Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 24, '11, 6:49 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Are Adam and Eve in Heaven?

All -

Please help.

Are Adam and Eve in Heaven?

The Catechism Of The Catholic Church, Paragraph #635, seems to suggest they are by saying...

...he has gone to free from sorrow Adam in his bonds and Eve, captive with him - He who is both their God and the son of Eve. . . "I am your God, who for your sake have become your son. . . I order you, O sleeper, to awake. I did not create you to be a prisoner in hell. Rise from the dead, for I am the life of the dead."

...and given that Christ did set them "free from sorrow" it seems they are "in Heaven" with the Angels and Saints.

http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/para/635.htm

What is the official Church teaching on the matter?

Do you know of any other official/Magesterial documents that discuss the matter?

Please advise.

Thank you.

Yours in Christ,

- Mark Kamoski
Old Feb 24, '11, 7:09 am

Default Re: Are Adam and Eve in Heaven?

According to Fr. Holweck in his "Dictionary of the Saints" 1924, Adam and Eve are honoured as full Saints in the Eastern Churches, but the West never granted them similar saintly honours.

They are often portrayed in the Byzantine tradition on the icon of Christ's descent into hades where Christ lifts Sts. Adam and Eve up by the hand. I've seen liturgical services in honour of Sts Adam and Eve (i.e. naming and invoking them directly).

The skull that is often portrayed under images of the Crucifixion of our Lord is that of Adam's. Tradition tells us that the Cross of our Lord was located directly above the grave of Adam and when our Lord's Precious Blood fell to the earth, It touched the bones of Adam, thereby saving him and through him, us (just as Original Sin was communicated to us all through Adam).

Alex
Old Feb 24, '11, 8:57 am
Prayer Warrior

I've never heard an official stand on this, but why couldn't they have been saved along with the other patriarchs and matriarchs of the church who had to wait until Jesus Christ died for our salvation? His mercy is for all of us sinners.
Old Feb 24, '11, 9:18 am
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is a tradition that says that besides the Original Sin, Adam and Eve did not sin anymore in their entire lives. And perhaps feeling the effect of losing Eden, they were remorseful enough to be fully repentant of their sin, thus worthy of being rescued by Christ from limbo.
Old Feb 24, '11, 10:10 am

Religion: Catholic

When I was child the 24th of December was supposed be the day for Adam and Eve, remembered as saints.

The names Adam and Eve were accepted as Catholic names.

They are not in the Maryrologium Romanum, and they have no office or Mass, nor commemoration.
Old Feb 24, '11, 5:42 pm
Forum Elder

The Office of Readings from the LOTH for Holy Saturday contains an ancient homily. It describes Jesus searching the Realm of the Dead for Adam, to join Him in leading those souls into Heaven.
Old Feb 24, '11, 7:15 pm

Religion: Traditional Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Roman View Post

The skull that is often portrayed under images of the Crucifixion of our Lord is that of Adam's. Tradition tells us that the Cross of our Lord was located directly above the grave of Adam...
Alex
This is the origin of why there is a relic of a saint on every Catholic altar for the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, because Our Lord's own Holy Sacrifice took place on the altar of Golgatha, the Place of the Skull.
Old Feb 24, '11, 7:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostradennis View Post
This is the origin of why there is a relic of a saint on every Catholic altar for the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, because Our Lord's own Holy Sacrifice took place on the altar of Golgatha, the Place of the Skull.
Actually, it is because in the early centuries of sub rosa Christian worship in Rome, they met and celebrated Mass in the catacombs, and would say the Mass on the tomb-slabs of the martyrs, who were considered the holiest of saints. The Catholic Encyclopedia explains, "This reverence for objects associated with a martyr gave rise to the custom of entombing such relics beneath the altars of newly erected churches, until it ultimately became the rule not to dedicate a church without them." That is why the custom has been for the altar to contain a relic, specifically, of a martyr, not just any old saint or dead person.

Old Feb 24, '11, 7:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkThompson View Post
Actually, it is because in the early centuries of sub rosa Christian worship in Rome, they met and celebrated Mass in the catacombs, and would say the Mass on the tomb-slabs of the martyrs, who were considered the holiest of saints
But why would the early Christians say Mass on the tomb-slabs of the holiest of saints? In Imitation of Christ. The custom grew from the catacombs but the origins sprung from Our Lord's crucifixion.
Old Feb 24, '11, 7:56 pm

Quote:
But why would the early Christians say Mass on the tomb-slabs of the holiest of saints? In Imitation of Christ. The custom grew from the catacombs but the origins sprung from Our Lord's crucifixion.
Source, please?

Old Feb 24, '11, 8:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkThompson View Post
Source, please?
I'll search my notes.
Old Feb 24, '11, 8:10 pm

Quote:
I'll search my notes.
To be honest, your theory essentially amounts to saying that the entire Christian practice of the veneration of relics comes from the largely unimportant fact that Christ was executed on a hill called "the place of the skull." That is to say, that Christians sought out burial-places so that they could offer the sacrifice of the Mass someplace where there were dead people. That's not what the early writings of Church Fathers show, though. After St. Polycarp's death ca. 156, it is recorded, "We took up his bones, which are more valuable than precious stones and finer than refined gold, and laid them in a suitable place, where the Lord will permit us to gather ourselves together, as we are able, in gladness and joy, and to celebrate the birthday of his martyrdom." You see, it is not that relics are important because they allow we to recreate the (supposed) conditions of Calvary, but that relics are themselves sacred and precious, and that is why we would want to celebrate Mass near them.

I'll be curious to hear what your notes say.

Old Feb 25, '11, 7:34 am

I don't want to make too many waves here, but isn't the creation story and fall of man in the "garden" in Genesis considered metaphorical by the Church? Yes, there was a real fall of man, but it wasn't ACTUALLY Eve eating an apple that caused us to be separated from God. So, I'm guessing that whoever Adam and Eve actually represent would be in Heaven.
Old Feb 25, '11, 7:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternBlot View Post
I don't want to make too many waves here, but isn't the creation story and fall of man in the "garden" in Genesis considered metaphorical by the Church? Yes, there was a real fall of man, but it wasn't ACTUALLY Eve eating an apple that caused us to be separated from God. So, I'm guessing that whoever Adam and Eve actually represent would be in Heaven.
The answer to your question is NO. The Catholic Church always teaching that this is historical, but after the evolution theory came out many do not believe it anymore. So most people in the Catholic Church say that it is metaphorical. So it seems that the church itself is considering it that way.
Old Feb 25, '11, 7:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kelley View Post
The Office of Readings from the LOTH for Holy Saturday contains an ancient homily. It describes Jesus searching the Realm of the Dead for Adam, to join Him in leading those souls into Heaven.
An example of lex orandi, lex credendi.

"I am a daughter of the Church." St. Teresa of Jesus

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

Magister adest et vocat te.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics