Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Apr 29, '05, 7:39 am
Inactive Member

Default Brother Michael and Peter Dimond O.S. B. from Most Holy Family Monastery

I have an acquaintance who is very anti Catholic and thinks it is her place to save me from hell because I am Catholic and she "knows" all Catholics are going to hell. She goes out of her way to send stuff to me to prove her point. Today in the mail came a DVD called Creations and Miracles past and present by Brother Michael Dimond. On the back is a list of other videos available which are titled
1. Antipope John Paul II Final AntiChrist Revealed
2. Why Antipope John Paul II Cannot be the Pope
3.Vatican II Council of apostasy
4. Death and the journey Into Hell
5. Biblical End times prophecies II
6. Communist infiltration of the Catholic Church

Along with the video came two full sheets about "Is the New Mass Valid and the second one is 202 Heresies of Vatican Council II

The material lists Brother Michael and Brother Peter Dimond from The Most Holy Family Monastery in Fillmore NY

I have gone to their website and found it very disturbing. I feel these brothers are very misinformed on the Roman Catholic Church and are spreading their views against the church. Has anyone else run across these guys.
cmelo
Old Apr 29, '05, 7:51 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Brother Michael and Peter Dimond O.S. B. from Most Holy Family Monastery

I've never heard of them, but I'd tell this acquaintance of yours to stop sending this trash to you. And I'd pitch all that trash and not even bother to look at it because you already know what it's going to say.

Just my opinion, of course.

Scout
Old Apr 29, '05, 8:05 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives
Default Re: Brother Michael and Peter Dimond O.S. B. from Most Holy Family Monastery

there are multiple threads on these, this monastery is heir to the heresy of Fr Feeney (all non-Catholics automatically go to hell), they are schismatic, not Catholic, and the entire "current pope is not valid" is a banned topic on this forum.
Old May 31, '05, 6:53 pm

Religion: Christian -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout
I've never heard of them, but I'd tell this acquaintance of yours to stop sending this trash to you. And I'd pitch all that trash and not even bother to look at it because you already know what it's going to say.

Just my opinion, of course.

Scout
Well, let me give you some personal insight... in case one doesn't "already know".

I've seen a couple of their videos, and read much of their writings. Even have their book "Outside the Catholic Church there is Absolutely No Salvation" on loan from a friend.

What they're saying is rooted in Papal documents, Ecumenical Council documents, and various teachings of Fathers, Doctors, Saints, Martyrs, and Missionaries of the Church. So, I guess maybe that's why they're arguments and beliefs are so "fanatical" they think they're really Catholic, just because they are in line with the above ridiculous sources of information about the Catholic faith.

Just shows me that perhaps even having the teachings of past Popes, Councils, etc, isn't good enough. You have to stay up with the new things as time goes along.
Old Jun 1, '05, 1:46 am
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Methodist

I have actually heard of these guys...I am not surprised to hear that they are giving anti Catholics ammunition, because when I first heard of them, I thought that's what they were--some kind of rabid Catholic-haters...like, maybe the JWs or SDAs had made them up...the "new Alberto Riveras", you know??? Weird....
Well, I know what to say if anybody mentions them to me again...So maybe this thread has served a purpose that way....
Old Sep 22, '10, 7:34 pm
Observing Member

Some how I came across this site as well. Me not able to keep my mouth closed sent him an email giving him my opinion. The things he says is enough to give a person nightmares.
I looked up the location of this so called thing and it is nothing more than a trailer. This person gave himself the title of brother..
There is not much anyone can do about him and his anti Catholic hate site....
But what we can do.... is all of us continue to do our part as disciples of Christ and His Church, and to set the best examples of what it means and is to be Catholic. Be as bold as well as understanding. Keep with a daily rosary and Divine Mercy Chaplet.
Old Sep 22, '10, 11:28 pm
Banned

Religion: CAPITAL CEE CATHOLIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Rob View Post
What they're saying is rooted in Papal documents, Ecumenical Council documents, and various teachings of Fathers, Doctors, Saints, Martyrs, and Missionaries of the Church. So, I guess maybe that's why they're arguments and beliefs are so "fanatical" they think they're really Catholic, just because they are in line with the above ridiculous sources of information about the Catholic faith.

Just shows me that perhaps even having the teachings of past Popes, Councils, etc, isn't good enough. You have to stay up with the new things as time goes along.
"Most Holy Family Monastery" is a playact; and they`re not recognised by the Church.
Their problem is not with Papal documents, Ecumenical Council documents etc. as such, but with their warped interpretation of them.
Also, the literature has to be looked at in the proper context: not in isolation.

They`re in the same boat as Gerry Matatics and various others: sedevacantists who claim there hasn`t been a pope since Pius XII died.
They have the hide to think that they can read all of this Church literature, and privately INTERPRET it. A variation of Sola Scriptura!. They`re not thinking with the mind of the Church.

Decades ago, i read an article about the fallacy of private interpretation of Scripture, in which the author compared Scripture with the Magna Carta which was signed in 1215. He pointed out that no matter how good a Latin scholar might be, he would not be able to correctly interpret the Magna Carta, without having been given a thorough background to the way of thinking of 13th Century England.
Same with Scripture.
Same with Church documents.

These sedevacantists are similar to "Bible Alone" Protestants.
They have a lot to snswer for: deceiving a lot of foolish people into missing the Mass and the Sacraments. To them, even the SSPX is modernist, and the SSPX-celebrated Mass is invalid because it uses the Missal authorised by "Antipope John XXIII"!

Last edited by SunnaB16; Sep 22, '10 at 11:47 pm.
Old Sep 23, '10, 1:18 am
Forum Elder

Here is some recent news about this group:

Monastery accused of taking man's $1.6 million
Quote:
Hoyle learned only after transferring his wealth that the monastery wasn't part of the ancient Catholic Order of St. Benedict, which meant that he could not become a true Benedictine monk there, according to the lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court, Western District of New York.

"The issue is whether or not these guys are really Benedictine monks," K. Wade Eaton, Hoyle's lawyer, said in an interview.
Quote:
"It's a First Amendment right that we can profess to be Benedictines, and we believe we are," says Robert Dimond, in an audio recording on the monastery's Web site. "The state can't determine that, the government can't determine that. It can't rule on who is or who is not a Benedictine, just like it can't determine what is a true church or define what a church is, OK. It doesn't get entangled in those religious disputes."
http://www.buffalonews.com/city/article187708.ece

I think using the initials OSB after the names of the Dimond brothers is misleading, because it implies they belong to the Order of Saint Benedict, which they do not. The Diocese of Buffalo disavows the monastery:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo News article
The monastery is neither part of the diocese nor the Catholic Church, said Kevin A. Keenan, spokesman for the Catholic Diocese of Buffalo.
Old Apr 23, '11, 9:46 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Orthodox

The Dimond siblings have for the longest time made outrageous claims against Roman Catholicism. I am an Eastern Orthodox Priest, but I am appalled at how these two "Benedictines" could refer to John XXIII in the way they did. If anyone was of greater help in uniting the peoples of the Latin and Eastern communions, it was he; and Paul VI. In my judgment, John XXIII is a saint, and I can remember him quite well.

I spoke to the Dimond brothers twice over the past twelve years, the last time being in 2003, I beleive. They were rude, nasty, self-absorbed, and remarkably considered themselves to be extraordinarily intelligent and learned in theology and scripture. They are not in either.

But what is most grevious about them is their claim to being clergy in the Roman rite when they are absolutely not. The Abbot Superior of the Benedictines in 2003 infomred me that the Dimonds were a charade. Now that they have this terrible racketeering charge against them, it will be interesting to see what exactly their defense will be for how they have treated others who disagreed with them.

There are many problems with the clergy and hierarchy. No one can doubt this. It is just that the Dimonds, in my judgment, picked the worn men to accuse- sc., the last ten Popes or so. While I may have had disagreements with JP II on various matters, I certainly could never speak or write of him as the Dimonds have.

Prayers are needed for the Popes and Patriarchs, and for the Eastern and Latin rites. One thing that is not needed is the foul hatred that the Dimonds see as a means to some foolish and impossible end.
Old Apr 24, '11, 10:58 am
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

http://www.mostholyfamilymonastery.com/B16.pdf
Hi I would like someone to refute this please, for the good of my health! It is called the Heresies of Benedict XVI, and shows quotes from the Holy Father in ostensible contrast with statements from the Holy See. I would like more than an ad hominem approach please, this is a great concern for me.
PS I have looked at the previous threads about this, but none contain a robust refutation of the seeming tension between Pope Benedict and his predecessors of happy memory.
Thanks
KevJohn
Blessed Be Jesus!
Old Apr 25, '11, 4:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevJohn View Post
http://www.mostholyfamilymonastery.com/B16.pdf
Hi I would like someone to refute this please, for the good of my health! It is called the Heresies of Benedict XVI, and shows quotes from the Holy Father in ostensible contrast with statements from the Holy See. I would like more than an ad hominem approach please, this is a great concern for me.
PS I have looked at the previous threads about this, but none contain a robust refutation of the seeming tension between Pope Benedict and his predecessors of happy memory.
Thanks
KevJohn
Blessed Be Jesus!
I am interested in replies to your post.

I am, like most of us, not an expert and I cannot counter claims such as those on your link. I would like to dismiss them as babble from a twisted Catholic hater, but they have pictures and quotes. I would be more inclined to ignore it, if not for the fact that I witness heresies from local clergy. I fear that we are experiencing a top-down degeneration of our Church.
Old Apr 26, '11, 1:05 am
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnDwellar View Post
I am interested in replies to your post.

I am, like most of us, not an expert and I cannot counter claims such as those on your link. I would like to dismiss them as babble from a twisted Catholic hater, but they have pictures and quotes. I would be more inclined to ignore it, if not for the fact that I witness heresies from local clergy. I fear that we are experiencing a top-down degeneration of our Church.
hi, thanks, I am glad I am not the only one who is willing to settle for a simple dismissal. I really pray for a solid response.
Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord, Alleluia, Alleluia!
Old Apr 26, '11, 4:42 am

Hi KevJohn,

Since we have no other replies to your post, I decided to go back and look at the claims of the Most Holy Family Monastery myself. I started with the first one.

The first claim is that Pope Benedict prayed like a Muslim with his arms crossed in a manner which is called the "gesture of tranquility". The photograph shows the Pope standing next to some Muslim men with his arms crossed.

I searched for the term "gesture of tranquility". The only references that I could find were in articles about the Pope's heresy. There were no Islamic or Muslim references to the gesture. I suspect that the term was made up in order to discredit the Pope. The gentleman standing next to the pope has his arms crossed right over left. The Pope's arms are left over right. If the "gesture of tranquility" exists, is there a proper and improper way to perform it? Pope Benedict does not seem to be exactly mimicking the Muslims.

A further claim is that the Pope is facing Mecca. He is definitely facing the same direction as the priests. Given the situation, I wouldn't expect anything else

The picture and the argument are not proof of anything. My current suspicion is that the Most Holy Family Monastery is painting the story to make their point.

How would you like to take a look at the next claim?
Old May 18, '11, 10:56 am

what about pictures of JP II kissing the Koran? They have a whole bunch of stuff like that on their website, and some of it in fact is rather disturbing. Should the Vicar of Christ really be kissing a Koran? Should Pope Benedict really be saying things like he can understand how the Jews could read the scriptures in such a way that does not point to Jesus as the Messiah?
Old May 18, '11, 12:56 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbres2 View Post
what about pictures of JP II kissing the Koran?
Jimmy Akin, who is currently a Senior Apologist at Catholic Answers, wrote thoughtfully about this photo back in 2006,
http://www.jimmyakin.org/2006/04/jp2_and_the_qur.html

His thoughts (although thorough) are simply his reasoned views. He didn't have access to special knowledge. And, of course, his views in the blog are not the necessarily the views of Catholic Answers. Still, I think the blog entry turns over the various possibilities and reaches the most sensible conclusion.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence