Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jan 25, '11, 11:51 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Do you celebrate Passover?

I got to thinking today, while reading the Catechism, why don't we celebrate Passover? I understand that it is considered a "Jewish holiday" in our times, but didn't Christians long ago celebrate this feast?

Will you be celebrating Passover on April 19th? Or do you consider the Last Supper on the 21st to be a "Christian Passover"?

I'm just curious!
Ghandi
Old Jan 25, '11, 12:19 pm
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦
Default Re: Do you celebrate Passover?

The Passover is about the blood of the lamb so that the angel of death will pass over the houses of the Jews.

Why the need to celebrate that when we have the Blood of the Lamb of God who conquered death by death? Christ's sacrifice makes everything preceeding Him pale in comparisson. While its nice to look at that from a historical aspect, we should concentrate on the perfect sacrifice of the unblemished Lamb.
Old Jan 25, '11, 1:44 pm

In a sense, we celebrate Passover every time we attend mass.. One of the old liturgies had the words "Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us; Therefore let us keep the feast"

But, no we do not celebrate the Jewish Passover.

Will B.
Old Jan 25, '11, 1:47 pm

No, we don't celebrate the Passover.
Old Jan 25, '11, 1:48 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Orthodox Catholic (in communion with Constantinople)
Send a message via Yahoo to josephdaniel29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishK View Post
I got to thinking today, while reading the Catechism, why don't we celebrate Passover? I understand that it is considered a "Jewish holiday" in our times, but didn't Christians long ago celebrate this feast?

Will you be celebrating Passover on April 19th? Or do you consider the Last Supper on the 21st to be a "Christian Passover"?

I'm just curious!

You still do, it's called Easter in this country. Much of the rest of the Christian world still refers to the Feast of the Resurrection as "Passover."

Last edited by josephdaniel29; Jan 25, '11 at 2:00 pm.
Old Jan 25, '11, 1:53 pm

Quote:

I'm just curious!
The passover prefigured Calvary. Jesus is the Lamb of GOD. He shed his Blood on the Cross. We eat the Flesh and Drink the Blood in Holy communion. Holy Mass replaces The Passover. So when you go to mass , for all intents and purposes you are celebrating Passover in a more perfect manner.
Old Jan 25, '11, 2:27 pm

Okay, nice to see your responses. I've just heard of some Catholics celebrating it, others who consider the feast of the Last Supper (Thurs. before Easter) a "passover", etc.

I am a BIG history nut and think that it's a rather intriguing celebration. Though, we clearly have a new covenant with God through Christ.

My husband and I have Jewish friends and, as a Catholic, I do not see anything wrong with attending their feasts when invited. Is this correct?

Thanks!
Ghandi
Old Jan 25, '11, 2:43 pm
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦

Quote:
Okay, nice to see your responses. I've just heard of some Catholics celebrating it, others who consider the feast of the Last Supper (Thurs. before Easter) a "passover", etc.

I am a BIG history nut and think that it's a rather intriguing celebration. Though, we clearly have a new covenant with God through Christ.

My husband and I have Jewish friends and, as a Catholic, I do not see anything wrong with attending their feasts when invited. Is this correct?

Thanks!
I don't think its wrong to share with the Jews as long as you don't lose perspective on our own beliefs. We do read about the Passover during Holy Week in the sense of appreciating Christ's sacrifice. The Passover was a precedent of what would happen with Christ.
Old Jan 25, '11, 3:08 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, Apostalic, Holy, One

Quote:

Thanks!
Go for it! I've never been to one; I love lamb. I understand there's not allowed to be leftovers. Enjoy!

You could invite them for Easter dinner. Just don't have ham!
Old Jan 26, '11, 1:27 pm

The Ethiopian tradition has the celebration of a Passover meal on Holy Thursday each year.

RC parishes up here in Canada do offer communal Passover meals in the church halls and the Hebrew Catholics (there are such) celebrate the Passover as well.

No reason not to. I feel like a "completed Catholic."

Ba-shana ha-ba bi-Yerushalayim! (Next year in Jerusalem!)

Alex
Old Jan 26, '11, 1:54 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Arrow Re: Do you celebrate Passover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephdaniel29 View Post
You still do, it's called Easter in this country. Much of the rest of the Christian world still refers to the Feast of the Resurrection as "Passover."
Exactly. The word for Easter, for example, in Spanish, Italian and French is the same as the word for Passover. (Just like the words for sabbath and Saturday are also the same.) And when one attends the Easter Vigil, one is reminded that "This is the passover feast," the night when Christ passed over from death unto life. The intricate connections of the old and new testaments remind one on this night that Easter is the completion of passover.
Old Jan 27, '11, 5:08 pm
Banned

Religion: Orthodox Catholic

Each and every time the bread and wine becomes the body and blood of Christ not only is the passover observed but the sabbath also.
Old Jan 27, '11, 10:18 pm

Since I was raised a Jew, and was among the first to convert to the Faith in my family, I do observe the Seder, (Ritual celebrated on the first two nights of Passover.) However what I do, in observing the ritual is to invite members of my new family, (other Catholics) and use the Seder to instruct them on how the Passover was the promise and hope of Christ, and how it was only fulfilled by Calvary. As part of the Seder, all Jews are instructed that we are not to consider that the Exodus is something God did to our ancesters, to someone else, but that by observing the rites of the Seder, we must consider that we really are participating in the Exodus. I explain that our Lord's institution of the Eucharist at the Seder was not random, for while we do so differently at Mass, we still stand at the foot of the cross, in an unbloody manner at each Mass, and the Real Christ is present in the Eurcharist. It is how the Mass was so easy for me to accept when I became Catholic, because God prepared us to understand and accept it through the Passover Seder.
Old Jan 28, '11, 8:17 am

Quote:

Thanks!
I think it depends on what you hope accomplish by doing so. Do you honor and respect your friends in a Charitable manner by respecting their beliefs as the purpose for going? Do you honor GOD By worshipping him in a manner used prior to the one he perfected as well? Obviously not. So I think what your intent for going is - answers the question.
Old Jan 28, '11, 12:03 pm

Okay, I think some posters are confused as to what I am asking.
I am fully aware that the blood and body of Christ received through the Eucharist are pretty much celebrating the "passover". (Though, I am not allowed to receive the Eucharist because my husband is not Catholic).

Thanks everyone for your insightful comments. This is just a question of curiosity.
Ghandi
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism