Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 7, '11, 4:37 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Cancel the Cable?

I am thinking of cancelling our cable coverage for the single reason that our family spends too much time in front of it during the winter months. I am going to trial run this through Lent and was wondering if anyone has cancelled their tv service and what kinds of things did they do to fill in the time? How did you get your news/weather? Kids programming?

Old Feb 7, '11, 6:57 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic Revert
Default Re: Cancel the Cable?

Read, write, play games, communal projects (baking etc), hobbies, actual communication, etc...
News, weather etc can be gotten on-line (which is how I get most of it).
Depending on your set-up you can even get childrens programming on the computer

Just some random thougths...

Peace
James

The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old Feb 7, '11, 3:59 pm

You are not alone. I have canceled my cable TV and some friends have done the same. I kept the cable internet access.
Old Feb 9, '11, 5:46 am

Your not alone. I'm in the process of canceling cable this month.

I have two younger kids, and frankly, I'm tired of paying upwards of $100 a month, for a few channels we do watch. I've recently tried out Netflix streaming, and found that just about everything I would normally watch, is available their, for $8 bucks per month. Saves me a ton of money, allows me to watch anything whenever I want, without commercials. I'm kind of addicted to it, LOL. We don't watch much TV anyway, but spend most time either playing video\board games, reading, or doing arts and crafts.

As far as news and weather? With the internet, I don't think I've looked at the TV for either of those in years. The web can pretty much give me anything I'm looking for, instantly.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
- Dr. Seuss
Old Feb 9, '11, 7:23 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotlex View Post
Your not alone. I'm in the process of canceling cable this month.

I have two younger kids, and frankly, I'm tired of paying upwards of $100 a month, for a few channels we do watch. I've recently tried out Netflix streaming, and found that just about everything I would normally watch, is available their, for $8 bucks per month. Saves me a ton of money, allows me to watch anything whenever I want, without commercials. I'm kind of addicted to it, LOL. We don't watch much TV anyway, but spend most time either playing video\board games, reading, or doing arts and crafts.

As far as news and weather? With the internet, I don't think I've looked at the TV for either of those in years. The web can pretty much give me anything I'm looking for, instantly.
Interesting - Does this include EWTN programming?

Peace
James

for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old Feb 9, '11, 7:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKH View Post
Interesting - Does this include EWTN programming?

Peace
James
As far as I have found yet, no, it does not. However, most of EWTN's programming can be found on the web I believe.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
- Dr. Seuss
Old Feb 9, '11, 8:20 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
As far as I have found yet, no, it does not. However, most of EWTN's programming can be found on the web I believe.
Thanks.
Does netfix have a website where I can investigate this further?

I currently have satellite, not cable, so I wonder if this would be problematic. Hoe do they deliver? What equipment is needed etc....
I am looking for a way to cut costs too and, with my wife having Alzheimer's, being able to select the movies etc to watch could be a really good thing.

Peace
James

for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old Feb 9, '11, 8:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKH View Post
Thanks.
Does netfix have a website where I can investigate this further?

I currently have satellite, not cable, so I wonder if this would be problematic. Hoe do they deliver? What equipment is needed etc....
I am looking for a way to cut costs too and, with my wife having Alzheimer's, being able to select the movies etc to watch could be a really good thing.

Peace
James
www.netflix.com. They offer free 30 day trials too.

As far as delivery, it's web based, or DVD\physical media. Netflix used to only offer a mail delivery system. i.e., sign up, order what you want, they ship you a DVD, and then you send it back when you are done. Over the past months, maybe longer, they have begun offering most of their content over the web via streaming. You can get it in a number of ways, streaming that is. You can do it right over a computer, or through just about any internet connected device. For example, in our house, we have a number of devices hooked up to the TV that allow web access to Netflix. In no specific order, our TV itself is capable of this as it has wireless networking built into it. We also have a Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3, an xbox, and an Apple TV unit that all have Netflix access\software built in. It works surprisingly well. Even HD content looks great.

In all honesty, I have been looking to drop cable for a long time. This is finally letting me do that, in a really neat way!

- Dr. Seuss
Old Feb 9, '11, 8:48 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
www.netflix.com. They offer free 30 day trials too.

As far as delivery, it's web based, or DVD\physical media. Netflix used to only offer a mail delivery system. i.e., sign up, order what you want, they ship you a DVD, and then you send it back when you are done. Over the past months, maybe longer, they have begun offering most of their content over the web via streaming. You can get it in a number of ways, streaming that is. You can do it right over a computer, or through just about any internet connected device. For example, in our house, we have a number of devices hooked up to the TV that allow web access to Netflix. In no specific order, our TV itself is capable of this as it has wireless networking built into it. We also have a Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3, an xbox, and an Apple TV unit that all have Netflix access\software built in. It works surprisingly well. Even HD content looks great.

In all honesty, I have been looking to drop cable for a long time. This is finally letting me do that, in a really neat way!
Well - I may look into it a bit more...Frankly I am not very "internet savvy", and never owned, or wanted, any of the game systems, my TV is old (more than 10 years).
Sounds like there'd be some pretty expensive up front costs that I'd have to calcuate against my current service....

Peace
James

for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old Feb 9, '11, 11:54 am

You don't have to use the "instant" movies over the Internet from Netflix. You can just pay the monthly fee for how many DVDs you want to have at one time (1, 2,3) and get them in the mail. If you live in a larger city the time to get the next movie is basically 2 days (drop in mail Monday have new one Wednesday for example). I used to get 2 at one time for $13 per month and now I get 1 at a time for $9 because I can use my Wii game system to watch a lot more of them instantly with the internet connection. The only thing you really need to use your computer for (or one at a library if you don't even want to pay for internet at home) is to make your wish list of movies in the order for delivery and keep adding to it occasionally or changing the order of delivery. It is very easy.

I have friends from my parish with teens who don't have cable or a dish or even high speed internet. They use Netflix and watch several movies per week with it plus they have a digital converter to get regular local TV channels on their older TV for free. You can buy one at Radio Shack or a number of places for $40 or less, but each TV needs its own convertor for tuning. Depending on where you live and how your house is built you may not get all of the channels in every room just like in the past with rabbit ears. The difference with digital is that you either have a picture or it looks scrambled, not just fuzzy.
Old Feb 9, '11, 6:27 pm
Book Club Member

I cancelled mine almost a year ago and don't miss it a bit. I now watch EWTN online but that was the only downfall of letting it go. My little antenna picks up a lot of channels, many that I didn't have with cable and much more family friendly.
Old Feb 11, '11, 2:51 pm

You know, I think I might try this. I just sold my house and am temporarily moving into an apartment next month while I search for another. I just called today to set up phone (I like a land line), internet and cable. It's just so expensive! I can drop the cable and buy a Wii and it will pay for itself in about 2 months (and I'll have a Wii). Usually when I watch TV it's for movies anyway or my daughter watches cartoons (which appear to mostly be available streaming on Netflix).

I will use my 3 months in an apartment as my "experimentation" time and save money (yeah, I know I won't be that much ahead since I will have to buy a Wii too, but if I like it, I might never get cable again).
Old Feb 11, '11, 3:04 pm

Religion: catholic

I don't have it and sometimes I miss it but it's like, Get over it. What did people do way back when without it?
Buy great movies at Salvation Army for fifty cents each.
Old Feb 11, '11, 3:07 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejopko View Post
I am thinking of cancelling our cable coverage for the single reason that our family spends too much time in front of it during the winter months. I am going to trial run this through Lent and was wondering if anyone has cancelled their tv service and what kinds of things did they do to fill in the time? How did you get your news/weather? Kids programming?
Be sure to set out stuff for you kids so it is "there" - like lots of books, different games, different constructive toys, crayons/colored pencils, paper, a camera, a cookbook, clay, paints, puzzles - they'll eventually pick them all up out of boredom.
Old Feb 12, '11, 6:54 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic Christian

I grew up without TV (that's a lie - we had ONE station and it played HOCKEY all the time... or at least it felt that way to a kid. Basically it was all boring adult viewing so we kids never watched it) and it was great. I have very fond memories of making games out of EVERYTHING, including pencils... Haha. Unfortunately my parents never involved themselves in what we were doing, but I think it would be a great opportunity for a family to bond (having no TV that is).

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014