Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 21, '04, 7:28 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Catholic Celebrities

Just for fun, I thought that I would like to start something a little bit provocative.

I would love to create a listing of some famous people that most casual 'fans' would not know as Catholics, but yet are (were) faithful to the True Church.

Of course I must start out with Alfred Hitchcock. The Fall 2003 issue of "The Latin Mass" has a very informative article written by James Bemis which details the life and work of this "devout Catholic" film maker.

It may be hard for some to believe that this man, famous for his dark work, never lost his Catholic vision of the world. Now that I know more of this artists faith his work takes on a deeper meaning for me.
Old May 21, '04, 7:35 pm
President, Catholic Answers

Religion: Catholic, of course
Default Re: Catholic Celebrities

John Wayne converted to the Catholic faith on his deathbed. One of his grandsons is a Catholic priest in Southern California.

And Bob Hope entered the Church a few years before his recent death.
Old May 21, '04, 7:52 pm
Book Club Member

Don't forget Bing Crosby from my own hometown. I was recently told that he never left Spokane without paying a visit to my grandmother's aunt, who happened to be the only American woman to be a mother to 4 Jesuit priests.

LauraAnn
Old May 21, '04, 8:08 pm

Loretta Young was a devout Catholic and so is her brother-in-law Ricardo Montalban.

Young's biographer, Joan Wester Anderson, relates in the biography Forever Young that she had a hard time convincing Young to let her tell the story of Young's youthful indiscretion with Clark Gable (that resulted in a daughter). She finally convinced Young that people needed to know that Young had made mistakes she deeply regretted (the affair, not the daughter).

Forever Young is a beautiful story and quite a pro-life testament; especially as Young also relates how her mother was encouraged to abort her (due to financial hardship) and how she was pressured by Hollywood elites to abort one of her own children (she refused).
Old May 21, '04, 9:46 pm

Religion: Catholic since 1976!

Quote:
John Wayne converted to the Catholic faith on his deathbed.
Karl, are you sure of this? I remember reading not long ago that John Wayne did NOT convert.

The problem with Catholic celebrities is that some of the most famous were Catholic in name only. Bing is an example of this - he was very immoral. My dh knew a neighbor of the Crosby family in Spokane - she thought they were awful!

The Catholic newspaper where we used to live had a regular feature about celebrity Catholics. Usually they were not people I'd want to be role models for my children. The last straw was when they featured a Catholic who had recently been a centerfold (that was not mentioned in the article). I complained to the editor about their choices as there are many holy people to choose from. The dropped the series.
Northeast Washington

"While we have the opportunity, let us do good to all." Galatians 6:10

Good used books at BonniesBooks.net

Catholic since '76!
Old May 21, '04, 11:23 pm
Banned

Send a message via AIM to DominvsVobiscvm Send a message via Yahoo to DominvsVobiscvm

Don't forget J. R. R. Tolkien.

One of his grandsons was a Catholic priest . . . who molested children . . .
Old May 21, '04, 11:37 pm

Mandy Moore is a non-practicing Catholic

:runs:
Old May 21, '04, 11:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Stewart
Just for fun, I thought that I would like to start something a little bit provocative.

I would love to create a listing of some famous people that most casual 'fans' would not know as Catholics, but yet are (were) faithful to the True Church.

Of course I must start out with Alfred Hitchcock. The Fall 2003 issue of "The Latin Mass" has a very informative article written by James Bemis which details the life and work of this "devout Catholic" film maker.

It may be hard for some to believe that this man, famous for his dark work, never lost his Catholic vision of the world. Now that I know more of this artists faith his work takes on a deeper meaning for me.
Muriel Spark

Graham Greene

Jules Verne

Frank Capra

JRR Tolkien

John Ford

Bing Crosby

Mel Gibson

Ray Liotta

Andy Garcia

Bill O'Reilly

Sir Alec Guinness

Aaron Neville

Sean Hannity

Robert Rodriguez

Harry Connick Jr.

Joe Montana
Old May 21, '04, 11:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie
Karl, are you sure of this? I remember reading not long ago that John Wayne did NOT convert.

The problem with Catholic celebrities is that some of the most famous were Catholic in name only. Bing is an example of this - he was very immoral. My dh knew a neighbor of the Crosby family in Spokane - she thought they were awful!

The Catholic newspaper where we used to live had a regular feature about celebrity Catholics. Usually they were not people I'd want to be role models for my children. The last straw was when they featured a Catholic who had recently been a centerfold (that was not mentioned in the article). I complained to the editor about their choices as there are many holy people to choose from. The dropped the series.
I've heard the opposite about Bing from individuals who worked with him, etc. Bing told his kids...if they ever shacked up...he would disown them. Bing also turned down the role of a priest for director Leo McCarey...just because he felt it would have been in bad taste...but McCarey finally convinced him that it wasn't...then he won on Oscar for his performance ala "Going My Way." Bing also refused to record a Christmas song at first...because he felt it would have commercialized the holiday.

Anthony Burgess was a believing Catholic as well...despite some public statements.

Last edited by agname; May 21, '04 at 11:51 pm.
Old May 21, '04, 11:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie

Yes, he converted.

See: http://www.catholicexchange.com/vm/i...p?art_id=20019

Last edited by agname; May 22, '04 at 12:04 am.
Old May 22, '04, 12:34 am

Religion: Catholic (not officially though)

I know that Martin Sheen the actor is Catholic. And also Arnold Schwartzinagger (although he supports pro-choice )
Old May 22, '04, 1:14 am
Observing Member

The first thing I did after seeing The Passion of the Christ was go home and Google Jim Caviezel to see if he is Catholic. And as we probably all know, he is an especially devout one. I could listen to that guy talk about his faith all day long.

The movie itself was wonderful, but it's almost more important that such a devout actor has had a chance to articulate his beliefs in front of millions of viewers.
Old May 22, '04, 1:33 am
Observing Member

There are unconfirmed reports that Henry V111 - yes, the terrible king of England who initiated the Anglican tradition - was reconciled to the Church on his deathbed. You will recall that when he was a Catholic, he was given the name 'Defender of the Faith' by the Pope of the day for his Apology against the teachings of Martin Luther.

And Bing Crosby was a Catholic - when I lived in Australia, the parish church I attended wa built by an American Italian order of priests, and Bing Crosby paid for it.
Old May 22, '04, 7:17 am
Prayer Warrior

Re: Martin Sheen
While it is true that he (and his sons!) are Catholic, Shenn was one of the celebrities that supported the recent pro-abort march in Washington. I'll see if I can find the site that listed all the celebriites that marched or supported the march.

Peace,
LindaS
Old May 22, '04, 7:21 am
Prayer Warrior

Go here for the list of celebrities that supported the march in DC. Many are "Catholic"

http://march.now.org/coalition.html

Sorry I don't know how to do links.

Peace,
Linda

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence