Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Jan 1, '11, 7:36 pm
CurtHo CurtHo is offline
Observing Member
 
Join Date: October 3, 2010
Posts: 3
Religion: Catholic
Default Private Revelation

What is the official Vatican view point on Private Revelation like those of Christina Gallagher and/or Barnabas Nwoye? I know several people who believe in the revelations and recite special prayers.

I have reviewed the prayers like the Chaplets of Precious Blood and it seems to be harmless. The material that I have read also seems harmless; however, the prayer houses of Christina Gallagher seems a little odd. Why would Jesus have people go to a special prayer house for salvation and not a Catholic Church.

On the defense of the prayer houses the mass and confessions are is done by Priest that are in good standing with the Church.

Any comments.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Jan 1, '11, 7:53 pm
coco2 coco2 is online now
Regular Member
 
Join Date: July 23, 2008
Posts: 584
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Private Revelation

I have just recently learned about Christina Gallagher. There is a House of Prayer close to where I live, but haven't decided whether or not to go to it. I also think it is odd that God would want people to go to these houses where Jesus ( Eucharist ) isn't present.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Jan 1, '11, 8:46 pm
pablope pablope is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: September 29, 2010
Posts: 7,194
Religion: catholic
Default Re: Private Revelation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtHo View Post
What is the official Vatican view point on Private Revelation like those of Christina Gallagher and/or Barnabas Nwoye? I know several people who believe in the revelations and recite special prayers.

I have reviewed the prayers like the Chaplets of Precious Blood and it seems to be harmless. The material that I have read also seems harmless; however, the prayer houses of Christina Gallagher seems a little odd. Why would Jesus have people go to a special prayer house for salvation and not a Catholic Church.

On the defense of the prayer houses the mass and confessions are is done by Priest that are in good standing with the Church.

Any comments.
My suggestion....ask your parish priest or bishop, through the diocesan office, if they are aware of these and if these are officially sanctioned. I would also ask the host of the prayer house if they have notified the local parish or diocese and if they have permission.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Jan 1, '11, 9:49 pm
Iowa Mike Iowa Mike is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: December 28, 2006
Posts: 933
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Private Revelation

What is the official Vatican view point on Private Revelation like those of Christina Gallagher and/or Barnabas Nwoye? I know several people who believe in the revelations and recite special prayers.

I have reviewed the prayers like the Chaplets of Precious Blood and it seems to be harmless. The material that I have read also seems harmless; however, the prayer houses of Christina Gallagher seems a little odd. Why would Jesus have people go to a special prayer house for salvation and not a Catholic Church.

On the defense of the prayer houses the mass and confessions are is done by Priest that are in good standing with the Church.

Any comments.

People like Christina Gallagher and/or Barnabas Nwoye should be thoroughly researched before getting involved with them:

Go to http://catholicplanet.com/apparitions/false02.htm and read a skeptics view of Christina Gallagher....then go to: http://www.catholicplanet.com/apparitions/false33.htm and read a review on Nwoye.

Whether you agree with Catholic Planet or not the reviews point out areas where the claims of both of these "seers"conflict with the teachings of the Catholic Church. You can then verify if any of the criticisms by checking with your priest, the CCC, etc. Keep in mind God cannot be wrong and cannot lie so anything these people say that conflict with accepted Church teachings means they are not from God. After reading the reviews I am skeptical. Assuming they have accurately represented what these two "seers" claim it is quite apparent they are not from God. In fact, they should be selling snake oil.

My parish recently brought in the Lay Apostolate of Jesus Christ the Returning King founded by Ann a lay apostle. Ann claims that after she and her daughter visited Medugore she began to receive messages from Mary and Jesus. And like Christina she began to publish these messages in the 'first person'. Ann claims to be in daily contact with Jesus and Mary and writes messages on just about everything. They are light spiritual messages about praying etc. etc. I was invited to join a discussion group centered on her writings. So I read one of her books. After doing so I was very skeptical, I simply did not accept that the Lord or Mary would speak in the manner represented so I declined to join the group.

When the Parish decided to bring in her representatives to put on a week end about her Lay Apostolate I decided to take another look. I read her pamphlet on Purgatory. She claims Jesus has taken her to Purgatory several times and it is a wonderful place. Writing in the first person of Jesus Christ the pamphlet claims there will be no physical suffering in Purgatory. This is just plain false. I did research on Ann and what the Church, saints etc. teach on Purgatory. In St. Thomas' Summa Theologica he makes it plain the those who go to Purgatory will suffer pain of the loss and pain of the senses. Pain of loss because we desire the Beatific Vision but are denied it while in purgatory and pain of the senses through fire. This view is held by many many other saints, the CCC, the Purgatory Museum of Rome and the many priests and advisors I asked. So the bottom like is this....Since Jesus cannot err or lie then it stands that Ann must be doing one, the other or both. The Church teaches that we are not obligated to believe private revelation and the Church will only rule that apparitions e.g. Fatima, Lourdes etc. are worthy of belief. They make this ruling only after conducting a full investigation.

Here's some other information I learned about Ann:

Her real name is Catherine Anne Clark.
She is from Chicago, Illinois.
She has a degree in Criminal Justice and Counseling
She is once divorced.
She claims to have been an abused wife.
She wrote a book called "The Unbreakable Vow" regarding abusive marital relationships.
She began a 'Domestic Violance Prevention"
She remarried and moved to County Cavan in Ireland.
She has 6 children, one by her first husband and 5 by her second husband.
She began receiving messages from Jesus and Mary after visiting Medjugorje.
Her messages are very similary to those from the Medjugorje "seers".
Her work and writings have not been approved by the church.
Her writings are unremarkable as they contain no prophesy, no warnings, etc.
The only imprimatur she has was given by a 75 year old Bishop in the Phillipines.

Her ordinary in Ireland only says of her works, "In so far as I am able to judge, she is orthodox in her writings and teaching. Her spirituality and the spiritual path that she proposes to those who wish to accept it are in conformity with the teachings of the Church and of the great spiritual writers of the past and present."

As you can see from the above there are many questions about Ann and until they are answered people should be cautious.

Interestingly enough Catholic Planet found Ann to be reliable and trustworthy which I do not accept based upon the above. Go to http://catholicplanet.com/apparitions/true16.htm for their write up. I disagree with Catholic Planet because I believe her writings on Purgatory are false and conflict with Church teaching.

The fact that priests are involved in these movements is not proof they are worthy of belief. Keep in mind that there has been substantial controversy someof the priests involved in Medjugorje and that Medjugorje is not approved by the Church as worthy of belief.

I will remain separate from these kind of people until the Church speaks on them. I frankly doubt that Medjugorje, Ann a lay apostle, Christina or Barnabus will find Church approval. I will instead focus on approved sites which are numerous. Recently the Church approved the appearances of Our Lady at Champion, Wisconsin, I plan to visit Champion next year.

God Bless,



Mike Malone
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Jan 2, '11, 1:04 am
Vince1022 Vince1022 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 25, 2010
Posts: 1,614
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Private Revelation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtHo View Post
What is the official Vatican view point on Private Revelation like those of Christina Gallagher and/or Barnabas Nwoye? I know several people who believe in the revelations and recite special prayers.

I have reviewed the prayers like the Chaplets of Precious Blood and it seems to be harmless. The material that I have read also seems harmless; however, the prayer houses of Christina Gallagher seems a little odd. Why would Jesus have people go to a special prayer house for salvation and not a Catholic Church.

On the defense of the prayer houses the mass and confessions are is done by Priest that are in good standing with the Church.

Any comments.
In general, the Vatican has no official view on private revelation.

Where such alleged revelation contradicts the Church, though, the Vatican would typically communicate such clearly.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Jan 2, '11, 2:35 am
hartleymartin hartleymartin is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: September 16, 2010
Posts: 121
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Private Revelation

There are all sorts of private revelation all the time. For example, a call to priesthood or religious life is a form of private revelation. It's too bad that so many are vague in their explanations of their call.

However, private revelations are just that... private. They are intended for you and for you alone. Sometimes these revelations are shared so as to witness to the faith. If any private revelation is in any way contradictory to the doctrine of the Catholic Church, then it cannot be from God.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Jan 2, '11, 3:25 am
thistle thistle is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: August 23, 2005
Posts: 20,150
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Private Revelation

Archdiocese of Tuam
Re: Work of Mrs Christina Gallagher at the ‘House of Prayer” at Achill
Statement of Archbishop Neary, February 29th, 2008
The Tuam Diocesan Office has recently received a considerable number of media enquiries
regarding this matter. In 1996 I established a diocesan commission of enquiry to
investigate certain claims regarding and emanating from this work. In 1997, acting on foot
of a report from the commission, I issued a lengthy public statement to the effect, in
essence, that no evidence of supernatural phenomena had been observed but that the
persons involved gave every evidence of good faith. Arising from that, I proposed a basic
canonical structure that would gradually integrate the work of the House into the life of
Achill Parish and the Archdiocese. While this was then attempted by the Archdiocese, I
became increasingly perturbed by an apparent absence of enthusiasm on the parts of Mrs
Gallagher and her associates. The relationship deteriorated to the extent that Mrs.
Gallagher, in July, 1998, closed the ‘House of Prayer’ at Achill, expressing to the media at
the time a sense of having been harshly treated by the Archdiocese. In order to clarify the
issue for the faithful I issued another statement, regretting the development and expressing
grave misgivings as to the wisdom with which Mrs Gallagher had been advised and had
acted in the matter.
Diocesan efforts to integrate this work ended in July, 1998 when it was closed by Mrs.
Gallagher. Celebration of the sacraments and reservation of the Blessed Sacrament at the
‘House of Prayer’ are not permitted. Any work carried on since then has been entirely of a
private nature and has no Church approval whatever. Neither, for reasons given above,
does such work enjoy the confidence of the Diocesan authorities. Nothing has been
brought to my attention to indicate that I should change from this position in the future.
Over the years since then, the Tuam Diocesan Office has clearly and consistently replied to
enquiries in respect of this work, which Mrs. Gallagher recommenced.
Untitled Document http://www.tuamarchdiocese.org/hseofprayer.htm
6 of 6 3/7/2008 2:28 PM
I respect the faith and devotion of many people who have been impressed by this work in
the past, some of whom have expressed their sadness at my stance. Finally, I wish toremind
all Church members that they should not hesitate to enquire, as a matter of course, at local
diocesan offices regarding the standing of any work describing itself as Catholic, should
they be in doubt.
In summary the ‘House of Prayer’ has no Church approval and the work does not enjoy the
confidence of the diocesan authorities.

Copies of my public statements are available on www.tuamarchdiocese.org/news.
Signed _______________
+ MIchael Neary
Archbishop of Tuam
29th of February, 2008
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Jan 2, '11, 4:32 am
laszlo laszlo is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 1, 2010
Posts: 2,511
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Private Revelation

67 Throughout the ages, there have been so-called "private" revelations, some of which have been recognized by the authority of the Church. They do not belong, however, to the deposit of faith. It is not their role to improve or complete Christ's definitive Revelation, but to help live more fully by it in a certain period of history. Guided by the Magisterium of the Church, the sensus fidelium knows how to discern and welcome in these revelations whatever constitutes an authentic call of Christ or his saints to the Church.

Christian faith cannot accept "revelations" that claim to surpass or correct the Revelation of which Christ is the fulfillment, as is the case in certain non-Christian religions and also in certain recent sects which base themselves on such "revelations".

http://www.vatican.va/archive/catechism/p1s1c2a1.htm
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Jan 2, '11, 8:28 pm
Iowa Mike Iowa Mike is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: December 28, 2006
Posts: 933
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Private Revelation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartleymartin View Post
There are all sorts of private revelation all the time. For example, a call to priesthood or religious life is a form of private revelation. It's too bad that so many are vague in their explanations of their call.

However, private revelations are just that... private. They are intended for you and for you alone. Sometimes these revelations are shared so as to witness to the faith. If any private revelation is in any way contradictory to the doctrine of the Catholic Church, then it cannot be from God.
I believe that with the recent Vatican approval of the apparition of Our Blessed Lady (the Lady of Good Help) in Champion, Wisconsin there are now 12 Church approved appearances of Mary.

However I think it not accurate to say that private revelation is intended only for the recipient and the recipient alone. At Lourdes, Fatima (the three secrets of Fatima), Akita etc. Our Lady gave messages or warnings that she wanted to be communicated to the world. While Catholics are not required to believe in any private revelation the Church, after a thorough investigation, will find that the site is or is not worthy of belief.



God Bless,



Iowa Mike
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Jan 3, '11, 5:33 am
hartleymartin hartleymartin is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: September 16, 2010
Posts: 121
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Private Revelation

If a revelation carries an instruction to spread it to the world then obviously it's not a private revelation!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Jan 3, '11, 8:32 am
Iowa Mike Iowa Mike is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: December 28, 2006
Posts: 933
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Private Revelation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartleymartin View Post
If a revelation carries an instruction to spread it to the world then obviously it's not a private revelation!
Of course it is private revelation precisely because it was given privately.

This is why Marion apparitions so controversial. They are given in private, often to poor and underprivileged people, they contain weighty messages or requests and those that receive the messages often go through a lot of trial before being believed and before they can fulfill Mary's requests. Appearances at each of these apparitions were few in number; 3 at La Salet, 3 at Champion, 6 at Fatima and 3 at Akita. Also these sites have been an ongoing source of miracles and those that received the messages from Mary have been called to some form of consecrated life or a life of prayer and service. All of these appearances have been deemed worthy of belief by the Church after an exhaustive investigation.

Then came Medjugorije with it's 11 or 12 seers who claim to received thousands and thousands of messages from Our Lady. But these messages are different. They are simply light spiritual messages that call for prayer. I've read a good many of the messages and find them to be nothing special. There are no grave warnings, no significant requests and I dare say the locutions attributed to Mary and Jesus simply are not believable to me. None of the seers have been called to religious life, in fact most have made big money associated with their Medjugorije celebrity, their local ordinary does not support them, their founder has been defrocked and a great deal of controversy clouds all of Medjugorije. The Vatican is now studying Medjugorije and I await their findings.

Then came Christina.....

Then came Barnabas.....

The one thing I believe Medjugorije, Christina, Ann a lay apostle and Barnabas have in common is their drive to sell their wares, their books, their seminars, their pamphlets, etc.

In my opinion we all should wait for the Church to rule on whether these claimed seers are 'worthy of belief'.

God Bless,


Iowa Mike
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Jan 4, '11, 3:46 pm
hawkeye hawkeye is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 14, 2004
Posts: 1,150
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Private Revelation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtHo View Post
Why would Jesus have people go to a special prayer house for salvation and not a Catholic Church.
It's been awhile since I've been there, and I've been down there several times.

One thing I found puzzling was, that there is a Catholic Church on the left on the way down to the house of prayer. (100 yrds Approx) from the house of prayer.

I'm not sure, think it's Christ the King Church, but I was in it, and it does seem a bit strange IE; it has a Tabernacle (obvious) so why would we need another 100 yrds away ?

So we pass Jesus in the Tabernacle, and go to a house with none ?

Quote:
On the defense of the prayer houses the mass and confessions are is done by Priest that are in good standing with the Church.

Any comments.
Well when I went there first there was Confessions, but there are a few huts at the back of the house, but I don't think Confessions can be availed of now at the house.

My conclusion, and I'm fallible is I now do not believe in Christina Gallagher, Joe Cole, and quite a few other unmentionables.

I believe in Fatima and Lourdes, Our Lady of Guadalupe etc; but more importantly, " I believe in God" regardless of so-called private revelation.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Jan 5, '11, 12:54 am
CurtHo CurtHo is offline
Observing Member
 
Join Date: October 3, 2010
Posts: 3
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Private Revelation

Oh, I did look at catholicplanet and the research that I found on them was a little more than disturbing. Not a very good source of information on too much of anything. Thanks anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Jan 5, '11, 10:32 pm
Vince1022 Vince1022 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 25, 2010
Posts: 1,614
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Private Revelation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartleymartin View Post
If a revelation carries an instruction to spread it to the world then obviously it's not a private revelation!
Not true.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Jan 6, '11, 7:39 am
Iowa Mike Iowa Mike is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: December 28, 2006
Posts: 933
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Private Revelation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtHo View Post
Oh, I did look at catholicplanet and the research that I found on them was a little more than disturbing. Not a very good source of information on too much of anything. Thanks anyway.
I am not touting catholicplanet. If you noticed I don't agree with their thoughts on Ann a lay apostle and I don't agree with a lot of other observations they make. However, some of their points are valid and can be verified independently via the CCC, Congregation for Divine Worship, Council of Trent, the teachings of the saints etc. I suggest that people look skeptically at these self proclaimed seers because there is a lot of evidence out there that they are false.

God Bless,


Iowa Mike
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Bookmarks

Tags
private revelations

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8448Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: jerrythetrucker
5139CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: hopeful01
4424Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3863SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3733Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: DesertSister62
3315Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
3280Poems and Reflections
Last by: tonyg
3223Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: Rifester
3107For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: flower lady



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 8:12 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.