Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 19, '11, 8:25 pm
Observing Member

Religion: Catholic
Question Info On Getting Baptismal Certificate!

My daughters making her Confirmation in April we need her Baptismal Certificate,but the Church where it was done is closed and has been for 10 years. I'm getting the run around!!HELP!:
Old Jan 19, '11, 9:17 pm

Default Re: Info On Getting Baptismal Certificate!

The Diocese has the records for closed parishes. Online, go to your diocesan webpage and send an email. There will be no run around! It is a simple task! My Father asked for one, and, it was used as an affidavit for his birth certificate! Why, one might wonder, do you not have the baptismal certificate. The certificate that dad requested actually had the wrong year for his birth!!!
Old Jan 20, '11, 12:13 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

if the parish was simply closed, the diocese has the sacramental records.
if it was combined with another parish, the new parish has the records
the diocesan office of sacraments and liturgy, or the diocesan archivist, can help you find it. Make sure your recollection of the parish name is correct. I was embarrassed to find out I was insisting the name of my son's baptismal parish was Mt Carmel, because that is what people in the neighborhood called it, but that was actually the name of the street and the neighborhood. The actual parish name was OL Good Counsel. Fortunately the diocesan archivist helped us, as the parish, an old ethnic Italian one, had long since been combined with the larger "generic" parish.
Old Jan 20, '11, 8:30 am
Observing Member

My reply is to Ohioszo I didn't know I had to explain what happened to the Baptismal Certificate but it was burned in a fire,where I lost many things. And I did go to the Archdiocese and there's a problem because all the local Churches where I had lived are closed.There having a hard time finding the records in this area and no one returns calls or mails me what they say they will.......
Old Mar 3, '11, 7:38 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: protestant

i am trying to find out where my baptismal certificate would be or how to get a new one made...when i was younger my mother had one for me, but she passed away tragically when i was about eight, i had to live with relatives for about three years before i moved in with my father, while she used to have all the documents including my baptismal certificate they where lost after she passed away...the certificate i believe was dated 1986,,,anyhelp on this would be greatly appreciated...
Old Mar 3, '11, 7:58 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

repeat
contact the archivist or the head of the liturgy and sacraments office of your diocese if the parish where you were baptized has closed
gather all the relevant information you can: your name, date and place of birth, parents' names (including mother's maiden name), godparent names if you know them, date, city, church of baptism, the more info you have the faster someone can help you. Don't leave messages with someone who does not have the job of locating records, keep calling until you talk to that person, better yet, get their email

only you, if you are an adult, or the parents of a minor can get your record.
It may be much faster and more direct to ask the parish where you are getting married, confirmed etc. to request the record, as it can be sent directly to another parish pastor.

If your parents were in the military, or migrants, or if you were born and baptized in another country it may be harder to find. For the first two, the record may be in the corresponding office in Washington DC.

almost every diocese also creates preservation microfilm of all sacramental records periodically so there may be a way to search that way.
Old Mar 4, '11, 6:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyxx View Post
My reply is to Ohioszo I didn't know I had to explain what happened to the Baptismal Certificate but it was burned in a fire,where I lost many things. And I did go to the Archdiocese and there's a problem because all the local Churches where I had lived are closed.There having a hard time finding the records in this area and no one returns calls or mails me what they say they will.......
I am so sorry you are going through all of this. Maybe if you talk to one of the secretaries or pastoral associates at your own parish they can make a call on your behalf since you have tried so hard.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations