Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 13, '11, 1:58 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Not taking wine at communion

When I took first communion I was living in Saudi Arabia. Due to alcohol being illegal we were unable to have wine at mass so we were never taught how to take the wine at communion, only the bread. I later moved away and my new parish still did not use wine, due to not being able to afford buy enough for such a large parish. I've moved again and my new parish does use wine at mass though I never take it, purely because I don't know how to. Does anyone know if this is okay or should I try learn? Also, would it be okay to not take the wine if I chose not to drink at all due to alcoholism running strongly in my family (this is true, though at this point I have not stopped drinking but am considering it)?

My blog
Old Jan 13, '11, 2:13 am

Default Re: Not taking wine at communion

The entire Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Jesus Christ is contained in each of the Species (the consecrated bread and wine), so it is not necessary to receive both. You can opt not to receive from the chalice due to alcoholism, not being used to it, or just not liking the taste. Receiving under both kinds is a fuller sign of the Eucharist as Christ instituted it, but it is not theologically required.

I can't speak for every parish, but generally what you would do to receive from the cup is (1) receive the Host as normal, it does not matter if you have chewed or swallowed it by the time you approach to receive from the cup, (2) there will usually be a couple of people standing in a smaller line to receive next from the cup, so go over there, (3) bow your head as a gesture of reverence, (4) step forward to the minister, who will say "The Blood of Christ," (5) respond "Amen," (6) carefully take the cup from the minister with both hands, take a small sip of the Precious Blood, and hand the cup back.

Old Jan 13, '11, 3:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkThompson View Post
The entire Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Jesus Christ is contained in each of the Species (the consecrated bread and wine), so it is not necessary to receive both. You can opt not to receive from the chalice due to alcoholism, not being used to it, or just not liking the taste. Receiving under both kinds is a fuller sign of the Eucharist as Christ instituted it, but it is not theologically required.

I can't speak for every parish, but generally what you would do to receive from the cup is (1) receive the Host as normal, it does not matter if you have chewed or swallowed it by the time you approach to receive from the cup, (2) there will usually be a couple of people standing in a smaller line to receive next from the cup, so go over there, (3) bow your head as a gesture of reverence, (4) step forward to the minister, who will say "The Blood of Christ," (5) respond "Amen," (6) carefully take the cup from the minister with both hands, take a small sip of the Precious Blood, and hand the cup back.
Mark is correct, but for one thing... that being "Receiving under both kinds is a fuller sign of the Eucharist..." Receiving either or (or both) species is equal and complete. There is no lesser or fuller. God bless.
Old Jan 13, '11, 4:12 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, latin rite

The above is correct. There is no need to recieve in both kinds. Traditionally, the faithful only receive the host. For this reason I don't take the precious blood, but bow my head when I pass by it, as a sign of respect.
Old Jan 13, '11, 8:51 am

I concur with all the above
Old Jan 13, '11, 9:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tietjen View Post
Mark is correct, but for one thing... that being "Receiving under both kinds is a fuller sign of the Eucharist..." Receiving either or (or both) species is equal and complete. There is no lesser or fuller. God bless.
It's true that there is no "lesser" or "fuller" in a sacramental sense, but Mark was not referring to that. He was quoting from the General Instruction of the Roman Missal, paragraph 281, which reads as follows:

Holy Communion has a fuller form as a sign when it is distributed under both kinds. For in this form the sign of the eucharistic banquet is more clearly evident and clear expression is given to the divine will by which the new and eternal Covenant is ratified in the Blood of the Lord, as also the relationship between the Eucharistic banquet and the eschatological banquet in the Father's Kingdom.
Old Jan 13, '11, 9:21 am

Religion: Catholic, Obl.OSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tietjen View Post
Note that Mark said receiving both species is a fuller sign of the Eucharist. This is what the Church says.

From the GIRM:
281. Holy Communion has a fuller form as a sign when it is distributed under both kinds. For in this form the sign of the eucharistic banquet is more clearly evident and clear expression is given to the divine will by which the new and eternal Covenant is ratified in the Blood of the Lord, as also the relationship between the Eucharistic banquet and the eschatological banquet in the Father's Kingdom.105
Old Jan 13, '11, 11:47 am
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectTiming View Post
When I took first communion I was living in Saudi Arabia. Due to alcohol being illegal we were unable to have wine at mass so we were never taught how to take the wine at communion, only the bread. I later moved away and my new parish still did not use wine, due to not being able to afford buy enough for such a large parish. I've moved again and my new parish does use wine at mass though I never take it, purely because I don't know how to. Does anyone know if this is okay or should I try learn? Also, would it be okay to not take the wine if I chose not to drink at all due to alcoholism running strongly in my family (this is true, though at this point I have not stopped drinking but am considering it)?
No Precious Blood at all? Only the preist is required to receive in any given Mass, and he has to receive under both kinds. So the priest must have wine to consecrate, then receive the Precious Blood of our Lord. The laity, its completely optional. We are fine if we receive the Host alone, or the wine alone, or both. We're not even asked to receive at every Mass, only once a year during the Easter season. (Easter Vigil to Pentecost Sunday).
Old Jan 13, '11, 12:18 pm
Veteran Member

Don't worry about it.

You get the body, blood, sould and divinity of Jesus Christ either way. By the way, after the priest says, "...this is the cup of my blood..." it is no longer wine. It is blood. It only looks like wine

I like to take the blood to help wash down the body. Jesus sticks to the roof of my mouth sometimes. Sometimes I have to go get a drink of water after Mass though.

Don't worry about it.

-Tim-
Old Jan 13, '11, 5:07 pm

Religion: RC

Hi Everyone,

I have nothing against the partaking of the Bld of Christ from the common Chalice.

I am, however, really worried abt the "passing back & forth" of the chalice full of the Bld of Christ. Imagine what happens when someone accidentally drops the chalice. This possibility really terrifies me.

For this reason, I prefer to receive by the method of intinction.

Also, it is more hygienic to receive by intinction.

Just my 2 cts worth!...

Old Jan 13, '11, 5:18 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstantineTG View Post
No Precious Blood at all? Only the preist is required to receive in any given Mass, and he has to receive under both kinds. So the priest must have wine to consecrate, then receive the Precious Blood of our Lord.
That's what I was going to say, they must have at least some wine. You don't have a valid Mass without wine (I'm not sure if a Bishop can even dispense that requirement).

Lord God, we ask you to bless and protect the Holy Catholic Church.
"God shows his love for us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us" - Romans 5:8
Old Jan 13, '11, 5:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alindawyl View Post
It's true that there is no "lesser" or "fuller" in a sacramental sense, but Mark was not referring to that. He was quoting from the General Instruction of the Roman Missal, paragraph 281, which reads as follows:

Holy Communion has a fuller form as a sign when it is distributed under both kinds. For in this form the sign of the eucharistic banquet is more clearly evident and clear expression is given to the divine will by which the new and eternal Covenant is ratified in the Blood of the Lord, as also the relationship between the Eucharistic banquet and the eschatological banquet in the Father's Kingdom.
Agreed. However, Mark said "Receiving" and the GIRM speaks of "distributing." IE - the laity receives and the clergy distributes; so this is referring to the role of the clergy and offering Holy Communion under both species. It's not referring to the laity's role to necessarily receive under both species for the purpose of a "fuller" Eucharist. God bless.
Old Jan 13, '11, 5:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonz View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have nothing against the partaking of the Bld of Christ from the common Chalice.

I am, however, really worried abt the "passing back & forth" of the chalice full of the Bld of Christ. Imagine what happens when someone accidentally drops the chalice. This possibility really terrifies me.

For this reason, I prefer to receive by the method of intinction.

Also, it is more hygienic to receive by intinction.

Just my 2 cts worth!...

In the US intinction usually is not possible for the laity. In fact, I have never been to Masses where the laity were offered this option. Redemptionis Sacramentum does allow for intinction; however, the laity are never allowed to administer under this form. The Ordinary (Priest or Bishop) is the only one who can distribute under this form and the Holy Eucharist MUST be received upon the tongue. God bless.
Old Jan 13, '11, 5:59 pm

I was taught not to "chew" the host.
Old Jan 13, '11, 6:20 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosalieM View Post
I was taught not to "chew" the host.
This is acceptable, but not necessary, and sometimes difficult to pull off!

A forum for Discerning the Priesthood is now open!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments