Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old May 3, '05, 6:33 pm

Religion: Catholic
Question How to obtain a framed papal blessing

Some of you might have seen a papal blessing for a family hanging on a friends/relatives wall.

How does one go about getting one?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old May 3, '05, 6:55 pm

Default Re: How to obtain a framed papal blessing

My mother got us one for our wedding -- I really am grateful to have had the pope praying for us -- there was a time where I think his prayers were what kept me strong and determined -- I think she went thru her church and made a donation...I don't know how much but I'm sure your church would be able to point you in the right direction?
Old May 3, '05, 7:00 pm
Book Club Member

You may request one through your Diocesan Chancery office. Depending on how your Diocese does these things, you may need to make your request through your Pastor. There will be a charge for the materials and artwork for the certificate (not for the blessing itself) which may be about $30 to $60, depending on the size and ornateness of the certificate. Your Diocese may place some restrictions on requests; mine requires that the occasion for the blessing be current, not several years ago. Due to the time and work necessary to create the certificate (these are not simply run off a laser printer), it is not unusual for a certificate to take six months or more for delivery.
Old May 4, '05, 12:05 pm

There's an office at the Vatican that deals with them. The Office for Blessings or something. Maybe it's the Apostolic Penitentiary, I forget.

I have one. A relative who traveled to Rome with Cardinal Bernardin and Bishop Abrowmowitz got it for me at the time of the consistory of 84, I think. He has a papal zuchetto from that trip, too.
Old May 4, '05, 2:03 pm

Perhaps the Vatican website would have some information too (sorry, I don't know it offhand). Or better yet, do you know someone in Rome or someone who's going there?
Old May 8, '05, 1:36 am

OK, so from what I understand in exploring this further, the framed blessing things are quite readily available at shops throughout Rome (and all the more so as you get closer to St. Peter's Square.) They are a regular commodity which one can buy in whatever design you like. (I assume that the blessing isn't what is for sale and maybe they still have to send in your form to the proper office which just rubber stamps everything, but the nice looking wall hanging can be whatever you choose for the right price.) There are even mail order catalogs which show various types which can be ordered. So if you know someone in Rome or someone who is taking a trip there, just give them a few bucks to get you what you want. If you don't have a Rome connection, basically find someone who does (maybe a priest or somebody at the chancery office.) They could collect the fee, fill out the form, and send it off for you to get the framed blessing commemoration.
Old May 8, '05, 1:47 am
Banned

I know F1 driver Rubens Barrichello had his family photo, though not framed, blessed by Pope JP II on the teams visit to Vatican.
Old Jul 1, '05, 4:59 pm
Resigned

Religion: catholic

I just received information from the diocese on how to obtain a papal blessing.. There are several sizes (different from your standard sizes in the U.S.), several options (printed, hand painted, photo included, etc.), and a variety of prices ($17.00 for 6x4 to $67.00 for a hand painted 20x14). I am having some difficulty, however, understanding the differences between the different models & understanding whose photo will be on the blessing (Pope Benedict XVI or the person being blessed). I'll have to call and get more information.

They do require a typed statement from your parish priest on church letterhead and signed by him stating that the person(s) concerned are Catholics. I think it would make a great gift.
Old Jul 1, '05, 5:05 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalledtoServe
I just received information from the diocese on how to obtain a papal blessing.. There are several sizes (different from your standard sizes in the U.S.), several options (printed, hand painted, photo included, etc.), and a variety of prices ($17.00 for 6x4 to $67.00 for a hand painted 20x14). I am having some difficulty, however, understanding the differences between the different models & understanding whose photo will be on the blessing (Pope Benedict XVI or the person being blessed). I'll have to call and get more information.

They do require a typed statement from your parish priest on church letterhead and signed by him stating that the person(s) concerned are Catholics. I think it would make a great gift.
[PHP][/PHP]

This is true. Although I live in Canada, I went through the parish and followed the same procedure. I got a 40th anniversary and a 50th anniversary for my parents' wedding anniversaries. Boy, I am sure glad I did as I believe it was the Pope's blessing that strenghthend my dad's physical health. He wasn't supposed to make for it his 40th. He died during their 54th wedding anniversary year.

Thank you for your blessing John Paul the Great!
Old Jul 1, '05, 5:05 pm
Resigned

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshana
[PHP][/PHP]

This is true. Although I live in Canada, I went through the parish and followed the same procedure. I got a 40th anniversary and a 50th anniversary for my parents' wedding anniversaries. Boy, I am sure glad I did as I believe it was the Pope's blessing that strenghthend my dad's physical health. He wasn't supposed to make for it his 40th. He died during their 54th wedding anniversary year.

Thank you for your blessing John Paul the Great!
What an incredible testimonial Soshana. Thanks for sharing this.
Old Jul 3, '05, 1:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalledtoServe
I am having some difficulty, however, understanding the differences between the different models & understanding whose photo will be on the blessing (Pope Benedict XVI or the person being blessed).
It'll be the pope's depiction.

The differences between the models are essentially artistic. You want something nicer, fancier, bigger, better framed - you pay for it. It's your momento, so they let you have whatever you want to make of it in that sense.
Old May 27, '10, 8:59 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: CATHOLIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
Some of you might have seen a papal blessing for a family hanging on a friends/relatives wall.

How does one go about getting one?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old May 27, '10, 9:00 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: CATHOLIC

HELP!!!!
Old May 3, '12, 12:36 am
Trial Membership

I just ordered a papal blessing (hand-painted on parchment) through the Archdiocese of Baltimore. It was very easy. The website says it could take up to six weeks to receive it.

Go to:
http://archbalt.3dcartstores.com/Pap...sing_c_10.html
Old May 3, '12, 10:12 am

Religion: Thank you POPE BENEDICT XVI We LOVE YOU! GOD BLESS YOU.
Thumbs up Re: How to obtain a framed papal blessing

Quote:
Originally Posted by marycpw View Post
I just ordered a papal blessing (hand-painted on parchment) through the Archdiocese of Baltimore. It was very easy. The website says it could take up to six weeks to receive it.

Go to:
http://archbalt.3dcartstores.com/Pap...sing_c_10.html

Awesome!

Thanks!

PAX
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence