishes seem to not care that it is a Holy Day. One parish has 2 vigil masses, one in english and one in spanish and then one mass on the first at 8 am. Another local church only has the vigil mass the day before. All this is compounded by the removal of the regular vigil mass for sunday and no confessions. How wonderful that we are denied the oppertunity to go to Mass simply because it is on a saturday.

Old Dec 29, '10, 10:42 am

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by migurl View Post
On the Calendars it still says that it is a Holy Day of Obligation, so you must attend mass. But of course because people find it inconvienient to attend Mass two days in a row they will do what they can to avoid it. If the above were 100% true, then the obligation to attend Mass on Christmas would have been abrogated as well. People need to stop trying to find excuses to not go to Mass.
Of course if you live in my area, parishes seem to not care that it is a Holy Day. One parish has 2 vigil masses, one in english and one in spanish and then one mass on the first at 8 am. Another local church only has the vigil mass the day before. All this is compounded by the removal of the regular vigil mass for sunday and no confessions. How wonderful that we are denied the oppertunity to go to Mass simply because it is on a saturday.
Not true. It depends on the diocese, and our Bishop for the past 4 or 5 years has said that this is not a Holy Day of Obligation. It depends on where you live. I would go anyway but sometimes bad weather prevents it.
Old Dec 29, '10, 10:45 am

Check with your diocese. But it doesn't hurt to go to Mass regardless.

Old Dec 29, '10, 10:54 am
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Um, yes it IS true (what I posted above.) The obligation is abrogated. That means you MAY go if you want to but you are not OBLIGATED to. It is a holy day of obligation and the 'holiness' of the day does not change The Bishops chose to make this pretty much universal for January 1, for Nov, 1, and for the Assumption (Aug. 15) though NOT for Christmas and for December 8 (Immaculate Conception). . .so much for the "if this were true Christmas would have been affected." Check to be SURE for your own diocese but this is pretty standard for all U.S. dioceses with the exception of Hawaii which is a special case on its own.

I'm not 'looking for excuses to miss' either.

I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful" (Ordinatio Sacerdotalis 4). Pope John Paul II.
Old Dec 29, '10, 10:57 am
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

From the USCCB: So it's official. Okay???

SUBSEQUENT ACTION: Canon 1246§2

DECREE OF PROMULGATIONOn December 13, 1991 the members of the National Conference of Catholic Bishops of the United States of American made the following general decree concerning holy days of obligation for Latin rite Catholics:

In addition to Sunday, the days to be observed as holy days of obligation in the Latin Rite dioceses of the United States of America, in conformity with canon 1246, are as follows:

January 1, the solemnity of Mary, Mother of God
Thursday of the Sixth Week of Easter, the solemnity of the Ascension
August 15, the solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
November 1, the solemnity of All Saints
December 8, the solemnity of the Immaculate Conception
December 25, the solemnity of the Nativity of Our Lord Jesus Christ

Whenever January 1, the solemnity of Mary, Mother of God, or August 15, the solemnity of the Assumption, or November 1, the solemnity of All Saints, falls on a Saturday or on a Monday, the precept to attend Mass is abrogated.

This decree of the Conference of Bishops was approved and confirmed by the Apostolic See by a decree of the Congregation for Bishops (Prot. N. 296/84), signed by Bernardin Cardinal Gantin, prefect of the Congregation, and dated July 4, 1992.

As president of the National Conference of Catholic Bishops, I hereby declare that the effective date of this decree for all the Latin rite dioceses of the United States of America will be January 1, 1993, the solemnity of Mary, Mother of God.

Given at the offices of the National Conference of Catholic Bishops in Washington, DC, November 17, 1992.

Most Reverend Daniel E. Pilarczyk
Archbishop of Cincinnati
President, NCCB

Monsignor Robert N. Lynch
General Secretary

Old Dec 29, '10, 11:21 am
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦

If you are NOT in the US however, its probably still a holiday of obligation. It is here in Canada. You never mentioned where in the world you are from. In the US there is no obligation.
Old Dec 29, '10, 11:25 am
Banned

Religion: Latin Catholic

England and Wales: no, the precept has been removed - so never a holy day of obligation*
Canada: yes
USA: no, not this year (if it falls on a Monday or Saturday the obligation is abrogated)*

*All determined by these countries respective episcopal conferences and granted recognitio of their decisions from the Holy See.

So, where there is no obligation, one has no obligation to participate in Mass but of course one is completely free to participate in Mass.

It is not for anyone to judge whether you choose to go to Mass on any day that is not a holy day of obligation.
Old Dec 29, '10, 11:45 am

Well, thank God that our Diocese is still treating it like a Holy Day, even if they do not offer many masses. I think it is quite sad that people would abbrogate a Holy Day simply because it involves going to Church two days in a row. Shame on whoever decided that was a good idea. In a time and a country when people's morals mean less and less to them, where Babies are killed, marriage is destoyed and mocked and where we can;'t Say Merry Christmas without getting dirty looks the last thing we need is to remove Obligations for Holy Days.

Old Dec 29, '10, 1:14 pm
Banned

Religion: Latin Catholic

Quote:
Well, thank God that our Diocese is still treating it like a Holy Day
It is a solemnity. A solemnity is one of the three grades of holy day. It is a holy day in the General Roman Calendar. Therefore, your diocese is not unique. It is a holy day that will be celebrated throughout the Latin Catholic Church.

Quote:
I think it is quite sad that people would abbrogate a Holy Day simply because it involves going to Church two days in a row.
The holy day has not been abrogated. The precept to observe it as a day of obligation has been abrogated.

Quote:
Shame on whoever decided that was a good idea.
That is an issue that you will have to take up with the episcopal conferences that made that decision and the Holy See's Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments which approved their decisions.
Old Dec 29, '10, 2:23 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Well, thank God that our Diocese is still treating it like a Holy Day, even if they do not offer many masses.
As a solemnity it will be celebrated as such everywhere as a daily mass. It is only the obligation to attend Mass that is abrogated. The day itself remains a solemnity.

Quote:
I think it is quite sad that people would abbrogate a Holy Day simply because it involves going to Church two days in a row.
It is also quite sad that people would assume bad things about other people and about the bishops.

Part of the reason they abrogate the holy day when it falls in proximity to Sunday is due to priest shortages in many areas, such as mine where the priest is responsible for 3 different parishes 40 miles distant from one another. Priests are limited in the number of Masses they say in a day, and it is very difficult for him to schedule all these Masses like he had to last week for Christmas. He ended up not having a Sunday mass at one parish and they had to drive the distance to go to some other parish in the snow.

So, I suggest you get off your high horse and stop assuming things. Maybe you should pray for more priests instead of badmouthing the bishops.

Quote:
Shame on whoever decided that was a good idea.
You think you know better than our bishops?

Quote:
In a time and a country when people's morals mean less and less to them, where Babies are killed, marriage is destoyed and mocked and where we can;'t Say Merry Christmas without getting dirty looks the last thing we need is to remove Obligations for Holy Days.
As if the obligation on a holy day makes a difference to those who aren't observant in the faith.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Dec 29, '10, 2:36 pm

I thought they allowed the feast of the ascension to be abrogated in the sat/mon cases as well?
Old Dec 29, '10, 2:41 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasf View Post
I thought they allowed the feast of the ascension to be abrogated in the sat/mon cases as well?
The Solemnity of the Ascension always falls on a Thursday, forty days after Easter; for this reason many call it Ascension Thursday. What the bishops did there is allow provinces of bishops (archdioceses and their surrounding dioceses) opt to transfer the feast to the following Sunday.
Old Dec 29, '10, 2:45 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasf View Post
Ascension is 40 days after Easter, and therefore always on a Thursday.

In most diocese in the US, Ascension has been transferred to the following Sunday. It's still a Holy Day, but Sunday is already a day of obligation.

In accord with the provisions of canon 1246§2 of the Code of Canon Law, which states: "... the conference of bishops can abolish certain holy days of obligation or transfer them to a Sunday with prior approval of the Apostolic See," the National Conference of Catholic Bishops of the United States decrees that the Ecclesiastical Provinces of the United States may transfer the Solemnity of the Ascension of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ from Thursday of the Sixth Week of Easter to the Seventh Sunday of Easter according to the following procedure.

The decision of each Ecclesiastical Province to transfer the Solemnity of the Ascension is to be made by the affirmative vote of two-thirds of the bishops of the respective Ecclesiastical Province. The decision of the Ecclesiastical Province should be communicated to the Prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments and to the President of the National Conference of Catholic Bishops.

This decree was approved by His Holiness Pope John Paul II by a decree of the Congregation for Bishops signed by His Eminence Lucas Cardinal Moreira Neves, Prefect of the Congregation for Bishops, and dated July 5, 1999.

As President of the National Conference of Catholic Bishops, I hereby decree that the effective date of this decree for all the Latin Rite dioceses of the United States of America will be September 8, 1999, Feast of the Birth of the Virgin Mary.

There are several dioceses in the US which do not transfer the Ascension to Sunday. The ecclesiastical provinces of Boston, Hartford, New York, Newark, Philadelphia, and the State of Nebraska have retained its celebration on Thursday, while all other provinces have transferred this solemnity to the Seventh Sunday of Easter

In addition, the diocese of Hawaii observes the Holy Days established for the Pacific islands, not the US, by indult:

In a decree dated March 23, 1992, the bishop of Honolulu designated Christmas and the Immaculate Conception as the only two holy days of obligation for the State of Hawaii. This implements the indult received from the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments on May 26, 1990, and the subsequent nihil obstat from the USCCB allowing Hawaii to legislate on this matter in accord with the policies of the Conference of Bishops of the South Pacific (CEPAC).

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments