Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Sep 10, '09, 11:14 pm

Default Re: Who is Zac Poonen????

And Pollsfriend,

I have personally met Zac and his elders. Heard him speak from the pulpit (if this word is accapetable to him). I have read his works since I was a teen. I think Zac himself would tell you to be led by the spirit, and not the personality of man. Unfortunately, the reverse happens among Zac's circles.

I have stayed in Da Costa Sq, in case you are wondering whether I am pasing judgement from a distance.

Maybe, it is his acolytes who had elevated Zac as the highest authority on the bible, ethics and morality. But Zac as a leader should have been aware of this.

And if all the condemnatory words towards other Christians (meaning lets say, a Methodist or Lutheran) were the works of CFC elders, and not sanctioned by Zac, then Zac gets an apology from me.

However, I find it hard to believe that he is unaware of his hand-picked elders religiosity. The stuff they focus on is too petty to be recounted in detail.

Anyway, wishing that you to be led by the spirit and not man. For there is only one teacher and that is Jesus Christ.
Old Sep 15, '09, 12:01 am
Inactive Member

Religion: Christian

Please check this link: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...ogId=375263963 .

I am a member of CFC, where Bro. Zac preaches. All I can say is, he is a true servant of God and like all true servants, he also is highly misunderstood, judged, condemned etc. by people who have not really bothered to check. Also, these very same ones who accuse and condemn him, are busy looking at the speck in someone else's eye and oblivious to the log in their own.

My opinion: I have yet to see another man like Bro. Zac. After many years of observing him close-hand, he is my role model, along with the other elders in CFC.

I would invite you to come to CFC and be blessed yourself. First-hand information is better than 2nd hand info.

Keith
Old Sep 23, '09, 7:11 pm
Trial Membership

Thumbs up Re: Who is Zac Poonen????

I have come across Poonen in many occasions. I have attended his services before. In simple words I can say Poonen is a highly egomaniac person who needs help. He was a member of the Indian Brethren Assembly. He split from them years ago to promote his own theology on Jesus. The Brethren Assembly still talks about Poonen's connection to Mormon (the religion founded by Joseph Smith, headquarter in Salt Lake City) religion. The IBA accuse Poonen of receiving benefits from Mormons to promote some of the idiotic theology on Jesus in their churches before he was asked to go.

He cheats both people and God with his heretic teachings. He is a hypocrite, his cronies too. His sons are married to girls from America. This is contrary to what he teaches his congregation in India. In India, there is a lot of pressure from Poonen to marry members from his own network only.

I personally know people who were earning $100,000 in the United States left their job, went back to India for the sake of Poonen. This is contrary to Poonen's children earning more than $100,000 an year in the United States, and not willing to risk their status, life and comfort to go back to India to serve the people.

Some six years ago, many closest members of Poonen's assembly in India left Poonen. They disagreed to Poonen's teachings and his influence on their lives. I'm talking about members who were faithful to Poonen for tens of years, promoted Poonen like no one else, hosted yearly meetings, translated Poonen's books to other languages.

Some years ago I have heard him talking on promoting a person above Jesus. After some investigation I've found there are numerous promotional or advertisement materials on his website promoting Poonen. I have found many of those promotional materials were false. I quested Poonen's integrity. Within few days they removed all those materials without an apology to me. The response I got from the webmaster of their website (may be his own sons) was I worship a different Jesus, and there is no responsibility Poonen has to satisfy me with his teachings. You can't question him about his teachings. His world is protected by his cronies. Your life and your family will be manipulated by his false teachings.

To the people who promote Ponnen, please don't become prey to Poonen's teachings. Do a reality check. He is a cult leader who leads members to his cult his negative energy. Don't be attracted to it. That energy is not holy spirit, but it is unclean.

Read the Bible and build relation with Jesus. You don't need a cult leader like Poonen to influence your life.

I pray some day the Indian Government investigates Poonen's source of income and his wealth.

Last edited by jesusthelife; Sep 23, '09 at 7:28 pm.
Old Sep 23, '09, 9:31 pm

I'm not normally a real superficial guy, but "Zac Poonen" has to be one of the lamest, most hilarious names I've ever heard? That's right up there with Cooter and Roscoe on the Dukes of Hazzard!
Old Sep 25, '09, 5:37 am
Trial Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurneyhalleck1 View Post
I'm not normally a real superficial guy, but "Zac Poonen" has to be one of the lamest, most hilarious names I've ever heard? That's right up there with Cooter and Roscoe on the Dukes of Hazzard!
"Zac" is not a common name in India. Looks like he westernized his long first name to short to attract the western people.
Old Oct 5, '09, 2:38 am

Keith Browne,

Are you one of those who needs Zac Poonen transfixed in your mind to frame the bible and your christian walk in its "proper perspectives" ALL THE TIME?

Here are some of my thoughts. I have yet to see an article, message or written material from CFC India THAT DID NOT HAVE Zac Poonen. Yes, there are non-Zac articles at CFC but they are written by the other Poonens.

Is CFC a Poonen High Priest dynastic incubator? Are they incapable of producing apostles outside the family?

This must be the first time in history where a man of God failed to produce God-fearing men and women of God who can teach, preach and write for the Kingdom. All I see at CFC India is messages by the Poonens and no one else. I am sure though if this is pointed out, some rejigging can be done over the net.

Maybe, Zac Poonen has not found anyone worthy within the CFC but in my reading of the OT and NT, prophets and Apostles went out to groom another generation out of outsiders.

Read the bible. Don't wait for an exegesis from the Poonens.

BTW, is this an example of giving Caesar's to Caesar and God's to God?
http://fundrace.huffingtonpost.com/n...e&lname=Poonen

George W. Bush served in Yale's Skull and Bones Masonic cult. Why did the Poonen sons help such a person who was ostensibly a pious Christian but dabbled in witchcraft of the highest order? Satan is still worshipped at the Skull and Bones (if the name itself doesn't sound an alarm?)

Here is a quote from Poonen: "In India, it has become a common practice now for “Christian” preachers to have non-Christian political leaders sitting with them on the platform and addressing the crowd. Thus the message of the gospel is totally compromised. One cannot imagine Jesus inviting Herod or Pilate to sit with him on a platform when He spoke to the multitudes. But today’s “Christian” preachers follow another Jesus. Yet multitudes of Christians are unable to see through this deception! "

http://www.cfcindia.com/web/mainpage..._final_triumph

Is this a paradox or what? Who is worshipping another Jesus here?
Old Oct 5, '09, 2:55 am

BTW, "Browne." Can you explain Zac Poonen's teachings on the Catholic Church? I mean Semiramis and Nimrod etc etc. Everyone is entitled to their views. But expect criticism either way as others do. Do you think a contrary opinion would be allowed to be posted on CFC's youtube links or a CFC forum, if one exists?

And what about the Skull and Bones? Zac can ridicule hindu practises...fine...but I have yet to see a sermon that touches on freemasonry. Is he scared or what? Or waiting till he sons are fully-equipped at the bank before they can literally afford to preach and take over the Poonen sceptre? Why did they contribute to George W. Bush's 2004 election campaign when they should have known of dubya's cultic past (never reprented).

If you have one of Bro Zac's teachings on freemasonry and other masonic cults, please link it here. And do remind him that it is illegal for his sons to carry out mission work in India if they have given up Indian citizenship. It is one of those NRI clauses.

I know his children married whites (and this was predictable way, way back then) and rednecks have a blind Republican tendency a la Bush. They also sport fashions contrary to what Zac preaches. Here is an example:

http://www.poonen.org/sanjay/

Short hair? Earrings? These were all unacceptable to us pitiful Indians. Women wearing jeans? Sin!! This was the petty behavioral control world of the Poonens.

Is there one Jesus for Americans and another for us lowly Indians? After all, if we dabbled in politics, it would be frowned by the Holy CFC.

Last edited by zarqun; Oct 5, '09 at 3:06 am. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 5, '09, 3:37 am

An example of dynastic cult? Where is the good tree bearing good fruit?

http://www.cfcindia.com/web/youth/home.php

All I see is rabid toadies praising Zac Poonen sky high and yet none of them have produced similar fruits.

When Jesus preached, 12 apostles (actually, there were 70 and more) went out and spread the gospel. They in turn shook the world.

But I disagree with that Joseph Smith saga. Poonen was no Mormon. His toadies though kept referring to a certain Norwegian church that was the only other true church known to them. In the whole wide world!! This was personally recounted to me by a bicycle-riding elder who worked for ISRO; one who had nothing but contempt for India. This was a long time back but I believe this fellow was "Bro. V. Newton." (that was the last time I even asked anything related to the bible at CFC)

Poonen was associated to Johan Oscar Smith's church.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brunstad_Christian_Church

Is Poonen's church a cult. Yes. Is he associated with Joseph Smith? No.
Old Oct 5, '09, 5:23 am

I am still digging around. But this will be my last post for the time being. Zac Poonen seems to cultivate his image carefully on the net. When I discovered this thread, it was titled "Who is Zac Poonen" and was ranked within the top 10 hits when the man's name was googled.

Now, however, there is another Who is Zac Poonen webpage:
http://www.virtueinknowledge.com/Who...c%20Poonen.htm

Out of curiosity, I clicked on view page info. It was modified two months ago, and I guess this thread was promising to be disturbing enough for the Poonens.

Who says bad things about the Poonens? Very few. This man is praised by many. Unfortunately, none of them defend Jesus as much as they defend Zac Poonen, and I am speaking from experience.

“Woe to you when all men speak well of you.” (Luke 6:26, NKJV)

till laterz
Pax Vobiscum
Old Oct 6, '09, 12:05 am

Religion: catholic

It is interesting how the general trend of conversation about Zac poonen seems to be about how one man has undue prominence/priveleges and how wrong that is..it is interesting because its on a catholic forum..and we all know that one man has a lot of prominence and privelege there too...namely the Pope... who is believed to be infallible as well ? or has that changed with time?
Old Oct 6, '09, 12:33 am

Zarqun.... what will you do when you see zac poonen in heaven with you will you continue to pick him apart? or love him as your brother in Christ?

Hey Zac is Human if he doesn't make mistakes ever...hes not human and people who are in Christ always change for the better .

Zac was a naval offficer he fought for his country as a soldier, He loves his country and does not ridicule India.

As far as dating/the length of women's hair are you serious!!????

Every culture is different us/indian/african/european/chinese ..
Old Oct 9, '09, 11:32 pm

[quote]Zac was a naval offficer he fought for his country as a soldier,

Which war did he fight in? Frankly, this is one aspect of Zac Poonen I don't know about except that he was miserable with the crass navy life. I don't even know his last rank, his "combat duties," where he enlisted etc. Nothing. He was very silent about it.

Since you know him, can you enlighten us? This is a mystery to most of those who had known him.

I have met hm and heard him speak on India. Didn't see any love for India.

Quote:
As far as dating/the length of women's hair are you serious!!????
No, I am not, seriously. But Zac Poonen was, and still is. Read the original Love, Sex and Marriage, if he has not sanitized them by now. Have you been to the CFC?

Anyway, this forum might hold the record for online criticism of Zac Poonen. Any critic furthermore believes in "another Jesus." Ask Zac.

Touch not my annointed? Has the "annointed" laid his hands on the sick and let the Holy Spirit heal them? Prophesied something that occurred accurately?

Jesus said "greater things then these you will do." Jesus was speaking in terms of miracle (check the context). Haven't seen anything except words, condemnatory words and judgemental words from Zac Poonen.

The Pharisees had a lot of words and legalistic arguments about picking grain and eating...hair...dressing style etc. Their lives were well-regulated.

You have just exposed the vacuous counter-arguments and selective amnesia of Poonenism.
Old Oct 10, '09, 4:25 pm

Zarqun i don't know him that well ...

You don't join the army if you don't love your country..seems to be a silly thing to do then...

I don't know for sure about which wars he fought in i believe it was the indo pak one...

If somebody points out the bad in a country it doesn't necessarily mean that they don't love their country and i guess the same holds for you too just because you criticize Zac it need not mean you don't love Him maybe you do this so that He will change for the better??
Old Oct 10, '09, 7:58 pm

Religion: Agnostic
Wink Re: Who is Zac Poonen????

Zac Poonen is an Indian preacher who left the Indian Navy to do "full time evangelism". He worked with several Evangelical Protestant para church organisations and denominations. He found himself ever so often at odds with the denominations he worked with as he was of an independent mind. He moved across many denominations like the Brethren, the Bhakt Singh Movement, the Baptists at the top levels. Inevitably, he fell out with the leaderships of these denominations. In the mid-seventies, he began his own house church in his home in Bangalore which later expanded into a building and a bigger group which was first called the Christian Fellowship Centre and is now called Christian Fellowship Church. For more than 15 years, Zac Poonen was also associated deeply with a Norway based, exclusive sect called Smith's Friends, controlled by Brunstad Christian Church or DKM. The sect is extremely secretive and peddles the doctrine that Jesus Christ was not God on earth but a man who carried "sin in his flesh" and was a man who became God. Zac Poonen broke off with the sect and accused it of being a cult and in heresy. The sect then launched a legal case against Zac Poonen to shut him up but after around ten years Zac Poonen won the case and more recently seems to have patched up with his former mentors and supporters. The sect had put in funds to help him build the CFC in Bangalore.Zac Poonen faced a tough period being ostracised by the sect as "antichrist" and he had also been put outside the mainstream for his suspect doctrines. But he slowly changed his tack and having cut ties with the sect, got back into mainstream evangelical preaching. He is charismatic (believes in gifts of the Holy Spirit), has written several popular books (he has now edited or withdrawn books that openly taught the sectarian doctrine of Jesus being only a man who had to purify himself of the sin in his flesh), has radio programs, and continues to travel across India and the world preaching "holiness". He is considered to be among some of the foremost preachers in India. However, not many know about his background and history and his journeys across many denominations and especially his involvement over years with this sect with which he still maintains contact and with which he seems to have made peace recently.
http://fivepts.blogspot.com/search?q=is+this+a+cult
Zac Poonen is also a critic of Roman Catholicism being an Evangelical and Protestant who believes in radical holiness.
Old Oct 10, '09, 7:59 pm

Religion: Agnostic
Wink Re: Who is Zac Poonen????

There are also detailed discussions of Zac Poonen and his theology and his links to the Norwegian sect available on www.keralabrethren.net.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions