Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 8, '11, 3:13 pm

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via MSN to FuzzyBunny116 Send a message via Yahoo to FuzzyBunny116
Default List of Catholic Psychiatrists

Is there a list online anywhere of Catholic psychiatrists/psychologists, specifically in and around Dallas?

Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life."
- John 6:68
"Who is unto God?!?"

Michael
Old Jan 30, '11, 9:50 pm
Observing Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to Serenitie
Default Re: List of Catholic Psychiatrists

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyBunny116 View Post
Is there a list online anywhere of Catholic psychiatrists/psychologists, specifically in and around Dallas?
I myself am looking for such a list (california); I haven't found one yet if I do i'll come back to this post and let you know. If you happen to find one before me - will you please let me know if there is such a site that posts catholic psychiatrists?

Thanks!
Old Jan 30, '11, 9:56 pm

I'm also looking for such a list that would cover Missouri (or at least the St. Louis area). After seeing a non-Catholic psychiatrist who considered my attendance at - and enjoyment of - a silent retreat a symptom, I really want to find a good, solid CATHOLIC psychiatrist who won't treat my faith as a symptom of mental illness.
Old Jan 31, '11, 6:11 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Dissenting Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278

I would also like to find a list of Catholic Psychiatrists and Therapists. I want someone who can help me who has orthodox Catholic teaching in mind. There is one Catholic Psychiatrist/Therapist in my area but he/she does not accept Medicaid. Instead, they base their services on a sliding scale fee. Unfortunately, my income is just enough to make this too expensive considering my other expenses. I really just want to find someone who will accept Medicaid who is within my area (Diocese of Evansville, Indiana). I looked on a website of Catholic therapists a couple of days ago and there were two listed. Unfortunately, they were both listed as being in Indianapolis and one of those two was listed as not accepting Medicaid. The other had some sort of listing for insurance that I don't recall and didn't understand. Therefore, I will probably just have to stick with my current Psychiatrist and Therapist. Thankfully, my current Psychiatrist and Therapist do help some but I would like Catholicism, my Faith, to be a more integral component of their services in helping me.
Old Jan 31, '11, 1:26 pm
Prayer Warrior

How about CatholicTherapists.com?

From their FAQ:

Quote:
Are the therapists screened on this site?

Each therapist must fill out an application and be in agreement with the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church. In addition, each therapist must provide a copy of their license, proof of professional liability insurance and provide both a professional and clergy reference. Each therapist profile indicates whether or not references have been received yet for that therapist. Our screening is not a substitute for proper screening by the prospective client. We urge you to ask questions before setting up an appointment and follow your own instincts when choosing a therapist. If you are uncomfortable for any reason when speaking to a particular therapist, we suggest you refrain from engaging that therapist and select someone else.
Old Apr 15, '11, 2:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycmarie View Post
How about CatholicTherapists.com?

From their FAQ:
I am a Catholic Therapist just beginning a practice in Omaha, NE, and I appreciate this link! I think there are good Catholic practitioners out there, sometimes a person just needs to be creative in finding one.
Old Jun 20, '11, 3:18 pm
Trial Membership

Please pm me...my wife and I have been looking for a faithful Catholic therapist since a severe auto accident in Dec.
Old Jun 20, '11, 7:37 pm

Try contacting

http://www.ipsciences.edu/

Perhaps they keep a list of where their graduates are practicing.
Old Oct 14, '11, 11:06 am
Observing Member

Is there a Catholic Psychiatrist near Downers Grove, IL?

Thanks,

Bob
Old Aug 26, '12, 1:14 pm
Trial Membership

I am in need of a Catholic professional to speak with about some very troubling aspects of my life. Is a therapist as well trained as someone with more advanced levels of education? My life is upside down and I need some immediate intervention but deeply desire it to be through God and not exclusively secular. Thank you.
Old Aug 29, '12, 4:59 pm
Account Under Review

Religion: Doubting Catholic
Exclamation Re: List of Catholic Psychiatrists

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyBunny116 View Post
I have never sought a Doctor based on their religion. I have only sought the best doctor in their field. Religion should have no role in the ability of a Dr. to diagnose and treat a patient.
Old Nov 19, '14, 8:50 am
Trial Membership

Question Re: List of Catholic Psychiatrists

Is there a way to find a catholic psychiatrist in Virginia? This is an urgent situation. If someone could help me I would be grateful. I do not need a psychiatrist who believes that a miscarriage is not the loss of a child or not a potential cause of great loss and grief. I need a psychiatrist who can help a young woman through depression and anxiety and grief.
Old Nov 19, '14, 9:22 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcullen View Post
Is there a way to find a catholic psychiatrist in Virginia? This is an urgent situation. If someone could help me I would be grateful. I do not need a psychiatrist who believes that a miscarriage is not the loss of a child or not a potential cause of great loss and grief. I need a psychiatrist who can help a young woman through depression and anxiety and grief.
How about Catholic Charities? Here's a CC link for the Diocese of Arlington:

http://www.ccda.net/programs_family.php

WHAT WE DO
We offer out-patient counseling services to individuals, couples, parent-child relationships, and families. We occasionally offer group counseling for a variety of issues such as separation and divorce, grief and loss, anger and behavior management, social skills, and other topics. We also provide consultation to parishes and schools upon request.
Clients often seek services for issues such as:
Our intake process is easy and requires only that you call 703-224-1630 to initiate services. When you call, a clinical staff person will discuss your situation briefly on the phone. For more information, please click on the link above.
Agency Focuses on Integrating Psychology, Faith
Frequently Asked Questions
Common myths about counseling

Counseling is also offered at our Fredericksburg District Office.

The Catholic Charities' Privacy Practices

N
ous aimons parce que Dieu lui-même nous a aimés le premier.

1 Jean 4:19

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality