Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 31, '10, 7:35 am

Religion: ROMAN CATHOLIC!
Default Friday Penance Today (During Christmas Octave)?

Is Friday penance obligatory today?
I think that during the Easter octave, the Friday is a solemnity and therefore Friday penance is not requisite.

Thanks,
GregY
Old Dec 31, '10, 8:09 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Friday Penance Today (During Christmas Octave)?

This is not an official answer, but since we are in the octave of Christmas, celebrating the arrival of Jesus (at his incarnation), a bible verse comes to my mind as an answer to your question. 'And Jesus said to them, "Can the wedding guests fast while the bridegroom is with them? As long as they have the bridegroom with them, they cannot fast." (Mark 2:19, RSV)
Old Dec 31, '10, 9:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregY View Post
Is Friday penance obligatory today?
I think that during the Easter octave, the Friday is a solemnity and therefore Friday penance is not requisite.

Thanks,
GregY

CCC

1438 The seasons and days of penance in the course of the liturgical year (Lent, and each Friday in memory of the death of the Lord) are intense moments of the Church's penitential practice.36 These times are particularly appropriate for spiritual exercises, penitential liturgies, pilgrimages as signs of penance, voluntary self-denial such as fasting and almsgiving, and fraternal sharing (charitable and missionary works).

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P4B.HTM

Code of Canon Law

Can. 1250 The penitential days and times in the universal Church are every Friday of the whole year and the season of Lent.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P4O.HTM
Old Dec 31, '10, 10:24 am

Religion: Catholic! - Roman Rite

The only exception I know of is for solemnities - and I don't believe that days 2-7 of the Christmas Octave are ranked as Solemnities. The days within the Octave of Easter, on the other hand, are all solemnity-ranked. This is what I see in the USCCB liturgical calendar anyway.

So I believe that we are supposed to do Friday penance as usual during the Octave of Christmas (unless, of course, Christmas Day and the Solemnity of Mary are Fridays), but we don't have to do Friday penance at all in the Octave of Easter.

USCCB Liturgical Calendar for 2011 (pdf)
Old Dec 31, '10, 10:57 am
Prayer Warrior

what about abstaining from meat on Fridays? I usually don't eat meat on fridays, but today I'm going to a family dinner because it's new year's eve and there will be meat... are we allowed to eat meat if we substitute a different penance? (I live in Canada). I feel like it would be uncharitable for me to not eat the dinner because my family puts so much effort into it every year.

"I know but one thing now - to love Thee, O Jesus!" St Therese
Old Dec 31, '10, 12:20 pm

Religion: ROMAN CATHOLIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica4316 View Post
what about abstaining from meat on Fridays? I usually don't eat meat on fridays, but today I'm going to a family dinner because it's new year's eve and there will be meat... are we allowed to eat meat if we substitute a different penance? (I live in Canada). I feel like it would be uncharitable for me to not eat the dinner because my family puts so much effort into it every year.
Yes, you are allowed to substitute another penance instead of abstinence for meat (with the exception of days of abstinence during Lent of course). We do the same thing when we are with Protestant family members on Friday nights who want to feed us.
Moreover, as far as I'm concerned, once this evening hits, its the Vigil for the Solemnity tomorrow anyway.
Old Mar 25, '11, 1:25 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM3 View Post
CCC

1438 The seasons and days of penance in the course of the liturgical year (Lent, and each Friday in memory of the death of the Lord) are intense moments of the Church's penitential practice.36 These times are particularly appropriate for spiritual exercises, penitential liturgies, pilgrimages as signs of penance, voluntary self-denial such as fasting and almsgiving, and fraternal sharing (charitable and missionary works).

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P4B.HTM

Code of Canon Law

Can. 1250 The penitential days and times in the universal Church are every Friday of the whole year and the season of Lent.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P4O.HTM
But also (my emphasis):

Can 1251:
"Abstinence from meat, or from some other food as determined by the Episcopal Conference, is to be observed on all Fridays, unless a solemnity should fall on a Friday. Abstinence and fasting are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday." (me: though I'm sure one can choose to abstain, it just appears it is not bound "to be observed" if its a Friday and a Solemnity).

Can. 1253:
" The conference of bishops can determine more precisely the observance of fast and abstinence as well as substitute other forms of penance, especially works of charity and exercises of piety, in whole or in part, for abstinence and fast."

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality