Catholic FAQ


Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #31  
Old Jan 27, '11, 4:36 am
StTommyMore StTommyMore is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: August 14, 2010
Posts: 2,583
Religion: Latin Rite Catholic
Default Re: Face the facts: Gun control laws don't save lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascalking View Post
What an odd thing to say.

I know losing an argument is tough sometimes. But don't make things up like that. If your going to debate, at least be a gentlemen about it.
I didn't lode. We came to an impasse. I still believe that gun control can actually save lives. Had the assault weapons ban still been in effect, there would have been fewwr victims in Arizona. This is simple fact which is irrefutable. It is not odd to say that gun advocates worship their gun rights because on this thread it is apparent that the right to be able to inflict lethal harm on another human being the the most valuable right we have as Americans.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old Jan 27, '11, 7:14 am
Lost Wanderer's Avatar
Lost Wanderer Lost Wanderer is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: April 30, 2008
Posts: 11,582
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Face the facts: Gun control laws don't save lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by StTommyMore View Post
I didn't lode. We came to an impasse. I still believe that gun control can actually save lives. Had the assault weapons ban still been in effect, there would have been fewwr victims in Arizona. This is simple fact which is irrefutable. It is not odd to say that gun advocates worship their gun rights because on this thread it is apparent that the right to be able to inflict lethal harm on another human being the the most valuable right we have as Americans.
It's also a fact that criminals don't give a mashed potato about what's banned. How does your ban save lives then?

By the way, you're getting this from a guy who'd rather stop a shooter with a classic melee weapon (be it a dao, bolo, katana, katara) or even with just a bone-crushing punch/kick to the face/skull/leg/gut/chest if the laws of physics and his physical build were more permissive. Hence, you don't have to be a gun enthusiast like the rest of these guys to realize the harsh reality that the best offense is the best defense.

What you claim to be the 'right to inflict lethal harm' is actually the right to defend oneself from those who have reduced themselves to animals dead-set on robbing and killing: criminals.

If 'lethal harm' is what it takes to stop a mad shooter, then I would make it as lethal as it gets.
__________________
I side with the Light yet I am cursed with the Dark... am I alone on this Twilight path?

What I write...

Our magic is not absolute. True magic results from courage of the heart.
- Negi Springfield (Mahou Sensei Negima)
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old Jan 27, '11, 8:50 am
stanmaxkolbe stanmaxkolbe is offline
Banned
Radio Club Member
 
Join Date: July 1, 2005
Posts: 8,106
Religion: Catholic. Loyal to the Holy See.
Default Re: Face the facts: Gun control laws don't save lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by StTommyMore View Post
Had the assault weapons ban still been in effect, there would have been fewwr victims in Arizona.
How can that be when an assault weapon was not used?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old Jan 27, '11, 9:10 am
Reservoir Dog Reservoir Dog is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: October 22, 2010
Posts: 1,179
Religion: Anglican Church in North America
Default Re: Face the facts: Gun control laws don't save lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanmaxkolbe View Post
How can that be when an assault weapon was not used?

"assault weapon" is grabspeak for something the grabbers don't like. its a PC term. The legal definition of "assault weapon" expired with the sunset of the Federal Assault Weapon Ban part of the Violent Crime Control and Enforcement Act of '94. The definition of "assault weapon" died in 2004. Now, its just another Big Scary word the grabbers love.

If my vintage flare pistol falls off the wall and injures the dog, its an Assault Weapon.

(none of this to be confused with an "assault rifle")
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old Jan 27, '11, 10:09 am
stanmaxkolbe stanmaxkolbe is offline
Banned
Radio Club Member
 
Join Date: July 1, 2005
Posts: 8,106
Religion: Catholic. Loyal to the Holy See.
Default Re: Face the facts: Gun control laws don't save lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reservoir Dog View Post
"assault weapon" is grabspeak for something the grabbers don't like. its a PC term. The legal definition of "assault weapon" expired with the sunset of the Federal Assault Weapon Ban part of the Violent Crime Control and Enforcement Act of '94. The definition of "assault weapon" died in 2004. Now, its just another Big Scary word the grabbers love.

If my vintage flare pistol falls off the wall and injures the dog, its an Assault Weapon.

(none of this to be confused with an "assault rifle")
Oh ok thanks.

So as usual the gun grabbers don’t know what they’re talking about.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old Jan 27, '11, 10:21 am
Reservoir Dog Reservoir Dog is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: October 22, 2010
Posts: 1,179
Religion: Anglican Church in North America
Default Re: Face the facts: Gun control laws don't save lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanmaxkolbe View Post
Oh ok thanks.

So as usual the gun grabbers don’t know what they’re talking about.

When do they ever?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old Jan 27, '11, 11:43 am
Brendan's Avatar
Brendan Brendan is online now
Forum Master
 
Join Date: May 19, 2004
Posts: 12,837
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Face the facts: Gun control laws don't save lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gift from God View Post
Well, we have strong gun control laws in Canada and our murder rate through firearms is very low

Irrelevant.

In Switzerland, adult males are REQUIRED to own fully automatic assault rifles. In fact, the government issues them, plus ammunition. Civilians are allowed to purchase military surplus hardware.

...and their murder rate is even less than Canada's.
__________________
Brendan
________________________________________ _______
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8020Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Butterflylily
4812CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4283Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: Christine85
4027OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: fencersmother
3809SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3356Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3180Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3144Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
2954For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: libralion
2675Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 5:40 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2013, Catholic Answers.