Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #16  
Old Feb 9, '11, 3:14 pm
Katrina5 Katrina5 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: September 12, 2008
Posts: 464
Default Re: How do priests, nuns, etc all manage to resist committing sins of the flesh? Or do they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beafedor View Post
Ok and I have killed 2 of my children. Are we here to tell other people's sins?
Nice way to look at it. Some people have soap opera lives and project them onto others.I prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt.

When I was in the convent, we were all together and not lonely. I am lonely now, but I wouldn't go after someone who has made a vow to God, whether a priest or a married person.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old Feb 9, '11, 3:16 pm
debraran debraran is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 30, 2006
Posts: 1,125
Religion: catholic
Default Re: How do priests, nuns, etc all manage to resist committing sins of the flesh? Or do they?

To say it was impossible for a nun to get too close to a priest or another man in any convent isn't true, not all were clositered and some did. I know it's not a large amount, but I've seen the scandals, I will never say anything can't happen. People do want to throw dirt on the church but it's not clean to begin with, it can have people who sin and be holy as a church.
The headlines just in my state made me want to eave for a year or two, years ago, none of it was a lie, ran the gammit of sex, money, inapporpriate relationships, etc. Putting it in the paper was not pleasant but news will never be squashed. I told 3 priests my son was interested once and not one, not ONE, encouraged him. They were parish priests and a Domincan priest. I wrote about that then to Fr. Serpa I think, a symptom of how disillusioned they were. I see hope, because I love Jesus, but pretending sin doesn't exist will only make the church weak.
The Catholic chruch holds itself higher and I think it should, but the higher you put the bar, the more you attract the press. I wish that too wasn't true, but it is.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old Feb 9, '11, 3:21 pm
Katrina5 Katrina5 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: September 12, 2008
Posts: 464
Default Re: How do priests, nuns, etc all manage to resist committing sins of the flesh? Or do they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by debraran View Post
To say it was impossible for a nun to get too close to a priest or another man in any convent isn't true, not all were clositered and some did. I know it's not a large amount, but I've seen the scandals, I will never say anything can't happen. People do want to throw dirt on the church but it's not clean to begin with, it can have people who sin and be holy as a church.
The headlines just in my state made me want to eave for a year or two, years ago, none of it was a lie, ran the gammit of sex, money, inapporpriate relationships, etc. Putting it in the paper was not pleasant but news will never be squashed. I told 3 priests my son was interested once and not one, not ONE, encouraged him. They were parish priests and a Domincan priest. I wrote about that then to Fr. Serpa I think, a symptom of how disillusioned they were. I see hope, because I love Jesus, but pretending sin doesn't exist will only make the church weak.
The Catholic chruch holds itself higher and I think it should, but the higher you put the bar, the more you attract the press. I wish that too wasn't true, but it is.
I wasn't in a cloistered order. Not all scandals are based on truth.
Are you Catholic? Of course nuns and priests are "human" but it seems some people like to make a big dramatic story that is lurid. Maybe you should write fiction, you might be good at it.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old Feb 9, '11, 3:22 pm
debraran debraran is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 30, 2006
Posts: 1,125
Religion: catholic
Default Re: How do priests, nuns, etc all manage to resist committing sins of the flesh? Or do they?

That said, I didn't mean to say anyting hurtful, I've been lucky or unlucky to see many things and talk to many priests. I want the Catholilc church to thrive but I hate the pedestal that some put priests on, pray for the, help them, but they are human beings and some are better like some husbands and wives, at keeping on the straight path. My desires don't echo another woman's, I find it easier to not do certain things, but I know I can fall in an instant.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old Feb 9, '11, 3:24 pm
Katrina5 Katrina5 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: September 12, 2008
Posts: 464
Default Re: How do priests, nuns, etc all manage to resist committing sins of the flesh? Or do they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by debraran View Post
That said, I didn't mean to say anyting hurtful, I've been lucky or unlucky to see many things and talk to many priests. I want the Catholilc church to thrive but I hate the pedestal that some put priests on, pray for the, help them, but they are human beings and some are better like some husbands and wives, at keeping on the straight path. My desires don't echo another woman's, I find it easier to not do certain things, but I know I can fall in an instant.
I hope you find what you are looking for and I'll keep you in my prayers.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old Feb 9, '11, 3:31 pm
debraran debraran is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 30, 2006
Posts: 1,125
Religion: catholic
Default Re: How do priests, nuns, etc all manage to resist committing sins of the flesh? Or do they?

I am Catholic, and I thought my church and neighborhood (Mayberry-like) was perfect growing up. I found out later, many sins, existed, but my life was still the same. Priests had "issues' nuns left, my neighbors marriage failed after counseling but that nuns vocation wasn't probably ever "real".
I loved 3 priests that I met working in a hospital and we stayed close, one married me, later 1 left, but 2 stayed. Over time, you hear and see many things, but I always admired and thanked them for being Christ's servants. I give money to Domincan nuns and the Ewtn and others that I found solace with and hope thrive. (hope I can meet the Desert nuns one day also)

My mother said (and she might have misunderstood the exact story from her friend) no one dared to question Father or complain, it just wasn't done. I had a friend have a brother molest her and didn't confront him until she was 20 and in counseling. Her parents were in denial. The church was in denial about many things and holy priests and nuns don't mind saying that today.
I cringe when a priest like Fr. Francis steps down and makes it public but "don't talk about it" it will just go away....it doesn't and his failing in that area, doesn't sully others, making the pedestal unbreakable does.
I go to a very reverent Domincan parish, confession every day but Sunday and I've asked about sin and talking about scandals. They exist, I was told if someone makes a public statement, it's public, don't beat it into the ground but it's not like you knew secretly and told.
I know the church gets bad press, I just read a book about that subject and why they do it, but it will survive.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old Feb 9, '11, 3:37 pm
Katrina5 Katrina5 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: September 12, 2008
Posts: 464
Default Re: How do priests, nuns, etc all manage to resist committing sins of the flesh? Or do they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by debraran View Post
I am Catholic, and I thought my church and neighborhood (Mayberry-like) was perfect growing up. I found out later, many sins, existed, but my life was still the same. Priests had "issues' nuns left, my neighbors marriage failed after counseling but that nuns vocation wasn't probably ever "real".
I loved 3 priests that I met working in a hospital and we stayed close, one married me, later 1 left, but 2 stayed. Over time, you hear and see many things, but I always admired and thanked them for being Christ's servants. I give money to Domincan nuns and the Ewtn and others that I found solace with and hope thrive.

My mother said (and she might have misunderstood the exact story from her friend) no one dared to question Father or complain, it just wasn't done. I had a friend have a brother molest her and didn't confront him until she was 20 and in counseling. Her parents were in denial. The church was in denial about many things and holy priests and nuns don't mind saying that today.
It's true, about denial. When I was in the convent we never even talked about sex. It was as if it didn't exist, and it didn't. We were naive, it's true. I didn't leave because of men, sex, etc, it was all the changes from Vatican II that bothered me-- too much too fast.
In fact most nuns left because of the vow of obedience, not the chastity or even the vow of poverty!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old Feb 9, '11, 3:41 pm
debraran debraran is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 30, 2006
Posts: 1,125
Religion: catholic
Default Re: How do priests, nuns, etc all manage to resist committing sins of the flesh? Or do they?

I think obedience would have been my achilles heel, I could have worked through a lot, but doing something that didn't feel right, even if sanctioned by a church or the bishop, would be hard. Fr. Groechel started his group of friars because he coudln't stay where he was but wanted to serve God still. Nuns would have a harder time.
There are books by nuns that have left for various reasons, vatican ll effected many and any change too quickly, is hard.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old Feb 9, '11, 3:47 pm
Katrina5 Katrina5 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: September 12, 2008
Posts: 464
Default Re: How do priests, nuns, etc all manage to resist committing sins of the flesh? Or do they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by debraran View Post
I think obedience would have been my achilles heel, I could have worked through a lot, but doing something that didn't feel right, even if sanctioned by a church or the bishop, would be hard. Fr. Groechel started his group of friars because he coudln't stay where he was but wanted to serve God still. Nuns would have a harder time.
There are books by nuns that have left for various reasons, vatican ll effected many and any change too quickly, is hard.
Obedience is hard to explain to people who haven't been there. They were trying to instill it in our minds that were obedient to God through them. They were not always reasonable and that was hard.
It is like being in the military, everyone has to be on the same page or nothing goes right.
Your identity as an individual is taken away. They have changed a lot of this.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old Feb 9, '11, 3:57 pm
debraran debraran is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 30, 2006
Posts: 1,125
Religion: catholic
Default Re: How do priests, nuns, etc all manage to resist committing sins of the flesh? Or do they?

I can see that, but not like you can. I remember Mother Anglica saying how she hated doing what this superior wanted her to do and a priest trying to tell her to get holier thorugh it. Kindness helped also, but later when it was her turn, she tried to be fair, to be kind, but as you said, with many women together, all with their personalities and strenghs and weakness's, if they all didn't do the same thing, it wouldn't work, have the same vision, but it doesn't mean it's always right. I think that is why older vocations in stricter orders don't work.


I read in facination of a nun who left after over 10 years and how hard it was to be in the world...people wanted her to make decisions, say what she liked, but she had not been taught that, it was very hard at first to adjust, but she did and is still close to the church.
There are many ways to love God.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old Feb 9, '11, 4:28 pm
Joannm Joannm is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 3, 2007
Posts: 4,268
Religion: catholic
Default Re: How do priests, nuns, etc all manage to resist committing sins of the flesh? Or do they?

If I were a nun I think I would have had a harder time wearing the same habit every day than giving up sex.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old Feb 9, '11, 6:59 pm
brotherjoe brotherjoe is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: July 1, 2007
Posts: 225
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How do priests, nuns, etc all manage to resist committing sins of the flesh? Or do they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beafedor View Post
By means of us members of the Church getting off the internet, getting on our knees and praying for their sanctification.
Yay for a great reply!!
__________________
Joe


http://laypriesthood.angelfire.com

Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old Feb 9, '11, 9:41 pm
kentuckyliz kentuckyliz is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: July 16, 2004
Posts: 1,058
Religion: practicing Catholic...one day I'll get it right
Send a message via Yahoo to kentuckyliz Send a message via Skype™ to kentuckyliz
Default Re: How do priests, nuns, etc all manage to resist committing sins of the flesh? Or do they?

Hormones that fuel sex drive start dropping sharply after age 30 or so, and really sharply decrease in midlife. Biologically it gets easier with aging. Priest, nun, or single (like me).
__________________


Lamb of God, you take away the sin of the world!
Have mercy on us and grant us peace.

Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old Feb 10, '11, 5:30 pm
Katrina5 Katrina5 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: September 12, 2008
Posts: 464
Default Re: How do priests, nuns, etc all manage to resist committing sins of the flesh? Or do they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannm View Post
If I were a nun I think I would have had a harder time wearing the same habit every day than giving up sex.
Ha! That was the easiest part. I still dress in an almost uniform because I don't like making the decision what to wear, even after years of being in 'civies'. At our last reunion with my classmates, the ones who are still nuns were better dressed than I was-- jeans, oxford shirt and sweatshirt...so comfortable.

Yes, people are unique. I liked what one person wrote about hormones dropping off. If you can hang on until age thirty, you're probably going to make it.
Another thing is, there are still 5 nuns to every priest in the USA. Somehow women have it easier in that regard. Biology is destiny.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old Feb 10, '11, 5:44 pm
debraran debraran is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 30, 2006
Posts: 1,125
Religion: catholic
Default Re: How do priests, nuns, etc all manage to resist committing sins of the flesh? Or do they?

One of my twins was fascinated by The Sisters for Life, primarily at the time, because of their habit. She LOVED Catholic school because of uniforms, loved knowing what to wear, everyone was the same and you had the occasional "dress-up" day. When students are her public high school complained about the idea of uniforms being brought in, they were "individuals" etc. she wrote a nice paper about how we all have our own uniforms, teens like to dress alike anyway, uniforms just cover more. : )
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8479Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Weejee
5153CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: Vim71
4429Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: daughterstm
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3864SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3762Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: daughterstm
3332Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3288Poems and Reflections
Last by: tonyg
3225Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3116For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Weejee



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 8:47 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.