Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 18, '11, 11:00 am
Banned

Religion: Atheist.
Question Why does the Quran speak more about the Blessed Virgin Mary than the Bible?

I have never read the Quran (I may try to one day), but this is a fact that has intrigued me for quite a while.

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk
Old Feb 18, '11, 1:08 pm
Banned

Religion: Cradle Catholic - Revert
Default Re: Why does the Quran speak more about the Blessed Virgin Mary than the Bible?

Mary is highly honored by Muslim women who wish to become pregnant. Muslim's believe that God interceded with a miracle so that she became pregnant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_views_on_Mary

However, Muslim's are taught to believe that the baby she conceived, was not the Incarnated Word of God, and that Jesus is not Divine.
Old Feb 18, '11, 4:10 pm

Religion: Catholic Since 4/3/10
Default Re: Why does the Quran speak more about the Blessed Virgin Mary than the Bible?

Mohammed took what little he knew about Christianity and Judaism and then made up the rest. He had to come up with his own version of what happened to be able to convert the Christians in the near east.
Old Feb 18, '11, 4:27 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz912 View Post
Mohammed took what little he knew about Christianity and Judaism and then made up the rest. He had to come up with his own version of what happened to be able to convert the Christians in the near east.
That's correct and after he died when his relatives and cronies cobbled together the Koran they assumed the Bible would verify everything they had been taught by Mohammed. When it didn't the only way they could get round that was to say that any part of the Bible which didn't agree with their teachings must be corrupt but those parts which agreed were correct. They considered the Bible a Holy Book but in the same breath say part of it is corrupt. What a joke! Like their entire false religion.
Old Mar 1, '11, 7:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohm Bawerk View Post
I have never read the Quran (I may try to one day), but this is a fact that has intrigued me for quite a while.

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk
I don't think it does. The Quran has one chapter about Mary, the Bible has 3 (Luke 1-2 and Rev. 12), plus many individual passages throughout the Gospels, and in Galatians 4:4-5.

And that's just the New Testament. There are several prophecies, some short, some lengthy, in the Old Testament, about Mary, that are far above anything the Quran tells us about her. I don't know why someone would say the Quran has more about Mary than the Bible; I think it's ridiculous.

But even if it did, a lot of sand does not equal a mountain in weight. The Quran may have a bunch of little things about Mary, but what precious little the Bible tells us is equal to a mountain in weight.
Old Mar 1, '11, 9:02 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
That's correct and after he died when his relatives and cronies cobbled together the Koran they assumed the Bible would verify everything they had been taught by Mohammed. When it didn't the only way they could get round that was to say that any part of the Bible which didn't agree with their teachings must be corrupt but those parts which agreed were correct. They considered the Bible a Holy Book but in the same breath say part of it is corrupt. What a joke! Like their entire false religion.
LMAO! Somebody doesn't pull punches around here. Good.
Old Mar 1, '11, 10:14 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic Convert

Wow, I am surprised to see such mean spirited comments on a Christian forum!

To the OP, I don't think the Quran talks more about Mary than the Bible, there's just one Sura about her. What made you think that?

Old Mar 1, '11, 10:50 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
As Catholics I don't think we need to gratuitously insult any religion and religious text like that. The Pope wouldn't, nor would the cardinals and bishops.

We get upset when Protestants insult Catholicism. We get up in arms when non-Christians insult Christianity and the Bible. But it's ok to insult Mohammed, Islam and the Koran??

Anyway back to the actual topic, I counted 34 mentions of the name Mary in the Koran, most seem to refer to the mother of Jesus. One chapter is devoted to Mary. All such mentions were written with the very highest respect.

Mary (mother of Jesus) is mentioned in the New Testament about 19 times by name (Mary), but otherwise is referred to, not using her name, on about 11/12 occasions (depending on how you count indirect references).
---God may be calling you to the Third Order of St Francis - Ordo Franciscanus Saecularis---
Old Mar 1, '11, 11:07 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksa View Post
Wow, I am surprised to see such mean spirited comments on a Christian forum!

To the OP, I don't think the Quran talks more about Mary than the Bible, there's just one Sura about her. What made you think that?
There was a documentary on HISTORY about it before, if memory serves me correct.

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk
Old Mar 1, '11, 11:24 pm

Religion: Greek Orthodox
Send a message via Yahoo to lampstand

The aforementioned Sura spends most of its time, as does much of the Koran, ranting about how one should fear the coming end of the world and the day of destruction. Although the Sura may be named after Mary, it deals with her primarily in the beginning, and then for the rest of the chapter returns to the repetitious we're-all-gonna-die claptrap. (Yes, I've actually read it, and the entire Koran.) You'd be surprised how much of the Koran sounds like a street preacher yelling at people about Armageddon. Almost every chapter has at least several pages about the rewards for those who obey, and the fire and destruction for those who do not.

Mohammed copied from the holy texts of Judaism and Christianity because he wanted to convert their people and take their lands. He did a little of the first, but a lot of the second. The Middle East used to be populated primarily by Jewish people, Christians and pagans. Then came the rise of Islam, with its warlord leader. Much of what Mohammed has to say about Jesus and Mary has a strong resemblance to the beliefs of heretical Christian sects such as the Nestorians and others. Why is that? Because he took it from them. It's been speculated that he may have even been raised as one of them, before his 'vision.'

Quantity doesn't matter; quality does. What Mohammed says about the Virgin Mary and Jesus may sound pretty, in parts, but it isn't the truth. What the Bible has to say, is. This is why even though the books in the Bible may not be as long as some parts of the Koran, they carry infinitely more weight.
Old Mar 2, '11, 5:34 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampstand
The Middle East used to be populated primarily by Jewish people, Christians and pagans.
Most of those "pagans" were Arabs. We can at least be glad that Islam converted the Arab nations to the worship of the One True God. The Muslims are devout believers, and put their faith into actions on a daily basis, both publicly and privately. Would that Christians had as much fervor in general.

Back in the Revolutionary war period of the US, we used to look upon the French and other Continental nations as decadent and corrupt. We were horrified at their lack of morals, infidelity and exaltation of the ridiculous. How must Islamic nations look at the West today (led by the US.) It's impossible to avoid with mass media.

There's much Christians can complain about with Islam, but they are far from being good examples themselves.

I believe someday, God willing, through the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Muslim people will be converted to Christianity.

“Reflect, Gentlemen, how many disputes you must have listened to, which were interminable, because neither party understood either his opponent or himself” --John Henry Newman
Old Mar 2, '11, 5:38 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbroseSJ View Post

I believe someday, God willing, through the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Muslim people will be converted to Christianity.
This happened in 1968 in Zeitoun, Egypt, where the Blessed Virgin Mary was believed to have appeared (confirmed by the Coptic Church), and it converted thousands of Muslims to Christianity, who at the time were persecuting a Christian minority. I would be surprised if such were to happen today, given the reported persecutions of Christians early this year.

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk
Old Mar 2, '11, 5:40 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampstand View Post
The aforementioned Sura spends most of its time, as does much of the Koran, ranting about how one should fear the coming end of the world and the day of destruction. Although the Sura may be named after Mary, it deals with her primarily in the beginning, and then for the rest of the chapter returns to the repetitious we're-all-gonna-die claptrap. (Yes, I've actually read it, and the entire Koran.) You'd be surprised how much of the Koran sounds like a street preacher yelling at people about Armageddon. Almost every chapter has at least several pages about the rewards for those who obey, and the fire and destruction for those who do not.

Mohammed copied from the holy texts of Judaism and Christianity because he wanted to convert their people and take their lands. He did a little of the first, but a lot of the second. The Middle East used to be populated primarily by Jewish people, Christians and pagans. Then came the rise of Islam, with its warlord leader. Much of what Mohammed has to say about Jesus and Mary has a strong resemblance to the beliefs of heretical Christian sects such as the Nestorians and others. Why is that? Because he took it from them. It's been speculated that he may have even been raised as one of them, before his 'vision.'

Quantity doesn't matter; quality does. What Mohammed says about the Virgin Mary and Jesus may sound pretty, in parts, but it isn't the truth. What the Bible has to say, is. This is why even though the books in the Bible may not be as long as some parts of the Koran, they carry infinitely more weight.
Quite brunt, but I like this response very much. It's interesting to read your perspective on the Koran. It gives some insight. I would like to read the Quran one day.

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk
Old Mar 2, '11, 6:06 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohm Bawerk View Post
Quite brunt, but I like this response very much. It's interesting to read your perspective on the Koran. It gives some insight. I would like to read the Quran one day.

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk
I mean blunt*

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture