Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 4, '11, 7:45 pm

Religion: Ukrainian Greek Catholic
Default Re: Demon Attacking me in my sleep!!!!!

Is it possible that a demon could use sleep paralysis to attack people, use the medical problem for his chance to attack people. Could he not use natural things as this to work on his side?
Old Apr 4, '11, 7:53 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278

You know, before you come to the conclusion that this is indeed a demonic attack, you may want to tell your doctor about this. He/she may want to order a sleep study just to make sure you aren't experiencing some kind of sleeping disorder.

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Apr 5, '11, 5:55 am

We have the Church to guide us here. Whenever they are investigating supernatural occurrence, they always investigate thoroughly as to whether there are natural explanations first. The Church has the wisdom of 2 millenium to guide us. Listen to her.
Old Apr 5, '11, 6:12 pm

Not judging here, but you may want to examine the (your) past very carefully and think about the possibility of the following: a) have you ever, even if only 'joking' or in a group situation 'for fun', called upon an 'entity' or 'ghost'? b) have you ever used a Ouija board or practiced ANY form of occult practice, or consulted with a palm reader or other 'spiritualist'? c) do you have a family history of witchcraft or do you have friends who dabble or take seriously anything having to do with the occult? d) do you practice yoga or have you had a Reiki massage or acupuncture treatment? e) do you have new age objects in your house or your bedroom, dragons or fairies or dolphins or even posters of images that are fantasy? f) has anyone given you an antique, or do you have an antique bed or other old object that's been given to you, handed down, or that you purchased?

Every night before going to bed call upon the Precious Blood of Jesus to cover and shield you, within and without. This isn't magic or superstition ~ even the very Name of Jesus is powerful as He is the very source of grace and healing and will deliver you from every evil. Also, don't forget that if you truly believe in Jesus then you have His authority to order the demons to leave and leave you alone. You can cast them out of your life, your bedroom and your house in His Holy Name. Demons fear the His Holy Name and you DO have authority over demons and Satan himself. You don't have to tolerate their attacks but you must also cast out and renounce anything or any reason they have to hang around.

Last edited by Victory9; Apr 5, '11 at 6:31 pm.
Old Apr 6, '11, 6:52 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic Convert 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnes88 View Post
Is it possible that a demon could use sleep paralysis to attack people, use the medical problem for his chance to attack people. Could he not use natural things as this to work on his side?
I think it is very possible. Do I have proof? No.

even mental illness, I believe, can be used by demons for their own cause, again proof? No. but we must be ready.

OP, I am praying for you.

Dana
Old Apr 6, '11, 7:11 am

I experienced sleep paralysis once. When it happened, there was no doubt in my mind that it was a demonic attack. But it was the middle of the night, and I was waking, when our minds are open to all kinds of things.

I called an exorcist years later, and recounted my experience. He said that it's possible that it was a demonic attack, but since I never experienced the problem again, to not worry about it. It may have simply been sleep paralysis.
Old Apr 6, '11, 7:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory9 View Post
e) do you have new age objects in your house or your bedroom, dragons or fairies or dolphins or even posters of images that are fantasy?
Dolphins? What's with dolphins?

Baltimore Catholics join me here!
Old Apr 6, '11, 7:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltobetsy View Post
I don't know, but I found this gem doing a google search of dolphin and evil:

http://www.anti-dolphin.org/human_pride.php
Old Apr 6, '11, 10:19 am
Prayer Warrior

I've had several instances of sleep paralysis during my lifetime and I was always convinced that I was being attacked. Long story short..I have sleep apnea and since I've been on the c-pap I havent had any attacks. My sister also has a more severe form of sleep apnea which causes her to have a machine that breathes for you (so to speak). According to my readings when I slept I lost 80% of my oxygen and my body was in constant fight or flight mode..

F/y/i even small children can have sleep apnea
Old Apr 6, '11, 3:32 pm
Forum Elder
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havard View Post

Thanx, I needed some humor today....
Old Apr 6, '11, 3:34 pm
Forum Elder
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltobetsy View Post
Although dolphins probably should not have been on the list, given they are a perfectly natural species; they are special to new-age followers.

ICXC NIKA
Old Apr 6, '11, 5:11 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havard View Post

WAY too funny!

All humor aside, OP, this sounds like a medical problem. Don't attribute too much power to the demonic- as St. Therese and St. Teresa of Avila say, demons are really pitiful creatures when a soul cleaves unto God and stands up to them. But if it eases your mind (and draws you back to the Faith!) here is a bedtime protection prayer you can say along with the St. Michael the Archangel prayer and prayer to your Guardian Angel:

"In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, strengthened by the intercession of the Immaculate Virgin Mary, Mother of God, of Blessed Michael the Archangel, of the Blessed Apostles Peter and Paul, and all the Saints and Angels of Heaven, and powerful in the holy authority of the name His Name, I subject my mind and my dreams only to the work of the Holy Spirit. I ask you Lord to bind up all powers of darkness and forbid them to work in my dreams or any part of my subconscious while I sleep. Amen."

God bless!

+ Saint Hilary of Poitiers, Doctor of the Church
Old Apr 6, '11, 5:19 pm

Dolphins have become a big part of New Age thinking, which is why you see them so much now in art. They, along with buddhas, stonehenge, fairies, astrology, planets, etc. Google 'dolphins and New Age' and a bunch of hits will show up. Here is just one
example: Swim with Dolphins Hawaii, Spirituality & Spiritual Growth; A new ...
A site offering a deeper connection to spirit through whale and dolphin swims and retreats in Hawaii, New Zealand and Tonga; in addition to Hawaii ...
www.oneloveonespirit.com/ - Cached - Similar
Old Apr 7, '11, 4:07 pm

Pray. And get a sleep study done.

God has richly blessed us in that He has created humanity with an intellect so that we could study and develop medicine, plus other sciences, to explain His world and to minister to each other. He has filled the world with good physicians. Don't hesitate to consult one.

Sleep paralysis used to be called "Old Hag Syndrome." It is a very real medical condition, and one symptom is wakefulness without being able to move, and the sufferer frequently has the sensation that there is an evil entity in the room with them. I had it for years, sometimes as frequently as a couple of times a week. I tried prayer and not much of anything happened, and discussed this with my priest when he remarked one Sunday morning about how exhausted I looked. He was the one who suggested getting to a doctor and requesting a sleep study. I was able to get some very low dose medication, and haven't had a problem since.
Old Apr 8, '11, 5:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkAquarius84 View Post
I need your help. Every once and a while i have sleep paralysis frequently every week and I am sick of it. Lastnight before I fell asleep I told God i believe he will protect while I sleep. Well this was one of the worst..I was sleeping on my side and suddenly when I fell asleep or whatever I coulnd;t move and it felt like someone lifted my pillow under my head and put it on my head with pressure. I got scared.. luckly I could breathe. But I am so sick of it..I am trying to become a catholic and have to wait a year to be baptized but. I remember i posted a similer situation and someone gave me a prayer, and that prayer made it all stopped for like a month or more. but i also have my rosary i tried that but no luck. Somebody please pray for me or help me what to say.

Dic oratio:

Sancte Michael Arcangele et Angele Dei, qui custos est mei...

These two prayers learned by heart will help you.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality