Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 14, '11, 8:22 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Abortion drug accidentally given to pregnant woman

This is horrible!

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Health/201...-error-110209/

Old Feb 14, '11, 8:28 am
Forum Elder

Default Re: Abortion drug accidentally given to pregnant woman

It is actually a chemotherapy drug, not an abortion drug. It can cause abortions, and also birth defects.

The lady was accidentally given a prescription of a woman undergoing chemo who has the same last name and a similar first name.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Feb 14, '11, 9:33 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Every single patient, pregnant or not, has the right to receive their correct medication, in the correct dose. Unfortunately, medicine errors are the most common errors. And yes, they can cause some really bad things to happen
Old Feb 14, '11, 6:34 pm

Religion: Convert practicing the faith

I read about this too and was appalled. I am no health professional, but I work in a group home and we are trained to do multiple checks to ensure that we are giving the right drug and dosage to the right person, at the right time, in the right way. We have the "triple check" and "5 rights" when administering meds. When there are serious medical errors, not only is there paperwork that needs to be completed, but you get suspended or terminated. If there was ever such a serious error as the one that happened to this poor woman, you would hands-down, be fired. Immediately. We're not even "professionals," and have these consequences.

"A woman's heart should be so lost in God that a man must seek Him in order to find her."

When a woman veils her body in modest clothing, she is not hiding herself from men. On the contrary, she is revealing her dignity to them
Old Feb 14, '11, 7:40 pm

From the article, the pharmacy offered to pay medical expenses incurred as a result of the mistake. They had better be a little better prepared, because I would imagine they'll be charged with gross negligence and/or wrongful death.
Old Feb 15, '11, 6:26 am

Religion: Christian

It's very sad. And I'm sure that who ever handed the wrong prescription to the wrong customer is feeling horrible and probably is out of a job.
If the patient got someone elses prescription, there is a problem there as well.
And I have to ask why on earth someone gets an RX and doesn't read the label until AFTER they take a pill and feel ill.
Here in Arizona, when you get an RX, the pharmacist is required to tell you about the drug and talk about the side effects, I guess this is in Az only? They even talk and explain to me when I pick up an RX for my dog!!
EVERYONE should assume that there could be an error and they should read the label and make sure it's for the right person and it's the drug their doctor said they were prescribing. If they have any question at all about it not being quite right, then call the doctor's office or call the pharmacy.
So as a medical professional (nurse for many years) I see that this error has many people to "blame."
Please, as long as humans are responsible for these things (and I can't imagine a robot doing this job) there are going to be errors, we humans make mistakes, every day, in every profession.
We as customers are responsible for double checking things before we pop them into our mouths. READ the literature that is stapled to the bag, ask questions!

Edited to add: If you are picking up a prescription and are pregnant, ALWAYS mention this to the pharmacist and ask if this drug is OK for a pregnant woman.
Old Feb 15, '11, 8:23 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
It is actually a chemotherapy drug, not an abortion drug. It can cause abortions, and also birth defects.

The lady was accidentally given a prescription of a woman undergoing chemo who has the same last name and a similar first name.
I realize that this was a drug for chemo that can help heal, and it is not just to cause abortions. I also realize that it was a prescription drug, not an over-the-counter, so this should never have happened. BUT...mistakes happen. This case of a pregnant woman accidentally getting this drug serves as a reminder that pills like the "morning after" and various other drugs developed to cause abortions and that serve no medical benefit should be illegal for the safety of the rest of us. Legalized chemical abortions through pills from pharmacies presents a danger to every pregnant woman who wants to keep her baby.

The government has made some drugs, like the acne drug acutane, very difficult for doctors to even prescribe because of the serious birth defects that they can cause. I don't know the specifics of how this particular chemo drug is prescribed, but drugs that have serious consequences to developing humans should be regulated very carefully.

Prayers for this woman and her developing child.
Old Feb 15, '11, 8:44 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic Harry Potter

I agree with the above poster. Although this is a HORRIBLE mistake we are responsible for what we put in our mouths. I will never forget this becuase my neighbor once recieved a perscription and the little white pill had a different number on it. It was quite the catch...but she'd had taken the medicine for nearly 20 years and KNEW something was wrong. Even though the medicine was critical she didn't take it and called her DR. The Dr thought she was quite nuts but told her to come in.

It turns out the pharmacy made a mistake. Had she taken the meds...even one dose...she would of died on the spot of heart failure.
Old Feb 15, '11, 8:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh4 View Post
And I have to ask why on earth someone gets an RX and doesn't read the label until AFTER they take a pill and feel ill. EVERYONE should assume that there could be an error and they should read the label and make sure it's for the right person and it's the drug their doctor said they were prescribing. If they have any question at all about it not being quite right, then call the doctor's office or call the pharmacy.
A pharmacy can give someone an incorrect drug with the correct label on it, and if you've never taken the drug before you don't necessarily know what the drug is supposed to look like. This is why many pharmacies now print a description of the drug on the label, but not all do this.

Knowing mistakes can happen, consumers should be vigilant, but it is the pharmacy's fault- not the person taking the drug. Especially if they have never seen the drug they are supposed to be taking before.
Old Feb 15, '11, 5:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaShoreGirl View Post
I agree with the above poster. Although this is a HORRIBLE mistake we are responsible for what we put in our mouths. I will never forget this becuase my neighbor once recieved a perscription and the little white pill had a different number on it. It was quite the catch...but she'd had taken the medicine for nearly 20 years and KNEW something was wrong. Even though the medicine was critical she didn't take it and called her DR. The Dr thought she was quite nuts but told her to come in.

It turns out the pharmacy made a mistake. Had she taken the meds...even one dose...she would of died on the spot of heart failure.
You can't go by what a drug looks like anymore because many drugs have multiple manufacturers making it. The only way you can be sure that the pills inside the bottle match the drug description on the label is to pull out the pill and make the pharmacist identify it. There is a book that has pictures of each drug, and all pharmacies should have it. So unless a drug isn't available as a generic, and only has one manufacturer, you can't always go by look and/or description.

As for a previous poster who said these drugs shouldn't be on the market at all, just in case it's given incorrectly...well, as long as a woman wants to take an abortificant, it will be available. Even if it's taken off the market, it will available off the market...just like any other drug that one wants to take. But a medication error is just that, a medication error. It shouldn't happen whether it's metoprolol, simvastatin or plan b.

Also consider, there are many category X drugs out there that will affect the unborn, including standard blood pressure medications such as benicar and cozaar...and keep in mind that methotrexate isn't only taken to help abort, it's a legitimate drug. It's unlikely a medication will be discontinued just because a pregnant woman might ingest it. There are other customers out there besides pregnant women who need their medications just like anyone else. A better goal would be to make sure the pharmacists and nurses follow the patient's identifying rights so they get the correct medication prescribed.
Old Feb 15, '11, 6:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenswithkids View Post
I realize that this was a drug for chemo that can help heal, and it is not just to cause abortions. I also realize that it was a prescription drug, not an over-the-counter, so this should never have happened. BUT...mistakes happen. This case of a pregnant woman accidentally getting this drug serves as a reminder that pills like the "morning after" and various other drugs developed to cause abortions and that serve no medical benefit should be illegal for the safety of the rest of us. Legalized chemical abortions through pills from pharmacies presents a danger to every pregnant woman who wants to keep her baby.

The government has made some drugs, like the acne drug acutane, very difficult for doctors to even prescribe because of the serious birth defects that they can cause. I don't know the specifics of how this particular chemo drug is prescribed, but drugs that have serious consequences to developing humans should be regulated very carefully.

Prayers for this woman and her developing child.

You should realize that the Morning After Pill is nothing more than high dose birth control pills. It will not cause an abortion, it will only help to delay ovulation if it is about to happen.

The drug in question here, is actually now used not only for cancer patients but also to save pregnant women's lives when they discover that she has a pregnancy in her fallopian tube.

While we may not agree with the Birth Control pill it's not going to stop being sold.

There are many dangerous drugs out there to pregnant ladies, including over the counter ones. There are numerous drugs that if any of us mistakenly took them could do us serious harm or kill us.

It's a sad human error that occurred.
Old Feb 15, '11, 7:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart4home View Post
You should realize that the Morning After Pill is nothing more than high dose birth control pills. It will not cause an abortion, it will only help to delay ovulation if it is about to happen.
Considering that birth control pills secondary mechanism is to make the uterus lining inhospitable to the fertilized egg, thereby causing an abortion......

Also, taking the Morning After Pill while pregnant CAN cause a miscarriage.

Old Feb 15, '11, 10:09 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:

The drug in question here, is actually now used not only for cancer patients but also to save pregnant women's lives when they discover that she has a pregnancy in her fallopian tube.

While we may not agree with the Birth Control pill it's not going to stop being sold.

There are many dangerous drugs out there to pregnant ladies, including over the counter ones. There are numerous drugs that if any of us mistakenly took them could do us serious harm or kill us.

It's a sad human error that occurred.
To add to OsuBride's correct statement that the morning after pill can prevent implantation, ordinary birth control pills can prevent implantation as well. Thus they don't just "delay ovulation."

My Blog
A Snood for All Seasons
06/08 07/10 8/11 11/12 Due 10/14
Old Feb 16, '11, 5:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxWife View Post
To add to OsuBride's correct statement that the morning after pill can prevent implantation, ordinary birth control pills can prevent implantation as well. Thus they don't just "delay ovulation."
Yes, you are correct, but that didn't sound like what the OP was getting at.

I'm not out to debate, the misunderstood by many, workings of hormonal b/c because I am quite aware of them.

While the morning after pill could prevent the implantation of a fertilized embryo, thus causing an abortion, my point was it's workings are the same as the pill. The hormones in the pill are allowable by the Church IF the reason for using them is NOT to prevent pregnancy.

I was pointing out, that this mistake had NOTHING to do with abortion and we can not in good conscience try to lobby for the removal of every drug that could lead to a woman having an abortion, that also help to save other's lives.

For example Cytotec. A drug used to treat ulcers can also be used to cause abortions. This was sadly discovered when they gave it for its original purpose to pregnant women.
This is the drug that is usually prescribed for a medical abortion.

This situation was the result of a human error. A very sad and misfortunate chain of events.

Last edited by heart4home; Feb 16, '11 at 6:18 am.
Old Feb 16, '11, 7:25 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
This is not morally allowable. It is a direct abortion.

The only morally permissable method of dealing with a tubal pregancy is surgery on the tube.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life