Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Dec 31, '10, 7:35 am
gregY gregY is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: October 28, 2004
Posts: 43
Religion: ROMAN CATHOLIC!
Default Friday Penance Today (During Christmas Octave)?

Is Friday penance obligatory today?
I think that during the Easter octave, the Friday is a solemnity and therefore Friday penance is not requisite.

Thanks,
GregY
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Dec 31, '10, 8:09 am
CalCatholic CalCatholic is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: September 23, 2008
Posts: 1,612
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Friday Penance Today (During Christmas Octave)?

This is not an official answer, but since we are in the octave of Christmas, celebrating the arrival of Jesus (at his incarnation), a bible verse comes to my mind as an answer to your question. 'And Jesus said to them, "Can the wedding guests fast while the bridegroom is with them? As long as they have the bridegroom with them, they cannot fast." (Mark 2:19, RSV)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Dec 31, '10, 9:14 am
JM3's Avatar
JM3 JM3 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: July 9, 2010
Posts: 3,007
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Friday Penance Today (During Christmas Octave)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregY View Post
Is Friday penance obligatory today?
I think that during the Easter octave, the Friday is a solemnity and therefore Friday penance is not requisite.

Thanks,
GregY

CCC

1438 The seasons and days of penance in the course of the liturgical year (Lent, and each Friday in memory of the death of the Lord) are intense moments of the Church's penitential practice.36 These times are particularly appropriate for spiritual exercises, penitential liturgies, pilgrimages as signs of penance, voluntary self-denial such as fasting and almsgiving, and fraternal sharing (charitable and missionary works).

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P4B.HTM


Code of Canon Law

Can. 1250 The penitential days and times in the universal Church are every Friday of the whole year and the season of Lent.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P4O.HTM
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Dec 31, '10, 10:24 am
Bbigam Bbigam is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: September 17, 2009
Posts: 636
Religion: Catholic! - Roman Rite
Default Re: Friday Penance Today (During Christmas Octave)?

The only exception I know of is for solemnities - and I don't believe that days 2-7 of the Christmas Octave are ranked as Solemnities. The days within the Octave of Easter, on the other hand, are all solemnity-ranked. This is what I see in the USCCB liturgical calendar anyway.

So I believe that we are supposed to do Friday penance as usual during the Octave of Christmas (unless, of course, Christmas Day and the Solemnity of Mary are Fridays), but we don't have to do Friday penance at all in the Octave of Easter.

USCCB Liturgical Calendar for 2011 (pdf)
__________________
TIBER SWIM TEAM - EASTER VIGIL 2010
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Dec 31, '10, 10:57 am
Monica4316's Avatar
Monica4316 Monica4316 is offline
Senior Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: April 8, 2008
Posts: 7,922
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Friday Penance Today (During Christmas Octave)?

what about abstaining from meat on Fridays? I usually don't eat meat on fridays, but today I'm going to a family dinner because it's new year's eve and there will be meat... are we allowed to eat meat if we substitute a different penance? (I live in Canada). I feel like it would be uncharitable for me to not eat the dinner because my family puts so much effort into it every year.
__________________
"I no longer have a heart, I gave it to Jesus' Mom" St Gemma

"I know but one thing now - to love Thee, O Jesus!" St Therese
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Dec 31, '10, 12:20 pm
gregY gregY is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: October 28, 2004
Posts: 43
Religion: ROMAN CATHOLIC!
Default Re: Friday Penance Today (During Christmas Octave)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica4316 View Post
what about abstaining from meat on Fridays? I usually don't eat meat on fridays, but today I'm going to a family dinner because it's new year's eve and there will be meat... are we allowed to eat meat if we substitute a different penance? (I live in Canada). I feel like it would be uncharitable for me to not eat the dinner because my family puts so much effort into it every year.
Yes, you are allowed to substitute another penance instead of abstinence for meat (with the exception of days of abstinence during Lent of course). We do the same thing when we are with Protestant family members on Friday nights who want to feed us.
Moreover, as far as I'm concerned, once this evening hits, its the Vigil for the Solemnity tomorrow anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Mar 25, '11, 1:25 pm
Dranu's Avatar
Dranu Dranu is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: December 29, 2006
Posts: 469
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Friday Penance Today (During Christmas Octave)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM3 View Post
CCC

1438 The seasons and days of penance in the course of the liturgical year (Lent, and each Friday in memory of the death of the Lord) are intense moments of the Church's penitential practice.36 These times are particularly appropriate for spiritual exercises, penitential liturgies, pilgrimages as signs of penance, voluntary self-denial such as fasting and almsgiving, and fraternal sharing (charitable and missionary works).

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P4B.HTM


Code of Canon Law

Can. 1250 The penitential days and times in the universal Church are every Friday of the whole year and the season of Lent.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P4O.HTM
But also (my emphasis):

Can 1251:
"Abstinence from meat, or from some other food as determined by the Episcopal Conference, is to be observed on all Fridays, unless a solemnity should fall on a Friday. Abstinence and fasting are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday." (me: though I'm sure one can choose to abstain, it just appears it is not bound "to be observed" if its a Friday and a Solemnity).

Can. 1253:
" The conference of bishops can determine more precisely the observance of fast and abstinence as well as substitute other forms of penance, especially works of charity and exercises of piety, in whole or in part, for abstinence and fast."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8259Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: janiejnb
5022CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: Vim71
4346Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: FootStool
4029OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: B79
3835SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3572Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3233Poems and Reflections
Last by: tonyg
3207Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: Chast Forever
3139Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3049For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Thomas Choe



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:37 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.