Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 27, '11, 9:02 pm
Observing Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Is is wrong to like Billy Joel?

I was just listening to some Billy Joel, as I do often, and I wondered if my favorite (for 10 years, now) artist was a Christian. I went to wikipedia tonight and I just found out he's an atheist! Is it wrong or sinful to like or listen to his music (at least now that I know he is an atheist)?

I was crushed when I found out Billy Joel doesn't believe in God, and most of his songs don't mention anything related to religion but I never really paid attention to the parts that do or took them seriously (and those rare times when religion does come up it's really just Joel saying a little sorta vague thing about what he thinks, or thought when he wrote the song, and I don't think anything of it). Now, though, I'm afraid that whenever I hear his music or at least a song with one of those tiny references I will be reminded that Billy Joel is an atheist and it will ruin the music for me anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Joel

"Religion

Joel was born to non-observant Jewish parents and considers himself a cultural Jew.
My parents were both from Jewish families. I was not brought up Jewish in any religious way. My circumcision was as Jewish as they got. I used to go to Roman Catholic church with my friends, and when I was 11, I got baptized in a Church of Christ in Hicksville. Im a cultural Jew. I like the Lower East Side humor, the food. I think the Yiddish language is terrifically expressive. Does that make me a complete Jew or a partial Jew? Im not really sure.[49]

On November 16, 2010, in an interview on the Howard Stern Show, Billy Joel said that he does not believe in a god, and that he is an atheist.[50]"
Old Jan 28, '11, 2:12 am

Default Re: Is is wrong to like Billy Joel?

Is his music anti-God? If not then I suggest that it is ok. We are not obliged to boycott everybody who is not a Christian.
Old Jan 28, '11, 2:51 am
Banned

I was on that same boat, but now I simply do not listen to Billy Joel. The reason had been because I finally listened to the lyrics to "Only the Good Die Young" and honestly it's tasteless temptation with the idea to leave you christian faith and just be a free lover and all that junk...

As for your question, I dunno. I don't see him being atheist as a reason to stop listening; from what I recall the song I mentioned is the only one with the possiblity of sin.
Old Jan 28, '11, 6:25 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic Revert

Let's see here....

As a person you should should Love Billy Joel and pray for his and all atheist's slavation.

As to his music, some is ok some is not - as pointed out earlier, "Only the Good Die Young" is pretty blatantly anti-catholic/anti-religion.
I won't say one way or another if listening to his music/liking his music is "right or wrong" I would only suggest that you ask yourself if listening to him helps you to move closer to God. Does listening to him helpt o build up your faith and desire to be more Christlike?
Or does it really promote in you more of a "secular view" of things.

Peace
James

The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old Jan 28, '11, 7:53 am

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

If it's wrong to like Billy Joel, I'm in big trouble...I'm a big fan. Even seen him in concert a few times.

Some of his music isn't exactly 'Godly,' but as long as it doesn't drive you to temptation or sin (which is more in your hands than in Billy's) you are fine.

God bless you.

Quote:
"No one in the world can change truth. What we can do and should do is to seek truth and to serve it when we have found it." -- Saint Maximilian Kolbe
Old Jan 28, '11, 8:14 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

IMHO, the character, beliefs or preferences of an artist are independent of the value of his work.

Not a Billy Joel fan, but each individual piece should be judged on it's own merit. Some are probably no problem, others not.

I used to not mind Lola by the Kinks, can't say I liked it, just wasn't something I would turn off. Catchy little tune, than one day I actually listened to the words. ??? Have to turn the radio off or change the station whenever it plays.

If you're familiar with Pink, a lot of her stuff is party-hearty type junk. But there's a song she does called, "I've Got Money Now" which addresses the loneliness and futility of materialism as a replacement for human connection. The lyrics go on about how since she has money she doesn't need anyone or anything, but she sings it in a tone of sorrow and wisfulness that makes the point. I would never point to her as an example for young people, but I can't fault that song.
Old Jan 28, '11, 4:40 pm

Oh me darlin, it always comes as a bit of a blow when we find out someone we admire is an atheist. But still Billy Joel is cool and whether he believes it or not his musical talent is God's gift to him so just you keep listening to his music and maybe say a little prayer for him

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media