Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 9, '11, 8:12 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Bless Me Ultima

My English class is beginning to read this book next week and I am slightly concerned about what I have heard about what it says about the Catholic Church. From what I have been told it is almost flat out anti Catholic, and sets Catholics as Mary worshippers.

I have looked for a Catholic anaylsis online but have been unsucessful. Has what I have heard been correct? Or are my friends over reacting?
Old Feb 9, '11, 10:08 pm

Default Re: Bless Me Ultima

This novel misrepresents the Catholic Church, in my opinion. It makes it seem as if the Catholic Church teaches an unforgiving, unmerciful God. The priest in the novel spoke so much about hell, but never did we read about God's mercy and forgiveness. I felt so hurt when reading the novel.
Old Feb 9, '11, 10:17 pm

NEVER ONCE in the entire novel was Jesus Christ, the God of Christianity, presented as merciful and forgiving. The novel presented the Christian God as angry, unmerciful and unforgiving. This is a total misrepresentation.
Old Feb 9, '11, 11:33 pm

It has been nearly 2 decades since I read it but NguyenKimPhat seems to be on the mark.

Also, the Eucharist is misrepresented and a fortune teller/witch (the titular Ultima) is presented as being the only person with a sound grasp of religion.
Old Feb 10, '11, 3:11 am

I'll preface this by saying that I've never read this book. However, it was assigned reading by the Spanish language program at my Catholic high school for many, many years. There were a lot of very orthodox teachers at my school, the principal was a priest, and well over 70% of the students took Spanish. And never once did I hear a peep about that book, other that occasional complaints from the students that it was long.

It is entirely possible that it does not portray the Church in the most favorable fashion. That is no reason why it should not be read. It is a classic piece of literature. You did not say how old you are, but my guess is that if you are old enough to be assigned this reading, then you are old enough to listen to opinions about the Church that are different from yours and not have your faith shaken at its roots.

I hope you enjoy the book.
Old Feb 10, '11, 4:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Tree View Post
I'll preface this by saying that I've never read this book. However, it was assigned reading by the Spanish language program at my Catholic high school for many, many years. There were a lot of very orthodox teachers at my school, the principal was a priest, and well over 70% of the students took Spanish. And never once did I hear a peep about that book, other that occasional complaints from the students that it was long.

It is entirely possible that it does not portray the Church in the most favorable fashion. That is no reason why it should not be read. It is a classic piece of literature. You did not say how old you are, but my guess is that if you are old enough to be assigned this reading, then you are old enough to listen to opinions about the Church that are different from yours and not have your faith shaken at its roots.

I hope you enjoy the book.
I will certainly read it, I have nothing against the book itself. I was just wondering how far the book goes in talking about the Catholic faith incorrectly. My friend made it sound similar to the Da Vinci Code. I just wanted to know what to expect from other people.

Thanks for the help everyone
Old Feb 10, '11, 12:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redratfish View Post
I will certainly read it, I have nothing against the book itself. I was just wondering how far the book goes in talking about the Catholic faith incorrectly. My friend made it sound similar to the Da Vinci Code. I just wanted to know what to expect from other people.

Thanks for the help everyone
It doesn't go far at all. It offers just enough "detail" to establish that the protagonist is Catholic. I am sure that all but the weakest Catholics would see through the misstatements easily (and suspend disbelief as necessary for the enjoyment of the story).

I haven't read The Da Vinci Code at all, but Ultima is generally milder than what I have been heard of Dan Brown's book.
Old Feb 10, '11, 1:41 pm
Forum Elder

I have read the book and found it to be of a dubious spirituality and inaccurate (screwed up is better) regarding Catholicism. I deeply regret its inclusion to the Texas curriculum. I can only conclude it is some attempt at political correctness to the Native American and Hispanic culture.
Old Feb 11, '11, 11:14 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian (seeking admission to the Catholic Church)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NguyenKimPhat View Post
NEVER ONCE in the entire novel was Jesus Christ, the God of Christianity, presented as merciful and forgiving. The novel presented the Christian God as angry, unmerciful and unforgiving. This is a total misrepresentation.
But isn't it possible that this is an accurate representation of how the author experienced Catholicism? Just because you got the message that God is loving and forgiving doesn't mean that everyone from a Catholic cultural background did.

I've had too many Catholics and ex-Catholics (generally of an older generation) tell me that they grew up with that picture of God to believe that it was all their fault. Clearly there's something about the way catechesis was often done in the past that gave that impression.

Edwin
Old Feb 11, '11, 1:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contarini View Post
But isn't it possible that this is an accurate representation of how the author experienced Catholicism? Just because you got the message that God is loving and forgiving doesn't mean that everyone from a Catholic cultural background did.

I've had too many Catholics and ex-Catholics (generally of an older generation) tell me that they grew up with that picture of God to believe that it was all their fault. Clearly there's something about the way catechesis was often done in the past that gave that impression.

Edwin
It certainly is possible. Even when I read the book, I could tell that the portrayal of Catholicism was filled with poor catechesis and abuses. Given the long and varied history of the Church, it did not surprise me at all. Indeed, the sections that discuss Catholicism could well be studied as one example of how not to run a parish or catechize.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media