Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 6, '11, 10:06 am

Unhappy Countering spiritual attack?

Hello all!
I am reaching the end of my neophyte year as a Catholic, and as I, with the Lord's help, am comforming my life to His will more and more, I am experiencing what I am now convinced is spiritual attacks. During the period of time when my husband and I were taking our CCL NFP classes, as we were examining our activities and entertainment and behavior, as I made the decision to veil in Church, as I considered beginning a blog devoted to my journey - during all these times, I had such horrible inner experiences, as did my husband, and it began to affect our normally rock-solid relationship. Now we have been able to look back and identify these periods as times when we were under spiritual attack. For example, there have been times very recently when nasty curses and vile, evil words have appeared in my thoughts. This type of language and thought pattern is completely out of character for me. I am also a quite happy, content person, who doesn't tend to be melancholy. Yet these curses, once they appeared in my thoughts, I accepted them and repeated them over and over to myself, telling myself such horrible things that are totally untrue about myself. This lasted for a bit less than 24 hours, some moments were so horrible, while others were milder. The scariest part of all was an insistent voice that was NOT my own that told me that I was so worthless that I should just end my life, no one would care. Well THAT made me sit up and pay attention! I began to consider "from what source are these vile thoughts coming?" And I began to reject what I knew to be untrue, and cling to the truth of my value and dignity in Christ.
But it really terrified me, and it terrified me even further when my husband confirmed that he has had some very similar experiences as of late. What may we do to combat this? We are new Catholics, but not new Christians. But while our childhood church affirmed the reality of spiritual warfare, my parents never spoke of this in the home, so I have no tools to do battle. I was shocked and amazed to hear Father Corapi speak once on EWTN about this reality. What can we do to arm ourselves, as we continue to go deeper into the Catholic faith and grow in the Lord?
Old Jan 6, '11, 10:19 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Countering spiritual attack?

Well the basics..

Demons enter a life through sin, through things that offend God, and gain influence and authority/power over a person through these things. A certain justice..?

So..

Get rid of the TV. Get rid of anything in the house that might displease God, books, media, etc.

Some people limit themselves to a Catholic channel and rented religious videos/documentaries. It's better to get rid of it, truly.

Practice moderation in computer use, and in listening to even good music. Practice temperance in all things. The demons can more easily influence minds the more the person is under the control of the passions, and in a passive state that is entered into by computer/tv use, and similar activities that produce a more passive/receptive state of mind.

So temperance is very necessary, and working on self control to overcome demonic influences. Moderation, temperance, modesty.

Get a whole lot of St. Benedict medals. Bury four at the four corners of your house's foundation. Keep them about the house. The exorcism blessings will have a long term good effect. Wear a blessed St. Benedict crucifix.

Keep a jar of holy water blessed with the old Roman Ritual, not the newer Book of Blessings.

Say a novena for your house's protection and consecration to God, and have it blessed by a priest. And do what is necessary so that the house truly is a more sacred place, with less secular/profane material in it. Less is more.

When the environment is good of the home, and the interior life is one of temperance, demonic attacks will be much weaker.

The writings of the saints contain so much information on how to deal with spiritual attacks. So, go to the saints, and read.

And of course rely on devotion to the Eucharist, and Our Lady and St. Michael in your prayers.
Old Jan 6, '11, 10:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin View Post
Well the basics..

Demons enter a life through sin, through things that offend God, and gain influence and authority/power over a person through these things. A certain justice..?

So..

Get rid of the TV. Get rid of anything in the house that might displease God, books, media, etc.

Some people limit themselves to a Catholic channel and rented religious videos/documentaries. It's better to get rid of it, truly.

Practice moderation in computer use, and in listening to even good music. Practice temperance in all things. The demons can more easily influence minds the more the person is under the control of the passions, and in a passive state that is entered into by computer/tv use, and similar activities that produce a more passive/receptive state of mind.

So temperance is very necessary, and working on self control to overcome demonic influences. Moderation, temperance, modesty.

Get a whole lot of St. Benedict medals. Bury four at the four corners of your house's foundation. Keep them about the house. The exorcism blessings will have a long term good effect. Wear a blessed St. Benedict crucifix.

Keep a jar of holy water blessed with the old Roman Ritual, not the newer Book of Blessings.

Say a novena for your house's protection and consecration to God, and have it blessed by a priest. And do what is necessary so that the house truly is a more sacred place, with less secular/profane material in it. Less is more.

When the environment is good of the home, and the interior life is one of temperance, demonic attacks will be much weaker.

The writings of the saints contain so much information on how to deal with spiritual attacks. So, go to the saints, and read.

And of course rely on devotion to the Eucharist, and Our Lady and St. Michael in your prayers.
Wow, Shin, thank you so much for all of these good ideas! I will research on all these things, so that I can better understand what you are describing (so much of this is still so new to me). And you are right about the TV and computer; that was one of the first things my husband and I evaluated. We are still whittling away at more and more things we used to "enjoy" but now find repugnant. We are cancelling paid TV, and may or may not get an antenna for over-the-air networks for news and such. We have subscribed to NetFlix so that we can order loads of Christian/Catholic inspirational films and documentaries. We have thrown out much of our DVD collection, but as time goes on, there are more movies I want to pitch and fewer that hold any value.
We have also recently hung up a beautiful antique crucifix that belonged to my grandmother (who was also Catholic). We hung it up just above our wedding portrait so that we will always be reminded Whom it is that we serve. My husband and I want to order a couple of holy water fonts, as funds allow, perhaps next week. I would also like to order more simple crucifixes or perhaps some sacred artwork.
I am eager to learn more about all these things you mention. And yes, I will continue to go through our home, pitching everything that is not beneficial and Godly. My husband is also becoming increasingly eager to make our home truly Christian and Catholic. We have both discovered how following God's will for one's life is its own reward! And how God blesses those who are obedient (and I mean true blessings, not 'prosperity gospel' blessings).
Old Jan 6, '11, 10:55 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278

I have a question about the Saint Benedict Medals at the four corners of the home. What can one do if one lives in an apartment building and simply can't bury Saint Benedict's Medals at the four corners of the home? I mean, I live in an apartment complex which is an apartment enclosed in a single larger building. What can I do?

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Jan 6, '11, 11:02 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post
I have a question about the Saint Benedict Medals at the four corners of the home. What can one do if one lives in an apartment building and simply can't bury Saint Benedict's Medals at the four corners of the home? I mean, I live in an apartment complex which is an apartment enclosed in a single larger building. What can I do?
Well, I think one could put them at the corners of the apartment building, or roughly around the exterior where your apartment is, or simply, put them in the interior of the apartment, in the corners there.

One's best judgement call there.

You almost cannot have too many of the these medals, they are very helpful and have a noticeable longterm good spiritual effect.

If you're suffering from any physical ailments, they can help, especially if the cause is from an evil source, but not only -- kept touched to whatever body part is affected.
Old Jan 6, '11, 11:08 am
Book Club Member

I've actually put them at the four corners of where I go to sleep as well. Helps, and there is even more you can do with them to prevent spiritual attacks when asleep if it's severe.

I'll note that one way some people just beginning to gain some discernment can learn to discern that in fact they are under spiritual attack, if they suspect it but nevertheless are doubtful for various reasons -- is to use holy water, whenever evil thoughts trouble a person, making the sign of the cross.

If you have trouble finding a priest to properly bless these medals, one place one might be able to get them already blessed would be Rose Scapular, though you'll have to call. I think that'll be alright with them as long as they're not overextended. They have a very venerable old priest who blesses them, and one can acquire a packet for a donation.
Old Jan 6, '11, 11:19 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommamaree View Post
Wow, Shin, thank you so much for all of these good ideas! I will research on all these things, so that I can better understand what you are describing (so much of this is still so new to me). And you are right about the TV and computer; that was one of the first things my husband and I evaluated. We are still whittling away at more and more things we used to "enjoy" but now find repugnant. We are cancelling paid TV, and may or may not get an antenna for over-the-air networks for news and such. We have subscribed to NetFlix so that we can order loads of Christian/Catholic inspirational films and documentaries. We have thrown out much of our DVD collection, but as time goes on, there are more movies I want to pitch and fewer that hold any value.
We have also recently hung up a beautiful antique crucifix that belonged to my grandmother (who was also Catholic). We hung it up just above our wedding portrait so that we will always be reminded Whom it is that we serve. My husband and I want to order a couple of holy water fonts, as funds allow, perhaps next week. I would also like to order more simple crucifixes or perhaps some sacred artwork.
I am eager to learn more about all these things you mention. And yes, I will continue to go through our home, pitching everything that is not beneficial and Godly. My husband is also becoming increasingly eager to make our home truly Christian and Catholic. We have both discovered how following God's will for one's life is its own reward! And how God blesses those who are obedient (and I mean true blessings, not 'prosperity gospel' blessings).
Thanks be to God from whom all blessings flow! I'm very happy to hear about it!

One priest who's written a good deal about the problems of T.V., Fr. Frank Poncelet, compared having a TV that shows immoral programs to putting up a painting in your house with the image. We have to be careful about what we keep in our homes!

I've been flashed by some movies about the saints which pretty much was a deciding point for me.

Listening to our Lord's name taken in vain as we ourselves produce it by turning on the device that plays it, certainly is a great problem.. And people become accustomed to it, so they no longer care. But when you get out of the water, then you become sensitive again and realize how bad it was!

As time goes by I more and more trace so many spiritual problems to the television and immoral media of all kinds. Less is more! The more spartan life with fewer possessions truly helps the spiritual life so very much!

I remember when I first got a holy water font.. They can be so lovely. But I kept on having to refill it so often, a large jar just suits me fine. Practical!
Old Jan 6, '11, 11:24 am
Book Club Member

Making an act of love of God, or perfect contrition also helps with blasphemous and similar thought attacks, in general.

Prayer of all kinds when attacked helps! St. Michael.. the basics, Our Father, Ave Maria..

But focusing especially on love of God, in all subjection and contrition to His will.. is a great counter too.

We need to be careful not to provide mental material for these attacks through our activities I might add, another reason for avoiding the bad stuff.
Old Jan 6, '11, 11:54 am

Quote:
Thanks be to God from whom all blessings flow! I'm very happy to hear about it!
As time goes by I more and more trace so many spiritual problems to the television and immoral media of all kinds.
Yes, this is sad, but true. I've told my husband that I have come to view TV and the internet as a tool akin to a double-edged sword. One may, if properly trained, be able to use them for good and holy things. But for the untrained, it is more likely that one will just destroy oneself and others with them. Because of our awareness that as neophyte Catholics with a pitiful Christian education in our childhood, we are woefully untrained in discernment, we are being rather brutal with our repeated culling and paring down efforts. All for the Lord, though. If the eye offends...

Quote:
The more spartan life with fewer possessions truly helps the spiritual life so very much!
This is so beautifully true Shin. We have been working, for years now, on moving towards an ever more simple life. With God's help, we will cut out that which is not to His glory or to our benefit, and replace them with time spent at mass, in the Word, as a family and with our new Catholic friends/community. We are seeking a more prayerful, mature, Christ-centered life, and are exhausted (to be perfectly frank) with the pace and the unholy distractions of modern life.
Old Jan 6, '11, 11:56 am
Book Club Member

Keep up the good work and be of good heart!

Our Lord loves you! Deo gratias et Mariae semper Virgini!
Old Jan 6, '11, 11:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommamaree View Post
Hello all!
I am reaching the end of my neophyte year as a Catholic, and as I, with the Lord's help, am comforming my life to His will more and more, I am experiencing what I am now convinced is spiritual attacks.
I have had a very similar experience, right down to the timing. I came under intense spiritual attack right after the completion of my neophyte year. I prayed for deliverance and the Lord introduced me to St. Dymphna. I wholeheartedly recommend her invocation against evil thoughts.

I second the recommendation with regard to holy water, but not the discrimination against the newer rite of blessing. The water derives its efficacy from a grace given by God to the church administered through the priest. Whether the priest uses this ritual or that ritual is irrelevant.
Old Jan 6, '11, 12:05 pm

I've noticed that the enemy is extremely good at tempting us to take a wonderful character trait that God has given us and go overboard and use it in a way that leads to our destruction. For example, I want to live a holy life that is pleasing to God, so the enemy may tempt me with whispers of "you'll never be anything but a hypocrite" or "you are worthless". He can bring messages of how what God pronounces "Good" are not allowable for us, that we can never deserve it, that we must give up such things (for example, the enjoyment of marital relations). In short, he lies and brings despair. Well, thanks to Father Corapi, EWTN and CAF, I am learning to recognize the tactics of the enemy! I am learning to see through the lies and cling to the hope our Saviour gives us.
I love the many ways the Catholic faith is so rich and deep and meaningful. And it certainly does equip a Christian to do spiritual battle better than our impoverished Protestant brethren are taught. I am so excited to discuss with my husband this weekend all the things you mention here, and I am eager to talk with my friend who is coming over soon to see if she has experienced such things. (I bet she has, as she seeks to live a holy life ever more each year, and it seems that when we make holiness for love of God our highest priority, the attacks ramp up a lot for a time. I am hoping she'll let me pick her brain a bit on this topic, too!)
God bless you, Shin! You have here, and at other times at CAF, been such an encouragement and inspiration to me. Keep up the good work of witnessing!
Old Jan 6, '11, 12:08 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
I second the recommendation with regard to holy water, but not the discrimination against the newer rite of blessing. The water derives its efficacy from a grace given by God to the church administered through the priest. Whether the priest uses this ritual or that ritual is irrelevant.
The words used to bless water and exorcise it matter. If you pray over water and pray exorcism prayers over it, or if you pray over water and just bless it, these are two different things, and have different effects.

A simple sign of the cross for example, over a St. Benedict medal, is not properly blessing it, and it will not be the efficacious sacramental it should be, without the full exorcism blessing.

So too with holy water. The words used to pray with matter. They have different effects depending upon what you pray. If you ask God to do one thing instead of another, you will get what you ask for. If you put in less, you get less, if you put in more, you get more.

The Roman Ritual does more. You will get better results. Ritual matters.
Old Jan 6, '11, 12:36 pm

Quote:
The words used to bless water and exorcise it matter. If you pray over water and pray exorcism prayers over it, or if you pray over water and just bless it, these are two different things, and have different effects.

A simple sign of the cross for example, over a St. Benedict medal, is not properly blessing it, and it will not be the efficacious sacramental it should be, without the full exorcism blessing.

So too with holy water. The words used to pray with matter. They have different effects depending upon what you pray. If you ask God to do one thing instead of another, you will get what you ask for. If you put in less, you get less, if you put in more, you get more.

The Roman Ritual does more. You will get better results. Ritual matters.
So the Book of Blessings does NOT include an exorcism?
Old Jan 6, '11, 1:02 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
So the Book of Blessings does NOT include an exorcism?
That is correct it does not.

What words can be said?

Well actually a good deal more, sigh. But it just gets worse.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality