Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > Converting to the Catholic Faith

Converting to the Catholic Faith Click here to visit this social group

Old Jan 4, '11, 1:30 pm
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic: Revert
Smile Re: Please introduce yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryJam View Post
Hello and thank you for the invitation!

I'm just hoping this wasn't a mistake, so I am just checking that first before posting anything else.

Thank you again
Mistake? No way! I have seen many of your posts and you seem to be on a real journey of faith so I invited you to join us.

I like a lot of what you've posted and I think we'd be crazy not to have someone like you in this group.

Your posts are honest and curious..and that's a good thing.

Come on in... the baptismal water is fine!

Old Jan 4, '11, 5:33 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Please introduce yourself!

Hi

I am just starting to look into the Catholic faith. I was raised a nominal protestant though I seldome went to church. My older sister married into Catholicism and I attended church with her on a few occasions when I was a child, and was always very impressed by the beauty of the Mass, but that was really my only exposure to it. At about 24 I visited a nearby Catholic church and spoke to them about converting, but because I had already had two youthful marriages that ended in divorce I was overwhelmed by the info they gave me about what I would have to do to be accepted into the church regarding having these marriages annulled, etc. so I gave it up before I even started.

I was baptised into the Church of Christ at 15 but soon fell away from attending, and over the intervening years I attended a few churches for awhile with varying degrees of dedication. In the most recent years, I have become more liberal in my general outlook and political beliefs and have even tended towards agnosticism.

A year or so ago, however, I watched a movie about a nun and since that time I have felt myself drawn towards the Catholic faith even more. I have communicated with some sisters and have read some books about the Faith and watched a good bit of EWTS on TV and I feel very moved to try this again and see what comes of it. I have an appointment with a Deacon at my nearby parish to discuss my marital situation and I am very happy about that and hoping it will turn out in a hopeful manner. I am currently married and have 3 sons.
Old Jan 4, '11, 6:54 pm

Religion: agnostic w/ catholic leanings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church Militant View Post
Mistake? No way! I have seen many of your posts and you seem to be on a real journey of faith so I invited you to join us.

I like a lot of what you've posted and I think we'd be crazy not to have someone like you in this group.

Your posts are honest and curious..and that's a good thing.

Come on in... the baptismal water is fine!

I am sorry I thought it was a mistake of some kind. I like your posts as well, and the first time I noticed them I think were in defense of Mary.
This is where you have me as an ally my friends.
I do believe my journey would not continue this far without my liking Mary as much as I do.
Why I go to Mass, why I keep trying. It is also in some of you that I have met along the way.
I know I am rather dissapointing in terms of how long it is taking me to get to where many would expect me to be now.
I can't imagine Mary being dissapointed in me though. I think she is patient.
Glad to be invited,
Hope I can offer any thoughts

SJ

Strawberry Fields Forever
Old Jan 4, '11, 8:40 pm
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryJam View Post

I am sorry I thought it was a mistake of some kind. I like your posts as well, and the first time I noticed them I think were in defense of Mary.
This is where you have me as an ally my friends.
I do believe my journey would not continue this far without my liking Mary as much as I do.
Why I go to Mass, why I keep trying. It is also in some of you that I have met along the way.
I know I am rather disappointing in terms of how long it is taking me to get to where many would expect me to be now.
I can't imagine Mary being disappointed in me though. I think she is patient.
Glad to be invited,
Hope I can offer any thoughts

SJ
We can walk your path together SJ. Such a journey is easier with friends along.

Old Jan 4, '11, 9:17 pm

Religion: agnostic w/ catholic leanings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church Militant View Post
We can walk your path together SJ. Such a journey is easier with friends along.
Tis true.

The first thing I need to say, is that I can not sing. Sometimes I feel like singing anyway since I know so many of the songs by now.
I really like when the children sing, because they seem to bring a real difference in their sincere hearts, not caring to please a crowd. Just singing from their hearts.

Another reason I can't go visit an entertainment oriented christian worship service.

Worship can't mean keeping the crowds happy.

Maybe this is why I feel most comfortable in a Catholic Church.

Strawberry Fields Forever
Old Jan 14, '11, 9:38 am

Hello All!

I am new to my Catholic Faith, I am actually new to religion all together. I have always considered myself christian, but besides for a few weeks when I was a teenager (When I was baptized) I have never formally gone to church.

I had considered going to church for several years before I actually did, it just took me a while to figure out which one. I did a lot of research and did a lot of listening to christian radio, mostly Immaculate Heart Radio. Eventually it came down to me deciding to be Catholic. I pretty sure I always wanted it to be Catholic, but it took some coming to terms with some of the Church's teachings. In the end I knew that it was the Church that Jesus himself had founded and although it was tough for me to come to terms with some of the teaching I accepted them as truths so here I am.

I am currently in RCIA and hope to be confirmed this Easter. I really enjoy the parish that I am at and really enjoy listening to the pastors homily. I wanted to join this group cause there are alot of answers here and as questions come up I can have a place to ask them.

Thanks again for allowing me to join and look forwards to talking with some of you!!
Old Jan 14, '11, 10:13 am

Hi SeekerDan and WELCOME!!

Congrats on choosing the Catholic Church and best wishes to you as you participate in RCIA

Feel free to ask whatever you wish - this is a very knowledgeable group!

I too, came from a non-church going family. It wasn't that my family weren't Christian believers, but we just didn't attend services very often.
I've married a cradle Catholic and attended Mass for over 20+ years before deciding to officially join the Church. It was the best decision I ever made.

Again, welcome and feel free to jump in anytime with comments or questions.

~~Prairie Rose

"If all Catholics lived their faith, everyone would be Catholic”
......................Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen
Old Jan 17, '11, 6:19 am
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerDan View Post
Hello All!

I am new to my Catholic Faith, I am actually new to religion all together. I have always considered myself christian, but besides for a few weeks when I was a teenager (When I was baptized) I have never formally gone to church.

I had considered going to church for several years before I actually did, it just took me a while to figure out which one. I did a lot of research and did a lot of listening to christian radio, mostly Immaculate Heart Radio. Eventually it came down to me deciding to be Catholic. I pretty sure I always wanted it to be Catholic, but it took some coming to terms with some of the Church's teachings. In the end I knew that it was the Church that Jesus himself had founded and although it was tough for me to come to terms with some of the teaching I accepted them as truths so here I am.

I am currently in RCIA and hope to be confirmed this Easter. I really enjoy the parish that I am at and really enjoy listening to the pastors homily. I wanted to join this group cause there are alot of answers here and as questions come up I can have a place to ask them.

Thanks again for allowing me to join and look forwards to talking with some of you!!
Hi Dan!
Welcome to the Church an the group!

We'll certainly do our best to help you find anything that you need.
Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum,

Old Jan 26, '11, 8:31 pm

Religion: Catholic, Amen

I guess I'll post an introduction since I'm doing some catching up on all the threads. I am pretty well recovered from surgery I had last month and catching up on life in general. I am considering the Catholic church and am in RCIA, I think I will be confirmed in the Catholic church the week after Easter but still am sorting out a couple of last reservations.

I come from mostly a Lutheran background, I was baptised as a baby in the Lutheran church but some events caused my family to leave the church in my early childhood, so I really remember starting to go to the Lutheran church from about 5th grade and on through the first year of college. My parents also allowed us kids to go to "Vacation Bible School" in the summers so that was my foundation in Christianity. I've hopped around various churches as I felt comfortable going to other churches (not Lutheran) with friends in college but those churches didn't satisfy me in one way or another after college. In the past decade I struggled to find a church home and finally made a decision last year to "settle down" in a church - go somewhere every Sunday even if I didn't "join" the church.

Then a year ago in November my uncle died. He was Catholic and I always had some nagging questions about the Catholic church but was always scared to ask them. I'd had lingering questions when my dad died too and decided that since these questions about Catholicism COULD be answered where the questions I had of my dad can't be answered, I'd stop the cycle of wondering and learn about the Catholic church. I started going to Mass and asking a friend about what I saw or heard that was different. She sent me CDs from Lighthouse Catholic Media and I started listening to them... and soaking up the information like a sponge. I started reading everything I could get my hands on by Scott Hahn and after several months I called the church to find out some answers to a few more questions.

I reached a point where I started backing off a little bit and just attending Mass but still kept reading. It was also time where I was waiting for RCIA to start and I was making up my mind about whether or not to be part of RCIA. Now I'm partway through RCIA and I have answered most of the questions I had (though plenty more cropped up in the process) and I am working on my second Stephen Ray book - Upon this Rock (read Crossing the Tiber). We will see where the journey goes...
Old Jan 27, '11, 5:31 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic, former Pentecostal and United Methodist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantingUnity View Post
I guess I'll post an introduction since I'm doing some catching up on all the threads. I am pretty well recovered from surgery I had last month and catching up on life in general. I am considering the Catholic church and am in RCIA, I think I will be confirmed in the Catholic church the week after Easter but still am sorting out a couple of last reservations.

I come from mostly a Lutheran background, I was baptised as a baby in the Lutheran church but some events caused my family to leave the church in my early childhood, so I really remember starting to go to the Lutheran church from about 5th grade and on through the first year of college. My parents also allowed us kids to go to "Vacation Bible School" in the summers so that was my foundation in Christianity. I've hopped around various churches as I felt comfortable going to other churches (not Lutheran) with friends in college but those churches didn't satisfy me in one way or another after college. In the past decade I struggled to find a church home and finally made a decision last year to "settle down" in a church - go somewhere every Sunday even if I didn't "join" the church.

Then a year ago in November my uncle died. He was Catholic and I always had some nagging questions about the Catholic church but was always scared to ask them. I'd had lingering questions when my dad died too and decided that since these questions about Catholicism COULD be answered where the questions I had of my dad can't be answered, I'd stop the cycle of wondering and learn about the Catholic church. I started going to Mass and asking a friend about what I saw or heard that was different. She sent me CDs from Lighthouse Catholic Media and I started listening to them... and soaking up the information like a sponge. I started reading everything I could get my hands on by Scott Hahn and after several months I called the church to find out some answers to a few more questions.

I reached a point where I started backing off a little bit and just attending Mass but still kept reading. It was also time where I was waiting for RCIA to start and I was making up my mind about whether or not to be part of RCIA. Now I'm partway through RCIA and I have answered most of the questions I had (though plenty more cropped up in the process) and I am working on my second Stephen Ray book - Upon this Rock (read Crossing the Tiber). We will see where the journey goes...
Welcome to the journey home! It sounds like you have had a great journey so far, and it will continue. After 6 years as a Catholic, I am still learning all the time. This faith is so rich and it seems like as each day passes I draw closer to Jesus. You will be so happy the day you recieve Jesus in the Eucharist.
Old Jan 28, '11, 8:42 pm
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Hi WU,

You remind me of me in a way. I basically devoured everything I could get my hands on.

LCM has some excellent stuff. I have several of their CDs here to hand as I write this.

The Bible Christian Society also has some excellent FREE MP3s you can download, so check them out too.

It's great to have you here with us.
God's peace.

Old Jan 31, '11, 4:25 pm
Observing Member

Hi everyone,
I am married to a Catholic Woman who has been in the church her whole life, I have decided to convert. This is not something I decided recently but something that I have recently shared with my wife. I have been attending Mass for the last 4 years with my wife. I have contacted the people who do the RCIA class and will not be able to start again until next October. I figure that until then I can learn as much as I can. I was raised Baptist and all the churches I have gone to until I met my wife were Baptist churches. My wife was very supportive of me and the fact that I was when we met and married was going to stay Baptist she felt that was my decision to make. I look forward to reading all of your posts and look forward to learning from you all
Old Feb 1, '11, 6:36 pm

Hello and Welcome Underway - I like your nickname
We have similar stories - I recently converted also, and I'm married to a cradle Catholic. I started attending the Catholic Church way back in my High School years with a friend and then met my future husband and for the next 20 years often went with him to Mass without converting. In 2007 I lost a very good friend to Cancer and her handling of her disease and her impending death, was an inspiration. She was a life long Catholic and as her health & strength failed, her Faith seemed to grow stronger. Her death was a wake up call for me - because I was never baptized or had any religion, other than sitting with my husband in Church, and I guess you could say I was just a "body in the pews". So in the Fall of 2008 I started RCIA and was baptized in December and joined the Church at the Easter Vigil, 2009. It was the best decision I ever made

Sorry for rambling on - I hope you will not be afraid to ask whatever comes to mind - the Catholic Faith is rich with history and tradition.

God Bless and Welcome!!
Prairie Rose from Nebraska

"If all Catholics lived their faith, everyone would be Catholic”
......................Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen
Old Mar 2, '11, 7:40 pm

Religion: AME with Catholic bloodlines

Hello all,

I was raised in an AME church (African Methodist Episcopopal). I was baptized in a Lutheran church and I spend about 15 years as a Muslim.

I have come to the Catholic Church because I believe God spoke to me. I was on Facebook one day and I saw a link for a website that deals with Catholic vocations/dicernment etc. I heard a voice kind of like my own internal voice say "I want you to get to know me, get to know my people." I clicked on the website and spent the rest of the day looking at monastaries seminaries and things like that and I have been studing Catholicism ever since.

I joined my local Parish and started going to pray there and I went to sign up for RCIA but the new class does not start until September so I will go to Mass and learn as much as I can and surround myself with as many Catholic people as I can until I am Confirmed in the faith.

I don't believe I saught this out but I was called to this faith by God himself (if I may be so bold) and I am turing my life and my will over to God and The Mother Church. I come here often, read, and ask questions. I joined this group before I even knew what it was and now I'm finally introducing myself. I hope to meet some people who will take this faith walk together with me and teach me and we can learn from eaach other.

I have studied many things and philosophies and I believe I have much to learn and to teach so I think I have bored you enough and I look forward to building a real substantial online relationship with anyone who is serious about serving the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost with me as my brother (or sister) in Christ

With love
Robert

Amen

May God add a blessing to all that read this/
Old Mar 6, '11, 5:54 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic, former Pentecostal and United Methodist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rturner76 View Post
Hello all,

I was raised in an AME church (African Methodist Episcopopal). I was baptized in a Lutheran church and I spend about 15 years as a Muslim.

I have come to the Catholic Church because I believe God spoke to me. I was on Facebook one day and I saw a link for a website that deals with Catholic vocations/dicernment etc. I heard a voice kind of like my own internal voice say "I want you to get to know me, get to know my people." I clicked on the website and spent the rest of the day looking at monastaries seminaries and things like that and I have been studing Catholicism ever since.

I joined my local Parish and started going to pray there and I went to sign up for RCIA but the new class does not start until September so I will go to Mass and learn as much as I can and surround myself with as many Catholic people as I can until I am Confirmed in the faith.

I don't believe I saught this out but I was called to this faith by God himself (if I may be so bold) and I am turing my life and my will over to God and The Mother Church. I come here often, read, and ask questions. I joined this group before I even knew what it was and now I'm finally introducing myself. I hope to meet some people who will take this faith walk together with me and teach me and we can learn from eaach other.

I have studied many things and philosophies and I believe I have much to learn and to teach so I think I have bored you enough and I look forward to building a real substantial online relationship with anyone who is serious about serving the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost with me as my brother (or sister) in Christ

With love
Robert

Amen

May God add a blessing to all that read this/
Welcome to the journey home. You do have a lot to learn. I have been Catholic for 6 yrs and I am still learning.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > Converting to the Catholic Faith