Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 27, '04, 7:38 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Easter Vigil Mass

Several years ago, our pastor explained that the Easter Sunday Masses were very crowded, so that people needed to arrive early. But, he added, that there was always seating room at the Easter Vigil service. He explained that the vigil service began at a certain time, (maybe 7:30 pm) but that "the Mass part" would begin at a later time (maybe 8:30 pm) so that people could come at the later time and fulfill their obligation to attend Mass. Several people I know, who had never gone to the Vigil Mass before because of its length, took the pastor up on his offer, and came into the church at 8:30 pm.

That pastor is gone now. Each year, before Easter, people in our parish ask me at what point the "Mass part" of the Vigil starts, so that they can arrive at that point. I have been telling them that one needs to attend the entire service, contrary to what the former pastor said.

Am I correct, or was our former pastor correct on this point?
Old Jun 27, '04, 7:58 pm

Religion: Greek Catholic
Send a message via AIM to akemner Send a message via Yahoo to akemner
Default Re: Easter Vigil Mass

I would say you are correct. The Paschal Vigil in the Roman Rite, iirc, is pretty well integrated, or even a single service, and is the single most important service in that said Rite, as it was in the early Church. Dividing into Mass and non Mass really damages the whole celebration, and enforces a negative attitude among Catholics in general that it is not worth attending church if there is no Eucharist (which in turn denigrates the whole of the Liturgy of the Church, which properly includes the Divine Office as a part of the cycle and rhythm of daily worship, leading up to the celebration of the Eucharistic Liturgy, and the consequent Communion as the end/goal, but not the only aspect).
In Christ,
Adam
Old Jun 27, '04, 8:26 pm
Veteran Member

Your old pastor is correct in a sense. the lighting of the new fire and reading of the Creation story, the procession of light, and the exaultet (sp?) all happen before the Mass begins. However I would suggest that people attent the full ceremony or attend another Mass on Easter morning.
Old Jun 27, '04, 11:50 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to mikworld Send a message via MSN to mikworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br. Rich SFO
Your old pastor is correct in a sense. the lighting of the new fire and reading of the Creation story, the procession of light, and the exaultet (sp?) all happen before the Mass begins. However I would suggest that people attent the full ceremony or attend another Mass on Easter morning.
The reading of the creation story happens before mass beins???
Ummm...the first reading of the load that happen at Easter Vigil is chapter one verse one of Genesis...and technically mass started on Holy Thursday, and ends at the final blessing of the Easter Vigil.
But this business about when the mass really starts, and when you have to be there...hogwash. It's stupid, modern minimalism. I mean, it's only the most important solemnity of the entire year, and the only mass of the year that outlines salvation history in 9 readings! (not including the Psalms...I think it was nine readings..I suck with numbers!)
If people want to go to the Easter Vigil, they should go to the Easter Vigil, not wonder how much of the churches most solemn moment they can skip. I wouldn't want to be late for my wedding, I wonder how Jesus feels about us wanting to skip out on some of His.
God Bless,

Justin
Old Jun 28, '04, 2:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br. Rich SFO
Thank you, Br. Rich SFO, for your explanation.

I agree that the thing to do is to encourage people to attend another Mass. But I do think that it is worthwhile to have a correct understanding of the answer to this type of question (similar to the one about how much of the Mass do you have to attend in order for it to satisfy your obligation). In any parish there are going to be some people who, for reasons of work or otherwise, are chosing between attending less-than-the-entire liturgy, or none at all. I want to give them the correct information, and then let them apply as they deem appropriate.
Old Jun 28, '04, 3:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikworld
?
Ummm...the first reading of the load that happen at Easter Vigil is chapter one verse one of Genesis...and technically mass started on Holy Thursday, and ends at the final blessing of the Easter Vigil.
God Bless,

Justin
I am surprised to read that the Easter Vigil Mass starts on Holy Thursday. Holy Thursday is not a day of obligation. Does this mean that someone who attends the Easter Vigil Mass has not fulfilled his obligation unless he already attended the liturgy on Holy Thursday? Is attendance at the full three hour service on Good Friday also required? What about on Holy Saturday?
Old Jun 28, '04, 5:07 am
Veteran Member

To say "technically mass started on Holy Thursday, and ends at the final blessing of the Easter Vigil" is simply incorrect. Lent ends and the Triduum begins at noon on Holy Thursday and ends with the lighting of the New Fire at the Easter Vigil. Maybe that is what you are thinking of.
Old Jun 28, '04, 11:02 am

Hmmmm...interesting. Br. Rich. You are probably right about the mass ending with the lighting of the fire. But I think one could be confused about the triduum, as none of the three days are holy days of obligation. The vigil mass takes the place of the Sunday obligation just like any other vigil mass, it's just on a larger scale. Easter is just like any other Sunday, we Catholics have the priveledge of going to mass!
Br. Rich, what document would you suggest reading pertaining to the triduums theology, and what all of it's specifications are regarding the beginning and end of the triduum mass(es).
Thanks!
God Bless,

Justin
Old Jun 28, '04, 12:55 pm

Send a message via AIM to TableServant Send a message via MSN to TableServant Send a message via Yahoo to TableServant

It would, perhaps, be more correct to say that the Triduum is one celebration, beginning with the Mass of Institution of the Lord's Supper on Holy Thursday and continuing through the Easter Vigil Mass on the eve of the First Sunday of Easter.

Next, there really are no parts that I would suggest that anyone should skip in the Easter Vigil. The celebration of the Vigil Mass begins with the lighting of the new fire, the procession of the candle, the singing of the Exsultet. The readings from the Hebrew scriptures - the proclamation of Salvation History are not separate from the Mass, but an integral part of it.

While it is true that the singing of the Gloria and the Opening Prayer take place after all of the readings from the Hebrew Scriptures (some of which are required at the service), this is not the beginning of the celebration. The celebration has been ongoing.

Now, my $.02. Yes, it can be long. Yes, it usually includes incense (I enjoy it!), but if you are not looking for that celebration, the other Masses are available. However, the Vigil Mass is the Mass from which we draw for all other celebrations. It is the Mass at which adults who are coming into the Catholic church, the one true church, are baptized or received, receive the Eucharist for the first time and are confirmed. It is the high point of the church's year. I would encourage everyone to at least experience it once.
-- Matthew 5:6 <><
Old Jun 28, '04, 1:29 pm
Veteran Member

Justin,

I would suggest you look at the documents on the Liturgical calendar. Many give a history of the Triduum. At one time it was Good Friday, Holy Saturday, and Easter Sunday. It was changed to the last half of Holy Thursday (from noon) to the beginning of the Easter Vigil (after sundown). (Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Holy Saturday)

Someone also posted this:
"The celebration of the Vigil Mass begins with the lighting of the new fire, the procession of the candle, the singing of the Exsultet. The readings from the Hebrew scriptures - the proclamation of Salvation History are not separate from the Mass, but an integral part of it."
No, the Easter Vigil begins with the lighting of the new fire. The Mass begins with the sign of the cross - after the procession, the Exsultet. the readings from the Hebrew scriptures proclaiming Salvation History. Which are all part of the Easter Vigil but not part of the Mass.

Old Jun 28, '04, 1:50 pm

Thanks Br. Rich.
So, if the service of light or the liturgy of the word is not a part of the Easter Vigil mass, then what is the mass?
God Bless,

Justin
Old Jun 28, '04, 2:04 pm
Veteran Member

Sacraments generally take place within Rites. For instance the Rite of Baptism is more than just the necessary form, Matter and Intent to confir the Sacrament of Baptism. In a sense the Mass is a Rite in which the Blessed Sacrament is Consecrated and received in Holy Communion. Certain parts of the Mass lead up to and some lead away from the Sacrament itself. This is why the Mass (in the western Church) is refered to as the "Roman Rite or Latin Rite". The Easter Vigil is a series of Rites that also includes the Sacrifice of the Mass within it. Within the Mass the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults takes place along with three distinct Sacraments.
Old Jun 28, '04, 2:10 pm

okeedokee, now I get what you are saying.
Thanks so much for your replies!
God Bless,

Justin

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments