Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 8, '11, 5:18 am
Banned

Religion: Atheist.
Question Has anyone here ever heard loud knocking from St. Philomena?

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk
Old Feb 8, '11, 6:18 am

Religion: Confessional Lutheran
Default Re: Has anyone here ever heard loud knocking from St. Philomena?

In what way might something like this be distinguished, and known to be from St. Philomena?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohm Bawerk View Post
Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk
Old Feb 8, '11, 6:27 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkerPriest View Post
In what way might something like this be distinguished, and known to be from St. Philomena?
This is a question I have asked a long time myself. Some devotees of St. Philomena say that when an intention is answered, she begins to knock incredibly hard. It is a mystery how some devotees can distinguish between this and natural phenomena, so I opened up this thread to see if anyone is willing to come forward to share their experience(s).

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk
Old Feb 8, '11, 6:48 am

Ah, very interesting. Of course, when distinguishing even the supernatural, one has to be careful. I have experienced, and served parishioners who have experienced, supernatural knocking and banging in their homes, which certainly was not of a heavenly origin.

I am unfamiliar with this devotion to St. Philomena, so I will look forward to hearing the observations of others.

Peace be with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohm Bawerk View Post
This is a question I have asked a long time myself. Some devotees of St. Philomena say that when an intention is answered, she begins to knock incredibly hard. It is a mystery how some devotees can distinguish between this and natural phenomena, so I opened up this thread to see if anyone is willing to come forward to share their experience(s).

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk
Old Feb 8, '11, 7:12 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

yeah I heard some knocking as of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door, tis the saint, I muttered only this and nothing more

turned out to be coons in the attic

you ask almost every day about signs from saints in answer to prayers

you know your prayers are answered when you start growing in humility and your will conforms more and more to that of Christ and you become more confident in following his will. Yes some people get signs, consolations, sensations during prayer. Sometimes it is a coincidence, sometimes just a physical or emotional natural response to either the quiet and meditation or the prayer posture. Sometimes it is allowed by God because that individual at that moment needs that comfort. No sensible signs are not the common, desired, or definitive answer to prayer. If they come, thank God and move on. If they don't, thank God and move on.

If you think you are having some supernatural experience take it to your spiritual director or to the priest in confession for discernment. Do not ask 3rd party strangers on the internet, even on a friendly site.
Old Feb 8, '11, 10:14 am

Exceptionally true, and good counsel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie View Post
If you think you are having some supernatural experience take it to your spiritual director or to the priest in confession for discernment. Do not ask 3rd party strangers on the internet, even on a friendly site.
Old Feb 8, '11, 6:19 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic Convert 2008

Hum...I would probably pee myself if I heard knocking. I don't think that I would want to request that, because it could end up being a demon messing with you.

This is the first that I've heard of this. It seems really strange to me.
Old Feb 8, '11, 9:24 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic

THE SPECIAL SIGN

But the marvel which made the greatest impression on me during my visit was the following: On the ninth day, I was in a side chapel. The Reverend Mother was speaking to a contractor, further up in the church, regarding some repairs. One of the sisters of the Sanctuary approached me and said quite simply:

"Father, have you seen the sign?"

"What sign?" I asked. "I have seen so many wonders during the days I have been here."

"Oh!" she said, "you haven't got the sign?"

"If it is anything more wonderful than what I have already seen," I replied, "I would not dare to ask for it. It would be presumption on my part."

"Oh! no, no," she answered. "You have come from a long distance and have remained here so many days; the Little Saint must give you the sign."

Saying this, she pulled me gently towards the altar where the urn containing the miraculous image is placed. She had not given me the slightest idea of what this sign consisted of. We knelt in front of the urn and began a short prayer. Suddenly, a sharp report rang out, as if the crystal glass had been struck sharply by something hard. The little sister jumped up, radiant with smiles, and said to me: "Now you have got it." The report was so distinct and sharp that the Reverend Mother, further up in the church, ignorant altogether of what we were about, jumped round and asked, "What is it for?"

"It is for the Father," replied the sister.

This knock is a well-known sign given from time to time to clients of the Saint and is, I am happy to say, looked upon as a special mark of her good pleasure. And surely it was a harbinger of good for me.

Arriving in Rome shortly afterwards, I had a private audience with the saintly Pontiff, Pius X, who manifested the greatest pleasure on hearing of my visit to Mugnano and gave me several marks of his favor, one of which was the permission to say a votive mass weekly in honor of the Saint.

- Fr. Paul O'Sullivan, O.P. (E.D.M.) - Saint Philomena The Wonder-Worker
Old Feb 9, '11, 1:58 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

that is a lovely story about a humble priest who visited a certain shrine. But it is a huge mistake to go about demanding signs from Mary and the saints as a condition of prayer, or making that the goal of prayer. If that priest needed that sign on that occasion for the good of his soul at a particular sign, then he was given a sign. That has not much to do with my prayer life or yours.
Old Feb 9, '11, 9:55 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie View Post
yeah I heard some knocking as of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door, tis the saint, I muttered only this and nothing more

turned out to be coons in the attic

you ask almost every day about signs from saints in answer to prayers

you know your prayers are answered when you start growing in humility and your will conforms more and more to that of Christ and you become more confident in following his will. Yes some people get signs, consolations, sensations during prayer. Sometimes it is a coincidence, sometimes just a physical or emotional natural response to either the quiet and meditation or the prayer posture. Sometimes it is allowed by God because that individual at that moment needs that comfort. No sensible signs are not the common, desired, or definitive answer to prayer. If they come, thank God and move on. If they don't, thank God and move on.

I agree 100%...If I heard knocking I would think it is either the furnance kicking in, the house settling, or something that has to be explained not necessarily St. Philomena or anything supernatural.

In this day and age, God gives us plenty of signs and miracles but we don't stop to recognize them or even thank God for them.

Jesus also performed many miracles but still people did not believe Him.

God performed the greatest miracle of all time in coming to earth as the man Jesus Christ to die on the Cross for my (our) horrible sins. What more could anyone ask for?

St. Philomena Pray for us all. Amen.

http://www.ewtn.com/devotionals/novena/philomena.htm
"I thirst, I thirst for Jesus alone! Happy the souls who suffer in secret, known to God alone! How I love a soul suffering with patience, hidden with God alone! Once you have given God something, you must never take it back." ~ Blessed Maryam Bawārdī
Old Feb 9, '11, 10:01 pm

Religion: practicing Catholic...one day I'll get it right
Send a message via Yahoo to kentuckyliz Send a message via Skype™ to kentuckyliz

If I heard knocking, I'd just assume it's the Mormons at my door again.

Lamb of God, you take away the sin of the world!
Have mercy on us and grant us peace.

Old Feb 10, '11, 8:16 pm
Forum Master

Bohm Bawerk- If I seemed uncharitable, sarcastic, and unkind in my posts I apologize sometimes words can be hurtful even on a Catholic website.

Did you read about St. Philomena from here?

(*Please take note I am not the owner of this blog nor am I promoting it)

http://yorkshireshepherd.blogspot.co...philomena.html

kentuckyliz- That's news to me I never knew Mormons went door-to-door.

I was going to say if I heard a knock I would think its a family or a friend visiting.

St. Philomena, pray for us.

Our Lady of Knock, Pray for us.

Novena to the Sacred Heart of Jesus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LML_Rlb3E4w

God bless,
goforgoal
"I thirst, I thirst for Jesus alone! Happy the souls who suffer in secret, known to God alone! How I love a soul suffering with patience, hidden with God alone! Once you have given God something, you must never take it back." ~ Blessed Maryam Bawārdī
Old Feb 10, '11, 8:30 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goforgoal View Post
Bohm Bawerk- If I seemed uncharitable, sarcastic, and unkind in my posts I apologize sometimes words can be hurtful even on a Catholic website.

Did you read about St. Philomena from here?

(*Please take note I am not the owner of this blog nor am I promoting it)

http://yorkshireshepherd.blogspot.co...philomena.html

kentuckyliz- That's news to me I never knew Mormons went door-to-door.

I was going to say if I heard a knock I would think its a family or a friend visiting.

St. Philomena, pray for us.

Our Lady of Knock, Pray for us.

Novena to the Sacred Heart of Jesus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LML_Rlb3E4w

God bless,
goforgoal
Oh, no I wasn't offended in the least . Haha, what makes you think that?

This was a genuine question. I wasn't trying to prove God's existence through St. Philomena or anything. But there was this one occasion where I said that only St. Therese sends signs from Heaven (i.e. roses) and I was corrected by another user that St. Philomena sends signs through knocking. I had heard it before but I thought it was a myth. I researched this further and it seems that a minority have heard this.

As for the blog, that was one of the sites I came across.

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk
Old Feb 10, '11, 8:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by goforgoal View Post
I never knew Mormons went door-to-door.
Not to derail the thread, but, yes, they do. They're lovely, clean-cut young men in white shirts and dark ties with backpacks and riding bicycles in pairs. Maybe you've seen them without knowing who they were. Every Mormon young man spends a period of time as a missionary doing this. I admire them and feel sorry for them at the same time. Such nice, generous young men deserve to have the whole truth.

Baltimore Catholics join me here!
Old Jun 25, '13, 10:30 am
Trial Membership

Religion: catholic

i think i just heard a knock from st. philomena.. i started praying to her yesterday for a very important matter in mylife. a heard about the knock before but i myself doesnt know how one could actually distinguished it.. but today, while i was praying the rosary, i cant help but feel a little sleepy..im kind of exhausted alraedy and i was thinking if i can still pray my novena to st. philomena after.. my mind's starting to fall into a deep sleep while suddenly i heard 3 loud knocks that really woke me up. i dont know where it came from but the first thing that came to my mind was st. philomena.. i have my family beside me but i was the only one who heard the knock. maybe that's how one recognizes if its really from Her- you can feel it. st. philomena is also the saint of the living rosary, so maybe thats the reason why she approached me during the time that i was praying the rosary.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality