Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 5, '11, 10:04 am

Religion: Catholic
Question What are the advantages of using a Missal.

Hello everyone,

I never used a missal for Mass and was just considering buying a set from Catholic Publishing as it would also mean free shipping if I add it to the cart. I wonder how it is really used and what are the benefits. Is this a permanent set or will it be changed.

http://www.catholicbookpublishing.co...epartmentID=94

Can you please tell me how it has helped you to participate more fully in the Mass? What are the advantages etc...?

I thank you in advance for your time.

God bless,

Abba
Old Feb 5, '11, 10:11 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives
Default Re: What are the advantages of using a Missal.

since new editions are coming out with the changes effective Advent 2011 it does not make sense to pay for one now ( I have at least 3 daily Roman Missals of various editions that are partially obsolete, but keep them around for instructional purposes)
Old Feb 5, '11, 10:14 am

Religion: Greek Orthodox
Send a message via Yahoo to lampstand
Default Re: Missals.

I've had different missals over the years. Usually, I get a one-volume one, but that set looks pretty good. The missals have the Bible readings for every day, as well as prayers and other material that is relevant to each particular occasion and season in the church year. I find them to be very helpful. You can bring them to church and read along with the Mass. You can also use them at home, of course. A side benefit of this, is that they help you get your Bible reading done for the day.

They help one to 'keep up' with the Church, so that whether or not you have a chance to attend daily Mass, you can know that your readings and prayers are something you have in common with the whole Church. Unless your parish has missalette booklets, which are essentially short versions of what's in the books, I'd say getting a missal for yourself is a good idea.

(edit) -- Due to the coming revisions, puzzleannie has a good point- you may want to wait until the new ones come out. When they are ready with the ones for the new language of the Mass, it'll be better.
Old Feb 5, '11, 11:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie View Post
since new editions are coming out with the changes effective Advent 2011 it does not make sense to pay for one now ( I have at least 3 daily Roman Missals of various editions that are partially obsolete, but keep them around for instructional purposes)
Yes, I heard about a new one coming out that's why I asked actually. I wasn't sure if it had come out already. I will wait for the new one then. It will be available in November, right? The new one will probably be good for several years, right?
Old Feb 5, '11, 12:08 pm

Default Re: Missals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampstand View Post
I've had different missals over the years. Usually, I get a one-volume one, but that set looks pretty good. The missals have the Bible readings for every day, as well as prayers and other material that is relevant to each particular occasion and season in the church year. I find them to be very helpful. You can bring them to church and read along with the Mass. You can also use them at home, of course. A side benefit of this, is that they help you get your Bible reading done for the day.

They help one to 'keep up' with the Church, so that whether or not you have a chance to attend daily Mass, you can know that your readings and prayers are something you have in common with the whole Church. Unless your parish has missalette booklets, which are essentially short versions of what's in the books, I'd say getting a missal for yourself is a good idea.

(edit) -- Due to the coming revisions, puzzleannie has a good point- you may want to wait until the new ones come out. When they are ready with the ones for the new language of the Mass, it'll be better.
Thank you lampstand,

I will wait to order. I will definately by a set when the new missal comes out.
Old Feb 5, '11, 12:41 pm
Banned

I used to use a missal, but what was in the missal was different from what actually happened in mass so often that I got fed up and just stopped using it. I never knew which options they were going to select plus they constantly changed the words in the prayers and Bible readings.
Old Feb 5, '11, 1:01 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: catholic
Thumbs up Re: What are the advantages of using a Missal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abba View Post
Hello everyone,

I never used a missal for Mass and was just considering buying a set from Catholic Publishing as it would also mean free shipping if I add it to the cart. I wonder how it is really used and what are the benefits. Is this a permanent set or will it be changed.

http://www.catholicbookpublishing.co...epartmentID=94

Can you please tell me how it has helped you to participate more fully in the Mass? What are the advantages etc...?

I thank you in advance for your time.

God bless,
Abba
"To participate more fully in the Mass" what you need is to know the meaning of each part of the Mass. Then you begin to live the Mass, it is greatest experience in life.

alcantara
Old Feb 5, '11, 1:32 pm
Forum Elder

I subscribe to a magazine( the Word Among Us-there are others as well) that published the readings for each day. It also has some articles and a short meditation on the readings.

It helps for me not to become distracted.
Old Feb 5, '11, 3:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post
I subscribe to a magazine( the Word Among Us-there are others as well) that published the readings for each day. It also has some articles and a short meditation on the readings.

It helps for me not to become distracted.
I use Magnificat.

Helps to not get distracted.
Old Feb 6, '11, 3:03 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by asia53 View Post
I use Magnificat.

Helps to not get distracted.
I find the iPhone / iPod to distracting in church to use an app during mass.

But there are many great apps including Magnificat.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization