Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Concierge Desk > Bug Reports

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 23, '11, 3:24 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Is there a virus at CAF?

Got this .RAM file trying to play again opening this site up - bvywiobpdvbsi7.ram.

O Blood and Water which gushed forth from the Heart of Jesus as Font of Mercy for us, I trust in You!
Tiber Swim Team '07-'08
Old Jan 23, '11, 3:30 pm

Send a message via Yahoo to Imryl

I'm still getting attacked while visiting this site. But this time my firewall is catching it.
Old Jan 23, '11, 3:40 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by po18guy View Post
For those of you with Apple computers, you may relax, since they are immune to such viruses.
Actually anyone with a Unix-based operating system.
Old Jan 23, '11, 4:59 pm
Prayer Warrior

Just got this:
Warning: Visiting this site may harm your computer!
The website at forums.catholic.com contains elements from the site phenomen28.co.cc, which appears to host malware software that can hurt your computer or otherwise operate without your consent. Just visiting a site that contains malware can infect your computer.
For detailed information about the problems with these elements, visit the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page for phenomen28.co.cc.
Learn more about how to protect yourself from harmful software online.

and an auto download which attempted to access my firewall:

bvywiobpdvbsi7.ram
http://phenomen27.co.cc/pk4/bvywiobpdvbsi7.ram
Old Jan 23, '11, 5:00 pm
Forum Elder

This happened to me yesterday when I logged on to CAF. Then today I logged in and immediately got unauthorized ram downloads, which I deleted.
Old Jan 23, '11, 5:51 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic

Last night I got a message saying the CAFS was down for routine maintenance, and it stayed down for about 14 hours.

Now, the search feature isn't functioning and the instant notification for subscribed threads isn't either.

Anyone else having this issue?

25 Random Things About Me

Visit my blog: 3 Minute Apologetics
Old Jan 23, '11, 6:32 pm

Not sure if it is related, but my account was somehow deleted. After the site came back up for maintainence, I was not able to login. I tried to reset my password and it said I was entering an email address not in the system, so I had to recreate the account. I was able to use the same username I did previously, so that is why I think the account was deleted. I emailed the system admin, but no response yet. Any ideas?
Old Jan 23, '11, 7:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by po18guy View Post
For those of you with Apple computers, you may relax, since they are immune to such viruses.
Should I reboot into Linux?
Old Jan 23, '11, 7:53 pm

Everytime I click on any thread I get this if I use Firefox but not with Windows Internet Explorer.

Reported Attack Page!

This web page at forums.catholic.com has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack pages try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.
Some attack pages intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.
Old Jan 23, '11, 7:59 pm
Banned

Religion: Yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicBoy1957 View Post
Should I reboot into Linux?
I run linux in a virtual environment, just for situations like this.
Old Jan 23, '11, 8:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbgrad98 View Post
Not sure if it is related, but my account was somehow deleted. After the site came back up for maintainence, I was not able to login. I tried to reset my password and it said I was entering an email address not in the system, so I had to recreate the account. I was able to use the same username I did previously, so that is why I think the account was deleted. I emailed the system admin, but no response yet. Any ideas?
Did you run a virus scan with updated definitions? My logs indicate a trojan was blocked by Avast at 5 PM last night. JSownloader-ALH
Old Jan 23, '11, 8:36 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayne89 View Post
Everytime I click on any thread I get this if I use Firefox but not with Windows Internet Explorer.

Reported Attack Page!

This web page at forums.catholic.com has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack pages try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.
Some attack pages intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners
My experience exactly. I switched to IE (which I passionately hate), and it doesn't do it. And they always say Firefox is safer...
Old Jan 23, '11, 8:46 pm

At this point I have to turn off the "block reported attack sites" protection box (firefox) to be able to log in to the forums.
Lets hope this can be remedied in a timely fashion.
Gerry
Old Jan 23, '11, 8:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdbawl View Post
My experience exactly. I switched to IE (which I passionately hate), and it doesn't do it. And they always say Firefox is safer...
I would suggest firefox is safer in that it is telling you that the website is not totally safe to visit, you have the option of turning off the block notification in the "tools" menu item.
Gerry
Old Jan 23, '11, 9:50 pm
Administrator

UPDATE:

I have spent sleepless hours on this issue and have finally identified the root of the problem. The problem only occurs intermittently and was related to the way some ads were being served.

As of earlier today, it has been safe to use the forums. Your browser, in trying to protect you from malware, may be still displaying a cautionary message. I am working directly with the appropriate third parties such as google to inform them that I have successfully removed the threat. In the meantime your browser may continue to display the warning message.

To try to minimize disrupting you on the forums, I worked late throughout the night with the appropriate parties to isolate the cause of the intermittent issue. In the process of doing so, I have moved the whole forums site to another datacenter which is a non-trivial, time-consuming task. It turns out that none of the forums systems were compromised but rather it was because of some ads previously mentioned.

Because of the datacenter change, your emails may have trouble being received by your email provider:
  • if you have a yahoo email address, you should be able to receive mail from the forums without problems
  • if you have an aol address, your emails may arrive to you later than usual

I'm actively working on getting search to work for you; I expect it should be sooner rather than later.

We at Catholic Answers take security very seriously. Even being short-staffed, I put extra effort into protecting you and making sure I provide you with the best tools for you to grow in the one true faith. I apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused you. Being that the ads are now offline while I rework it, we currently don't have a means of supporting our operations on the web; even the ads fall very short as it doesn't cover what we need. Please consider a modest donation (make sure to choose the appropriate option from the drop down list) and pray for us that God's continual assistance may be with us.

Need help on the forums?
Be sure to check out the "Sticky" topics (threads) found at the top of each forum for information specific to each forum.
Donate

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Concierge Desk > Bug Reports